Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,271 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities (36882 Views)

Faith Onyekachukwu Ojumah, McPherson University Best Graduating Student (Photo) / John Paul Nwaezeigwe Graduates With First Class From A Univesity In Canada. PICS / 4 Universities Approved To Run E-learning Degree Programmes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Adwexky(m): 8:07am On Mar 12, 2016
CONGRATULATIONS...

#DON'T GIVE UP.

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by SycophanticGoat: 8:08am On Mar 12, 2016
Rijes:

they are coming better wear a bashing helmet

LoL! I'm used to it bro... grin cheesy
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by respectkings: 8:09am On Mar 12, 2016
#Kudos 4 her# ah gatz ur back...##

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Nobody: 8:13am On Mar 12, 2016
ObiOmaMu:
A young Nigerian lady, Mrs. Oluwamayo Ojumah has translated her 16-year old personal misfortunes into a success story.

After spending 16 years in pursuit of a university degree at four different universities within and outside Nigeria, she finally emerged with a First Class degree in Biochemistry at the University of Lagos.

Interestingly, making a First Class degree, did not come accidental to her, it was a decision taken
after several failed attempts at studying medicine and under the care of her pastor father, Mr. Johnson Ajibade, and her husband, Mr. Felix Ojumah, who is a Petroleum Engineer.

Feeling Saturday Vanguard in on the experience that saw her going from Ago Iwoye, United Kingdom, Okada, Lagos and nearly to Saint Kitts in the Americas for a university degree that was largely elusive for 16 years, she exclaimed;
‘’I am still in shock.”
Continuing, the obviously excited Ojumah, who recently had her convocation at the University of Lagos, UNILAG, flashed back recalling how her wasted years in pursuit of the degree paid off with a Cumulative Grade Point Average ,CGPA, of 4.51. Expounding this at her home in Lagos, she said:
‘’I left secondary school in 2004 and in that same year I got admission into Olabisi Onabanjo University ,OOU, for Applied Zoology and the agreement was that if I performed well they were going to transfer me to Medicine.
I had wanted to study Medicine. I didn’t really get the scope of the course, so I was not doing well. I think I left in 200 levels. So my parents said I should go abroad and study Medicine. Unfortunately it was quite expensive and I didn’t want to get them into those strains of providing that kind of finance every year. So, we reached an agreement to come back home and go to Igbinedion University, Okada. That was in 2009.
I went to the UK and came back. In the UK they were not ready to admit me to read Medicine. I needed to do a lot of courses before and then thinking about the financial implications I had to come back home. Since Igbenedion was better and they said they were going to allow me read Medicine, I came back home.
So, when I got to Igbenedion I was admitted into 200 levels with my transcript from OOU. I did 200 levels and 300 levels but at the level of my MB, I failed two courses, I passed Biochemistry and failed Anatomy and Physiology. By the time I did my resit, I think I failed Anatomy and failed physiology.
Ordinarily, many would opt out at this time, but Ojumah embraced the options that came her way.
‘’The option was either to repeat the class, take a transcript and go abroad either to Ukraine or to Saint Kits in the Americas,” she stated.
Considering that it would be less burdensome financially for her comfortable parents, she opted to go to Saint Kitts, an Island in the Americas formerly known as Saint Christopher.

‘’It was not as expensive like going to the UK. And just within that period while processing the passport; I had a little problem with immigration. It took a little while. Unfortunately, by the time I got my passport, the border had been closed. Unfortunately, my mother passed away in March 2011 and I couldn’t go abroad any more.

They wanted me to go and I told them that it did not make sense going abroad again. The only option was to go to University of Lagos. Now that was the fourth time of starting all over again and I did not want to sit for JAMB. The only option was to do the foundation programme from 2011 to 2012 after which I took Direct Entry into 200 levels.”

Narrating her experience at UNILAG, she said the disposition of her lecturers and students towards her were not outside the ordinary.
The Biochemistry lecturers of the University of Lagos are okay. They gave their best. At least I have been to other institutions and know the kind of things other students go through. My supervisor Dr. Lawal was supportive. The day I knew he was proud of me was the day he said I was graduating with a First Class. And when they discovered that I was married, I had a better relationship,” she added.

Asked if there were exceptional methods applied to achieve the feat, she said:

I didn’t just depend on class notes. I used Youtube and downloaded most things that had been taught from Youtube and I read a lot. I can read from 8pm to 6am. My husband was also supportive because I used to watch movies a lot but he ensured that I did not fail to read because of movies.

