Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? (2819 Views)

Cost Of Building A Wall / Beautiful Plaster Of Paris (POP) Installations..pictures Included / How Much To Plaster This Bungalow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? by adanny01(m): 10:55pm On Mar 07, 2016
This issue has continually bothered my mind.

Why do Nigerians plaster a wall then install tiles on it. I expect that the bare wall of the sandcrete blocks is rough enough (coarse gradation) and preferable to the almost smooth surface of the plaster (fine gradation).

I know that it is required that after plaster and before hardening, the plaster should be roughed up to prep the surface that will be tiled.

Isnt it a waste of effort and resources to plaster as the bare wall has more rough surface to hold the tile than the plastered surface?

I lived in a rented house were the landlord renovated his house built in 1994 to modern finishing. He introduced skirtings and tiled the building externally below the skirting. Few years down the line, the house became a gory sight as the tiles continue to break lose from the wall. The particular tile design was no longer available in the market for him to buy few packs and replace. He had only one option, remove all tiles and reinstall with new ones. Of course, the cost was an issue.

The point is, if the house wasnt plastered smooth before the remodelling, his tiles wouldnt have fallen off so soon. The old wall was just too smooth even after the tilers did some work in scratching the wall surface. The wall had been painted before which also contributed.

Therefore, for a new building, is it not better to tile directly on the blocks?
Re: Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? by KingRex1(m): 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2016
to get a levelled nd nd even surface.
Re: Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2016
that's true, man. but wait let me tell my oga @ the top, architecture
Re: Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? by Mailthaddeus(m): 2:23pm On Aug 26, 2016
adanny01:
This issue has continually bothered my mind.

Why do Nigerians plaster a wall then install tiles on it. I expect that the bare wall of the sandcrete blocks is rough enough (coarse gradation) and preferable to the almost smooth surface of the plaster (fine gradation).

I know that it is required that after plaster and before hardening, the plaster should be roughed up to prep the surface that will be tiled.

Isnt it a waste of effort and resources to plaster as the bare wall has more rough surface to hold the tile than the plastered surface?

I lived in a rented house were the landlord renovated his house built in 1994 to modern finishing. He introduced skirtings and tiled the building externally below the skirting. Few years down the line, the house became a gory sight as the tiles continue to break lose from the wall. The particular tile design was no longer available in the market for him to buy few packs and replace. He had only one option, remove all tiles and reinstall with new ones. Of course, the cost was an issue.

The point is, if the house wasnt plastered smooth before the remodelling, his tiles wouldnt have fallen off so soon. The old wall was just too smooth even after the tilers did some work in scratching the wall surface. The wall had been painted before which also contributed.

Therefore, for a new building, is it not better to tile directly on the blocks?

The kind of plastering done on a wall to be tilled is not to be smooth. It's to be very rough and the mortar will grip better to its surface compared to a mere sandcret block. Unfortunately, some builders allow their mason do smooth rendering on walls to be tiled and this will eventually cause d tiles to fall off in due time.
Re: Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? by adanny01(m): 8:42pm On Aug 26, 2016
Mailthaddeus:

The kind of plastering done on a wall to be tilled is not to be smooth. It's to be very rough and the mortar will grip better to its surface compared to a mere sandcret block. Unfortunately, some builders allow their mason do smooth rendering on walls to be tiled and this will eventually cause d tiles to fall off in due time.

Recently, I have seen buildings with claddings but were not plastered prior. It is a total waste of money to plaster a wall then install cladding on it.

In the same vein, why do people waste money on rough plaster when the tiles can easily stick to the block wall.

In my rented apartment, the kitchen tiles began to fall off the wall, they fell off with the mortar that was used to attach it to the wall still intact. The only reason the tile fell off was because the plaster had low binder/cement and so could not hold anything sticking to it. Why did the landlord waste his money on plaster only for it to become the reason for tiles falling off. If he didn't plaster, I guess the blocks would have held better.

I just thought of a way to test this. I will plaster a portion of a block wall then install a tile on the bare block wall and another on the plaster portion. Days later, I will check which needs more effort to remove. Of course, the quality of blocks will affect the tile on bare wall.
Re: Why Plaster A Wall That Will Be Tiled? by Mailthaddeus(m): 10:30pm On Aug 26, 2016
adanny01:

Recently, I have seen buildings with claddings but were not plastered prior. It is a total waste of money to plaster a wall then install cladding on it.

Remember, claddings don't stick to walls, it's rather fixed to walls. Fixing claddings directly to hollow block wall may not be a good idea, unless d hollows of those blocks are filled.

In the same vein, why do people waste money on rough plaster when the tiles can easily stick to the block wall.

remember the ratio of mix for plaster and blocks are different, blocks will fall of more than a roughly plastered wall. Do ur test and confirm.

I just thought of a way to test this. I will plaster a portion of a block wall then install a tile on the bare block wall and another on the plaster portion. Days later, I will check which needs more effort to remove. Of course, the quality of blocks will affect the tile on bare wall.

(1) (Reply)

Think SMART....Think IBEJU-LEKKI....Think LFTZ...Think TREMENDOUS PROFIT!!! / Alucobond (ACP) Cladding And Windows / Introducing Eagle Heights Garden Phase One,10mins From Lekki Expressway At N1.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.