Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? (2526 Views)

Are U Relocating, Busy Or Financially Unstable? I Help In Breeding Your Dog. / Traumatised Gsd- How Do I Help Him? / help me identify the breed of this dog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 2:48pm On Mar 07, 2016
Hi guys, i need your advice. Sorry this is going to be a bit long.

I think my landlord's dog is being mistreated. She's a one year old GSD. A very pretty dog. She is very playful, full of energy, but also aggressive to strangers.
But hasn't been given any single training. She only responds when you chase her to her cage or when you ask her to come.
She is being beaten at least once every two days with sticks. Sometimes the beating can last for as long as 15 minutes, where she'll keep crying badly all through.
Her major offences are not more than pooing inside her cage, running outside when the gate is left open mistakenly, or biting shoes left outside. My problem is, she is not even being made to see that this is her offence, neither is she corrected at the very moment she commits the so-called offence.
How do you expect a dog to not poo inside her cage when you feed her in the morning inside the cage without letting her out to poo until midnight?
Most times the beating happens at night, and it worries me to the extent that i can't sleep.
My other issues with her treatment is her diet. Her diet consists of just boiled indomie. No fish, no meat. That's all. Sometimes they throw biscuit or bone inside the cage for her. But i always make sure i give her some pieces of chicken or fish everyday.

My question is how best do i approach the landlord and talk to him about this? He's a no-nonsense quick-tempered man and my hubby has advised me not to intervene. Or should i speak to his wife instead? We're friends. I just feel i should do something. The beatings are getting too much. I saw some injuries on her body yesterday. The last time she even had her bath should be September cry

NB: Mods pls I don't need this on fp. Let it remain here for real pet lovers to share their opinion

3 Likes

Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by blasiangurl85(f): 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2016
Hi Mitchy, this is really a sad situation and a bit complicated. The only advice I can give you is either you try to offer your help regarding feeding. I have done that in the past when I saw my neighbours were not taking care of their dogs and they didn't refuse. Since you said the man is quick tempered and also beats the poor dog mercilessly, approaching him might even make it worse. You can find out if maybe they are willing to sell her off. Maybe talking to his wife might help but somehow I doubt it. It's sad but that's the reality of how things are. A lot of people acquire pets and aren't ready for what it takes to raise and care for them. I really really really hate hearing stories like this.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 4:21pm On Mar 07, 2016
@blasiangurl85 They definitely don't want to sell her
because they always show her off to people. They don't realize that the dog would have looked worse if i wasn't giving her those protein. They are even preparing for when she comes on heat.
Sometimes the dog can be sitting on her own, the man will just deliberately stand on one of her legs, just to hear her wince in pain. I don't know if this treatment is some sort of training but its just not right.
Whenever they release her, she'll run straight to my door to look for me.
I'm thinking of getting chicken backs for her this week. How do you prepare yours for Shadow?

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by blasiangurl85(f): 4:29pm On Mar 07, 2016
You know this is one of the reasons I'm so reluctant to mate shadow or the other female dogs I have because you don't know where those puppies will end up. I'm actually so angry right now.