He would wake me up at night and even sometimes compel me to read. I read a lot, prayed a lot. In fact, I prayed like I was not reading and read like I was not reading. I am still in shock.

The summary of it all is that God saw me through. I think God just wanted to honour me. I did a lot of work. People are talking about me that I came out with a First Class after all I have been through. It feels great. I already knew I was going to get First Class in October when the results came out. I think I have been in shock until the day of graduation. I just don’t believe that this is me. I am not a genius. Some think I read a lot. People don’t remember my past stories, but I have a cause to thank God.”

On his part, her husband, Mr.Ojumah, explained that he ensured she didn’t lose sight of the fact that getting a First Class was a project.
It is actually great. For me it is like a dream come true. After we got married, my father in-law told me that I should make sure she comes out with a First Class. I called her to ask what it will take to get that. Looking at it, I just felt it is possible, that is why each time she comes to say she was tired I will tell her she is wasting her time.

I know there had been times when she felt we should drop the idea of First Class and settle for a 2.1 but I felt she was wasting her time. That is why I had to stop her from watching movie. Even when I will be watching a movie by the time she comes back I will stop. I felt we had a goal and must meet that goal.

One of the easiest ways to get to our goal was to stay focused. During examinations, I often told her to relax while I do the cooking. For me, it is like a dream come true. I never knew that people will find it inspiring because to so many it is like a challenge that having gone through all these, a married woman came out with a First Class.

We are happy that people, who feel that they can’t make it would find it encouraging. I just want to bless God for being there for us. The lesson for people is to stay focused and remain determined in spite of difficulties. Sometimes I had to keep her awake just to read not because I had examination to sit for. There is need for people to utilise any opportunity at their disposal to actualise their goal.”

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/03/married-woman-makes-first-class-from.html

If you left secondary school in 2004 how is it that you've spent 16 years in 4 universities ? were you in uni while in secondary school ?
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by dariseni: 8:17am On Mar 12, 2016
[quote author=SycophanticGoat post=43697339]Work hard in unilag and you'll definitely make a first class. smiley wink

Except of cuz you're a dullard like our president... undecided undecided[/q
Mr man u sabi boo reach mr president abi wetin u dey talk sef
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Jamean(f): 8:17am On Mar 12, 2016
How is 2004 to 2016 16years. Na wa! Iced story
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Mekyno(m): 8:17am On Mar 12, 2016
Congrats to her bt she finished sec sch in 2004, so 11/12 yrs (not 16yrs) would hv bn more accurate.
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by omonla555: 8:19am On Mar 12, 2016
The woman must be a member of MFM. Read as if there is no GOD and pray to GOD as if you have not read anything.
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by SycophanticGoat: 8:19am On Mar 12, 2016
dariseni:
Mr man u sabi boo reach mr president abi wetin u dey talk sef

The president is the dullest human ever liveth. He wouldn't dare make a grade close to mine in school.. cool
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Drabrah(m): 8:21am On Mar 12, 2016
iAmCharis:
After spending 16 years in 4 Universities, it's only expected for her to be used to the system and scheme of work. Nothing other than a first class should be required of her.

Congrats to her though. grin grin

Pray u never get a situation dat gets u depressed & demoralised. Dat's d only way u can understand the fact that she actually "Stooped to Conquer"

My calculation says 12yrs though, not 16.

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Gerrard59(m): 8:26am On Mar 12, 2016
Congratulations to the woman. I feel inspired and further motivated. Goes to show that: Determination + Perseverance = Success.

baebae:
I just hope that she gets a good job so that her efforts would not be wasted. because without connections in nigeria first class is nothing.... this is really sad

I'm sure this is what you use to discourage hardworking and intelligent students from achieving their goals. Let me inform you, there're companies that employ any individual without connections or whatever as long as you're good.
With a First Class degree, you can become anything you want, and yes, in Nigeria.

Students should aim very high and come out with good grades and the sky will be their starting point. This woman can aspire to become a lecturer/researcher if she desires and this and many more can be done without connections.

Connection ko, Bluetooth ni.

2 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 12, 2016
congrats madam
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Kylekent59: 8:32am On Mar 12, 2016
Still waiting for a prostitute that made first class.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by orisunmibare01(m): 8:36am On Mar 12, 2016
You get money naah... Go USA, go UK, go igbenedion, go unilag again! People like us can't afford to fail at all! shocked grin
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by manyr4luv: 8:39am On Mar 12, 2016
datola:
Congratulations madam and the tutorial master husband.

