Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why (3407 Views)

8 Things Guys Above 30yrs Do That Show They Are Still Mummy's Boy / Nurse Helps Deliver A Baby On A Train In Lagos (Photo) / How Does A Husband Cope With A Wife Who Gives More Attention To The Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by tobodex(m): 2:11pm On Mar 19, 2016
When a baby begins to speak, what name or who will the baby learn to call first; Daddy, Mummy or the name of one of the siblings...and why?
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 19, 2016
It's daddy. I have seen 3 diff ones.
If my kid try am Ehn, I will just 'celotape' d mouth till he/she calls mummy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by laiza(m): 2:31pm On Mar 19, 2016
HateU2:
If my kid try am Ehn, I will just 'celotape' d mouth till he/she calls mummy cheesy cheesy
baaaad robot [color=#006600][/color] grin
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 19, 2016
laiza:
baaaad robot [color=#006600][/color] grin
cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Bolade005: 2:42pm On Mar 19, 2016
My first daughter called me first. As a matter of fact she calls me Daddy and call her mom by her name. She's just 20months old.
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2016
tobodex:
When a baby begins to speak, what name or who will the baby learn to call first; Daddy, Mummy or the name of one of the siblings...and why?
It depends on which one is around the most. They will learn what they hear the most around them.

1 Like

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 19, 2016
my daughter called daddy first at 11months even though he wasnt always around. wenever he calls on phone i usually tell her to say daddy and that was dat. it took a long time to start calling me mummy. most times she called me by my name wen shes angry but now she is almost 2 and calls me mummy 24/7.

1 Like

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by tobodex(m): 3:50pm On Mar 19, 2016
Bolade005:
My first daughter called me first. As a matter of fact she calls me Daddy and call her mom by her name. She's just 20months old.

But why are children allowed to call their mother by name and not mummy, our Nigerian tradition and culture does not encourage it o, abi.....or better still a pet name that he/she hears from the father
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by LegatusGlaber(m): 4:29pm On Mar 19, 2016
HateU2:

lol. My sis daughter call daddy 24/7 but can't call mummy. Worse still, the dad is out of the country for like 6months now grin .
All effort by the Mum to make her say mummy has not worked till this moment. My sis always go like; upon all the wahala way you dey give me grin

1 Like

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by tobodex(m): 7:13pm On Mar 19, 2016
LegatusGlaber:

lol. My sis daughter call daddy 24/7 but can't call mummy. Worse still, the dad is out of the country for like 6months now grin .
All effort by the Mum to make her say mummy has not worked till this moment. My sis always go like; upon all the wahala way you dey give me grin

Lol...seriously, probably if she hears other people calling mummy...
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 19, 2016
LegatusGlaber:

lol
I don't know what's rong with dem ooo.
One of d ones I have seen too, d dad is not always home oo and na Daddy she dey call.
End time kids cheesy
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 19, 2016
My 3 children all called daddy first. This is the norm - babies form their first words with their tongues against their palates, which is easier than words formed by sing their lips.
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 19, 2016
tobodex:

Lol...seriously, probably if she hears other people calling mummy...

Babies can't form words with their lips in their early months of speech development, so anytime between 5 months and 20 months. Some toddlers are just starting to form "M" words as late as 26 months.

2 Likes

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by LegatusGlaber(m): 6:46am On Mar 20, 2016
HateU2:
lol
One of d ones I have seen too, d dad is not always home oo and na Daddy she dey call.
End time kids cheesy

cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by goonsmi: 7:08am On Mar 20, 2016
tobodex:

But why are children allowed to call their mother by name and not mummy, our Nigerian tradition and culture does not encourage it o, abi.....or better still a pet name that he/she hears from the father

The father is to blame for this. babies tend to say the words they hear most often and since the women are likely to address their husby as Dad Davis or whatever while most men address their partners by their names .

3 Likes

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by adanny01(m): 12:36pm On Mar 20, 2016
Siena:

Babies can't form words with their lips in their early months of speech development, so anytime between 5 months and 20 months. Some toddlers are just starting to form "M" words as late as 26 months.