I usually boil the chicken backs for him. Although I'm hoping eventually to transition him to raw. You can boil them and pack them up in little containers and freeze. Everyday I bring out a container to thaw and feed him once it's fully thawed. Since you said they give her noodles you can also mix a little of the chicken stock with the noodles.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2016
Okay. Thanks a lot. Will do that. If i had the strength, i would have even given her a bath, because i still have some leftover shampoo i was using for my dog. I've been thinking of buying her a nice collar but i don't know how some people reason, before they start thinking i want to take over ownership of the dog.
We still have a long way to go in Nigeria with our treatment of pets
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by blasiangurl85(f): 5:49pm On Mar 07, 2016
Just tell them you have some left over doggy items you would like to give her. I'm sure they won't refuse. If anything I'm sure they would be happy they don't even have to bother about her.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by LordRegalia: 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
mitchyy:
Hi guys, i need your advice. Sorry this is going to be a bit long.
I think my landlord's dog is being mistreated. She's a one year old GSD. A very pretty dog. She is very playful, full of energy, but also aggressive to strangers.
But hasn't been given any single training. She only responds when you chase her to her cage or when you ask her to come.
She is being beaten at least once every two days with sticks. Sometimes the beating can last for as long as 15 minutes, where she'll keep crying badly all through.
Her major offences are not more than pooing inside her cage, running outside when the gate is left open mistakenly, or biting shoes left outside. My problem is, she is not even being made to see that this is her offence, neither is she corrected at the very moment she commits the so-called offence.
How do you expect a dog to not poo inside her cage when you feed her in the morning inside the cage without letting her out to poo until midnight?
Most times the beating happens at night, and it worries me to the extent that i can't sleep.
My other issues with her treatment is her diet. Her diet consists of just boiled indomie. No fish, no meat. That's all. Sometimes they throw biscuit or bone inside the cage for her. But i always make sure i give her some pieces of chicken or fish everyday.
My question is how best do i approach the landlord and talk to him about this? He's a no-nonsense quick-tempered man and my hubby has advised me not to intervene. Or should i speak to his wife instead? We're friends. I just feel i should do something. The beatings are getting too much. I saw some injuries on her body yesterday. The last time she even had her bath should be September cry
NB: Mods pls I don't need this on fp. Let it remain here for real pet lovers to share their opinion

Hello mitchyy.

I believe blasiangurl85 has said about all there is you could do to help the dog. However, I would simply like to add that you need to be careful when and how you offer the dog food items. I think you'd best do it with your landlord's permission or (if this isn't awkward) buy or give them the food to feed the dog themselves. The reason I say this is because, Nigeria is a funny place and Nigerians could be funny. You hear a lot of stories and accusations like "My dog died. My neighbour poisoned it" and I am sure you do not want to be the subject of that kind of accusation when you are actually trying to do good and help. Moreover, a lot of people do not like other people feeding their dogs especially in their absence. I personally do not like other people feeding my dogs anything at all, be it in my presence or absence. I hate it so much that I trained my dogs not to take food from people or to pick food items from the floor.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by arcbay(m): 6:29pm On Mar 07, 2016
Hey mitchy, if I found myself in ur shoes, there's a trick I can play. but I'll like to ask a question first...Do u still have Elmo? If not, get a dog, train him indoors, train him right, raise him well.

This way, ur landlord will wanna fall in a competition with you. For example, if u buy a blue collar for him today, they'll buy a green collar for theirs tomorrow.

It'll get to a point where he'll be forced to ask u to teach him ur methods.

Some people are not just so learned enough in dog ownership, u need to teach them indirectly.

Engaging the man or his wife verbally might bring up issues between u guys.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 6:42pm On Mar 07, 2016
LordRegalia:

Hello mitchyy.

I believe blasiangurl85 has said about all there is you could do to help the dog. However, I would simply like to add that you need to be careful when and how you offer the dog food items. I think you'd best do it with your landlord's permission or (if this isn't awkward) buy or give them the food to feed the dog themselves. The reason I say this is because, Nigeria is a funny place and Nigerians could be funny. You hear a lot of stories and accusations like "My dog died. My neighbour poisoned it" and I am sure you do not want to be the subject of that kind of accusation when you are actually trying to do good and help. Moreover, a lot of people do not like other people feeding their dogs especially in their absence. I personally do not like other people feeding my dogs anything at all, be it in my presence or absence. I hate it so much that I trained my dogs not to take food from people or to pick food items from the floor.

You're right. Our relationship with them is great, so i felt they wouldn't mind. Plus they know i've had dogs so would definitely know better than feeding it rubbish.
Its really best to play safe though. Maybe i'll just prepare the chicken parts and give the wife, that i got them for the dog, so they can mix it with his noodles. I just don't want to turn a blind eye
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 7:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
arcbay:
Hey mitchy, if I found myself in ur shoes, there's a trick I can play. but I'll like to ask a question first...Do u still have Elmo? If not, get a dog, train him indoors, train him right, raise him well.

