Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. (34372 Views)

What Is The Difference Between a Cover Letter And an Application Letter? / What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by jennex05(m): 7:46am On Mar 04, 2016
From my survey while communicating with job seekers on BBM, one of the most widely asked questions is : "What is a Cover Letter"?

I'll put you through on this and also show you a sample template which you can always use in applying for jobs.

According to Google, A Cover Letter is defined as "A letter sent with, and explaining the contents of, another document or a parcel of goods."

A cover letter typically accompanies each CV/resume you send out to provide additional information on why or how you are qualified for the job you are applying for.

Effective cover letters explain the reasons for your interest in the specific job in an organization and identify your most relevant skills or experiences.

Your cover letter could make the difference between obtaining a job interview and having your resume ignored, so it makes good sense to devote the necessary time and effort to writing effective cover letters.
A cover letter should complement, not duplicate, your resume. A cover letter is critical in creating a very good first impression.

Cover letters are generally one page at most in length, divided into a header, introduction, body, and closing

Below is a template/blueprint I have suggested for you in writing your cover letters:

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
Dear [insert name of recruiting manager],
BODY
First paragraph: Mention the job you’re applying for and where you found the job listing.

Middle paragraphs:
Discuss your qualifications. These paragraphs should be specifically tailored to requirements posted in the job listing. You might also consider including why this specific company interested you in the first place. Limit this section to two to three paragraphs.

Final paragraph: If you are going to follow up in one to two weeks, mention a specific date. If you would prefer to leave the ball in their court, say that you look forward to discussing your qualifications further. Also provide your email address and phone number. Don’t forget to thank them for their time.

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Also, below is a Sample real world Cover Letter that follows the template above:

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
The Human Resource Manager
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in the Coordinator position advertised on ABC Media. Given my related experience and excellent capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job opening. My skills are an ideal match for this position.
As a professional administrative assistant with excellent research skills, I am eager to contribute my abilities and experience to XYZ Company. Given my extensive training and background, I believe I can help XYZ Company meet its goal of providing only the most accurate and timely information to its clients.
Please find enclosed my resume and a list of my references. Feel free to call me at 1234567890, to arrange a time to meet. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

Source: http://www.jobzilla.ng/2013/04/what-is-cover-letter-how-to-write-cover.html

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!

77 Likes 22 Shares

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Last2comment(m): 7:46am On Mar 04, 2016
Good one
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by magabounce(m): 8:06am On Mar 04, 2016
Roger dat
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by englishmart(m): 6:35am On Mar 05, 2016
these days, we hardly write, we type.

4 Likes

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Sunnycliff(m): 6:38am On Mar 05, 2016
Quite Informative. But the irony is that often times most of the good jobs one gets is not by this process. Its often network and connection. My first job was not by letter but by asking will you do this? I said yes.
Though I voluntarily resigned for my second job before entrepreneurship was still done without all this protocols.
Networking and connection rocks. Even most good cover letters is left at the mercy of the HR

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Adeoba10(m): 6:39am On Mar 05, 2016
D number of times wey i don write n edit dis cover letter, e don pass d number of times wey CHUKWU CIROMA ADEKUNLE write waec.... #sad

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by jopretty(f): 6:41am On Mar 05, 2016
Thanks...ryt on time! wink
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by mccoy47(m): 6:43am On Mar 05, 2016
I tot d 1st paragarph is supposed to be an introduction of yourself?
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by gokay11(m): 6:44am On Mar 05, 2016
Nice one

3 Likes

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by loomer: 6:48am On Mar 05, 2016
mccoy47:
I tot d 1st paragarph is supposed to be an introduction of yourself?

Gbam, u get am, but you know say naija things dey sabi different well well
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Pinkiedearie(f): 6:50am On Mar 05, 2016
Wow!!..thanks
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Nobody: 6:50am On Mar 05, 2016
An easier way to clarify this to Nigerians is by stating "a cover letter is a formal letter to the employer or HR Office.". The job seekers put 2 and 2 together on the details. Shikena.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Dbisector(m): 6:56am On Mar 05, 2016
Good, God bless you for enlightened me
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Ujunkem(f): 6:58am On Mar 05, 2016
i thought the writer's address is suppose to be at the right hand side?
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by nerdymufasa(m): 6:59am On Mar 05, 2016
Sweet; always try to write a lil info about the organization u are applying to
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by gbaskiboy: 7:03am On Mar 05, 2016
Adeoba10:
D number of times wey i don write n edit dis cover letter, e don pass d number of times wey CHUKWU CIROMA ADEKUNLE write waec.... #sad
is not funny at all, God will help us oo in this old system

1 Like

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by lexaydfg(m): 7:05am On Mar 05, 2016
Correct O.P
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by pitoski(m): 7:06am On Mar 05, 2016
Also the cover letter should be an one-page letter. That is everything you write or type should NOT exceed one page.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by pitoski(m): 7:08am On Mar 05, 2016
Ujunkem:
i thought the writer's address is suppose to be at the right hand side?
you are right.

