Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,458 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) (1233 Views)

Adeboye's Mount Carmel Prayer Mountain In Osun State (photos) / CEO Of The Mount Zion, Mike Bamiloye Marks His Wife's Birthday In Style / 10 Modern Day Church Lessons From The Beatitudes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) by kkutecolo(f): 3:51pm On Nov 03, 2006
When Jesus saw the crowd, he went up on the side of a mountain and sat down. Jesus' disciples gathered around him and he taught them.

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be satisfied

Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy

Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
Rejoice and be glad for your reward is in heaven. for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Why a mountain?

In Jewish tradition, a mountain symbolizes closeness to heaven, making it a holy place between man and God. Moses ascended mount Sinai, for example, to receive d tablets of law 4rm God. Jesus climbed the top of the mountain to give his first great sermon. like Moses, he delivered to the people a new law.
Re: The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) by kkutecolo(f): 12:31pm On Nov 09, 2006
y is no one replyin?
Re: The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) by lafile(m): 1:36pm On Nov 09, 2006
wetin u want us to talk?
Re: The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) by shahan(f): 7:01pm On Jan 16, 2007
Lol. . . lafile cheesy

Anyway, let's see if we can make this thread a bit more interesting.

I'm not so sure that the mountain represents closeness to heaven, though the exhortation about the mountain is very interesting. Strictly speaking, Jewish tradition did not view things that way. Remember the Psalmist's question in Psa. 121:1? Many people read this verse as if it is a statement: "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills; from whence cometh my help?" In verse 2, the Psalmist himself gives the answer: "My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."

Jeremiah confirms this when he said: "Truly in vain is salvation hoped for from the hills, and from the multitude of mountains: truly in the LORD our God is the salvation of Israel" (Jer. 3:23). How very encouraging.
Re: The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) by barikade: 9:19pm On Jan 21, 2007
Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God

Any contributions on what it means to see God?
Re: The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) by gbadex1(m): 12:55am On Jan 22, 2007
@ bari_kade:

lemme try. . .

Could it be that that statement was metaphorical and not to be taken in a literal sense? Going thru the Bible (can't remember exactly which verse), Baba God Himself said no man could see Him in His full glory and live. Heck, the man with that leather sandals, Moses, only saw his back. Now that is one opportunity gbade has been wishing to have since age 8 cheesy!

Methinks that passage talks more about the Spiritual God manifestly physically in our lives.

Another thought to it - if one takes it literally, then it prolly means the aforementioned homeboy spoken of in that particular Beautitude is gonna see his Maker one day in Heaven.

We'll all probably be popping champagnes, sipping easy up there. . .

Good times shall indeed come. . . .
Re: The Beatitudes (sermon On The Mount) by barikade: 1:39am On Jan 22, 2007
Jolly chap gbade.x,

Good cracks and wonderful sense of humour! cheesy

Me, like you, wished a long time ago to see the faces of the patriarchs - good old Moses and his bros Aaron, because I wanted them to settle some things between them that I don't understand! cheesy Anyhow, as the Master said, old things are passed away - so, I may not have the rascally pleasure to listening to them sages!

And the champagnes, I don't know if we'll be sipping easy up there. We shall see the glory of the Lord, no doubt; but can't wait to check into my mansion o jare! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Is The First Letter To The Corinthians Really The First Letter To Them? / Atheism - Not A Religion / May 21st; Judgement Day!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.