Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? (18821 Views)

CBN To Launch N10 Billion Fund For Egg Production / Has Anyone Had Success Using Female Noilers For Egg Production? / Final Lap Of Cassava Farming For 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by dennisworld1(m): 6:21pm On Mar 08, 2016
bird lay everyday. Egg is now 40naira. Egg la sure. Caterers needs egg, bakeries always need.also me and u need. Do u know that they still import eggs

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Nv25(f): 6:22pm On Mar 08, 2016
Egg make senc pass meat,,,,,people eat egg everyday,,,,,,but meat get season of good sales...

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by theshaderoom: 6:25pm On Mar 08, 2016
Eggs

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by HAH: 6:27pm On Mar 08, 2016
Op egg is more profitable but to avoid hypertension buy point of lay chicken that you will start havesting egg in two weeks
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by IndianBwoy(m): 6:27pm On Mar 08, 2016
godwinkessi:
U people should stop killing animals. Why must u have a poultry when those animals should be living in the bush and dying when their time comes. We need animal control agency in Nigeria

I agree with you. Gods bless your stream of thought.

Its time we care for those who have no voice.

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by IndianBwoy(m): 6:29pm On Mar 08, 2016
Abbeyunique2:

Seriously?
if i could infer from the point above, You are saying that We should all be vegetarian. also that animals should be left till they reach senecent that they shld they naturally.

if all my inference above are correct, bro, You need to see the nearest doctor

My country is mostly vegetarian. I think it isnyou who needs to consult angynaecologist.
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by foxychev(m): 6:38pm On Mar 08, 2016
Both are equally profitable in the long term.
if you breed for meat you can turn over your capital four to five times a year, but it the con is you have to wait for a few months to make the money each time.
For eggs, you get daily income on sales, and a good stock will give you daily profits after you deduct money for the feed and other expenses.
But you need huge capital to start egg farming, the cages alone will amount to hundreds of thousands. NEVER breed layers without battery cages, they won't perform very well.
For broilers or cockerels, they do better on a wide floor range where they can move about.
To make your choice, think of the capital, layers need more start up capitals, though they give daily income (make sure your initial stock is not less than 16 weeks old, better if you get 20-22 weeks). Broilers need less start up capital, but you have to wait for them to grow, besides dealing with younglings require more attention and care.

2 Likes

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by TruthHurts1(m): 6:39pm On Mar 08, 2016
IndianBwoy:

I agree with you. Gods bless your stream of thought.

Its time we care for those who have no voice.

Really? So Hindus don't eat ANY sort of meat product?
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by uromicom: 6:42pm On Mar 08, 2016
one idiot will come and say buy my book
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by silkytouch(m): 6:45pm On Mar 08, 2016
Some farmers are into both individually and are making profit, but their choice is always inspired by experience which you dont have yet...

Here is what I think and I think it can guide you to ultimately make a choice.

Birds for meat
Those who are into this year round are either seasoned farmers who supply to fast food/retailers/consumers or seasonal farmers who only stock their farms for the festive periods (Xmas and Easter).
Farming for meat is only very profitable during these periods when birds are sold for as much as 3k per bird and it is not so capital intensive compared to farming for eggs since you harvest within 8-12 weeks and get your money back in bulk.
ON THE OTHER HAND

Birds for eggs
With the right knowledge, anyone can farm for eggs all year round because market for eggs is not seasonal like market for meat, once your birds start laying, sales start immediately and it is always hard to meet the demands of buyers no matter how big your farm is.

Though egg farming is capital intensive because you would have to feed the birds till they start laying which takes up to 5 months, but in the larger picture it is more profitable than meat farming because once your birds start laying, you have a money mill on your hands for the next 4-5 months.

A farm of 1500 birds has the capacity to give you eggs worth 40K daily, such as sweet thing really.

Finally my advice to you is, which ever one you finally decide to start with, i suggest you seek out someone who is into the business and gain practical knowledge, then start small, gain experience and confidence then grow into it.

Goodluck.

4 Likes

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by IndianBwoy(m): 6:52pm On Mar 08, 2016
TruthHurts1:

Really? So Hindus don't eat ANY sort of meat product?

Depends on the caste or tribe or religious cult etc.

But eitherways ..we consume less meat than non Hindus. Even as non vegetarians We dont eat meat everyday. Only twice a week or so.

And that too only poultry and fish. Goat is rare special occasion for non veg Hindus.
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Istyabbas(m): 7:03pm On Mar 08, 2016
After 2yrs of rearing broilers, this year I switched to layers because they are lucrative compare to broilers

2 Likes

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by flightz(f): 7:06pm On Mar 08, 2016
Eggs , I think
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by mekybabe1: 7:19pm On Mar 08, 2016
Kolo mental! Aro come and pick a patient here o!
godwinkessi:
U people should stop killing animals. Why must u have a poultry when those animals should be living in the bush and dying when their time comes. We need animal control agency in Nigeria
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by deejeet1: 7:31pm On Mar 08, 2016
godwinkessi:
so they eat chickens without killing them where there is animal control agency?
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by daddyfowl(m): 7:32pm On Mar 08, 2016
the both are more profitable depending on ur targetted market, capital, and experience.
CAPital.
it takes small capital to rare chick for meat and the turnover is within 6-8 weeks. while layers require much capital and lead period of 5 month. but once the egg turnover start spinnng in.... its endless until sale of d birds as old layers.
EXPerience
it doesnt require too much professional knowledge to rare chicks for meat while it rquire more dan basic knowledge to rare for egg.
MARket
there is everyday market for chicks for meat depending on ur targetted market just as for egg. more profit are experience in both sides during the festiv period.

