Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

What's Your Favorite Name For God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's Your Favorite Name For God? (21176 Views)

What Is Your Favorite Name/title For GOD / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / Your Top 5 Indigenous Gospel Musicians And Your Favorite Tracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 12:54pm On Jul 18, 2009
Many favorite names heard. As for me, He is the "Lord of Hosts."
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Tudor6(f): 1:04pm On Jul 18, 2009
Lord of the Flies.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 18, 2009
El Shaddai means "Lord Most High". I think it's the most complete name of God.

Tudór:

Lord of the Flies.

Lord of the Flies is Beelzebub, a demon.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Lady2(f): 8:34pm On Jul 18, 2009
The "I AM THAT I AM"

It explains God fully. God IS.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Recognise: 8:47pm On Jul 18, 2009
hubreality:

Many favorite names heard.

As for me, He is the "Lord of Hosts."

@OP

Mine is Abba . . .

Yeah! thats my pet and/or fav name for Him 'cos He's special . . .

and moreover it encapsulates our relationship
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 9:28am On Jul 19, 2009
Oka-akah, nwanne otuonye.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Recognise: 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2009
Hubreality:

Oka-akah, nwanne otuonye.

"Oka-akah, nwanne otuonye"

Oka: Champion or greater than

Akah: The preserver of all the worlds;

Nwanne: Brother or Sister

Otuonye: One person

@Hubreality

- Hubreality

If you can do better,

then translate or provide the literal meaning  wink
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Tudor6(f): 3:21pm On Jul 19, 2009
No2Atheism's favorite name for his black jesus is
Nigga J. . .
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 4:02pm On Jul 19, 2009
The God of Elijah. To Whom nothing is impossible.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by donnie(m): 5:38pm On Jul 19, 2009
Well, i dont really have any favourite, bc at certain times and at certain periods or occassions, i could be inspired through the Spirit by certain of his names.

For example, i remember a certain time on my job when i didnt seem to be working in favour with my boss. In fact, it seemed as though he had set himself against me. I remember ministering to God when a song came to my heart:

'God of Elijah, Isaac and Jacob, Jehovah the man of War(x2)'

I recieved wisdom on how to work with him and not too long after, commendation from his superiors and an award for outstanding performance.

Recently, one of my immediate boss was going about taking glory for work done by me, and directing all the blame for any mistake at me in the presence of one of our bosses who visited our region. He did it over and over until i cried unto this same Jehovah and i recieved Phronesis on how to deal with the situation. I was heading for a meeting when all of a sudden the words, EXPOSE THEM! bursted out of my mouth. The annointing immidiately came on me and i had the dominion. By the end of that meeting, it was all settled, the crooked were exposed, we achieved great successs and God was glorified.

Many times too i love to recognize him as the Holy Ghost, Christ in me, my comforter and my very present help in time of need.

More recently though, over the past few weeks, i have been praising Jehovah Jireh, the God that provides. The God of Kulele, moni, kudi, owo wink

He is teaching me His wisdom everyday and has shown me a glimpse of the amount of the amount of wealth he will deliver into my hands. I'm excited!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 5:55pm On Jul 19, 2009
Congratulations Donnie! Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.
"The Mighty God"
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by kalauta: 6:07pm On Jul 19, 2009
Mine is OLORUN:OBA AWON OBA (Almighty King of all Kings).
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 8:39am On Jul 20, 2009
"LORD OF MERCY"
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Tudor6(f): 9:14am On Jul 20, 2009
"LORD OF AJASA"
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 7:46pm On Jul 20, 2009
Unending favorite names for my Lord of Hosts as I'm inspired. "Igwekala, Omenma - Chukwukadibia."
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 20, 2009
Father
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 8:06am On Jul 21, 2009
"Extra ordinary Strategist"
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by netotse(m): 9:20am On Jul 21, 2009
the God of my salvation, cos i know if it was left to me there's no way i woulda become a christian!
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 10:40am On Jul 21, 2009
Merciful - Chiobioma.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by banom(m): 12:30pm On Jul 21, 2009
God of Tudor, Hexley, Huxle2,Horus,Bindex, Okija-JuJu and Banom.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Fostercat(m): 1:47pm On Jul 21, 2009
The "I AM THAT I AM"

