Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,139 members, 7,863,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:45 AM

Fried Battery, Please Help! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Fried Battery, Please Help! (591 Views)

I Need A Netbook With Battery Up To 5 Hours / My Laptop Cannot Recognize My Battery / How Long Does A 8cell And 12 Cell Battery Last? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fried Battery, Please Help! by ibdguy: 6:23am On Jul 14, 2009
I own a Sony Vaio AR51E, and thanks to the joys of our dear friends at THAT electricity company, my machine now believes a full charge of its battery means it should dispense only twenty minutes of battery life!
Over the weekend, I was at Computer Village in Ikeja with a techy friend of mine to buy a replacement battery. I had my reservations about the certainly China replica and definitely not Sony original that was placed in my hand, but as I had exhausted not only my feet but all retailers selling batteries in the vicinity, I decided to fork over the 12 grand cost for the thing.
Needless to say, my Vaio is a lot smarter than gormless me- the battery charging LED simply blinks rapidly, while the computer itself probably rightly ignores attempts to turn it on- even after many hours of patiently waiting for it to charge. The long and short: the battery is not compatible with the laptop. (Big surprise!, not)

I like my Vaio, even if its about as portable as a molue, and while one of my tasks today will be to return the dubious battery it to its rightful owner (don't worry, I'm not delusional- at least not quite yet, I asked for and got a 3-month warranty), I still need to get my hands on a genuine battery replacement.

This is where my Nairalander bros and sisters come in,
Please respond if any know of a reputable company that sells Sony computing parts, or alternatively do Sony have a computing customer support franchise in Nigeria?

I know of the Sony Centre, but of that which I'm aware, they only sell retail consumer electronics. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw on another thread that quite a few people use Sony and like me value their rugged build factor, but surely one or two people must have had similar parts and replacement availability issues?!? If so, how did you guys source for your parts?

And yes, let me save you the wahala of typing to that person that wants to suggest I simply buy a plane ticket for the battery and have it flown in- I had someone who recently came back from one of our favored Away destinations, but her visit was so short, I didn't even get a chance to blink before she was back. There is also no hope of getting anyone going in that direction until September, by which time one or two things might have happened a. I would have torn all my hair out and started working on the locks of my nearest and dearest in fustration or b. I will have hurled the Vaio against the wall and then run over it for good measure!
Please help spare my hair, and my apologies in advance if a similar topic or issue that deals with the foregoing has already been posted elsewhere.
Re: Fried Battery, Please Help! by ibdguy: 6:29am On Jul 14, 2009
Oh, forgot to put the model of battery I'm looking for,
Its a VGP-BPS9/B- just in case there is someone out there who has a few that are new and spare and wouldn't mind selling to a desperate soul for a reasonable price. wink

(1) (Reply)

Major Blogging Mistakes Made By New Bloggers. / Shiron S2 Modem Needed / Which It Certification Course Is Best For Me:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.