Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA (18403 Views)

FAAN Bans Luggage Screening At MMIA Departure Hall / Emirates Airline Celebrates The April Fool's Day With This Insane Jet / Emirates Airline Suspends Its 2nd Daily Flight From Nigeria To Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by lakesidew2: 10:13am On Mar 18, 2016
Don't worry the matter will be forwarded to the appropriate quarters. Those officers will be prosecuted and dealt with decisively.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrPresident1: 10:14am On Mar 18, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

but why? NL rule 2

I have removed the incriminating word, but I would just like to say that like minds think alike angry
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by justwise(m): 10:15am On Mar 18, 2016
skytanics:
This was what my friend passed through in the hands of Quarantine officers at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport and almost missed his flight. I know many others have experienced this extortion from these people giving Nigeria bad name, so we need to stop them.

Read what happened..

Please, I had a terrible experience on Saturday afternoon 12-03-2016 at Muritala Mohammed International Airport.
I had an Emirates flight EK784 to Dubai scheduled to leave by 1420hrs. While on the queue, I saw the customs official - a man and the quarantine officer- a woman taking bribe from almost all the passengers before my turn. Bags were not even checked properly. When I approached the government officials desk with my bags, the customs officer on duty (ANDONG DAN) and quarantine officer - a woman (OLUBUMMO E.A.) told me to pay 4,000 Naira bribe to N.L. SULEIMAN also a government official on the desk. I had two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans in my bags. I did not carry anything unlawful as far as I know.

I told them I will not pay any kobo, rather, I will do whatever the law says. Immediately, ANDONG DAN and OLUBUMMO E.A. shouted at me and asked me to go and look for a quarantine office and collect certificates for two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans . I asked them, to tell me the provision of the law and that, I was ready to drop whatever is not permitted in my bag.
They refused to attend to me, the quarantine woman said my eyes would see it, before I get back from the quarantine office, I would have missed my international flight.
But, I kept demanding for justice. After a while, they described quarantine office in the airport to me. I had to rush to the quarantine office and if not for God, I would have missed my flight because I refused to pay bribe.

Please let us put this kind of officers where they belong by letting the authorities know what is happening.

Credit to you for refusing to be scammed, we need more Nigerians like you who refuses to encourage this sort of daylight robbery

6 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Jabioro: 10:18am On Mar 18, 2016
I hope government officials, and those who are concern, or in change,probably in position can read it here ,then take appropriate measures.. it is shameful deeds,and it will not do our nation proud..but they will see it as if nothing had happened ? President Buhari should have someone who is upright to going through nairaland every day take such complaint to the authority in charge .

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Omooba77: 10:18am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:
What is the essence of this thread? To make the officers lose their jobs is why you put their names, right? Who will do the firing, the ogas they are reporting and 'returning' to?

OP, are you a saint, you have never taken or given bribes? What are you going to do in Dubai, is it legitimate business?

Thunder fire you there!

angry
That is why they wear name tag; if we report, next time they will not do it

13 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 18, 2016
skytanics:
This was what my friend passed through in the hands of Quarantine officers at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport and almost missed his flight. I know many others have experienced this extortion from these people giving Nigeria bad name, so we need to stop them.

Read what happened..

Please, I had a terrible experience on Saturday afternoon 12-03-2016 at Muritala Mohammed International Airport.
I had an Emirates flight EK784 to Dubai scheduled to leave by 1420hrs. While on the queue, I saw the customs official - a man and the quarantine officer- a woman taking bribe from almost all the passengers before my turn. Bags were not even checked properly. When I approached the government officials desk with my bags, the customs officer on duty (ANDONG DAN) and quarantine officer - a woman (OLUBUMMO E.A.) told me to pay 4,000 Naira bribe to N.L. SULEIMAN also a government official on the desk. I had two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans in my bags. I did not carry anything unlawful as far as I know.

I told them I will not pay any kobo, rather, I will do whatever the law says. Immediately, ANDONG DAN and OLUBUMMO E.A. shouted at me and asked me to go and look for a quarantine office and collect certificates for two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans . I asked them, to tell me the provision of the law and that, I was ready to drop whatever is not permitted in my bag.
They refused to attend to me, the quarantine woman said my eyes would see it, before I get back from the quarantine office, I would have missed my international flight.
But, I kept demanding for justice. After a while, they described quarantine office in the airport to me. I had to rush to the quarantine office and if not for God, I would have missed my flight because I refused to pay bribe.

