Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,098 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? (2483 Views)

7 Biblical/ Wisdom Ways To Avoiding "RAPE" At All Cost In A Filthy World / Where Do Aborted Babies Go To? / Do Children,babies And Aborted Feutus Go To Hell Or Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by budaatum: 12:17am On Jul 22, 2009
Should the baby resulting from a rape be aborted?
Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry © Matthew J. Slick, 1995 - 2009

Rape is a horrible and traumatic event in the life of any woman who has suffered its indignity.  It is the forcible act of sexual intercourse against the will of a woman.  Should she become pregnant, not only must she bear the memory of the rape, but she also carries the child of the rapist.  The question, then, is whether or not a woman should abort the baby that is the result of a rape?  This is a very difficult question to answer.  After all, it is a highly emotional issue.  Of course, I am a man and cannot possibly relate nor understand what it would mean to be in the place of a woman whose body has been invaded in such a way.  I can only speak from what I know and what I believe about the sanctity of life that is derived from God's word.

In my opinion, a baby that is a product of rape should not be killed.  It is not the fault of the baby that it has been brought into the world.  Why should the life of the baby be sacrificed because of the indignity suffered against the woman?  Yes, I know rape is horrible and that it is wrong.  I know the woman has the right of self-protection and emotional security.  But I also know that love is greater than all these things, and few things on earth have greater love than a mother for her child.

I know some will strongly object and say that my attitude is callous and insensitive to the needs of the woman.  Indeed, a woman impregnated through rape has suffered greatly, and bearing the child would certainly be a reminder of the horrible incident.  The "father" would not support the child, and the mother would be left to raise the child on her own.  Without a doubt, the woman gets the raw end of the deal.

It is only natural, then, for a woman to want to protect herself physically, emotionally, and financially by removing from her very body that which has invaded her through rape.  I cannot blame a woman for desiring to justify an abortion intellectually and emotionally in this case.  But still, in spite of the great indignity against the woman, and in spite of the emotional and financial hardships she would bear in the future, must the child be required to pay for the sin of the rapist?  Is it right to kill the child who is not at fault?  Is it right to take the life of someone who has done nothing wrong?  In civilized nations, protection of the innocent is a primary concern.  In the hearts of mothers, love should win out.  Love that sacrifices and gives life, instead of taking it, should be the goal.  Just as Jesus loved us and sacrificed Himself for us so that we might have life, so too should the mother give life to the child.  Is it fair?  No.  It wasn't fair for Jesus to die for us either, but He did it anyway.  He showed us what true love really is.

For those who place no credence in God's word nor the sacrifice of Christ, it all comes down to the persons' values.  If a woman considers the life in her womb to have human nature, even though it is the product of rape, then she will be more likely to spare its life.  However, if she considers what is alive in her to be nothing more than an invasive parasite, then killing it would be easier to do.

In today's world, sterile medical terms are used to describe the life growing in the womb, thus making it easier to detach oneself emotionally.  "Embryo" and "fetus" are clinical words that do not carry emotional baggage.  Terms like "baby" and "child," however, do.  Which words do you use?

How can anyone not realize that what is alive in the womb is human in nature?  How can anyone so easily dismiss its life?
That is easy for you to say

Of course, while sitting here in the comfort of my office, it is easy for me to urge women to keep babies who are the products of rape.  After all, I don't have to carry the child, suffer the emotional trauma, or bear the financial burden.  This is true.  The closest I can come to experiencing their situation is to try and imagine what I would do if my wife were raped and impregnated.  Years ago, I decided that if it happened, I would want to raise the child as my own.  I dearly love children and could never simply want to get rid of it.  My wife feels the same way.

Jesus showed me His great love by sacrificing His life for me, a sinner.  I deserve to be judged harshly by Him, yet He is gracious and kind.  I too must be gracious and kind in response.  Therefore, I would keep any child given to me and raise him or her as my own, with all my love and dedication, by God's grace.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:23am On Jul 22, 2009
Do you ever post your own opinions?
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by ttalks(m): 12:45am On Jul 22, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

I guess he shares the same opinion as the owner of the article.Nothing wrong there as long as he cites his source.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:57am On Jul 22, 2009
ttalks:

I guess he shares the same opinion as the owner of the article.Nothing wrong there as long as he cites his source.
I really don't subscribe to that, this guy has supposedly said he was an atheist somewhere, now he is talking of our[b] faith [/b]
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by BlackRevo: 1:01am On Jul 22, 2009
Hmm poster what is your opinion?.