It explains God fully. God IS.
This is just my favourite at all times grin
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 1:53pm On Jul 21, 2009
"I am that I am"
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 1:54pm On Jul 21, 2009
"I am that I am"
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2009
"Jehovah Jireh," my provider.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by Fhemmmy: 11:47pm On Jul 21, 2009
Jehovah jireh
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by macIB(m): 12:23am On Jul 22, 2009
olodumare
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by BlackRevo: 1:03am On Jul 22, 2009
The lord of all lords.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by SoWhat77(f): 2:14am On Jul 22, 2009
Christians and the Name
NO ONE can say for sure exactly when orthodox Jews ceased to pronounce God's name out loud and instead substituted the Hebrew words for God and Sovereign Lord. Some believe that God's name passed out of everyday use well before Jesus' time. But there is strong evidence that the high priest continued to pronounce it at religious services at the temple—particularly on the day of Atonement—right up until the temple was destroyed in 70 C.E. Hence, when Jesus was on earth, the pronunciation of the name was known, although perhaps it was not widely used.

Why did the Jews cease to pronounce God's name? Probably, at least in part, because of misapplying the words of the third commandment: "You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way." (Exodus 20:7) Of course, this commandment did not prohibit the use of God's name. Otherwise, why did God's ancient servants such as David use it so freely and still enjoy Jehovah's blessing? And why did God pronounce it to Moses and tell Moses to explain to the Israelites who it was that had sent him?—Psalm 18:1-3, 6, 13; Exodus 6:2-8.

Nevertheless, by Jesus' time there was a strong tendency to take the reasonable commands of God and interpret them in a highly unreasonable way. For example, the fourth of the Ten Commandments obligated the Jews to observe the seventh day of each week as a day of rest, a Sabbath. (Exodus 20:8-11) Orthodox Jews took that command to ridiculous lengths, making innumerable rules to govern even the smallest act that could or could not be done on the Sabbath. It was doubtless in the same spirit that they took a reasonable command, that God's name must not be dishonored, to a most unreasonable extreme, saying that the name should not even be pronounced.*

Jesus and the Name
Would Jesus have followed such an unscriptural tradition? Hardly! He certainly did not hold back from doing works of healing on the Sabbath, even though this meant breaking the man-made rules of the Jews and even risking his life. (Matthew 12:9-14) In fact, Jesus condemned the Pharisees as hypocrites because their traditions went beyond God's inspired Word. (Matthew 15:1-9) Hence, it is unlikely that he would have held back from pronouncing God's name, especially in view of the fact that his own name, Jesus, meant "Jehovah is Salvation."

On one occasion, Jesus stood up in a synagogue and read a portion of the scroll of Isaiah. The section he read was what we today call Isaiah 61:1, 2, where God's name appears more than once. (Luke 4:16-21) Would he have refused to pronounce the divine name there, substituting "Lord" or "God"? Of course not. That would have meant following the unscriptural tradition of the Jewish religious leaders. Rather, we read: "He was teaching them as a person having authority, and not as their scribes."—Matthew 7:29.

As this 1805 German translation of the Bible indicates, when Jesus read in the synagogue from the scroll of Isaiah, he pronounced God's name out loud.—Luke 4:18, 19

In fact, as we learned earlier, he taught his followers to pray to God: "Let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) And in prayer on the night before his execution, he said to his Father: "I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world . . . Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me."—John 17:6, 11.

Regarding these references by Jesus to God's name, the book Der Name Gottes (The Name of God) explains, on page 76: "We must appreciate the astonishing fact that the traditional Old Testament understanding of God's revelation is that it is a revelation of his name and that this is carried on through to the final parts of the Old Testament, yes, continues even into the last parts of the New Testament, where, for example at John 17:6, we read: 'I have made your name manifest.'"

Yes, it would be most unreasonable to think that Jesus held back from using God's name, especially when he quoted from those portions of the Hebrew Scriptures that contained it.

