Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks (760 Views)

Nigeria Banks: Is It Now A Law Or A Force To Have An Atm Card? / Dangote To List Dangote Refinery On The Nigeria Stock Exchange / Is This Right Or Wrong About Most Nigeria Banks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by Dongreat(m): 2:37pm On Feb 25, 2016
Dealing with a bank is a headache to start with, but sometimes they go that extra mile to be especially irritating. 

I had an interesting encounter, to say the least, with one of the leading bank in Nigeria about my Master card. 

Check out how he I handled it...I know you would have done the same!

In September 2013, I came back to Nigeria from the UK to commerce my NYSC but before that I opened an account with one of the leading bank in Nigeria, got my Master Card but all of a sudden I received a bill for my Master card that I had not yet used.

The balance was at #0.00 so I thought nothing of it and ignored the SMS. In November, I received another and ignored it still. The following month, the bank sent me a nasty note stating that they were going to close my account and cancel my card if I didn't send them the outstanding balance of #0.00. 

In retrospect, I probably should have let them just close the account and cancel the card but I had some cash in the account.

I called the bank stating my concern and I was told that the issue was a result of a computer error and that they would take care of it. 

The following month I reasoned that, if other charges appeared on the card, I would put an end to the nonsense at hand. So, I went online (konga and Jumia) and used the card to make a purchase, but it was declined. I called the bank again and they said the card was canceled for lack of payment. They apologized and said that, again, it had been a computer error and they would fix it right away. 

The next day, I got a SMS from the bank for #0.00 stating that payment on my account is overdue.

Assuming that this was yet another mistake, I again ignored it. But the following month I received yet another SMS saying I had twelve days to pay my account in full or the bank would close my account and any balance would be forfeited. Not knowing what else to do, I gave in, went to the bank, filled the credit payment form for #0.00 and gave it to the bank. At first the cashier looked at me like I was mad but after explaining my situation to him, he duly processed it and returned a statement to the effect that my account was paid in full.

A week later, the bank called, asking me why I submitted a credit payment form for #0.00. I explained to them the problem at length. 

The bank replied that the payment had caused their processing software to fail, and that the bank could not process any payment for any of their customers. The following month, I again received another letter from the bank saying that my payment was unsuccessful, and that I still owed #0.00 and I needed to pay the balance immediately

I have have been considering buying my girlfriend a Macbook pro for her birthday soonest, but I am going to get for her a typewriter instead.

Lalasticlala ishilove mynd44 oam4j‎

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by DesChyko: 3:01pm On Feb 25, 2016
You don't need Lalasticlala here man.
You need Seun himself grin
and a lawyer maybe?? undecided
Re: My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by pulsa(m): 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2016
Nigerian banks are nothing to write home about
Re: My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by Dongreat(m): 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2016
pulsa:
Nigerian banks are nothing to write home about
I concur man.

DesChyko:
You don't need Lalasticlala here man.

You need Seun himself grin

and a lawyer maybe?? undecided

Thanks man. Seun pls I need help o. Moderators where are thou?
Re: My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by Krak(m): 11:43pm On Feb 25, 2016
Dongreat:
Dealing with a bank is a headache to start with, but sometimes they go that extra mile to be especially irritating. 

I had an interesting encounter, to say the least, with one of the leading bank in Nigeria about my Master card. 

In September 2013, I came back to Nigeria from the UK to commerce my NYSC but before that I opened an account with one of the leading bank in Nigeria, got my Master Card but all of a sudden I received a bill for my Master card that I had not yet used.

The balance was at #0.00 so I thought nothing of it and ignored the SMS. In November, I received another and ignored it still. The following month, the bank sent me a nasty note stating that they were going to close my account and cancel my card if I didn't send them the outstanding balance of #0.00. 

In retrospect, I probably should have let them just close the account and cancel the card but I had some cash in the account.

I called the bank stating my concern and I was told that the issue was a result of a computer error and that they would take care of it. 

The following month I reasoned that, if other charges appeared on the card, I would put an end to the nonsense at hand. So, I went online (konga and Jumia) and used the card to make a purchase, but it was declined. I called the bank again and they said the card was canceled for lack of payment. They apologized and said that, again, it had been a computer error and they would fix it right away. 

The next day, I got a SMS from the bank for #0.00 stating that payment on my account is overdue.

Assuming that this was yet another mistake, I again ignored it. But the following month I received yet another SMS saying I had twelve days to pay my account in full or the bank would close my account and any balance would be forfeited. Not knowing what else to do, I gave in, went to the bank, filled the credit payment form for #0.00 and gave it to the bank. At first the cashier looked at me like I was mad but after explaining my situation to him, he duly processed it and returned a statement to the effect that my account was paid in full.

A week later, the bank called, asking me why I submitted a credit payment form for #0.00. I explained to them the problem at length. 

The bank replied that the payment had caused their processing software to fail, and that the bank could not process any payment for any of their customers. The following month, I again received another letter from the bank saying that my payment was unsuccessful, and that I still owed #0.00 and I needed to pay the balance immediately

I have have been considering buying my girlfriend a Macbook pro for her birthday soonest, but I am going to get for her a typewriter instead.

You need to close your account with that bank or one day the Nigerian police will drag you to the cell in order to enforce the payment of 0.00 Naira.

And you know how our cells be like. This in not the UK o.

3 Likes

Re: My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by lucien4scaffold(m): 4:15am On Feb 26, 2016
Dongreat:

Terrible experience with Bank like you. BTW, what business are you in?
Re: My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by Flexherbal(m): 6:33am On Feb 26, 2016
Our banks: when they mistakenly credit your account, they use every means to remove it. But when they mistakenly debit your account, they wait until you come to complain.
Re: My Ugly Experience With One Of The Nigeria Banks by Dongreat(m): 6:31pm On Mar 10, 2016
b

(1) (Reply)

Can A Civil Servant Obtain Loan Of 250 To 400 From Bank Of Industry / Fencing Solutions / NEXT Abuja With Fake And Adulterated Goods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.