my advice:
a farm is grown n not built. let ur capital not push u to misfire by starting very bIG.
dream big but start small. first develop a business plan(u can read abt dat online) with proper market research and grow ur biz with on the job experience.

my experience:
started with 250 broilers under d guidance of a vet but today... i have 4500 layers all on battery cage. n 1000 broilers. and i do all my vaccination myself.
so enjoy starting wit me jeri

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by daddyfowl(m): 7:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
the both are more profitable depending on ur targetted market, capital, and experience.
CAPital.
it takes small capital to rare chick for meat and the turnover is within 6-8 weeks. while layers require much capital and lead period of 5 month. but once the egg turnover start spinnng in.... its endless until sale of d birds as old layers.
EXPerience
it doesnt require too much professional knowledge to rare chicks for meat while it rquire more dan basic knowledge to rare for egg.
MARket
there is everyday market for chicks for meat depending on ur targetted market just as for egg. more profit are experience in both sides during the festiv period.

my advice:
a farm is grown n not built. let ur capital not push u to misfire by starting very bIG.
dream big but start small. first develop a business plan(u can read abt dat online) with proper market research and grow ur biz with on the job experience.

my experience:
started with 250 broilers under d guidance of a vet but today... i have 4500 layers all on battery cage. n 1000 broilers. and i do all my vaccination myself.
so enjoy starting small jeri

3 Likes

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 08, 2016
godwinkessi:
See how a human being thinks, I guess you don't know the meaning of poultry

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 08, 2016
CARLOSZ:
Good day everyone.

I recently want to go into agro business (poultry farming) for the sole purpose of making profits and by God's grace, I have a sizable capital.

The question now is, [b]do I go into poultry farming for meat production or do I go into poultry farming for egg production?[/b

Op if you have the capital i suggest you do both layers and broilers for meat. The reason is while you wait for your layers to start laying you must have raised broilers ready for sale. Your layers takes nothing less than 20 weeks before they start dropping. You also have to feed them right to get the desired output, it dosent mean you wont feed the broiler well too, eggs are profitable, but brioiler brings in short term quick income to even support your layers feeding

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by deejeet1: 7:42pm On Mar 08, 2016
I prefer poultry for meat production though both are very lucrative. The ideology that meat production market is seasonal is wrong. There are lots of poultry meat processing company springing up and you can as well negotiate a deal with eateries around you.
The capital required for egg production is relatively high. In conclusion, I'll suggest you go into both so you can make use of the returns from the meat production to feed the pullets before they start laying. Good luck!
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by brownvic: 7:51pm On Mar 08, 2016
godwinkessi:
grin
godwinkessi:
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by larrypourl(m): 7:55pm On Mar 08, 2016
You're right girl. Go for Egg my guy, that's what am presently into now and once they're done laying you will also sell them off during festive periods, Christmas precisely, for resellers you give them for #1000 each and the final consumer for #1300-1500. So you don't loose at all. You'll make more on eggs and make more when selling the birds off. Poultry is interesting when you apply hygiene.

OneNigeria1960:
Op, I think poultry is for the two purpose. Rear them for eggs and when they're tired and worn out from laying, you sell them out for meat. Goodluck.
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by BABANGBALI: 8:00pm On Mar 08, 2016
Omo na egg o

Breaking news!!! Breaking news.... President Buhari was in a meeting with all the governors, senators, MHR, FEC,NNPC directors and all fuel importers when the news came that central bank was being robbed...he said how is that possible when all the thieves are seated here with me?
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by billtommy(m): 8:18pm On Mar 08, 2016
daddyfowl:
CAPital.
EXPerience
MARket

my advice:

my experience:
so enjoy starting small jeri

Daddyfowl, pls where's your farm located? Would love to pay a visit.

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Zieristclair(m): 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2016
CARLOSZ:
Good day everyone.

I recently want to go into agro business (poultry farming) for the sole purpose of making profits and by God's grace, I have a sizable capital.

The question now is, do I go into poultry farming for meat production or do I go into poultry farming for egg production?

I want the one that's more profitable that's why I need the advice from experienced people here.

I await your contributions. ;Dgo into it for feather and shit production,i bet you that is the most profitable and all you need is some drums and pillowcases.
thank me later. grin grin

Pls Mods, move to the front page so I can get the much needed assistance, thanks in anticipation.

Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by larrypourl(m): 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2016
chinchum:
layers for egg. you can start by buying point of lay birds from recognised farm(s)

It's too expensive bro. Point of lay goes for #1000 while point of cage goes for #850
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Zieristclair(m): 8:20pm On Mar 08, 2016
CARLOSZ:
Good day everyone.

The question now is, do I go into poultry farming for meat production or do I go into poultry farming for egg production?

I want the one that's more profitable that's why I need the advice from experienced people here.

I await your contributions.

Pls Mods, move to the front page so I can get the much needed assistance, thanks in anticipation.

grin go into it for feather and shit production,i bet you that is the most profitable and all you need is some drums and pillowcases.
thank me later. grin grin
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Dollyp101: 8:24pm On Mar 08, 2016
For daily income: Egg is profitable after 12 months you can sell off as old layers but for quarterly or every 6-8 weeks broilers are very profitable , then others cock, turkey and others from experience.
Re: Poultry Farming, For Meat Or For Egg? by Aizenosa(m): 8:24pm On Mar 08, 2016
Actually u can

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See Contribution Of Agricultural Sector To Nigeria's GDP From 2008-2017 / Fraudulent FGN Agricultural Loan Website It Is / Nigerian States And Their Agricultural Produce.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.