Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? (39785 Views)

Naira Shortage Forces Banks To Boycott CBN Dollar Sale / Naira Records Gain, Closes At 512/dollar On Tuesday / Bank Customers Boycott Banks On #nobankingday (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by kay29000(m): 9:02am On Feb 28, 2016
On that day is when you will even see long queue like this...

Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Btruth: 9:02am On Feb 28, 2016
I will, don't know about you? cheesy
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Psylas(m): 9:09am On Feb 28, 2016
I tried to withdraw 1k from my account 2days ago, the ATM debited my account and could not dispense cash, it later credited the 1k back to my account, I tried it again and same thing happened, I left.

I started wondering if this policy has started Buhari would have taken N100 from my poor account
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Sunkyphil(m): 9:11am On Feb 28, 2016
if I hear say Nigerians boycott bank on tuesday
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by richard870(m): 9:12am On Feb 28, 2016
Freegift75:

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/will-nigerians-boycott-banks-on-tuesday/

Will Nigerians boycott banks on Tuesday?
ON February 28, 2016 4:27 AM / IN

STORIES By Udeme Clement,

If Nigerians heed the call by the Consumer Advocacy
Foundation of Nigeria (CAFON) and Coalition of Nigerian Consumer Protection Associations, banks
across the country, on Tuesday, March 1, will be empty.

The group wants Nigerians to boycott the banks on that day in protest against alleged arbitrary charges imposed on customers by the financial institutions.

This is coming weeks after the Central Bank of Nigeria
(CBN) imposed N50 on customers as compulsory stamp duty on deposits of N1,000 and above. The charge, however, is collected on behalf of NIPOST and the Federal Government and it goes to the Federation Account. Only last week, the CBN said it got banks across the country to return excess charges, estimated at N6.2billion, to customers.

Our investigations revealed that, aside normal bank charges associated with daily transactions, depositors are exposed to many hidden charges as well as what
financial experts described as arbitrary charges.

Charges enormous – Mikail, Shareholders Association boss

In a chat, the National President, Constance Shareholders Association of Nigeria, Mr. Shehu Mikail, explained that the banks are facing a lot of challenges in the operating environment, saying, however, that this does not justify some of the charges. He said,

“The reality is that, banks have to collect certain charges to sustain their operations, in order to remain in business. They have to pay their staff, give dividends to shareholders and carry out general maintenance of their facilities. The banks spend a lot of money to buy diesel daily to generate power due to erratic electricity supply in the country. So, at the end of month, they transfer some of the costs to customers as bank charges. We are not saying that banks should not collect charges from customers, because they need some of these charges to stay afloat in business.

But the issue is that, the charges are so enormous and, if not checked, may have adverse effect on the cashless monetary policy already in place. For instance, a large part of Nigeria is still un-banked, and if these numerous charges are not curtailed, many people who are already using the services of banks may stop patronising them”.

Responding to what the Bankers Committee, which often meet to examine issues in the financial sector, is doing currently to tackle the challenges in the sector, he said, “It is clear that the Bankers Committee, at present, does not know exactly what to do, in order to turn around the financial sector of the economy, especially in the issue of forex crisis rocking the sector. So, deliberate and consistent government policies are needed to restructure the sector for greater efficiency, especially in the aspect of exchange rate that is affecting virtually everything in the economy now.”

CBN, Bankers’ Committee and bank charges:

It could be recalled that the cashless policy was first
introduced by CBN on January 1, 2012 in Lagos State,
where the higher proportion of cash circulates daily
as a pilot study to test-run the process. Thus, the CBN
and the Bankers Committee, in November 2012,
agreed to abolish all charges associated with the use
of ATMs, in order to increase patronage of ATMs,
thereby deepening financial inclusion strategy of the
apex bank. So, in December, 2012, they abolished the
payment of N100 ATM withdrawal charge by depositors. They transferred the payment of the N100 fee to the issuing banks, stressing that the fee be split between the acquiring bank, issuing bank and switch companies. But, on August 13, 2014, the same
Committee and the CBN re-introduced ATM charge of
N65 instead of N100, to be paid by individual customers.

