Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem (28230 Views)

Oil Price Falls To Three-week Low On Planned OPEC, Russia Output Hike / Duty Hike: "We Are Finished" - Importers, Agents / Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by Donclaracuzo: 4:49pm On Feb 27, 2016
Please, how much is dollar sold today? who can let me knw?
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by Saladin25(m): 4:49pm On Feb 27, 2016
Sanchez01:
Nigerians are perhaps the most opportunistic people on earth. With the recent hike in the Dollar against the Naira at the parallel market, One would think "hoarders" and traders have been praying for this moment to happen. They smile when they sell to you under the aegis of "Dollar has gone up" yet groan and blame Buhari when they themselves buy things they need to survive.

The recent hike in "pure water" price, from Lagos to Benin, to Enugu, one would realize after careful analysis that these people have no business increasing the prices of their products just because they intend to make horrible profits. There's a big difference between ripping off and making profits, and the former is what most have resorted to.

Just recently I called a popular sachet water company in Enugu here to supply me with water that would last me for a month, the owner, whom I spoke with on the phone intimated me that the initial selling price of N80 per bag had been abandoned and the new price is N100. His reason? "The Dollar has gone up". I had no choice but to settle for it, asked him to send his boys over after telling him how many I wanted.

With the heat and terrible atmosphere, I had finished every water in the house while still thirsty. I dashed out of the house to get a bag from a retailer around. The one I had ordered for was taking too long and I couldn't stand it; I couldn't bring myself to wait for the pure water vehicle to arrive.

To my amazement, the retailer just close to the house who had stocked even before the price of N100 per bag came into play told me he sells a bag for N150! "Why?" I mustered strength to ask him. "Are you not in this country?", he quizzed. "You no know say Dollar don cost?", he responded. I simply couldn't believe it. Let's pretend and just give it to him that he had bought his water at the rate of N100 per bag just like I confirmed from the man I spoke with on the phone, why wouldn't the retailer sell for N120 or N130? Why sell with a 50% profit just because everyone around him complains of the Dollar

There are virtually goods cum products in the market that had long been stocked before the Dollar rise and then you discover that their prices jump off the roof all of a sudden for no reason.

It is really saddening that we are the ones making life hard for ourselves. Worst of all, we are very much aware of this but would still not bat an eyelid. I find it baffling that we're quick to hike prices of goods and services and at the end of the day, find it hard to revert to the original price before the brouhaha responsible for the hike came into being. No one is saying profits should not be made, but when it becomes rip offs and cheap shots, then it shows that we are the most inconsiderate people ever. It shows that we are our own problems.
Many Nigerians are religious but majority of the religious people are ungodly people
I do wonder how does Dollars affect pure water, Yam, pepper, vegetables things we never imported. We need to change our ways in this country.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by aloo9ice(m): 4:49pm On Feb 27, 2016
Let's frnk, everxthing affebts onenother. Remember that those pple selling local products will also buy things affected by dollar rise.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by porozhniy(m): 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
erico2k2:

So boycott. Getting on bus or taxi to work or driving ur own car cos they got to Nigeria via forex. If you dont then you r worse than the enemies of Nigeria.
How does me having a scale of preference make me an enemy of the state?
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by blank(f): 5:30pm On Feb 27, 2016
Also consider the replacement cost. If he stocked at N80 per bag before the increase by the supplier to N100, he has to increase his price to at least N120 so that he can buy the next bag.

Also, consider that the profit he was making before is no longer enough to cover his upkeep. He would need to increase his profit margin so that his lifestyle is not affected.

It's usually people on a fixed income that are the hardest hit.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by Tycyborg(m): 5:42pm On Feb 27, 2016
osaslord500:
what the op don't understand is the fact that the pure water seller will also buy other things affected by dollar for a higher price. If the pure water seller is to buy a bag of rice which is now 14k from 9k, he needs to increase the price of pure water

I can't believe a Nigerian will utter the statement that other materials are imported for the production of pure water... can you tell me what and what are needed please... for your information nothing is imported unless they are buying new machines everyday. so stop guessing.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by osaslord500(m): 5:48pm On Feb 27, 2016
Tycyborg:

I can't believe a Nigerian will utter the statement that other materials are imported for the production of pure water... can you tell me what and what are needed please... for your information nothing is imported unless they are buying new machines everyday. so stop guessing.

What exactly is your point?
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 5:50pm On Feb 27, 2016
porozhniy:
How does me having a scale of preference make me an enemy of the state?
Cos you are deliberately being ignorant.who told you we ha e a scale of preference in this situation? Can we afford such? We cannot have all we want let alone of what to chose from.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 5:53pm On Feb 27, 2016
Tycyborg:

The sachets where do they come from?and the plastic where do they come from?and the moulds used? The extruder? These costs are passed on to the pure water distributor and passed on to the end user
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 5:54pm On Feb 27, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Why shud transport fare increase when d price of fuel has come down?
How much did you buy today cos as at nkw if you see fuel in PH it's N130
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 6:00pm On Feb 27, 2016
Mcowubaba:

Of course the Government can control nd regulate this issue.

