Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

#oke’badan Festival: Gani Adams Laments Fading Glory Of Cultural Heritage. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / #oke’badan Festival: Gani Adams Laments Fading Glory Of Cultural Heritage. (530 Views)

Int’l Museum Day: Edo Determined To Preserve Cultural Heritage With Royal Museum / Nigerian Guy Laments After Spending N35k On Girl Who ‘deceived’ Him With Makeup / The Glory Of Meeting People's Needs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#oke’badan Festival: Gani Adams Laments Fading Glory Of Cultural Heritage. by Apesin247: 3:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
National Coordinator, Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) , Otunba Gani Adams has expressed his regret over the neglect suffered by Oke’badan festival which he claimed has been demeaning its glory while calling on Oyo State government, relevant stakeholders to preserve and expand the dream of the rich cultural heritage by branding it as a state festival to generate traffic to Ibadan during the period of celebration.

He also called for more participation of Ibadan people in the festival celebration. “Permit me to drum it once again without pontificating that there is nothing fetish or primitive in Oke’badan Festival.

He made the lamentation at the annual celebration of Oke’badan festival 2016 on Thursday in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital . The chief promoter of Olokun Festival, Otunba Adams during his address at the historic Mapo hall noted that the festival is one of the unsullied festival in Yorubaland because of its cultural significance to the soul of Ibadan.

“Oke’badan Festival celebration is the key that unlocks the pot of fortunes and clear the road for accelerated development strides in Ibadan land. It is not only for the fun of it that Ibadan grows faster than any other cities in Nigeria. This feat is not being recorded without the aura of good spell being dished out by the efficacy of prayers offered by Lagelu and which is being refreshed and stoke every year during the celebration of Oke’badan Festival”, the OPC chief explained.

“Oke’badan Festival is just a cultural celebration where the efforts of the heroes past are appreciated, evaluated and celebrated. It is a festival which every Ibadan indigene is always proud of that the city has a solid festival rooted in history and sustained all these years, which reminds them of a glorious past, with seasoned progenitors who stamped their imprints on the sand of time by founding this great city”, it continued.

Otunba Adams stressed that his organization has lifted the economic activity of Ibadan during the festive period through the influx of visitors who came to fete and celebrate Oke’badan as many were doing a brisk business. He, however lamented that Ibadan people denied their one time saviour who once rescued the city from crisis, urging them not to shy away from the reality, but to promote their identity- Oke’badan.

“Ibadan, the great city with seven hills which Oke’badan Festival represents must be uplifted as one of the festivals to be adopted by the Federal government in its scheme of boosting cultural tourism in Nigeria”.

Equally, the OPC captain also dismissed media reports that he collected the sum of $22m from the late Libyan President, Mummar Ghaddaffi and N1.6m from Musliu Obanikoro, former minister of state for defence.

” I have been reading reports and articles sponsored in the media by some expelled members of the OPC are fallacy of thought from discomforted and greedy former members of the association.

“Sometimes ago, they said I collected $22Billion from Ghadaffi of Libya, I don’t know what for, I am not a Taliban, I have never been to Libya neither do I have any link with Gadaffi. Also they said I collected N 1.6 Billion from Obanikoro who is now in America”.

“Yesterday again I read in the newspaper where somebody who is parading himself as a member of the National coordinating council of the OPC speaking on behalf of his co-travailer that I should not come to Ibadan because I will cause violence. I want to tell you categorically that OPC is not a violent organization, we form this organization to liberate Yoruba “.

“This is an assignment given to me by God. It is beyond me. The detractors have been plotting my downfall but rather than failing as they wish I continue to wax stronger and gain more strength with the help of He who sent me and I can assure them no matter how hard they try to disorganize OPC and pull us down they will continue to fail”, he said.

The celebrator, Aboke of Ibadanland, Chief Fasola Ifamapowa commended Otunba Gani Adams and the entire Olokun festival foundation for supporting the festival. Other speakers at the event include the Oyo state coordinator of OPC, Comrade Rotimi Olumo, and the guest lecturer, Dr Shina Arulogun of the Department of local government and development studies, the Polytechnic Ibadan.

Teeming crowd graced the occasion, while other dignitaries who attended the occassion are High Chief Ayoade Adewuyi, Jagun of Oyo State, Oba Sikiru Adeyemo Odeyemi, Onimia of Imia, Mr. Femi Davies, Metro news, Mr. Wale Ojo Lanre, Tourism Editor, Nigerian Tribune. megaiconmagazine.com/?p=2159#more-2159

(1) (Reply)

Is This True About Ogun State, Check This Photo / I Wanna Deactivate This Account / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.