The circular, signed by the Director of Banking and
Payment Systems Department of CBN then, Mr. Dipo
Fatokun, stated, “The CBN agreed to re-introduce ATM charge because the cost of transaction was becoming too burden some for the banks to bear. The circular from September 1, 2014 shall be effective date for the implementation of the new charge. Banks are expected to conduct adequate sensitisation to the customers on introduction of the new fee. As a result of the un-intended consequences of the decision, which has resulted in substantial cost burden incurred by banks in defraying the cost of the service, the payment structure for card carrying bank customers is hereby reviewed in line with the present realities”.

Customers’ angle

When Sunday Vanguard visited some commercial
banks in Lagos, customers were seen carrying out
their normal transactions. It was also observed that,
some banks had more customers in the banking halls
and at the ATM points, while other places were very
scanty. Some of the depositors who spoke during the
visit blamed the CBN for re-introducing ATM charged
that was abolished by the former governor of CBN,
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, while other said that banks are
making a lot of money from customers, yet they keep
on retrenching, even as many of their workers are on
contract.

A customer at Oluwo, Ikeja branch of First Bank, who
gave her name as Mrs. Gloria Moses, said, “The apex
bank that regulates activities of commercial banks is
acting as if it is panicking, especially in the area of
foreign exchange. If you look at the forex policies of
the CBN critically, you can easily realise that the
current CBN is already panicking. To me, the re-
introduction of ATM charge after it was removed by
the same CBN was unnecessary. For that reason, I
don’t use ATM of other banks for withdrawal since
that charge was brought back. I simply withdraw fro my own bank to avoid paying extra charge. It seems
the CBN is even losing focus on what the banking
public actually want, which is a reduction in interest
rate for industries to thrive and create jobs for the
masses. I think the re-introduction of ATM charge
constitutes policy inconsistency”.

Perspective of advocacy group/Objective

Some of the practices mentioned by CAFON, which
necessitated the action against banks excessive
charges, unexplainable fees and unfair contracts
designed to protect the financial institutions to the
detriment of the banking public. Others are
indiscriminate debiting of customers’ accounts for
charges that are arbitrary and unilateral changes in
interest rates by banks, and this without prior notice
to the consumers.
Ecobank has been deducting money from my account for about 3wks now. All sorts of alerts just to get money out from my account. This is what they do to Nigerians in diaspora who bank with them. They should be santioned! angry
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by smoothlips(m): 9:16am On Feb 28, 2016
Abeg the group should go and sit down. If you dig deeper now, you will see that non of the group promoters is even paying their income tax
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by oseiwe(m): 9:25am On Feb 28, 2016
Nigerian banks are just agbero infrastructures. All their charges are more like "i-saw", u must pay for any money dat they see, buy they will never support ur growth, if i lie, ask olajumoke.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Psylas(m): 9:25am On Feb 28, 2016
gentlezypher:
As my bank balance be like jamb score, i don dy boycott them since january
Jamb score big naa. you still get money to buy recharge card, my bank account balance is N37 and can't buy card again
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Hove: 9:28am On Feb 28, 2016
We Design, Estimate & Build; Everything construction. Visit us www.maelveuq.com
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by gentlezypher: 9:28am On Feb 28, 2016
Psylas:
Jamb score big naa. you still get money to buy recharge card, my bank account balance is N37 and could not buy card again
lol your own worse øo, you still do BVN?
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Psylas(m): 9:32am On Feb 28, 2016
gentlezypher:
lol your own worse øo, you still do BVN?
yes naa, it's active

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by kilisi(m): 9:44am On Feb 28, 2016
mankan2k7:
I have been boycotting bank since January, why?

I don't have money in my account
grin grin grin
People around me here are wondering what is happening as I'm just laughing here.
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by lexxyrule(m): 10:12am On Feb 28, 2016
Bobnotrouble:
Islamic Banking system is the only way out.