I didn't do much of Economics, but I remember that there is supposed to be an Agency or Ministry that is Incharge of Price Regulation nd Promotion, just as we have PPPRA nd DPR for Petroleum products...I just can't remember the name of the Agency or whether the are still in active existence
They cannot cos we are in a deregulated market ie free trade.price co trolley works wen govt subsidise certain goods and services. Lack of competition too.A good policy would be go t collect zero tax and import duty for all industrial machinaries and research equipment to encourage young minds. Will they do that? NO
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by porozhniy(m): 6:33pm On Feb 27, 2016
erico2k2:

Cos you are deliberately being ignorant.who told you we ha e a scale of preference in this situation? Can we afford such? We cannot have all we want let alone of what to chose from.
we? Speak for yourself please. I arrange my lean resources to meet my basic needs and buying a bag of satchet water for N150 is not a basic need for me. 20 ltrs of water sells for N10 in my area & with a water dispenser i'm good to go. Yes, i believe we have alternatives needed to survive this economic downturn, you jst gotta look inwards.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by porozhniy(m): 6:34pm On Feb 27, 2016
erico2k2:

Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 6:51pm On Feb 27, 2016
porozhniy:
we? Speak for yourself please. I arrange my lean resources to meet my basic needs and buying a bag of satchet water for N150 is not a basic need for me. 20 ltrs of water sells for N10 in my area & with a water dispenser i'm good to go. Yes, i believe we have alternatives needed to survive this economic downturn, you jst gotta look inwards.
So what's your alternative? You mention water dispenser. ?would the price not go up as well since its bought with forex? ?so where is your economics of scale?there is no substitute to chose from without forex when it comes to clean and contained water. As U speak right now yoyr phone /laptop was bought via forex so if you where to provide services with it right now the cost of a spare one will add to your overhead.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by porozhniy(m): 7:10pm On Feb 27, 2016
erico2k2:

So what's your alternative? You mention water dispenser. ?would the price not go up as well since its bought with forex? ?so where is your economics of scale?there is no substitute to chose from without forex when it comes to clean and contained water. As U speak right now yoyr phone /laptop was bought via forex so if you where to provide services with it right now the cost of a spare one will add to your overhead.
Do we buy spare parts every day? Why is the cost nylon bags and it's allied products still the same in the market? Yes,When it comes to clean and contained water, i have an alternative and i use it.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by Bankitee(m): 7:18pm On Feb 27, 2016
You have made good point, but technically if he still sell at the old price knowing fully well that the cost is now higher than usual, he's already running at loss, coz by the time he goes back to the market to replace his stock, he won't be able to with d money at hand. That's why at the end of the day most business men end up buying not as much as they use to buy.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 27, 2016
How do we correct this when body odour refuse to wave an eye on the happenings in the country?
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 8:59pm On Feb 27, 2016
porozhniy:
Do we buy spare parts every day? Why is the cost nylon bags and it's allied products still the same in the market? Yes,When it comes to clean and contained water, i have an alternative and i use it.
Come on man you can do better than this,why does the cost of a piece of land go up with time even though nothing is added to the land?
Answer, there is development around it.This is how world market works, when you are not in control of production from A-Z,certain things will add to your overhead at some point,cos if you sell at same price, you wont be able to buy bulk of new stock of same product.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Feb 27, 2016
Bankitee:
You have made good point, but technically if he still sell at the old price knowing fully well that the cost is now higher than usual, he's already running at loss, coz by the time he goes back to the market to replace his stock, he won't be able to with d money at hand. That's why at the end of the day most business men end up buying not as much as they use to buy.
Thank you very much @porozhniy see this reason as well ,same as the one I just gave you.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by porozhniy(m): 9:17pm On Feb 27, 2016
erico2k2:

Come on man you can do better than this,why does the cost of a piece of land go up with time even though nothing is added to the land?
Answer, there is development around it.This is how world market works, when you are not in control of production from A-Z,certain things will add to your overhead at some point,cos if you sell at same price, you wont be able to buy bulk of new stock of same product.
I understand where you're coming from. All i'm trying to say is i can do without satchet water & so can a lot of people in my present location. As a matter fact, it still sells for N10 per satchet. The producers here may not be able to deal with reduced sales that comes with price hike.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by InvertedHammer: 10:16pm On Feb 27, 2016
dsquare33:
It is glaring that Nigerians are their own worst enemies.Even the pepper and meat seller are using Dollars as an excuse to hike their products, no wonder the country is not moving forward.
/
There is nothing wrong in hiking the prices.