But this first class degree of an achievement is overrated in Nigeria.

In developed world people less care whether you scored first or second class.
NIGERIA IS CLASS DRUNK!!! THAT IS WHY WE ARE NOT DEVELOPING!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by anthonyirekpita(m): 8:39am On Mar 12, 2016
She finish what she Started wit a good determination ad end up well, bravo 2 her.

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Mackson01: 8:41am On Mar 12, 2016
Courageous. Congrat
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Ariani: 8:42am On Mar 12, 2016
Goes to show you how difficult it is to pass through medical school.

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Michizzy(f): 8:55am On Mar 12, 2016
iAmCharis:
After spending 16 years in 4 Universities, it's only expected for her to be used to the system and scheme of work. Nothing other than a first class should be required of her.

Congrats to her though. grin grin
Exactly my thought.
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by musablinkz: 9:03am On Mar 12, 2016
Its an inspiring story
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Jdesilentkiller(m): 9:08am On Mar 12, 2016
This story get K-leg, after 16/12 yrs she got first class in a course she didn't applied for. You went to four (4) universities, you must be extra large stewpit.....first class in Biochemistry not Medicine....after all these years......madam! You get money!!!
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by femijohn21(m): 9:09am On Mar 12, 2016
Thank God for you. Though, according to the story narrated you came from a rich family and there is ever read sponsor to finance you. I also thank God despite no sponsor after i had finished my secondary sch since 1997, i just completed my degree last year, though not with first class but 2.1 . My own case is from Yabatech to Ambrose Ali and finally to Lasu. Also i was able to train my young er sister to the point of acquiring ND and the youngest just finished from secondary with good grade. All glory to God.

The good God is still at is work for whoever that will not waver, believe in yourself and you will surely get there.

2 Likes

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by DTOBS(m): 9:13am On Mar 12, 2016
OK! Nice one

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Wabiaezoba(m): 9:16am On Mar 12, 2016
emeka2847:
After failing to read Medicine!

Tomorrow she'll find her way to the hospital and begin to use JOHESU to equate her qualification to Medicine. I pity Nigeria.

But congrats for this powerful feat.
And what is a Biochemist doing in the Hospital?
Is she a physiotherapist,Pharmacist,Radiographer,Nurse or a Medical Lab Scientist?
Stop deceiving the Masses!!!

1 Like

Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by afroxyz: 9:28am On Mar 12, 2016
She left secondary school in 2004, this is 2016, how the hell did she spend 16 years in university? Anyway, kudos to her
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by 36STATES: 9:31am On Mar 12, 2016
Where I studied, first class is given only to exceptional brains who finish their program within the normal time, not those that took extra 10 years.
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by queenaisha(f): 9:34am On Mar 12, 2016
WTH?..16years my God *speechless*
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by uvalued(m): 9:40am On Mar 12, 2016
Akkord4gov:
This woman turned all the disappointment to blessing. I keep saying,no excuse for failure. Someone there yesterday said he failed because of his relationship with a girl(Florence) grin grin

thanks if her own na years, and she finally made it, then i dont have excuse to lament over my "toy" that got damaged... thanks
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by kay29000(m): 9:40am On Mar 12, 2016
How could she have spent 16years in different universities when she left secondary school in 2004 (12 years ago)? Where there some hidden years between 2004 and now that I don't know of? This us not mortal kombat o! This is real life.
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by favourmic(m): 9:42am On Mar 12, 2016
He would wake me up at night and even sometimes compel me to read. I read a lot, prayed a lot. In fact, I prayed like I was not reading and read like I was not reading. I am still in shock.

The only lesson I learnt from her is pray a lot and read a lot God bless you
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by PasNina(m): 9:46am On Mar 12, 2016
Fiwasayo:
Waiting for her to trend like Olajumoke# cool
Abi.... lol
Re: Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities by Bamz(m): 9:48am On Mar 12, 2016
Akkord4gov:
This woman turned all the disappointment to blessing. I keep saying,no excuse for failure. Someone there yesterday said he failed because of his relationship with a girl(Florence) grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Free Exam Portal Answer For WAEC,NECO, NABTEB &JAMB / Dr. Bukola Bello: Mum Who Went Back To School After 4 Kids, Graduates With A PhD / What Can Make You Treat Your Pen This Way? #Hilarious photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.