Here una go again
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Reference(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2016
Not interested. Going to the bank on Tuesday and because I believe it will be a hassle free day I will route all my weekly transactions to Tuesday. Nigerians and freebies.
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by emi14: 10:20am On Feb 28, 2016
ChappyChase:
So where will Chijoke, Nna ememka and sons, Ifex and co. Deposit the money they made on monday abi you think say Igbo men dey sall sweet and chin chin for Alaba market!?
This their protest won't even see the light of the day!!!!!
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by emi14: 10:21am On Feb 28, 2016
Onye ara... Weree ni
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Sultanchidi(m): 10:42am On Feb 28, 2016
Naija we hail thee, even pple wen no get bank account go come here begin form boycott. Some people account no go even fit flash self
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by jogojogo: 10:47am On Feb 28, 2016
Freegift75:

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/will-nigerians-boycott-banks-on-tuesday/

Will Nigerians boycott banks on Tuesday?
ON February 28, 2016 4:27 AM / IN

STORIES By Udeme Clement,

If Nigerians heed the call by the Consumer Advocacy
Foundation of Nigeria (CAFON) and Coalition of Nigerian Consumer Protection Associations, banks
across the country, on Tuesday, March 1, will be empty.

The group wants Nigerians to boycott the banks on that day in protest against alleged arbitrary charges imposed on customers by the financial institutions.

This is coming weeks after the Central Bank of Nigeria
(CBN) imposed N50 on customers as compulsory stamp duty on deposits of N1,000 and above. The charge, however, is collected on behalf of NIPOST and the Federal Government and it goes to the Federation Account. Only last week, the CBN said it got banks across the country to return excess charges, estimated at N6.2billion, to customers.

Our investigations revealed that, aside normal bank charges associated with daily transactions, depositors are exposed to many hidden charges as well as what
financial experts described as arbitrary charges.

Charges enormous – Mikail, Shareholders Association boss

In a chat, the National President, Constance Shareholders Association of Nigeria, Mr. Shehu Mikail, explained that the banks are facing a lot of challenges in the operating environment, saying, however, that this does not justify some of the charges. He said,

“The reality is that, banks have to collect certain charges to sustain their operations, in order to remain in business. They have to pay their staff, give dividends to shareholders and carry out general maintenance of their facilities. The banks spend a lot of money to buy diesel daily to generate power due to erratic electricity supply in the country. So, at the end of month, they transfer some of the costs to customers as bank charges. We are not saying that banks should not collect charges from customers, because they need some of these charges to stay afloat in business.

But the issue is that, the charges are so enormous and, if not checked, may have adverse effect on the cashless monetary policy already in place. For instance, a large part of Nigeria is still un-banked, and if these numerous charges are not curtailed, many people who are already using the services of banks may stop patronising them”.

Responding to what the Bankers Committee, which often meet to examine issues in the financial sector, is doing currently to tackle the challenges in the sector, he said, “It is clear that the Bankers Committee, at present, does not know exactly what to do, in order to turn around the financial sector of the economy, especially in the issue of forex crisis rocking the sector. So, deliberate and consistent government policies are needed to restructure the sector for greater efficiency, especially in the aspect of exchange rate that is affecting virtually everything in the economy now.”

CBN, Bankers’ Committee and bank charges:

It could be recalled that the cashless policy was first
introduced by CBN on January 1, 2012 in Lagos State,
where the higher proportion of cash circulates daily
as a pilot study to test-run the process. Thus, the CBN
and the Bankers Committee, in November 2012,
agreed to abolish all charges associated with the use
of ATMs, in order to increase patronage of ATMs,
thereby deepening financial inclusion strategy of the
apex bank. So, in December, 2012, they abolished the
payment of N100 ATM withdrawal charge by depositors. They transferred the payment of the N100 fee to the issuing banks, stressing that the fee be split between the acquiring bank, issuing bank and switch companies. But, on August 13, 2014, the same
Committee and the CBN re-introduced ATM charge of
N65 instead of N100, to be paid by individual customers.

The circular, signed by the Director of Banking and
Payment Systems Department of CBN then, Mr. Dipo
Fatokun, stated, “The CBN agreed to re-introduce ATM charge because the cost of transaction was becoming too burden some for the banks to bear. The circular from September 1, 2014 shall be effective date for the implementation of the new charge. Banks are expected to conduct adequate sensitisation to the customers on introduction of the new fee. As a result of the un-intended consequences of the decision, which has resulted in substantial cost burden incurred by banks in defraying the cost of the service, the payment structure for card carrying bank customers is hereby reviewed in line with the present realities”.

