Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. (34377 Views)

What Is The Difference Between a Cover Letter And an Application Letter? / What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by tobaxline(m): 7:39am On Mar 05, 2016
NO TITLE/HEADING? as it may be
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by crispberry(f): 7:43am On Mar 05, 2016
Op, your head is there gidigba
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by expatriate(m): 7:43am On Mar 05, 2016
osujiikenna:
Sorry I want to ask a question...I taught in a cover letter,there is a need to write like this; APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A SUPERVISOR . Secondly,its a cover letter not the same wit an application letter?

These days firms no longer need application letter. The cover latter and CV does The work.
Don't ever write APPLICATION FOR... Its not. Conventional.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by zizi04(m): 7:48am On Mar 05, 2016
you did well. thanks
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Nobody: 8:02am On Mar 05, 2016
Adeoba10:
D number of times wey i don write n edit dis cover letter, e don pass d number of times wey CHUKWU CIROMA ADEKUNLE write waec.... #sad

that Chukwuma do write the whole subjects every year..

d guy no dey tire

who send am?

he wan kill himself by himself?

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 05, 2016
Thanks for this!
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Valintos147(f): 8:08am On Mar 05, 2016
osujiikenna:
Sorry I want to ask a question...I taught in a cover letter,there is a need to write like this; APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A SUPERVISOR . Secondly,its a cover letter not the same wit an application letter?

There is a different btw A Cover Letter and Application Letter. Cover letter: shows the relevant skills you possess and why the Company in question should employ (I.e right fit. For the Job) and Application Letter: shows that you are formally expressing your interest on that Job). You have to get it right, In all may God Almighty answer US on time.

1 Like

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Valintos147(f): 8:16am On Mar 05, 2016
[quote author=jennex05 post=43465545]From my survey while communicating with job seekers on BBM, one of the most widely asked questions is : "What is a Cover Letter"?

I'll put you through on this and also show you a sample template which you can always use in applying for jobs.

According to Google, A Cover Letter is defined as "A letter sent with, and explaining the contents of, another document or a parcel of goods."

A cover letter typically accompanies each CV/resume you send out to provide additional information on why or how you are qualified for the job you are applying for.

Effective cover letters explain the reasons for your interest in the specific job in an organization and identify your most relevant skills or experiences.

Your cover letter could make the difference between obtaining a job interview and having your resume ignored, so it makes good sense to devote the necessary time and effort to writing effective cover letters.
A cover letter should complement, not duplicate, your resume. A cover letter is critical in creating a very good first impression.

Cover letters are generally one page at most in length, divided into a header, introduction, body, and closing

Below is a template/blueprint I have suggested for you in writing your cover letters:

APP [b]APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
Dear [insert name of recruiting manager],
BODY
First paragraph: Mention the job you’re applying for and where you found the job listing.

Middle paragraphs:
Discuss your qualifications. These paragraphs should be specifically tailored to requirements posted in the job listing. You might also consider including why this specific company interested you in the first place. Limit this section to two to three paragraphs.

Final paragraph: If you are going to follow up in one to two weeks, mention a specific date. If you would prefer to leave the ball in their court, say that you look forward to discussing your qualifications further. Also provide your email address and phone number. Don’t forget to thank them for their time.

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Also, below is a Sample real world Cover Letter that follows the template above:

E Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
The Human Resource Manager
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in the Coordinator position advertised on ABC Media. Given my related experience and excellent capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job opening. My skills are an ideal match for this position.
As a professional administrative assistant with excellent research skills, I am eager to contribute my abilities and experience to XYZ Company. Given my extensive training and background, I believe I can help XYZ Company meet its goal of providing only the most accurate and timely information to its clients.
Please find encl
Very Informative, for those that are looking for lucrative Job search, The Lord Almighty shall answer you All. #Favour as you go job Market.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by mojysiola(f): 8:29am On Mar 05, 2016
Adeoba10:
D number of times wey i don write n edit dis cover letter, e don pass d number of times wey CHUKWU CIROMA ADEKUNLE write waec.... #sad
it is well. God will surprise you with a good job soonest.