The Early Christians
Did Jesus' followers in the first century use God's name? They had been commanded by Jesus to make disciples of people of all nations. (Matthew 28:19, 20) Many of the people to be preached to had no conception of the God who had revealed himself to the Jews by the name Jehovah. How would the Christians be able to identify the true God to them? Would it be enough to call him God or Lord? No. The nations had their own gods and lords. (1 Corinthians 8:5) How could the Christians have made a clear difference between the true God and the false ones? Only by using the true God's name.

Peter and Paul used God's name when they quoted from Joel's prophecy.—Acts 2:21; Romans 10:13

Thus, the disciple James remarked during a conference of the elders at Jerusalem: "Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. And with this the words of the Prophets agree." (Acts 15:14, 15) The apostle Peter, in his well-known speech at Pentecost, pointed out a vital part of the Christian message when he quoted the words of the prophet Joel: "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe."—Joel 2:32; Acts 2:21.

The apostle Paul leaves no doubt about the importance to him of God's name. In his letter to the Romans, he quotes the same words by the prophet Joel and goes on to encourage fellow Christians to show their faith in that statement by going out to preach about God's name to others in order that these, too, might be saved. (Romans 10:13-15) Later he wrote in his letter to Timothy: "Let everyone naming the name of Jehovah renounce unrighteousness." (2 Timothy 2:19) At the end of the first century, the apostle John used the divine name in his writings. The expression "Hallelujah," meaning "Praise Jah," appears repeatedly in the book of Revelation.—Revelation 19:1, 3, 4, 6.

However, Jesus and his followers had prophesied that an apostasy would occur in the Christian congregation. The apostle Peter had written: "There will also be false teachers among you." (2 Peter 2:1; see also Matthew 13:36-43; Acts 20:29, 30; 2 Thessalonians 2:3; 1 John 2:18, 19.) These warnings were fulfilled. One result was that God's name was pushed into the background. It even got removed from copies and translations of the Bible! Let us see how that happened.

* Some suggest another reason: The Jews may have been influenced by Greek philosophy. For example, Philo, a Jewish philosopher of Alexandria who was approximately contemporary with Jesus, was greatly influenced by the Greek philosopher Plato, who he thought was divinely inspired. The Lexikon des Judentums (Lexicon of Judaism), under "Philo," states that Philo "united the language and ideas of Greek philosophy (Plato) with the revealed faith of the Jews" and that to begin with he "had a visible effect upon the Christian church fathers." Philo taught that God was indefinable and, hence, unnameable.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by SoWhat77(f): 2:15am On Jul 22, 2009
God's Name and Bible Translators
EARLY in the second century, after the last of the apostles had died, the falling away from the Christian faith foretold by Jesus and his followers began in earnest. Pagan philosophies and doctrines infiltrated the congregation; sects and divisions arose, and the original purity of faith was corrupted. And God's name ceased to be used.

As this apostate Christianity spread, the need arose to translate the Bible from its original Hebrew and Greek into other languages. How did the translators render God's name in their translations? Usually, they used the equivalent of "Lord." A very influential version of that time was the Latin Vulgate, a translation of the Bible by Jerome into everyday Latin. Jerome rendered the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) by substituting Dominus, "Lord."

Eventually, new languages, such as French, English and Spanish, began to emerge in Europe. However, the Catholic Church discouraged the translating of the Bible into these new languages. Thus, while Jews, using the Bible in the original Hebrew language, refused to pronounce God's name when they saw it, most "Christians" heard the Bible read in Latin translations that did not use the name.

In time, God's name came back into use. In 1278 it appeared in Latin in the work Pugio fidei (Dagger of Faith), by Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk. Raymundus Martini used the spelling Yohoua.* Soon after, in 1303, Porchetus de Salvaticis completed a work entitled Victoria Porcheti adversus impios Hebraeos (Porchetus' Victory Against the Ungodly Hebrews). In this he, too, mentioned God's name, spelling it variously Iohouah, Iohoua and Ihouah. Then, in 1518, Petrus Galatinus published a work entitled De arcanis catholicae veritatis (Concerning Secrets of the Universal Truth) in which he spells God's name Iehoua.