Please let us put this kind of officers where they belong by letting the authorities know what is happening.

I dont know if they actually do anything but try this site

http://www.bribenigeria.com/

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Psalm18: 10:21am On Mar 18, 2016
That's customs headed by the'dreaded' Alli. We lionize people fast in this country rather than wait for them to prove themselves.
I expect by now that Hammed Alli will have cautioned his staff that brazen acts like the op described will have ceased.

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by justwise(m): 10:22am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:
What is the essence of this thread?
To make the officers lose their jobs is why you put their names, right? Who will do the firing, the ogas they are reporting and 'returning' to?

OP, are you a saint, you have never taken or given bribes? What are you going to do in Dubai, is it legitimate business?

Thunder fire you there!

angry

People like you keep those thieving govt agencies in office to keep robbing innocent Nigerians.

Yes the essence of this thread is to get those thieves exposed and possibly get sacked

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by AleAirHub(m): 10:26am On Mar 18, 2016
Bro!!!.
Sorry about your experience embarassed embarassed embarassed since the increment in dollar rate their bribe has turn to be Nigeria currency called naira before then; their bribe is on foreign currency of any passenger traveling out...

I hate them with passion!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 18, 2016
Psalm18:
That's customs headed by the'dreaded' Alli. We lionize people fast in this country rather than wait for them to prove themselves.
I expect by now that Hammed Alli will have cautioned his staff that brazen acts like the op described will have ceased.

It also highlights the fact that the problem with Nigeria are Nigerians themselves. Corruption in the system is endemic virtually every public officer is corrupt, if they refuse to change their ways what do you do are you going to sack all of them....and if you do who do you replace them with....people from the same larger corrupt Nigerian socierty?

4 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by dantori(m): 10:28am On Mar 18, 2016
skytanics:

Read what happened..

I am posting this on Facebook right away

5 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by seyigiggle: 10:29am On Mar 18, 2016
its only in Nigeria Airport that they print N100 on FAAN ticket and you pay N200 stamped at the back for many years.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by subzidi: 10:29am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:
What is the essence of this thread? To make the officers lose their jobs is why you put their names, right? Who will do the firing, the ogas they are reporting and 'returning' to?

Thunder fire you there!

angry
You should really be very ASHAMED of yourself! Your type is the reason why the country is the way it is today! We want a better country yet nobody wants to change!
Why should the officials demand for bribe from him? If their salaries are not enough the right thing to do is resign from the job and look for better paying job or go to farm! For God's sake i don't get this attitude of because everyone is doing a bad therefore it becomes acceptable! That is a very wrong attitude and it needs to stop! Have you even considered the security implication of these corrupt govt officials collecting N4k and passing off a bomb in one of an unsearched luggage? Your type will still come here to lament when a bomb goes off in the plane and perhaps you lose someone dear to you(God forbid) then you'd understand the evil in what those airport officials are doing!
Bribery in any form is evil and it's a cancer that needs aggressive approach by every Nigerian!
I will take it upon myself to make sure that this case gets the publicity it deserves! And I will not stop at that. In fact, I will plant a hidden camera on my next trip to catch and disgrace these corrupt officials!
The new Nigeria we all yearn for starts from all of us! I don't care if the officials lose their jobs so long as the interest of larger populace which is security is protected!
We must all rise up to say no to corruption at all levels!
Pls repent from this mentality!!

31 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrPresident1: 10:29am On Mar 18, 2016
justwise:
[b]

People like you keep those thieving govt agencies in office to keep robbing innocent Nigerians.

Yes the essence of this thread is to get those thieves exposed and possible get sacked

Those are not the people you should be bothered with, they are not the ones responsible for Nigeria's misery, you people leave leprosy and keep hammering and yammering on crawcraw.