Well as for me i will plead with women for the love of God and the sake of a sacred life they are carrying not to abort the child but look up to God to be the judge and reward you for your action,
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 22, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

that's what i sometimes have to ask you folks who plagiarise atheist material ALL THE TIME. grin
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:10am On Jul 22, 2009
The topic is an interesting one but I would like to know what the OP thinks before I commit.
davidylan:

that's what i sometimes have to ask you folks who plagiarise atheist material ALL THE TIME. grin
You suffer from placing group labels on people. Take a chill pill.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by SoWhat77(f): 1:47am On Jul 22, 2009
A Godly View of Life

CHAPTERS

Is This What God Purposed?
1.What Is the Truth About God?
2.The Bible—A Book From God
3.What Is God’s Purpose for the Earth?
4.Who Is Jesus Christ?
5.The Ransom—God’s Greatest Gift
6.Where Are the Dead?
7.Real Hope for Your Loved Ones Who Have Died
8.What Is God’s Kingdom?
9.Are We Living in “the Last Days”?
10.Spirit Creatures—How They Affect Us
11.Why Does God Allow Suffering?
12.Living in a Way That Pleases God
13.A Godly View of Life
14.How to Make Your Family Life Happy
15.Worship That God Approves
16.Take Your Stand for True Worship
17.Draw Close to God in Prayer
18.Baptism and Your Relationship With God
19.Remain in God’s Love
Appendix
Print this page
How does God view life?

How does God view abortion?

How do we show respect for life?

“JEHOVAH is in truth God,” said the prophet Jeremiah. “He is the living God.” (Jeremiah 10:10) Furthermore, Jehovah God is the Creator of all living things. Heavenly creatures said to him: “You created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created.” (Revelation 4:11) In a song of praise to God, King David said: “With you is the source of life.” (Psalm 36:9) Life, then, is a gift from God.

2 Jehovah also sustains our lives. (Acts 17:28) He provides the food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the land we live on. (Acts 14:15-17) Jehovah has done this in a way that makes life enjoyable. But to enjoy life to the full, we need to learn God’s laws and obey them.—Isaiah 48:17, 18.

SHOWING RESPECT FOR LIFE
3 God wants us to have respect for life—both our own and that of others. Back in the days of Adam and Eve, for example, their son Cain became very angry with his younger brother Abel. Jehovah warned Cain that his anger could lead him to serious sin. Cain ignored that warning. He ‘assaulted Abel his brother and killed him.’ (Genesis 4:3-cool Jehovah punished Cain for murdering his brother.—Genesis 4:9-11.

4 Thousands of years later, Jehovah gave the people of Israel laws to help them to serve him acceptably. Because these laws were given through the prophet Moses, they are sometimes called the Mosaic Law. Part of the Mosaic Law said: “You must not murder.” (Deuteronomy 5:17) This showed the Israelites that God values human life and that people must value the lives of others.

5 What about the life of an unborn child? Well, according to the Mosaic Law, causing the death of a baby in its mother’s womb was wrong. Yes, even such a life is precious to Jehovah. (Exodus 21:22, 23; Psalm 127:3) This means that abortion is wrong.

6 Having respect for life includes having the right view of fellow humans. The Bible says: “Everyone who hates his brother is a manslayer, and you know that no manslayer has everlasting life remaining in him.” (1 John 3:15) If we want everlasting life, we need to root out of our heart any hatred for our fellowman, because hatred is the root cause of most violence. (1 John 3:11, 12) It is vital that we learn to love one another.

WE SHOW RESPECT FOR LIFE

■by not taking the life of an unborn child

■by giving up unclean habits

■by rooting out of our heart any hatred for our fellowman

7 What about showing respect for our own life? People normally do not want to die, but some risk death for the sake of pleasure. For example, many use tobacco, chew betel nut, or take drugs for recreational purposes. Such substances harm the body and often kill the users. A person who makes it a practice to use these substances does not view life as sacred. These practices are unclean in God’s eyes. (Romans 6:19; 12:1; 2 Corinthians 7:1) To serve God acceptably, we have to give up such practices. Although doing so might be very hard, Jehovah can give us the needed help. And he appreciates the effort we make to treat our life as a precious gift from him.

8 If we have respect for life, we will keep in mind the need to be safety conscious. We will not be careless and will not take risks just for pleasure or excitement. We will avoid reckless driving and violent or dangerous sports. (Psalm 11:5) God’s law for ancient Israel stated: “In case you build a new house [with a flat roof], you must also make a parapet [or, low wall] for your roof, that you may not place bloodguilt upon your house because someone falling might fall from it.” (Deuteronomy 22:cool In harmony with the principle set out in that law, keep such things as stairs in good condition in your home so that someone does not trip, fall, and get badly hurt. If you own a car, make sure that it is safe to drive. Do not let either your home or your car be a danger to you or to others.