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by bubbleslink: 8:33am On Mar 05, 2016
nice 1
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by makabulchi(m): 8:41am On Mar 05, 2016
Adeoba10:
Loooooooooooooooooool...bad guy
Bros u carry mi go back

1 Like

Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by belcom10(m): 8:44am On Mar 05, 2016
Gud one
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 05, 2016
is it compulsory to write a cover letter?
and what is the difference between a cover letter and application letter?
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Raymee(m): 9:04am On Mar 05, 2016
Without reading much, I must say you tried to raised this interesting topic but, I don't know if you will agree with me that, new media, has put us ahead of this practice. U may not need any cover later for some jobs. Once you apply & called for scrutiny, those with virtual presence in digital world would take the lead. I'll explain, if you are a social media Ardent, not meaningless ones though, all your worth would reflects especially if you are a skillful person. Those you have served & all that. And if not, you are going to be access base in what you can offer practically, not because your cover letter was good or not. Infact, the world is going digitalised, so I don't think in my opinion if some companies still depends much on such. Due to effective bridge in digital-divide, some interviews are done via social network connections. And a whole lot that can only be explained till tomorrow. So it's quite a big turn from your point to the global trend though some companies still practices it. Good point you made OP, I must commend.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by kentochi(m): 9:22am On Mar 05, 2016
jennex05:
From my survey while communicating with job seekers on BBM, one of the most widely asked questions is : "What is a Cover Letter"?

I'll put you through on this and also show you a sample template which you can always use in applying for jobs.

According to Google, A Cover Letter is defined as "A letter sent with, and explaining the contents of, another document or a parcel of goods."

A cover letter typically accompanies each CV/resume you send out to provide additional information on why or how you are qualified for the job you are applying for.

Effective cover letters explain the reasons for your interest in the specific job in an organization and identify your most relevant skills or experiences.

Your cover letter could make the difference between obtaining a job interview and having your resume ignored, so it makes good sense to devote the necessary time and effort to writing effective cover letters.
A cover letter should complement, not duplicate, your resume. A cover letter is critical in creating a very good first impression.

Cover letters are generally one page at most in length, divided into a header, introduction, body, and closing

Below is a template/blueprint I have suggested for you in writing your cover letters:

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
BODY
First paragraph: Mention the job you’re applying for and where you found the job listing.

Middle paragraphs:
Discuss your qualifications. These paragraphs should be specifically tailored to requirements posted in the job listing. You might also consider including why this specific company interested you in the first place. Limit this section to two to three paragraphs.

Final paragraph: If you are going to follow up in one to two weeks, mention a specific date. If you would prefer to leave the ball in their court, say that you look forward to discussing your qualifications further. Also provide your email address and phone number. Don’t forget to thank them for their time.

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Also, below is a Sample real world Cover Letter that follows the template above:

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in the Coordinator position advertised on ABC Media. Given my related experience and excellent capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this job opening. My skills are an ideal match for this position.
As a professional administrative assistant with excellent research skills, I am eager to contribute my abilities and experience to XYZ Company. Given my extensive training and background, I believe I can help XYZ Company meet its goal of providing only the most accurate and timely information to its clients.
Please find enclosed my resume and a list of my references. Feel free to call me at 1234567890, to arrange a time to meet. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

Source: http://www.jobzilla.ng/2013/04/what-is-cover-letter-how-to-write-cover.html

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!
thanks
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by AkpanUnanam(m): 9:25am On Mar 05, 2016
Good for young graduate!
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by olaideeeedris(m): 9:40am On Mar 05, 2016
Good one
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Politicowizard(m): 10:11am On Mar 05, 2016
Adamu Keneth Ogunleye
22 Ogundare Street
Iyanapaja, Lagos State
November 13th, 2015

HR Manager
XYZ Limited
Union Marble House
1 Allfred Rewane Road
PMB 40032
Falamo Ikoyi, Lagos

