Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,266 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

#female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor (2293 Views)

Agnes Yewande Savage- The First Nigerian Female Doctor / Female Doctor Made History To Become Nigeria First Homegrown Medical Fellow / Fake Female Doctor Arrested In Cross River (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by acxlers2014(m): 3:20pm On Feb 27, 2016
We feel obliged to inform you of a rather troubling incident which happened to Dr. Theresa, a Senior Registrar 1 in the department of Psychiatry of Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital (Ile-Ife) and a dear friend to us all. She is a very gentle, easy going, ever smiling and hardworking resident doctor, but even if she didn't possess any of the aforementioned attributes, she didn't deserve any of what occurred in the duration of this incident.

It all began on Thursday 25th February 2016 at her service apartment building located outside the hospital. It seemed like just another day- a quiet morning with the dew still on the cars parked in the compound and chirping of insects the predominant sound till it was shattered by the shrill shouts of Dr. Okpara. Dr. Okpara is a Wing Commander in the Nigerian Air Force, a resident Doctor in the Dept of Community Medicine in the same hospital where Theresa works, and also resides in that compound. So what could make this man, slightly overweight and bespectacled, irate early on a Thursday morning?

The obstruction of his car in the parking lot within the compound; that's the simple answer, but as it sometimes happens in life, even simple things can devolve into ugly scenarios. As is common in some buildings, the parking space is inadequate and as such tenants have to park behind other cars within the compound. This doesn't constitute the end of the world and tenants occasionally call each other- through the security guard- to move their cars in the morning so that individuals are able to drive out.

According to an eye witness (who is a doctor in the same hospital and also lives within the same compound), Dr Theresa's car was obstructing Dr. Okpara's car and he called her out to move her car. She had told him she was dressing up and would soon be out. It would seem like the problem was settled but that wasn't good enough for him; he kept shouting and verbally abusing her. He didn't stop even when she came out to move her car. Perhaps affronted by her calm despite his torrents of abuses, he physically attacked her as she got into her car to make way for him.

Truth be told, saying physically attacked is sugar coating things. Truth is- and in the manner of calling a spade a spade- he beat her, with a succession of punches, each one meted out with the intent to humiliate her and put her in her place. And when the punches weren't doing a good job of that, he reached for a metal pedal lock as a coda to the lesson he was meting out. Thankfully he was restrained by some of the co-tenants but he did leave a mark, several marks actually, on her.

Theresa has a right nasal bone fracture, cerebrospinal fluid- the liquid which keeps the brain protected within the skull- leak, a deformed face, several bruises, and that's just listing the physical injuries. As it is, she has to decide if she wants major surgery to correct the facial deformity or live with a disfigured face for the rest of her life.

Life is a lot of things and sometimes we get a choice to either look the other way as though nothing has happened or stare tyranny in the face and make our voices heard. Maybe being a member of the Nigerian Air Force is a powerful intoxicant and what better way to demonstrate this than by beating up a woman- one defenseless woman, one who has overcome several odds to be who she is today, one who has lived with sickle cell disease all her life, one who is your sister, daughter, friend, and companion. Maybe it is easier to look the other way but in this fight, I stand with Theresa! #justice4drtheresa.

Thank you all.
CMUL, 2008 Graduating Class of Medical Doctors & Dentists.

Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by lumydee44: 3:32pm On Feb 27, 2016
One sided, she might have hit him first. But i'm strongly against men hitting women, just walk away.
Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by lecturerdabo(m): 4:18pm On Feb 27, 2016
lumydee44:
One sided, she might have hit him first. But i'm strongly against men hitting women, just walk away.

We need to hear from the Wing Commander first but as stated by lumydee, I OPPOSE HITTING OR ANY FORM OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN but believe it or not most times if one is not careful, he will do the unexpected because of the way ladies use their tongue!

Just few days ago a firstbank customer care representative in Bauchi acted rudely towards me in the process of opening a saving account with the bank(as this is the only bank in the town) then the next sentence when I hardened my voice in response to a silly question came thus "u ar not d first military man, many have won and removed it"

Luckly enough I was on mufti and never identified myself as a military personnel which gave me the edge in mouth trashing her while he co staffs nod their heads.

Ur friend may ve used such words "ar u the first wing commander?, why u no go build ur own park" etc

Being a military man/doctor, u can hardly tell which senior officer/emergency is breathing down his neck! Sometimes also the stress of the job can make one act irrational!!