9 What about the life of an animal? That too is sacred to the Creator. God permits the killing of animals to obtain food and clothing or to protect people from danger. (Genesis 3:21; 9:3; Exodus 21:28) However, being cruel to animals or killing them just for sport is wrong and shows utter disregard for the sacredness of life.—Proverbs 12:10.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 2:18am On Jul 22, 2009
Bullshit

Let her get rid of the baby if she doesn't want it. Hasn't she be humiliated enough? Must she carry the product of the criminal's dirty sperm?
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 2:19am On Jul 22, 2009
buda atum and michelin89 dont happen to know each other from anywhere, do they?
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 2:22am On Jul 22, 2009
tpia.:

buda atum and michelin89 dont happen to know each other from anywhere, do they?

Oh my goodness Tpiah. Do you like me so much?
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Hauwa1: 2:24am On Jul 22, 2009
michelin89:

Bullshit

Let her get rid of the baby if she doesn't want it. Hasn't she be humiliated enough? Must she carry the product of the criminal's[b] dirty sperm?[/b]

grin very funny grin
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 2:25am On Jul 22, 2009
michelin89:

Oh my goodness Tpiah. Do you like me so much?

care to answer the question?

btw, do you need people to like you?
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 2:27am On Jul 22, 2009
tpia.:

care to answer the question?

No!

1. It's stupid.
2. What the Bleep has it got to do with the topic?
3. What sort of relation do you see between the poster and I?
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by minute(f): 3:17am On Jul 22, 2009
Thats fine and dandy coming from someone who hasnt been raped,or related

to someone who has been molested.Why dont you volunteer at a rape Center?

I dont know. But i know that if i were raped,I couldnt be around the spawn of a

rapist staring at me in my face all day,it'd only bring back bad memories.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Bobbyaf(m): 3:48am On Jul 22, 2009
It depends on the age of the mother to be. If she is a child I'd suggest she aborts. I believe its worse for a child to have to bring an infant into the world after being raped, than the act of aborting it.

If its an adult then I'd encourage to carry the pregnancy.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by skydancer: 10:15am On Jul 22, 2009
As you said. It's quite a difficult one to decide. To tell you the truth, If I was a girl who it happened to:

1. I will never marry again
2. I will raise the child as my own
3. I will do my utmost to ensure that he does not go bad like his father
4. I will tell her right from birth how she was born and make her realize that I truly love her and that it does not matter to me how she was born. Everything that happens to those who have faith and trust in God is just GOD"S WILL.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by skydancer: 10:25am On Jul 22, 2009
@Minute: It's silly to say one should volunteer at a rape center. grin
Some christians who these things happen to just resort to blaming God, some to neglecting Him. Whether you remove the child or not, the stigma would never leave you. Bearing the child is for God's sake and most good things in life are done for God's sake. Just pray that satan will never use it to tempt you coz I don't think sin is conditional. undecided
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 22, 2009
Agree with the poster
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:28pm On Jul 22, 2009
Depends on the circumstances, and who did the raping.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by budaatum: 11:14pm On Jul 22, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Yes I do. Quite a lot, actually. Just google "buda atum", if you care to know.

As to my opinion on abortion, it is above my pay grade to tell others what they should do with their body. As for me, I would abort the child of my rapist. I would not like seeing the bastards face in the child I am meant to love, and nor will I take the chance that I might not hate it.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by budaatum: 11:27pm On Jul 22, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

I really don't subscribe to that, this guy has supposedly said he was an atheist somewhere, now he is talking of our[b] faith [/b]
Talking of you faith? Sorry mate. I was not aware it belonged to you.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 22, 2009
buda atum:

As to my opinion on abortion, it is above my pay grade to tell others what they should do with their body. As for me, I would abort the child of my rapist. I would not like seeing the bastards face in the child I am meant to love, and nor will I take the chance that I might not hate it.

Truthful girl. No pretending. Say it!
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:44pm On Jul 22, 2009
buda atum:

Talking of you faith? Sorry mate. I was not aware it belonged to you.
buda atum:

Good to hear your thoughts at last, our faith was refering to the article not my faith or your faith, I was confused because I had seen somewhere that you said you were an atheist and then the article kinda took a christian stance so I was asking what your own opinion was thanks for clearing that up.
Cheers
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by SoWhat77(f): 2:05am On Jul 23, 2009
I guess it all depends on how much you value your relationship with God. With him all things are possible as is forgiveness and acceptance. But he will only fortify those things in you if you go to him and ask him to do such.With prayer God could help you grow to accept and even love the child.

Abortion is murder any way you look at it and God is a God of rightousness and he does not lie. If he says that the taking of a life is murder and anyone doing such becomes bloodguilty then he will not change his mind based on circumstance.

