Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,303 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

How Blogging Can Help You Land Your Dream Job In Project Management In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Blogging Can Help You Land Your Dream Job In Project Management In Nigeria (551 Views)

How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection / Top 8 Skills You Need To Land Your Dream Job / How Lucrative Is Environmental Resources Management In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Blogging Can Help You Land Your Dream Job In Project Management In Nigeria by jerryihejirika(m): 1:54pm On Mar 14, 2016
With the high rate of unemployment in the country, I wonder how many of our recent graduates in project management have landed their dream jobs.

It is now common knowledge that the first thing recruiters and employers do is to search for you on social media. So the best place to position yourself first is on social media. But, with the numerous profiles of job seekers online, how do you actually stand out from the social media crowd? The answer is through BLOGGING.

Gone are those days when blogging was meant for the journalists, writers and gossip mongers. In today’s world, a good blog can land you your dream job in a company that values project management (PM) in Nigeria. How so? Let’s take a look.

My Story

I discovered the power of blogging in 2008 when I joined my first Internet Network Marketing Company. I set up my blog to promote the company’s travel products and services and also recruit members into the company’s Network Marketing system.

I’d expected to generate some local and international traffic by doing this, but I did not anticipate the overwhelming, positive response I got from my upline member who took the time to check out my blog. I also used the blog to a great success in building an international team.

Although I’ve since giving up on the blog as the company is no longer existing, I wouldn’t be engaged in my current blogging activities of which I am passionate about if it weren’t for my early blogging experience.

Blogging to Your Dream Job 

In this post, we will be looking at how you can use blogging to get the attention of talent managers, hiring managers and recruiters from top companies and government agencies seeking for the best employees or workers with project management skills.

Showcasing Your Project Management Knowledge

Write about problems as relating to project management that you have come across, and offer your solutions. If you don’t have a lot of experience in the field of PM, then do your research. Look at the common challenges PM students and practitioners are facing, and offer suggestions for better ways of doing things differently. Blogging not only keeps your PM knowledge ahead of the curve, but it also keeps your skills sharp as you continue providing consistent posts for your readers.

Positioning Yourself as One Who’s Current in the PM Industry

Writing and sharing news and updates on things happening in the world of project management shows that you are staying current, you are engaged and that the PM industry is valuable to you. This also sends a message to recruiters and employers that you “get” it because you are not just telling, but showing that you can be valuable to their organisation in helping them stay up-to-date on project management trends.

Networking with Project Management Professionals

One of the aims of establishing your project management blog is to create conversations with persons who are passionate or interested in project management – conversations create connections, and connections can land you your dream job. Also, another good way to create an online conversation with companies that you want to work for is to follow their blogs, and leave thoughtful comments on their posts. Perhaps even link back to your own blog. Every step you take to get your name in front of a prospective employer makes you more memorable when your CV/resume reaches them.

Showcase Your Project Management Portfolios

If you are one of those project managers who are also skilled in the art of communication, web designing, software programming, artistry, product/service research, graphics design and photography, then show it off on your blog as there are companies out there seeking for persons like you. Share your stories, photos and projects on your blog so it can act as your professional portfolio, which in turn would complement and supplement your CV/resume.

Build Your Personal Brand

You blog is like a billboard that promotes YOU. It tells employers and recruiters who you are and what you believe in. So without getting to meet you, they already have some ideas of your personality and how you might fit in their company.

If you don’t know how to start a blog or you're still thinking about whether to start blogging, then read the articles listed below:

However, if you are wondering whether I’ve gotten my own dream job through blogging, I haven’t yet. But let me tell you that I have been receiving some calls and emails from some employers who are interested in employing me though I haven’t agreed with any, yet. And trust me when I do, I would share it on the blog.

If your blog has helped you in landing your dream job, I'd like to hear from you in the comment section.

(1) (Reply)

Presentation Topic Ideas / The Opportunity To Make Extra Income Is Here! / Dont Give Us, Success Takes Time - Founder Of House Of Usanga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.