All this, is not to support his actions!! Write officially to his unit stating the FACTS!!! I believe the NAF will address the situation to ur satisfaction thanks.

1 Like

Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by TheArchangel(f): 4:28pm On Feb 27, 2016
A psychiatrist and a community physician.....hahaha funny.
Her calm demeanour sets off waves of paranoia and hallucinations which the man finds unsettling and annoying as a potential madman he is. She probably was cowering for safety instead of dishing out enough blows to escape to safety.

I am an advocate for women to acquire self-defense manoeuvres. Should you have to choose to fight back, here are some basic principles (remember, your goal is to facilitate escape!):
[b]
Keep it simple.
[/b]Use uncomplicated gross motor moves. Bruce Lee said, "Hack away the unessential." Forget fancy techniques. Under the stress of highly charged emotions mixed with adrenaline and a rapidly increased heart rate, fine and complex motor skills vastly deteriorate.

Do it with your hips!
To deliver power, get your ass into your moves!
Use your strengths against vulnerabilities. Why do you think Tarzan pounds his chest and not his gonads or nose, eyes or throat? Use hard body parts such as elbows, knees, fists, feet, legs, gnarly knuckles and whatever you can get your mitts on! (See slideshow photos below.)

Yell.
Yelling increases power as much as 33 percent and can attract help.
Seconds count! Seize opportunity and exploit surprise. When it's "go time," don't telegraph your intent with obvious wind-up movements. Focus... then blast. Zero to 100 percent! Explode like a bullet directly into your target, not like a firecracker going off in multiple directions at once.

Mindset counts!
Think like a Marine. Take charge! Don't just give a smack -- counter attack! Penetrate. Stomp. Gouge. Drive through. Spring into an attacker's face like a coiled cobra.

Breathe.
Lower your center of gravity and stay focused. If pinned, for example in a lying down position, abdominal breathing can lower your heart rate and help you collect yourself so that you can think: What part of my body is free... what targets are presenting... where is the nearest exit?

Overcome the fear of injury.
This is hugely important. Sure, you might get hurt, but adrenaline is a wonder drug. Women give birth, for God's sake!
Don't overly rely on "stun-n-runs." Think in succession of rapid fire moves; at least think in threes.

Use the environment!
Whaddya got? Are there handy objects to wield as weapons or shields? Surfaces to shove off of? Can you pull a fire alarm, smash windows to attract help?
Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by DUNKA(m): 4:33pm On Feb 27, 2016
Dr. Chuwkuemeka Opara really an animal in uniform he is well known in Jos environs as a violent psychological person. He is a Doctor at NAF base hospital at Rayfield. Really not suprised at this behaviour as it is his well known for violence. Let her report formally to the Air force authorities for proper sanctioning

1 Like

Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by 9ja4show: 4:49pm On Feb 27, 2016
lecturerdabo:

We need to hear from the Wing Commander first but as stated by lumydee, I OPPOSE HITTING OR ANY FORM OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN but believe it or not most times if one is not careful, he will do the unexpected because of the way ladies use their tongue!

Just few days ago a firstbank customer care representative in Bauchi acted rudely towards me in the process of opening a saving account with the bank(as this is the only bank in the town) then the next sentence when I hardened my voice in response to a silly question came thus "u ar not d first military man, many have won and removed it"

Luckly enough I was on mufti and never identified myself as a military personnel which gave me the edge in mouth trashing her while he co staffs nod their heads.

Ur friend may ve used such words "ar u the first wing commander?, why u no go build ur own park" etc

Being a military man/doctor, u can hardly tell which senior officer/emergency is breathing down his neck! Sometimes also the stress of the job can make one act irrational!!

All this, is not to support his actions!! Write officially to his unit stating the FACTS!!! I believe the NAF will address the situation to ur satisfaction thanks.

I am not suprised reading This trash from someone like you , you are all the same ..animals in kaki

2 Likes

Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by lecturerdabo(m): 5:06pm On Feb 27, 2016
9ja4show:

I am not suprised reading This trash from someone like you , you are all the same ..animals in kaki

Sorry my love! I ve outgrown this your mentality!!

God bless you!!!
Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by 9ja4show: 5:20pm On Feb 27, 2016
lecturerdabo:

Sorry my love! I ve outgrown this your mentality!!

God bless you!!!

