Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,044 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? (15318 Views)

How Do You Receive Funds From Google/youtube ? / Ghanaian Teen Develops A Search Engine That Can Rival Google's Youtube / Why Facebook Live Video Streaming Service Is Dark On Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by bettercreature(m): 12:32pm On Mar 04, 2016
I was reading on CNN few minutes ago that uk government will increased facebook and google taxes and germany will soon do the same,i'm just wondering why these companies are not paying taxes in Nigeria whereas they pay heavy taxes in other countries

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by spikesC(m): 2:49pm On Mar 04, 2016
They do not have companies in Nigeria but do in those countries.

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by kennyman2000(m): 6:17am On Mar 05, 2016
God bless the op above me for the answer.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband

2 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by mccoy47(m): 6:17am On Mar 05, 2016
Maybe its cuz they do not have offices here in Nigeria.
I stand to be corrected but has anyone seen a building in Nigeria that houses Facebook office?
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:18am On Mar 05, 2016
Cos BOOOhari is incompetent ....undecided

Cheers smiley

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Phonon: 6:18am On Mar 05, 2016
Uber should be on that list.

2 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by kennysteve77: 6:18am On Mar 05, 2016
Because Nigeria is yet to recognize the Internet in her constitution. The technology is still alien to us...

20 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:19am On Mar 05, 2016
In one answer, the question is solved. Why waste time bringing this to the frontpage if not to water down the comment section with immature vituperations?

11 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by DollyB(m): 6:19am On Mar 05, 2016
spikesC:
That's a lie. My brother Google has an office in Lagos....make your findings abeg!

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:19am On Mar 05, 2016
As far as am concerned,we don't need it & am not bothered,cos even if they pay $1billion tax annually to Nigerian government,it wouldn't impact anything on any Nigerian,rather it would end up in the pocket of few individuals to make em wealthier....So op,bother not

[size=20pt]Let the portion of Nigeria be given to those that can make good use of it,to the likes of UNICEF,WHO or UN[/size]

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by kyceeQ(f): 6:20am On Mar 05, 2016
spikesC:
You should've said they do not have offices or branches in Nigeria. It's still one body, company.

And moreover, there's google office here in Lagos, Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by AreaFada2: 6:20am On Mar 05, 2016
If the have offices in 9ja and operate as a concern, then they will pay tax.

If not, just being available online in 9ja doesn't mean they have tax obligations.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Princejebs(m): 6:20am On Mar 05, 2016
Ok

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by tobyemmanuel(m): 6:22am On Mar 05, 2016
Just came to book space. tongue
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by husnath(m): 6:22am On Mar 05, 2016
their customers are not paying for the services and you expect the companies to pay taxes to the government

6 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:22am On Mar 05, 2016
end time tax
end time government
end time internet
infact end time everything
hit like for endtime post
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by osjoshua(m): 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
and Nairaland 2
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
kennysteve77:
Because Nigeria is yet to recognize the Internet in her constitution. The technology is still alien to us...
Not really. Konga, Jumia and my uncle's e-commerce site pay tax. I guess the criteria to getting taxed involves running physical operations in the country. Jumia and Konga have physical offices as well as my uncle's business which includes physical warehousing of goods.
Facebook, from my point of view does none of those since they offer only an intangible form of service.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Acidosis(m): 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
Is Linda Ikeji paying taxes to the UK government? Germany? US? And every other nation of the world?

Lol

Should SEUN pay taxes to the UK government since many Nigerians in the UK surf Nairaland ? Even when SEUN GOT NO office in the UK?

42 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by MrImole: 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
E se olootu.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Macclane(m): 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
Its a true question
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by NaLaugh: 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
I'm pretty sure Facebook has no official operations in Nigeria. Google might.

Now, for your question to be valid to begin with, we have to establish that the said companies don't pay taxes in Nigeria.

If Google indeed has an office in Nigeria, then where's your proof that they're not meeting their business tax obligations?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by kyceeQ(f): 6:25am On Mar 05, 2016
husnath:
their customers are not paying for the services and you expect the companies to pay taxes to the government
The question is... Do they make money with your presence? If they do, then they've got to pay.

The government should use them at this early stage to set a paradigm.
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by adebayo201: 6:25am On Mar 05, 2016
JESUSBOIY:
Cos BOOOhari is incompetent ....undecided

Cheers smiley

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by Acidosis(m): 6:26am On Mar 05, 2016
DollyB:
That's a lie. My brother Google has an office in Lagos....make your findings abeg!

Then Google Nigeria pay taxes just like any other foreign company registered in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by magicminister: 6:27am On Mar 05, 2016
if they do not have a structure in Nigeria, then they are not liable to tax.
Even if they have a structure in Nigeria, their tax will only be limited to the amount generated by their Nigerian branch!!

gerrit??

3 Likes

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by alt3r3g0: 6:27am On Mar 05, 2016
DollyB:

Can you say for a fact that Google is not paying tax?
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by biggie1: 6:31am On Mar 05, 2016
SMH...Facebook doesn't have any office in Nigeria. But Google's office is in Ikoyi Lagos, I can tell you that Google pays tax. Okay? Did you even make your findings before coming to NL or you just want to make FP?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by chukslawrence(m): 6:34am On Mar 05, 2016
I don't know
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by eedriyz(m): 6:35am On Mar 05, 2016
biggie1:
SMH...Facebook doesn't have any office in Nigeria. But Google's office is in Ikoyi Lagos, I can tell you that Google pays tax. Okay? Did you even make your findings before coming to NL or you just want to make FP?
Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by naptu2: 6:36am On Mar 05, 2016
spikesC:

Google Nigeria,
3rd Floor, Mulliner Towers,
39 Kingsway Road, Ikoyi,
Lagos, Nigeria

www.google.com.ng

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Facebook,google,youtube Are Not Paying Taxes In Nigeria? by seguno2: 6:37am On Mar 05, 2016
They are waiting for our governments- federal, states and LGAs - to ask them to pay.
Have you seen anyone who pays when no one has asked him to pay
Did Linda Ikeji not pay only N6,000 taxes in four years despite buying a N500 million mansion?
Can that happen in UK, Germany, USA, France etc?
I don't think so.
In short, we Nigerians are very unserious people who like to complain but are not ready to contribute and work towards meaningful solutions (such as effective tax system for everyone). Instead we are waiting for another person to solve all our problems.
How will we not remain slaves to such a person/people who always solve our own problems?

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Monthly Income Of Web Designers / Developers In Nigeria / Which Is Better To Start In 2022: Blogging Or Youtube / Fix Your Phone Without Leaving Your Comfort

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.