This way, ur landlord will wanna fall in a competition with you. For example, if u buy a blue collar for him today, they'll buy a green collar for theirs tomorrow.

It'll get to a point where he'll be forced to ask u to teach him ur methods.

Some people are not just so learned enough in dog ownership, u need to teach them indirectly.

Engaging the man or his wife verbally might bring up issues between u guys.

Unfortunately Elmo is still not back. I'm not strong enough to keep a dog for now. But when Elmo was with me, they saw the way i treat him. I bathe him regularly and he had his nice collar and leash. His feeding bowl is always clean and he listens to some basic commands.
But i guess they only see their dog as a means of security, hence the unfair treatment
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by blasiangurl85(f): 7:44pm On Mar 07, 2016
Mitchy I believe LordRegalia is right. Make sure to ask before you do anything. When I did it with my neighbours dog I just told them I have a lot of left overs that I would like to give their dog because it seems like a waste to throw them away and they agreed to it. I would go everyday with the food and the owners were aware of what i was doing. It didn't stop them from giving the dog one whole chunk of boiled yam( I don't understand how the dog was meant to eat a slab of yam). Since they know you had a dog previously they might just see your actions as you are missing your canine companion.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 7:59pm On Mar 07, 2016
Okay. I'll do just that. Maybe with time, they too will start feeding him well, after seeing what i bring for him. Thanks a lot @all
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by arcbay(m): 8:51pm On Mar 07, 2016
mitchyy:

Unfortunately Elmo is still not back. I'm not strong enough to keep a dog for now. But when Elmo was with me, they saw the way i treat him. I bathe him regularly and he had his nice collar and leash. His feeding bowl is always clean and he listens to some basic commands.
But i guess they only see their dog as a means of security, hence the unfair treatment

If there's some ways u can build a bond with the wife, only then can u make her understand what they're doing wrong. But without the bond and closeness, they might pick offence if u try to correct them.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 12:22pm On Mar 08, 2016
arcbay:

If there's some ways u can build a bond with the wife, only then can u make her understand what they're doing wrong. But without the bond and closeness, they might pick offence if u try to correct them.

Okay. Thanks a lot. I'll first start by always giving the wife the chicken parts i prepared for the dog. That should make her realize i'm genuinely concerned about their dog
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by uchpanila(m): 10:39pm On Mar 10, 2016
LordRegalia:

I personally do not like other people feeding my dogs anything at all, be it in my presence or absence. I hate it so much that I trained my dogs not to take food from people or to pick food items from the floor.

Training them not to pick food items from the floor or taking food from people, please how did you get to do that?
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by snipesc3(m): 9:11am On Mar 11, 2016
Www.jw.org - now I see the genuine interest. Well it is only typical with Jw's keep up the good job. Just be tactful when you handle issues like that. That means if the dog comes down with parvo virus that will be the end of the fellow. And also let him know the dog may never come on heat because of the poor nutrition.
Peace
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by LordRegalia: 5:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
uchpanila:

Training them not to pick food items from the floor or taking food from people, please how did you get to do that?

Hello uchpanila.

I have seen your question and would very much love to respond and explain how I was able to achieve this. However, the entire process is quite extensive, the description of which would likely involve such a long response covering events of several months that I would need to sit on it for quite some time and concentrate on composing it. Unfortunately, I have been very busy lately and unable to make out the time. But do not worry, you can rest assured that I would definitely respond with the details as soon as I possibly can. Bear with me.

Thank you.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by EddyNumerouno(m): 5:41pm On Mar 11, 2016
LordRegalia:

Hello uchpanila.

I have seen your question and would very much love to respond and explain how I was able to achieve this. However, the entire process is quite extensive, the description of which would likely involve such a long response covering events of several months that I would need to sit on it for quite some time and concentrate on composing it. Unfortunately, I have been very busy lately and unable to make out the time. But do not worry, you can rest assured that I would definitely respond with the details as soon as I possibly can. Bear with me.

Thank you.