My friend , you are on your own oh..
Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by janefarms2015: 5:44pm On Feb 27, 2016
I wonder why this has not made front page, if its tonto dike or all dese so called celebrities, this would hv bn moved to front page, lalasticalla, haba and other N/L moderators, be more matured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by spalletti(m): 6:59pm On Feb 27, 2016
Dr.Okpara is also a patient. He is suffering from psychosomatic disorder.
Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by DrAdonis: 12:08am On Feb 28, 2016
That Wing commander definitely had psychosis during that act...I saw the video where he was shouting like a thug with his shirt unbuttoned.
He is a certified coward, flexing his muscle on an unarmed woman.
He is a psychopath, punching the face of his female neighbour.
He's a goner, because MDCN will definitely suspend his practicing license as he swore not to bring disrepute to the medical profession.

1 Like

Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by DUNKA(m): 3:03pm On Mar 11, 2016
Please does anyone know what action was taken by the family.of the attacked woman?
Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by DUNKA(m): 2:42pm On Jun 26, 2016
acxlers2014:
We feel obliged to inform you of a rather troubling incident which happened to Dr. Theresa, a Senior Registrar 1 in the department of Psychiatry of Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital (Ile-Ife) and a dear friend to us all. She is a very gentle, easy going, ever smiling and hardworking resident doctor, but even if she didn't possess any of the aforementioned attributes, she didn't deserve any of what occurred in the duration of this incident.

It all began on Thursday 25th February 2016 at her service apartment building located outside the hospital. It seemed like just another day- a quiet morning with the dew still on the cars parked in the compound and chirping of insects the predominant sound till it was shattered by the shrill shouts of Dr. Okpara. Dr. Okpara is a Wing Commander in the Nigerian Air Force, a resident Doctor in the Dept of Community Medicine in the same hospital where Theresa works, and also resides in that compound. So what could make this man, slightly overweight and bespectacled, irate early on a Thursday morning?

The obstruction of his car in the parking lot within the compound; that's the simple answer, but as it sometimes happens in life, even simple things can devolve into ugly scenarios. As is common in some buildings, the parking space is inadequate and as such tenants have to park behind other cars within the compound. This doesn't constitute the end of the world and tenants occasionally call each other- through the security guard- to move their cars in the morning so that individuals are able to drive out.

According to an eye witness (who is a doctor in the same hospital and also lives within the same compound), Dr Theresa's car was obstructing Dr. Okpara's car and he called her out to move her car. She had told him she was dressing up and would soon be out. It would seem like the problem was settled but that wasn't good enough for him; he kept shouting and verbally abusing her. He didn't stop even when she came out to move her car. Perhaps affronted by her calm despite his torrents of abuses, he physically attacked her as she got into her car to make way for him.

Truth be told, saying physically attacked is sugar coating things. Truth is- and in the manner of calling a spade a spade- he beat her, with a succession of punches, each one meted out with the intent to humiliate her and put her in her place. And when the punches weren't doing a good job of that, he reached for a metal pedal lock as a coda to the lesson he was meting out. Thankfully he was restrained by some of the co-tenants but he did leave a mark, several marks actually, on her.

Theresa has a right nasal bone fracture, cerebrospinal fluid- the liquid which keeps the brain protected within the skull- leak, a deformed face, several bruises, and that's just listing the physical injuries. As it is, she has to decide if she wants major surgery to correct the facial deformity or live with a disfigured face for the rest of her life.

Life is a lot of things and sometimes we get a choice to either look the other way as though nothing has happened or stare tyranny in the face and make our voices heard. Maybe being a member of the Nigerian Air Force is a powerful intoxicant and what better way to demonstrate this than by beating up a woman- one defenseless woman, one who has overcome several odds to be who she is today, one who has lived with sickle cell disease all her life, one who is your sister, daughter, friend, and companion. Maybe it is easier to look the other way but in this fight, I stand with Theresa! #justice4drtheresa.

Thank you all.
CMUL, 2008 Graduating Class of Medical Doctors & Dentists.
Please does anyone know how this issue ended?
Re: #female Doctor Harassed By Military Officer Doctor by Amhappy(f): 4:30pm On Jun 26, 2016
Just like always,you see the strength of Nigeria armed forces on unarmed innocent civilians.

(1) (Reply)

I Can Cure Aids Says President Of Gambia / How Can Urinary Tract Infection Be Totally Cure? / NMA Strike Update!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.