Customers’ angle

When Sunday Vanguard visited some commercial
banks in Lagos, customers were seen carrying out
their normal transactions. It was also observed that,
some banks had more customers in the banking halls
and at the ATM points, while other places were very
scanty. Some of the depositors who spoke during the
visit blamed the CBN for re-introducing ATM charged
that was abolished by the former governor of CBN,
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, while other said that banks are
making a lot of money from customers, yet they keep
on retrenching, even as many of their workers are on
contract.

A customer at Oluwo, Ikeja branch of First Bank, who
gave her name as Mrs. Gloria Moses, said, “The apex
bank that regulates activities of commercial banks is
acting as if it is panicking, especially in the area of
foreign exchange. If you look at the forex policies of
the CBN critically, you can easily realise that the
current CBN is already panicking. To me, the re-
introduction of ATM charge after it was removed by
the same CBN was unnecessary. For that reason, I
don’t use ATM of other banks for withdrawal since
that charge was brought back. I simply withdraw fro my own bank to avoid paying extra charge. It seems
the CBN is even losing focus on what the banking
public actually want, which is a reduction in interest
rate for industries to thrive and create jobs for the
masses. I think the re-introduction of ATM charge
constitutes policy inconsistency”.

Perspective of advocacy group/Objective

Some of the practices mentioned by CAFON, which
necessitated the action against banks excessive
charges, unexplainable fees and unfair contracts
designed to protect the financial institutions to the
detriment of the banking public. Others are
indiscriminate debiting of customers’ accounts for
charges that are arbitrary and unilateral changes in
interest rates by banks, and this without prior notice
to the consumers.

Absolute rubbish.
Ignorance packed assertions.
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Igodometusalah: 11:26am On Feb 28, 2016
They deduct #65 for every transaction I do on ATM. This is tiring, they even deduct money when I use a Diamond bank ATM, which happens to be my bank. I withdrew #10,000 the other day, only for them to deduct #170 from my account. This wasn't the case before now, I don't know what's happening.
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Proudlyngwa(m): 12:25pm On Feb 28, 2016
I hope its true
At least there won't be queue in ATM that day.
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by uc2004(f): 12:56pm On Feb 28, 2016
It won't work, the awareness is not there
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by yhemsy62(m): 12:57pm On Feb 28, 2016
Micro finance bank loga lowoyi
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by ayooba: 1:26pm On Feb 28, 2016
By Baba God Help my Country
Visit My Site @ www.nitrogist.com
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Adesiji77: 1:54pm On Feb 28, 2016
If I hear... cheesy

The organizers must be "learners" grin
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Lobolintin(m): 1:58pm On Feb 28, 2016
I no even get bank account

What do they do there ??
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by notoriousbabe: 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2016
no be person wey get money dey go bank. My account balance since 2014 na #276=47k
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Exponental(m): 3:22pm On Feb 28, 2016
they are fighting for the poor but unfortunately the poor use the banks when unavoidable and necessary.
if u see a poor man in bank on Tuesday, it is simply cos he MUST be there.
wetin concain dangote or otedola with bank? the CEOs go to them

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Exponental(m): 3:23pm On Feb 28, 2016
they are fighting for the poor but unfortunately the poor use the banks when unavoidable and necessary.
if u see a poor man in bank on Tuesday, it is simply cos he MUST be there.
wetin concain dangote or otedola with bank? the CEOs go to them.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by AdaAnambra: 5:55pm On Feb 28, 2016
richard870:
Ecobank has been deducting money from my account for about 3wks now. All sorts of alerts just to get money out from my account. This is what they do to Nigerians in diaspora who bank with them. They should be santioned! angry
Have you contacted them? If not, send them an email on engcontactcentre@ecobank.com or call 0700 500 0000
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Hakeem3(m): 12:58am On Feb 29, 2016
I tink I'm gonna withdraw all my money frm my GTB account and go back to those days wen I use to save money with that claypot
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by Lasveg(m): 2:01am On Feb 29, 2016
mankan2k7:
I have been boycotting bank since January, why?

I don't have money in my account
Re: Will Nigerians Boycott Banks On Tuesday? by mankan2k7(m): 7:10am On Feb 29, 2016
[quote author=Lasveg post=43344963] ur comment is irrelevant to dis thread, we r talking about pple with money in there account and u brought ur poverty stricken a.ss to derail d thread. [no vex]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Differences Between The Poor And The Rich / Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc (Transcorp) / Prices Of Cattle Crash In Taraba Due To Naira Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.