1 Like

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Adeoba10(m): 7:09am On Mar 05, 2016
gbaskiboy:
is not funny at all, God will help us oo in this old system
Amen o.... Make HE pick my call o

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Stanbeto: 7:13am On Mar 05, 2016
Cover letter
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by gidjah(m): 7:18am On Mar 05, 2016
Adeoba10:
hahahaha!!!you just reminded me of that young man with all the Major Nigerian names ....way back when waec was waec .

1 Like

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by johndwayy(m): 7:23am On Mar 05, 2016
Thanks op for this information... Pls i hv 2 questions to ask.
When sending an appication for a job through email to a recruiting firm or outsourcing firm, is it appropriate to put the address of the recruiting company since it's through email? Also, what's the best method to send a cover letter, is it to attach it along with the email or to copy and paste it on the body of the message?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by jay2pee(m): 7:23am On Mar 05, 2016
This is good. Will use it as guidelines for writing mine
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by legaccii(m): 7:25am On Mar 05, 2016
jennex05:
From my survey while communicating with job seekers on BBM, one of the most widely asked questions is : "What is a Cover Letter"?

I'll put you through on this and also show you a sample template which you can always use in applying for jobs.

According to Google, A Cover Letter is defined as "A letter sent with, and explaining the contents of, another document or a parcel of goods."

A cover letter typically accompanies each CV/resume you send out to provide additional information on why or how you are qualified for the job you are applying for.

Effective cover letters explain the reasons for your interest in the specific job in an organization and identify your most relevant skills or experiences.

Your cover letter could make the difference between obtaining a job interview and having your resume ignored, so it makes good sense to devote the necessary time and effort to writing effective cover letters.
A cover letter should complement, not duplicate, your resume. A cover letter is critical in creating a very good first impression.

Cover letters are generally one page at most in length, divided into a header, introduction, body, and closing

Below is a template/blueprint I have suggested for you in writing your cover letters:

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
BODY
First paragraph: Mention the job you’re applying for and where you found the job listing.

Middle paragraphs:
Discuss your qualifications. These paragraphs should be specifically tailored to requirements posted in the job listing. You might also consider including why this specific company interested you in the first place. Limit this section to two to three paragraphs.

Final paragraph: If you are going to follow up in one to two weeks, mention a specific date. If you would prefer to leave the ball in their court, say that you look forward to discussing your qualifications further. Also provide your email address and phone number. Don’t forget to thank them for their time.

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Also, below is a Sample real world Cover Letter that follows the template above:

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in the Coordinator position advertised on ABC Media. Given my related experience and excellent capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job opening. My skills are an ideal match for this position.
As a professional administrative assistant with excellent research skills, I am eager to contribute my abilities and experience to XYZ Company. Given my extensive training and background, I believe I can help XYZ Company meet its goal of providing only the most accurate and timely information to its clients.
Please find enclosed my resume and a list of my references. Feel free to call me at 1234567890, to arrange a time to meet. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

Source: http://www.jobzilla.ng/2013/04/what-is-cover-letter-how-to-write-cover.html

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!

will like to ask is it going to be in typed or written form.?
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by segsxpendable(m): 7:26am On Mar 05, 2016
this is just very nice....thumbs up OP!
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Peckygirl(f): 7:27am On Mar 05, 2016
jennex05:

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
BODY

Middle paragraphs:

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!

I love this. Thanks a million.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by osujiikenna(m): 7:28am On Mar 05, 2016
Sorry I want to ask a question...I taught in a cover letter,there is a need to write like this; APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A SUPERVISOR . Secondly,its a cover letter not the same wit an application letter?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by phorget(m): 7:31am On Mar 05, 2016
interesting
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by timothyuche1(m): 7:34am On Mar 05, 2016
New format everyday
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by tobaxline(m): 7:36am On Mar 05, 2016
NO TITLE/HEADING?
jennex05:

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
BODY

Middle paragraphs:

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!

1 Like

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Nobody: 7:38am On Mar 05, 2016
Informative !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Important: Notice to Jobseekers / Lagos State To Engage 4,000 Graduates In Internship, To Pay 40,000 Monthly / Guaranty Trust Bank Is Recruiting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.