Nigeria is an import-dependent nation.

A pure water seller has to jack up his/her price from N60 to N100 for a bag of pure water to be able to afford an imported
toothpick that has been jacked from N150 to N400. If the seller continues at the old price, he/she may not be
able to afford the other essential things in life that he/she has to procure from other vendors. One thing
affects one and all which is why I said that those praying for Buhari to fail are placing curses on their lives
too. We assume that Buhari failed in the currency policy. Guess what? He is somewhere in the Middle East
enjoying the best life has to offer. And who is losing? Nigerians! The only thing his haters get will be just
that "aha!" moment. At the end, everyone loses.

It is simple as that.

\

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by Codyt(m): 10:57pm On Feb 27, 2016
osaslord500:
what the op don't understand is the fact that the pure water seller will also buy other things affected by dollar for a higher price. If the pure water seller is to buy a bag of rice which is now 14k from 9k, he needs to increase the price of pure water
And so? It's still not enough reason to add to that price ah Han! In Akure here bag of water is 200 and not even 150 as the OP stated.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by mikolo80: 1:22am On Feb 28, 2016
Sanchez01:
Nigerians are perhaps the most opportunistic people on earth. With the recent hike in the Dollar against the Naira at the parallel market, One would think "hoarders" and traders have been praying for this moment to happen. They smile when they sell to you under the aegis of "Dollar has gone up" yet groan and blame Buhari when they themselves buy things they need to survive.

The recent hike in "pure water" price, from Lagos to Benin, to Enugu, one would realize after careful analysis that these people have no business increasing the prices of their products just because they intend to make horrible profits. There's a big difference between ripping off and making profits, and the former is what most have resorted to.

Just recently I called a popular sachet water company in Enugu here to supply me with water that would last me for a month, the owner, whom I spoke with on the phone intimated me that the initial selling price of N80 per bag had been abandoned and the new price is N100. His reason? "The Dollar has gone up". I had no choice but to settle for it, asked him to send his boys over after telling him how many I wanted.

With the heat and terrible atmosphere, I had finished every water in the house while still thirsty. I dashed out of the house to get a bag from a retailer around. The one I had ordered for was taking too long and I couldn't stand it; I couldn't bring myself to wait for the pure water vehicle to arrive.

To my amazement, the retailer just close to the house who had stocked even before the price of N100 per bag came into play told me he sells a bag for N150! "Why?" I mustered strength to ask him. "Are you not in this country?", he quizzed. "You no know say Dollar don cost?", he responded. I simply couldn't believe it. Let's pretend and just give it to him that he had bought his water at the rate of N100 per bag just like I confirmed from the man I spoke with on the phone, why wouldn't the retailer sell for N120 or N130? Why sell with a 50% profit just because everyone around him complains of the Dollar

There are virtually goods cum products in the market that had long been stocked before the Dollar rise and then you discover that their prices jump off the roof all of a sudden for no reason.

It is really saddening that we are the ones making life hard for ourselves. Worst of all, we are very much aware of this but would still not bat an eyelid. I find it baffling that we're quick to hike prices of goods and services and at the end of the day, find it hard to revert to the original price before the brouhaha responsible for the hike came into being. No one is saying profits should not be made, but when it becomes rip offs and cheap shots, then it shows that we are the most inconsiderate people ever. It shows that we are our own problems.
why you sef no buy 100 sell 110
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by erico2k2(m): 2:26am On Feb 28, 2016
porozhniy:
I understand where you're coming from. All i'm trying to say is i can do without satchet water & so can a lot of people in my present location. As a matter fact, it still sells for N10 per satchet. The producers here may not be able to deal with reduced sales that comes with price hike.
Guy the only way forex wont affect the water you drink is if you go to the stream and drink water with your hands or your mouth direct.
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by gemale(m): 5:03am On Feb 28, 2016
Sanchez01:

& yet pple dey vex when buhari talk say nigerians b criminals. Taking undue advantage of pple no b criminal act? wetin concern meat seller wt dollar rise? im import d cow/goat/ram im kill?
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by sisqonite: 7:01am On Feb 28, 2016
osaslord500:

Spoken like s.one that went to school but my only problem is how did the dollar ripple effect get to garri??

How??

sad
Re: Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem by lakizmet(m): 8:44am On Feb 28, 2016
It shows how gullible n selfish pple could b,even if dollars rise as d saying goes s it by dat percentage in dia product.?d most painful tin s dat as soon as d dollar regainit strength dey at not willing to go back 2d normal price except wen forced to.we should stop blaming odas 4wat we ar d cause.I weep 4my country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Major Shipping Lines Quit Nigeria As Freight Rates & Trade Volume Crashes / Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches / Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.