Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record (1909 Views)

Heartbreaking Story Of A Starving Two-year-old Nigerian Boy / Wire Abandoned By Electricity Workers Electrocutes 15-year-old Pupil (Picture) / Meet Guinness World Record's Shortest Woman 11pounds And 24.7inches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by Bay1970(m): 3:02am On Jul 15, 2009
High Flying, Adored - 15-Year-Old Girl Pilots a Plane Coast to Coast

15-year-old Kimberly Anyadike finished a record-breaking flight across the country, becoming what is believed to be the youngest African-American female to pilot an airplane from coast to coast. The adventurous teenager flew from Compton Woodley Airport in Compton, CA, to Newport News, VA ,and back, making thirteen stops along the way. Her flight companions were an adult safety pilot and Levi Thornhill, an 87-year-old World War II veteran who flew with the Tuskegee Airmen, an all African-American combat unit in the U.S. Army Air Corps. Part of the reason for Anyadike's voyage was to honor the Tuskegee Airmen, dozens of whom she met throughout the journey.
Anyadike learned to fly both an airplane and a helicopter at Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum in Compton in an after-school program that offers aviation lessons to underprivileged and at-risk youth. The museum owns the plane she flew on this historical trip.

It was Anyadike's idea to fly cross-country. She knew it would take tremendous preparation, but she felt strongly that she could do it. The Tuskegee Airmen served as further motivation for the high-flying teen.

"They left such a great legacy," she said. "I had big shoes to fill. All they wanted to do was to be patriots for this country. They were told no, that they were stupid, that they didn't have cognitive development to fly planes. They didn't listen. They just did what they wanted to do."'
Robin Petgrave, the aeronautical museum's founder tried to temper Anyadike's enthusiasm. "I told her it was going to be a daunting task but she just said, 'Put it on. I got big shoulders.' "
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by Bay1970(m): 3:14am On Jul 15, 2009
High Flying, Adored - 15-Year-Old Girl Pilots a Plane Coast to Coast

15-year-old Kimberly Anyadike finished a record-breaking flight across the country, becoming what is believed to be the youngest African-American female to pilot an airplane from coast to coast. The adventurous teenager flew from Compton Woodley Airport in Compton, CA, to Newport News, VA ,and back, making thirteen stops along the way. Her flight companions were an adult safety pilot and Levi Thornhill, an 87-year-old World War II veteran who flew with the Tuskegee Airmen, an all African-American combat unit in the U.S. Army Air Corps. Part of the reason for Anyadike's voyage was to honor the Tuskegee Airmen, dozens of whom she met throughout the journey.
Anyadike learned to fly both an airplane and a helicopter at Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum in Compton in an after-school program that offers aviation lessons to underprivileged and at-risk youth. The museum owns the plane she flew on this historical trip.

It was Anyadike's idea to fly cross-country. She knew it would take tremendous preparation, but she felt strongly that she could do it. The Tuskegee Airmen served as further motivation for the high-flying teen.

"They left such a great legacy," she said. "I had big shoes to fill. All they wanted to do was to be patriots for this country. They were told no, that they were stupid, that they didn't have cognitive development to fly planes. They didn't listen. They just did what they wanted to do."'
Robin Petgrave, the aeronautical museum's founder tried to temper Anyadike's enthusiasm. "I told her it was going to be a daunting task but she just said, 'Put it on. I got big shoulders.' "

[quote][/quote]
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by savanaha: 3:18am On Jul 15, 2009
That's great!!!
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by cheatmaker: 9:31am On Jul 15, 2009
Happy for her. I taught she was brought up in nigeria. It would have been a better news. We need things to start happening from nigeria not african america.
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by topup: 3:00pm On Jul 15, 2009
cheatmaker:

Happy for her. I taught she was brought up in nigeria. It would have been a better news. We need things to start happening from nigeria not african america.

Yeah, not clawing for success stories wherever I can. If she purposely identifies with Nigeria, that's a different thing to her just being Nigerian. For all I know she might prefer to be called American. .
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by spikedcylinder: 3:04pm On Jul 15, 2009
topup:

Yeah, not clawing for success stories wherever I can. If she purposely identifies with Nigeria, that's a different thing to her just being Nigerian. For all I know she might prefer to be called American. .

Exactly.
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by Turiano(m): 1:16pm On Jul 16, 2009
That was an interestin news,gd 4 d yng grl.
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by Adeyeancah(m): 8:27pm On Jul 16, 2009
that's go0d.i knew she can't be naija based.
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by drn0(m): 5:24pm On Jul 17, 2009
Definately, dis anoda story of 9ja root but neva kno wetin 9ja really means, wish her all d best sha, U neva can tell she might come back lukin 4 9ja wit a solution 2 motherland's problem
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by philip0906(m): 11:46pm On Jul 17, 2009
drn0:

Definately, dis anoda story of 9ja root but neva kno wetin 9ja really means, wish her all d best sha, U neva can tell she might come back lukin 4 9ja wit a solution 2 motherland's problem
I will personally discourage her 4rm coming.NEVER.abi u want make dem use her dey do spokeswoman on behalf of the F.G or ministry of aviation?abegi.she go carry dat her fine brain help better country jare,not naija.
Re: 15 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Guinness World Record by PurestBoy(m): 12:25am On Jul 18, 2009
Why she no school for naija here and get her name on the book here. Why obodo oyinbo?

(1) (Reply)

Can Etisalat Pay? / Check Out This Bad Boy: Snake Killed At My Office / Former BBN Winner, Katung Aduwak And Wife Celebrates 4th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.