Dear Sir,
In regard of the position of Executive Trainee Refinery you posted on your career website, I would like to take this opportunity to apply. Without wishing to sound boastful, I recently graduated with a first class degree in civil engineering. I am keenly excited about this opportunity and as a big stage for my talents, I am particularly attracted to your highly reputed organization because of its array of opportunities for career growth as well as my drive in bringing my strengths to bear towards realizing company’s new heights.
As a proactive and highly resourceful fresher, my penchant for excellence and achieving mindset are second to none. I have a first-rate skill in AutoCAD, Orion and MS Office Suite. More so, I grasp fresh concepts quickly and can easily adapt and fit-in to changing environments and tasks. My experiences with Emchai Nigeria Limited has helped me develop good leadership and entrepreneurial qualities, impressive interpersonal and communication skills with a proven ability to work in a multi-cultural setting. I believe I offer the right combination of skills to just be that person.
For your reference, I have enclosed a copy of my resume. Thank you for your favorable consideration of my application as I look forward to showcasing my abilities further at a personal interview and subsequently joining your team.

Sincerely,
Adamu Keneth Ogunleye.
Enclosed: CV

Pls I need criticisms regarding this.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 05, 2016
Can one write a cover letter without resume or cv?
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by stanisbaratheon: 11:31am On Mar 05, 2016
informative
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Freewoman(f): 11:35am On Mar 05, 2016
jennex05:
From my survey while communicating with job seekers on BBM, one of the most widely asked questions is : "What is a Cover Letter"?

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
BODY

Middle paragraphs:

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,
Please find enclosed my resume and a list of my references. Feel free to call me at 1234567890, to arrange a time to meet. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

Source: http://www.jobzilla.ng/2013/04/what-is-cover-letter-how-to-write-cover.html

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!

Good to know ......................................................
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by Bash92(m): 11:57am On Mar 05, 2016
jennex05:

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
BODY

Middle paragraphs:

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!
Nice
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by blezynetym(f): 12:21pm On Mar 05, 2016
Thanks
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by saintnegroid(m): 12:42pm On Mar 05, 2016
loomer:

Gbam, u get am, but you know say naija things dey sabi different well well
no company is interested in knowing your name and your village or how many children your parents have, all what they want to know is what you can do for the company, but before this, you must tell them how you got the information about the company hence the first paragraph
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by saintnegroid(m): 12:44pm On Mar 05, 2016
Ujunkem:
i thought the writer's address is suppose to be at the right hand side?
that was in the past, now all the address is at the left hand side including your name and signature at the end of the letter
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by eniayo6664(m): 1:49pm On Mar 05, 2016
Informative.....but Pls......what is the different between cover letter and the application letter??
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by eniayo6664(m): 1:49pm On Mar 05, 2016
Informative.....but Pls......what is the different between cover letter and the application letter??
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by ALIEN2000(m): 2:40pm On Mar 05, 2016
Talk about a Godsent....Trying 2 Write one now... So Help Me God.
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by loomer: 2:54pm On Mar 05, 2016
saintnegroid:
no company is interested in knowing your name and your village or how many children your parents have, all what they want to know is what you can do for the company, but before this, you must tell them how you got the information about the company hence the first paragraph

Agreed, but naija too make things hard
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by vitality22(m): 3:16pm On Mar 05, 2016
Good one
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by IRIENBOY(m): 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2016
nice
Re: What Is A Cover Letter? How To Write One. Sample Template. by joeybankz: 8:56am On Jun 17, 2016
You are the best bro
jennex05:

APPLICANT ADDRESS
RECRUITER ADDRESS

SALUTATION
BODY

Middle paragraphs:

CLOSE
Best Regards,
[insert your name]

Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,

Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

I hope this helps. ****
Good luck guys!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Detect A SCAM Interview Using Nairaland / Important: Notice to Jobseekers / Lagos State To Engage 4,000 Graduates In Internship, To Pay 40,000 Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.