Hi, eagerly waiting your reply.
My sister's Lhasa never eats anything not placed in its bowl, it's remarkable considering basic obedience was all the training it got.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by uchpanila(m): 6:36pm On Mar 11, 2016
LordRegalia:

Hello uchpanila.

Thank you.

OK will wait
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by Lavendra(f): 6:30pm On May 12, 2016
please how do I potty train my dog? I live in a self con in school and I'll be getting a Samoyed next week any ideas on how I can deal with the poo and pee part?
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by LordRegalia: 7:54pm On May 12, 2016
Lavendra:
please how do I potty train my dog? I live in a self con in school and I'll be getting a Samoyed next week any ideas on how I can deal with the poo and pee part?

Hello Lavendra.

I see you still ask the same potty training question on a few other threads. I believe I already described how to go about it on your own thread a long time ago.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 6:36am On May 13, 2016
Lavendra:

Its pretty easy. I trained my Lhasa in my self con for two years before i got married. And he doesnt poo or pee in my room. If pple have already responded in your other thread and given you the tactics, then try it out first.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by CertifiedSamuel: 6:38am On May 13, 2016
Hello mitchyy,

In as much as this story feels upsetting (I mean with the way the dog is being treated), I honestly think LordRegalia is right.

This is Nigeria. A simple good gesture could turn sour. Of course, I personally will not be comfortable with anyone feeding my dog(s) without my consent.
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 6:49am On May 13, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:
Hello mitchyy,

In as much as this story feels upsetting (I mean with the way the dog is being treated), I honestly think LordRegalia is right.

This is Nigeria. A simple good gesture could turn sour. Of course, I personally will not be comfortable with anyone feeding my dog(s) without my consent.

I already followed their advice long ago and stopped feeding the dog myself. I give them the food to feed her. But she has lost a lot of weight since i stopped and ive decided to turn a blind eye. Cant kill myself.
This post is a bit old
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 7:24pm On May 14, 2016
I wish there was a functional authority in Nigeria to report dog abuse and maltreatment to. This dog is almost going blind on one eye from the beating she got this morning with cassava sticks.
Can't wait to move out and stop seeing this. I'm trying hard not to interfere anymore but it just keeps breaking my heart
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by LordRegalia: 9:49pm On May 14, 2016
mitchyy:
I wish there was a functional authority in Nigeria to report dog abuse and maltreatment to. This dog is almost going blind on one eye from the beating she got this morning with cassava sticks.
Can't wait to move out and stop seeing this. I'm trying hard not to interfere anymore but it just keeps breaking my heart

Hello mitchyy.

Perhaps you could secretly find a person who loves that particular breed to come buy him / her off the irresponsible owners at a price they cannot refuse. That way everyone is happy in the long run; you, the dog, the buyer and the irresponsible owners.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by uchpanila(m): 6:34am On May 15, 2016
mitchyy:

is this dog still suffering? Nawa o
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by Lavendra(f): 3:09am On May 16, 2016
LordRegalia:

Hello Lavendra.

I see you still ask the same potty training question on a few other threads. I believe I already described how to go about it on your own thread a long time ago.

Yes you did I just wanted to hear other people's opinion, I'll be getting the dog next week, I'll send pictures... thanks a lot guys, the Samoyed is a year and six months...
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by mitchyy(f): 11:52am On May 16, 2016
Lavendra:

Yes you did I just wanted to hear other people's opinion, I'll be getting the dog next week, I'll send pictures... thanks a lot guys, the Samoyed is a year and six months...

A year and six months is already grown o. I just hope he has already been housebroken in the puppy stage, else you have a whole lot of work in your hands
Re: I Need Advice! How Else Can I Help This Dog? by Lavendra(f): 9:38am On May 19, 2016
it's a she, yes it would be different but I heard its very possible to still train a grown dog, we should chat on whatsapp dear, please add me thus is my whatsapp number 08182950134

(1) (Reply)

Petlanders, How Do I Give My Dog This? / Purebred Boerboel Puppies Available For New Homes / Rabbits For Pets And Consumption Available In Enugu!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.