Abeg park well, let OP come and tell us what he is going to do in Dubai whether it is legitimate business or not!
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by stevedre: 10:30am On Mar 18, 2016
After we face racism and unnecessary indirect insults from airport officials abroad this set of vampires will still try to make ur trip more miserable. Almost lost a tv set at MMA last time i visited naija only for the custom idiot to locate it and tell me to pay him for doing his job after i spent over 3 hours looking for it with out the guy helping me thinking i would leave. I just ignored him took my Tv while my red eyes n body language did all the talking.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrPresident1: 10:32am On Mar 18, 2016
subzidi:

You should really be very ASHAMED of yourself! Your type is the reason why the country is the way it is today! We want a better country yet nobody wants to change!
Why should the officials demand for bribe from him? If their salaries are not enough the right thing to do is resign from the job and look for better paying job or go to farm! For God's sake i don't get this attitude of because everyone is doing a bad therefore it becomes acceptable! That is a very wrong attitude and it needs to stop! Have you even considered the security implication of these corrupt govt officials collecting N4k and passing off a bomb in one of an unsearched luggage? Your type will still come here to lament when a bomb goes off in the plane and perhaps you lose someone dear to you(God forbid) then you'd understand the evil in what those airport officials are doing!
Bribery in any form is evil and it's a cancer that needs aggressive approach by every Nigerian!
I will take it upon myself to make sure that this case gets the publicity it deserves! And I will not stop it! In fact, I will plant a hidden camera on my next trip to catch and disgrace these corrupt officials!
The new Nigeria we all yearn for starts from all of us! I don't care if the officials lose their jobs so longer as the interest of larger populace which is security is protected!
We must all rise up to say no to corruption at all levels!
Pls repent from this mentality!!

Story!

You, are you a saint? Are you in-corrupt and incorruptible? Answer my question but remember if you give a false answer thunder will fire you right there where you stand!

Liars.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by dylan1ng(m): 10:32am On Mar 18, 2016
Endtime Custom/Immigration officials. Travellers most times encourage these officials cos they re in a hurry or not to miss their flight. Thanks OP for letting this known and KUDOS to ur friend for standing his/her ground.

I pray PMB's hand of fellowship visit them SOONEST!!! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Sanchase: 10:33am On Mar 18, 2016
Nigerian officials have been doing this for a very long time, next time just leave any food item with them, let them eat it.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Omooba77: 10:34am On Mar 18, 2016
kimond101:
Capital punishment should be given to anyone involved in corruption. That would sporadically reduce the level when some people are made scape goats.

But is this country ready for capital punishment?! I don't think so, because the rights we have over the government they have refused to provide such as constant electricity, good roads, good health care amost others. Even though that doesn't justify being corrupt.

Before we can change the condition of this country we have to change the condition within our own selves. How do we so that?! We follow procedure and stand against corruption same way the OP did.

OP the corruption on those desk at MMIA is disgusting. And it's been like that for a long time. More like corporate beggers in uniform. They know what is right but they feel it's their post of assignment and if they are not sharp about it they can't make it in life with the salary they are being paid by the FG.

Kudos OP!
You wrote my thinking; we should not be tired of reporting. Not anywhere outside Nigeria, have I witness the shameless act of our men; corporate begging. We need to take away yam from yam eaters.....

5 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

Thunder fire you there!

angry
Lol. Plaetton, you dey see. Tomorrow, this one go open Jesus Christ thread for religion section. So much religion, no morals, no idea of what is right or wrong. It's all abut survival to the detriment of the society. Jesus be weeping in Abraham's bosom...

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrPresident1: 10:35am On Mar 18, 2016
justwise:
[b]

Yes the essence of this thread is to get those thieves exposed and possibly get sacked

Those are the small fries and they are not the ones responsible for your misery, they report and 'return' to seniors. What is the essence of them losing their jobs when the ones that will be employed to take their place will do worse under the same leadership that will still demand 'returns' from them?

Park well!

Are you a saint?
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by subzidi: 10:38am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

Those are not the people you should be bothered with, they are not the ones responsible for Nigeria's misery, you people leave leprosy and keep hammering and yammering on crawcraw.

Abeg park well, let OP come and tell us what he is going to do in Dubai whether it is legitimate business or not!
Shame shame shame! I pray you never find yourself in a situation where bribery affects you directly!
All sectors of this country is ridiculed with corruption and this is what you say! Do you know how many lives have been lost in the hospital because doctor refused to show up and doing his pp in another clinic yet expects govt to pay him salary at the end of the day ie corruption! Do you know how many people have died of kidney failure, cancer and all sorts of terminal diseases because nafdac officials collected bribe and passed off bad products! Just a few days lekki garden building collapsed and 30people died after a building was wrongfully unsealed perhaps bribe changed hands!
And you are here making excuses for bribery and corruption! If the big bosses who are sending them know that their boys are being caught and prosecuted this rubbish will stop and one might even spill the bean on who is sending them to make returns on the bribes collected! Enough of covering this evil!