The translators of the Authorized Version preserved God's name, Jehovah, in only four verses, substituting GOD and LORD everywhere else

The name first appeared in an English Bible in 1530, when William Tyndale published a translation of the first five books of the Bible. In this he included the name of God, usually spelled Iehouah, in several verses,# and in a note in this edition he wrote: "Iehovah is God's name . . . Moreover as oft as thou seist LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing) it is in Hebrew Iehovah." From this the practice arose of using Jehovah's name in just a few verses and writing "LORD" or "GOD" in most other places where the Tetragrammaton occurs in the Hebrew text.

In 1611 what became the most widely used English translation, the Authorized Version, was published. In this, the name appeared four times in the main text. (Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4) "Jah," a poetic abbreviation of the name, appeared in Psalm 68:4. And the name appeared in full in place-names such as "Jehovah-jireh." (Genesis 22:14; Exodus 17:15; Judges 6:24) However, following the example of Tyndale, the translators in most instances substituted "LORD" or "GOD" for God's name. But if God's name could appear in four verses, why could it not appear in all the other thousands of verses that contain it in the original Hebrew?

Something similar was happening in the German language. In 1534 Martin Luther published his complete translation of the Bible, which he based on the original languages. For some reason he did not include the name of God but used substitutes, such as HERR ("LORD"wink. However, he was aware of the divine name, since in a sermon on Jeremiah 23:1-8, which he delivered in 1526, he said: "This name Jehovah, Lord, belongs exclusively to the true God."

In 1543 Luther wrote with characteristic frankness: "That they [the Jews] now allege the name Jehovah to be unpronounceable, they do not know what they are talking about . . . If it can be written with pen and ink, why should it not be spoken, which is much better than being written with pen and ink? Why do they not also call it unwriteable, unreadable or unthinkable? All things considered, there is something foul." Nevertheless, Luther had not rectified matters in his translation of the Bible. In later years, however, other German Bibles did contain the name in the text of Exodus 6:3.

In succeeding centuries, Bible translators went in one of two directions. Some avoided any use of God's name, while others used it extensively in the Hebrew Scriptures, either in the form Jehovah or in the form Yahweh. Let us consider two translations that avoided the name and see why, according to their translators, this was done.

Why They Left It Out
When J. M. Powis Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed produced a modern translation of the Bible in 1935, readers found that LORD and GOD had been used in most places as a substitution for God's name. The reason was explained in a preface: "In this translation we have followed the orthodox Jewish tradition and substituted 'the Lord' for the name 'Yahweh' and the phrase 'the Lord God' for the phrase 'the Lord Yahweh.' In all cases where 'Lord' or 'God' represents an original 'Yahweh' small capitals are employed."

Then, in an unusual reversal of the tradition of the Jews who read YHWH but pronounced it "Lord," the preface says: "Anyone, therefore, who desires to retain the flavor of the original text has but to read 'Yahweh' wherever he sees LORD or GOD"!

On reading this, the question immediately comes to mind: If reading "Yahweh" instead of "LORD" retains the "flavor of the original text," why did the translators not use "Yahweh" in their translation? Why did they, in their own word, 'substitute' the word "LORD" for God's name and thus mask the flavor of the original text?

The translators say that they were following orthodox Jewish tradition. Yet is that wise for a Christian? Remember, it was the Pharisees, the preservers of orthodox Jewish tradition, who rejected Jesus and were told by him: "You have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition." (Matthew 15:6) Such substitution truly weakens the Word of God.

In 1952 the Revised Standard Version of the Hebrew Scriptures was published in English, and this Bible, too, used substitutions for God's name. This was noteworthy because the original American Standard Version, of which this was a revision, used the name Jehovah all through the Hebrew Scriptures. Hence, the omission of the name was an outstanding departure. Why was it done?

In the preface to the Revised Standard Version, we read: "For two reasons the Committee has returned to the more familiar usage of the King James Version [that is, omitting the name of God]: (1) the word 'Jehovah' does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew; and (2) the use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom he had to be distinguished, was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church."

Are these sound arguments? Well, as discussed earlier, the name Jesus does not accurately represent the original form of the name of God's Son used by his followers. Yet this did not persuade the Committee to avoid using that name and to use instead a title such as "Mediator" or "Christ." True, these titles are used, but in addition to the name Jesus, not instead of it.