As hard as it would be to keep a child that was concieved through such a brutal act, I would not want to then make things worse by then becoming bloodguilty in Gods eyes. Rape is a sinfull act but the rapist will be acountable to God for his actions.

And this is coming from a victim of rape.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by DaZiddo: 2:12am On Jul 23, 2009
Well said by Sowhat77
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Bobbyaf(m): 12:10pm On Jul 23, 2009
For those who believe that abortion is murder, without any exception whatsoever, what if you had a daughter who was 12, and she got raped and became pregnant. Would you want her to carry that child full term?
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by skydancer: 4:29pm On Jul 23, 2009
Look at you. shocked shocked shocked After making noise about being a faithful christian, you are here blabbing about abortion not being murder under some circumstances. The truth is always the truth and cannot be twisted. A raped twelve year old girl is as good as dead except with the intercession of the Lord. So would you go on and tear your daughters womb, or will you trust in the Lord for something that can rarely happen. Man can be faced with many deadly circumstances. That is just a little circumstance of temptation and cannot even be compared to the temptation of Abraham or Job.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by JeSoul(f): 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2009
SoWhat77:

I guess it all depends on how much you value your relationship with God. With him all things are possible as is forgiveness and acceptance. But he will only fortify those things in you if you go to him and ask him to do such.With prayer God could help you grow to accept and even love the child.

Abortion is murder any way you look at it and God is a God of rightousness and he does not lie. If he says that the taking of a life is murder and anyone doing such becomes bloodguilty then he will not change his mind based on circumstance.

As hard as it would be to keep a child that was concieved through such a brutal act, I would not want to then make things worse by then becoming bloodguilty in Gods eyes. Rape is a sinfull act but the rapist will be acountable to God for his actions.

And this is coming from a victim of rape.

Considering the source, this post is Powerful.

buda atum:

Ah yes we see an encore of the Obama stance on the campaign trail smiley.

I agree with the article. But a very big BUT please solemnly consider this unique situation: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-245335.0.html

In this case I support the decision to abort the babies, my reasons are on that thread.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:56pm On Jul 23, 2009
JeSoul:

Considering the source, this post is Powerful.
Ah yes we see an encore of the Obama stance on the campaign trail smiley.

I agree with the article. But a very big BUT please solemnly consider this unique situation: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-245335.0.html

In this case I support the decision to abort the babies, my reasons are on that thread.
Hello J,
Lemme ask you a few questions, in the previous thread where you said that the abortion should be allowed, your reasons where because the baby was 9 and that her life was in danger. When does life start for you? In that particular scenario, were two babies killed to save one? I know its not black or white just give it your best shot.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by JeSoul(f): 8:18pm On Jul 23, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

When does life start for you?
  Physically, at conception.

Spiritually, before conception.
Jer 1:5 'The word of the Lord came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart"

In that particular scenario, were two babies killed to save one? I know its not black or white just give it your best shot.
  Possibly yes but it was unlikely she would survive the pregnancy. The only thing certain was that her life could be saved and that is what I would've done if I were her mother. The bible is so much more than just black and white. It only gives infidelity and death as reasons for divorce yet no right thinking christian would say a woman being abused by her husband should stay in the marriage because the bible doesn't allow it. If not anything Jesus taught us about mercy, motives, compassion and love.

As for the original post, I am pro-life, but I understand & sympathize with why a woman who was raped wouldn't want to keep the child. The way I see it, only the love of Christ in a woman can make her love a constant reminder of a terrible thing she suffered. I know many keep the babies and grow to love them but for most women it would be near impossible without the grace and help from God. This be the reason I sometimes find myself sympathizing with abortionists.
Re: Should The Baby Resulting From A Rape Be Aborted? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:49pm On Jul 23, 2009
JeSoul:

Physically, at conception.

Spiritually, before conception.
Jer 1:5 'The word of the Lord came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart"
  Possibly yes but it was unlikely she would survive the pregnancy. The only thing certain was that her life could be saved and that is what I would've done if I were her mother. The bible is so much more than just black and white. It only gives infidelity and death as reasons for divorce yet no right thinking christian would say a woman being abused by her husband should stay in the marriage because the bible doesn't allow it. If not anything Jesus taught us about mercy, motives, compassion and love.

As for the original post, I am pro-life, but I understand & sympathize with why a woman who was raped wouldn't want to keep the child. The way I see it, only the love of Christ in a woman can make her love a constant reminder of a terrible thing she suffered. I know many keep the babies and grow to love them but for most women it would be near impossible without the grace and help from God. This be the reason I sometimes find myself sympathizing with abortionists.
Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Noetic, Purist, Lets Discuss Freewill & Predestination. / God Will Prove Himself / The Resurrection Of The Dead Saints

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.