Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,027 members, 7,810,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News (1145 Views)

Tekno Chills With Rapper Drake In VIP Section Of The Canadian Rapper’s Show / Wizkid Poses With Rapper Skepta As He Arrives London On Tour With Future / Wizkid And Drake To Feature In “Please Forgive Me.” Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by SirShymexx: 6:28pm On Feb 25, 2016
Drake signs to Skepta's Boy Better Know label

One of the biggest global names in hip-hop has signed to UK independent label Boy Better Know. Well, according to his Instagram anyway.
Last night Drake performed to a global audience at the Brit Awards with Rihanna. But instead of hanging around for the after parties he went to a small venue in east London and made a surprise appearance with Section Boyz. The Canadian rapper then put out this announcement on Instagram.

Around the same time BBK founder Skepta (Junior Adenuga) posted a picture on his own account. It shows a man in a T-shirt featuring the Boy Better Know logo above the icon for Drake's own OVO Sound label.

Drake's love affair with Boy Better Know has been public knowledge for a while. He brought Skepta out to perform Shutdown (which starts with a sample of Drake saying "truss mi daddy"wink at his headline set at Wireless Festival in 2015. Drake's previously been pictured wearing a Boy Better Know T-shirt, and he thanked Skepta in the credits for his mixtape If You're Reading This It's Too Late.

Oh, and he has a BBK tattoo...

Drake and Skepta have previously appeared together on Wizkid's Ojuelegba remix. Now that Drake's made the connection even more official than a tattoo (yes we know tattoos are pretty permanent) there could be more cross-Atlantic collaborations in the works for the Boy Better Know gang.

Who Are Boy Better Know?
If you know grime, you know BBK. If you know Drake - well you might have heard of some of their members. Boy Better Know is an independent grime label founded in 2005 by brothers JME (Jamie Adenuga) & Skepta (Junior Adenuga). Until now their biggest name was Wiley - and his top selling records came out on a different label. They often act more like a collective of artists than a label, performing gigs together under the label's name. They have released music using the Boy Better Know moniker - Too Many Man was an underground hit, although it didn't get anywhere near the Top 40.

They don't even have a proper website, Twitter account or official Facebook page. If they start putting out Drake records they might need to get one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35658387/drake-signs-to-skeptas-boy-better-know-label
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by madridguy(m): 6:28pm On Feb 25, 2016
I KNOW SAY ONE DAY I GO MAKE GREEN WHITE GREEN PROUD.
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by Last2comment(m): 6:29pm On Feb 25, 2016
grin
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by SirShymexx: 6:29pm On Feb 25, 2016
Drake “Signs” With British Grime Label Boy Better Know

Shortly after his live performance with Rihanna at the 2016 BRIT Awards last night (February 24), Drake took to Instagram to announce that he has “signed” to British grime label Boy Better Know.

“The first Canadian signed to BBK,” Drake wrote on Instagram. “Big up my brudda @skeptagram for life yeah. And my section gunners too.”

Often referred to as BBK for short, Boy Better Know is an independent grime label founded in 2005 by brothers Skepta and JME. Beats 1’s London anchor Julie Adenuga is the sister of the two emcees.

Throughout his career, Drake has been a known supporter of BBK and the British grime scene. Back in October, Skepta posted an image to Instagram of Drake getting a BBK tattoo inked on his shoulder.

Following the announcement, a string of U.K. artists took to social media to celebrate the news:
http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.37636/title.drake-signs-with-british-grime-label-boy-better-know
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by SirShymexx: 6:31pm On Feb 25, 2016
cc: mynd44 and lalasticlala

Please, put this thread in the right section. I can't post there for now cos of the spambot.

And also do the needful.
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by funlord(m): 6:36pm On Feb 25, 2016
angry

Take this your hot piece of garbage news to the celebrity section abeg! Abi skepta and drake don become politicians?

Nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by LaurelP(m): 6:39pm On Feb 25, 2016
Now that's what I call breaking new grounds.
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by Rossikk(m): 6:40pm On Feb 25, 2016
SirShymexx:
Ain't u a bit old for this shiit?
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 25, 2016
oya clap for Jesus undecided
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by DankemzI(m): 6:50pm On Feb 25, 2016
Mehn skepta was murdering that ojuoelgba beat... Sadly that's his only track i've heard
Junior Adenuga shocked
Is Mike Adenuga of Glo the senior
Re: British Nigerian Rapper, Skepta, Signs Rapper Drake To His Music Label -BBC News by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 25, 2016
Skepta beat me to Drake's signature? sad

(1) (Reply)

Photos From Singer Yemi Alade’s Birthday Party In South Africa / Happy Birthday Olamide (baddosneh) / Ibinabo Fiberesima Has Breast Cancer, Lawyer Reapplies For Bail On Health Ground

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.