As to the argument that there are no other gods from whom the true God had to be differentiated, that is simply not true. There are millions of gods worshiped by mankind. The apostle Paul noted: "There are many 'gods.'" (1 Corinthians 8:5; Philippians 3:19) Of course, there is only one true God, as Paul goes on to say. Hence, one great advantage of using the name of the true God is that it keeps him separate from all the false gods. Besides, if using the name of God is "entirely inappropriate," why does it appear almost 7,000 times in the original Hebrew Scriptures?

The truth is, many translators have not felt that the name, with its modern pronunciation, is out of place in the Bible. They have included it in their versions, and the result has always been a translation that gives more honor to the Bible's Author and hews more faithfully to the original text. Some widely used versions that include the name are the Valera translation (Spanish, published in 1602), the Almeida version (Portuguese, published in 1681), the original Elberfelder version (German, published in 1871), as well as the American Standard Version (English, published in 1901). Some translations, notably The Jerusalem Bible, also consistently use God's name but with the spelling Yahweh.

Read now the comments of some translators who included the name in their translations and compare their reasoning with that of those who omitted the name.

Why Others Include the Name
Here is the comment of the translators of the American Standard Version of 1901: "[The translators] were brought to the unanimous conviction that a Jewish superstition, which regarded the Divine Name as too sacred to be uttered, ought no longer to dominate in the English or any other version of the Old Testament . . . This Memorial Name, explained in Ex. iii. 14, 15, and emphasized as such over and over in the original text of the Old Testament, designates God as the personal God, as the covenant God, the God of revelation, the Deliverer, the Friend of his people . . . This personal name, with its wealth of sacred associations, is now restored to the place in the sacred text to which it has an unquestionable claim."

If using the name of God is "entirely inappropriate," why does it appear almost 7,000 times in the original Hebrew text?

Similarly, in the preface to the original German Elberfelder Bibel we read: "Jehova. We have retained this name of the Covenant God of Israel because the reader has been accustomed to it for years."

Steven T. Byington, translator of The Bible in Living English, explains why he uses God's name: "The spelling and the pronunciation are not highly important. What is highly important is to keep it clear that this is a personal name. There are several texts that cannot be properly understood if we translate this name by a common noun like 'Lord,' or, much worse, by a substantivized adjective [for example, the Eternal]."

The case of another translation, by J. B. Rotherham, is interesting. He used God's name in his translation but preferred the form Yahweh. However, in a later work, Studies in the Psalms, published in 1911, he returned to the form Jehovah. Why? He explains: "JEHOVAH.—The employment of this English form of the Memorial name (Exo. 3:18) in the present version of the Psalter does not arise from any misgiving as to the more correct pronunciation, as being Yahwéh; but solely from practical evidence personally selected of the desirability of keeping in touch with the public ear and eye in a matter of this kind, in which the principal thing is the easy recognition of the Divine name intended."

In Psalm 34:3 worshipers of Jehovah are exhorted: "O magnify Jehovah with me, you people, and let us exalt his name together." How can readers of Bible translations that omit God's name respond fully to that exhortation? Christians are happy that at least some translators have had the courage to include God's name in their renderings of the Hebrew Scriptures, and thus preserve what Smith and Goodspeed call the "flavor of the original text."

However, most translations, even when they include God's name in the Hebrew Scriptures, omit it from the Christian Greek Scriptures, the "New Testament." What is the reason for this? Is there any justification for including God's name in this last portion of the Bible?

* Printings of this work dated some centuries later, however, have the divine name spelled Jehova.
# Genesis 15:2; Exodus 6:3; 15:3; 17:16; 23:17; 33:19; 34:23; Deuteronomy 3:24. Tyndale also included God's name in Ezekiel 18:23 and 36:23, in his translations that were added at the end of The New Testament, Antwerp, 1534.
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by sley4life(m): 6:26am On Jul 22, 2009
Alpha & omega
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 12:42pm On Jul 22, 2009
"Lord of Hosts"
Re: What's Your Favorite Name For God? by hubreality(m): 7:48pm On Jul 22, 2009
"BABA"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mary Is Not The Mother Of God / Presidential Election Now A Spiritual Battle – Pastor Enenche / Reasons Our Prayers Are Not Answered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.