12 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by subzidi: 10:41am On Mar 18, 2016
I have copied their names and I am setting up a sting operation with my team with a view to expose these guys! I can't wait till when I'm travelling, it's now an emergency for me!
I'm gutted!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Clakyvip: 10:41am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

Story!

You, are you a saint? Are you in-corrupt and incorruptible? Answer my question but remember if you give a false answer thunder will fire you right there where you stand!

Liars.
You have no point, n u wnt to be president with this attitude n impression. Corruption should be tackled at all corners not just from the top. I guess u v not gone out of this country before, if u v, u would v witnessed the level of corruption n extortion from this customs officials. Not everybody is corrupt, and nt everybody that goes to UAE is going there for illegal stuffs, Nigerians work ther ass here, doing a lot of hard jobs...ranging from security to cleaners. Stop raining curses on people, rather pray for us all. God bless u, God bless Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrPresident1: 10:42am On Mar 18, 2016
subzidi:

Shame shame shame! I pray you never find yourself in a situation where bribery affects you directly!
All sectors of this country is ridiculed with corruption and this is what you say! Do you know how many lives have been lost in the hospital because doctor refused to show up and doing his pp in another clinic yet expects govt to pay him salary at the end of the day ie corruption! Do you know how many people have died of kidney failure, cancer and all sorts of terminal diseases because nafdac officials collected bribe and passed off bad products! Just a few days lekki garden building collapsed and 30people died after a building was wrongfully unsealed perhaps bribe changed hands!
And you are here making excuses for bribery and corruption! If the big bosses who are sending them know that their boys are being caught and prosecuted this rubbish will stop and one might even spill the bean on who is sending them to make returns on the bribes collected! Enough of covering this evil!

Shame on you!
Are you a saint? Are you free of sin? Are you faithful where you find yourself?
Gerrarahere mhen with your sanctimonious nonsense!
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by dylan1ng(m): 10:42am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

You see your life? Why shouldn't we be bothered with them? We should be bothered with them. Q.E.D undecided
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrPresident1: 10:43am On Mar 18, 2016
dylan1ng:

You see your life? Why shouldn't we be bothered with them? We should be bothered with them. Q.E.D undecided

See your own life too.

They are not responsible for your life miseries!
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by goodlifehyd(m): 10:43am On Mar 18, 2016
seunlayi:
Is that a airport or a local glorified bus Park?
The funniest thing is that scanner at the main entrance I am yet to see the usefulness of that poo, cuz those custom officers would still deep their dirty fingers into your luggage when u get to their counter... Could remember traveling with enough Palm oil yet that poo couldn't discover it, even those mumu custom officers, when they were looking at my stock fish too much I just gave them 500naira just to avoid their long essay
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by MrPresident1: 10:46am On Mar 18, 2016
Clakyvip:

You have no point, n u wnt to be president with this attitude n impressing. Corruption should be tackled at all corners not just from the top. I guess u v not gone out of this country before, if u v, u would v witnessed the level of corruption n extortion from this customs officials. Not everybody is corruption, and everybody that goes to UAE is going there for illegal stuffs, Nigerians work ther ass here, doing a lot of hard jobs...ranging from security to cleaners. Stop raining curses on people, rather pray for us all. God bless u, God bless Nigeria.

Point to the curse I have 'rained' on people. You leave motes and beams untouched in your own eyes yet see clearly the splint in others.

And I will not pray for you, I will only pray for the hastening of your punishment.

Country of hypocrites and sycophants.

If you are a saint, cast the first stone!
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by opy002(m): 10:46am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

Thunder fire you there!

angry
what is your point Sir?

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by justwise(m): 10:46am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

Ridiculous, typical Nigerian excuse. No wonder we are where we are as a nation. Shame.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guyana Visa How Is It Obtain In Nigeria / British Airways Urges Travellers To Drop Their Luggage A Day Before Travel / The Nigerian Passports Will Henceforth Be Produced Locally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.