My 2 boys called daddy first. The second who is 26months now called "mummy" "meme" for sometime. The funniest is "uncle". He says that completely without opening or moving the lips.

He talks now but only the family can understand him. He stills makes complete sentences without using the lips. He always repeats after his older brother. His clear words are few, like mummy, daddy, poo, pee, tea, car nd others. By the way poo and spoon is the same when you hear it from him.
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by adanny01(m): 12:42pm On Mar 20, 2016
HateU2:
lol
End time kids cheesy

Same with me, i come home only weekends and miss some but they both called daddy first.
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 20, 2016
adanny01:

Same with me, i come home only weekends and miss some but they both called daddy first.
hehehehehe
If I be ur wife, I go celotape dir mouth ni cheesy
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by beautychoco(f): 4:15pm On Mar 20, 2016
My 8 month old son calls me 'oma' whenever he is crying and call his daddy 'dad or baba' despite the fact that I didnt teach him to call mummy
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by adanny01(m): 6:06pm On Mar 20, 2016
HateU2:
hehehehehe
If I be ur wife, I go celotape dir mouth ni cheesy

The truth is that we all miss the parent that is not always available. When i arrive after spending months away, my children dont want me off their sight. Its not easy to leave them behind and its not easy for them to wake up next morning and cant fund daddy for 5 days to 3months. Wifey keeps telling them about daddy and how much he loves them but she forgets to talk about how much she loves them. They end up yarning for daddy and when he comes mummy becomes jealous.

3 Likes

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 20, 2016
adanny01:

The truth is that we all miss the parent that is not always available. When i arrive after spending months away, my children dont want me off their sight. Its not easy to leave them behind and its not easy for them to wake up next morning and cant fund daddy for 5 days to 3months. Wifey keeps telling them about daddy and how much he loves them but she forgets to talk about how much she loves them. They end up yarning for daddy and when he comes mummy becomes jealous.
hmmmm
Lolz
I like that.
Don't stay way again oo
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Bolade005: 7:57pm On Mar 20, 2016
tobodex:

Seriously I'm not responsible for my daughter calling her mom by name. As a matter of fact, I'm not always around much, there are times I go for a month without seeing her and yet she calls me Daddy. My wife doesn't even worry, I'm even the one trying to correct her and she's improving. I'm always like "go and call mommy for me", go and give the phone to your mommy", "tell mommy to come".

My mom was around for a while and you know she calls me by name naso my daughter begin call me by name too. Now she calls daddy more and call me by name once in a while, I think that's subliminal.

1 Like

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Proudmum(f): 7:08am On Apr 15, 2016
My daughter should not call daddy first. Her dad is always not around. I even resigned to be @ home and take care of her. E go pain me if she calls daddy first. Like hateu2 said.... I go celotape her mouth grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 15, 2016
Proudmum:
My daughter should not call daddy first. Her dad is always not around. I even resigned to be @ home and take care of her. E go pain me if she calls daddy first. Like ha.teu2 said.... I go celotape her mouth grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by bolseas(f): 9:11am On Apr 15, 2016
Muafrika2:

It depends on which one is around the most. They will learn what they hear the most around them.

It doesn't depend on that o. I am always with my son more than the dad, but it has been Daady right from when he started talking. It is now Daady mii or Daady Daady.....
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 15, 2016
bolseas:

It doesn't depend on that o. I am always with my son more than the dad, but it has been Daady right from when he started talking. It is now Daady mii or Daady Daady.....

Interesting.
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 15, 2016
hmm, my sisters 1year and 6 months baby calls everybody daddy except my sister the mother, she calls her "eyo" as in "hello" for some reason.
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Kimoni: 4:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
Whoever! All join wink
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Aminat508(f): 4:39pm On Apr 15, 2016
Kimoni:
Whoever! All join wink
iya ibeji kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by Kimoni: 9:43pm On Apr 15, 2016
Aminat508:
iya ibeji kiss kiss

cheesy cheesy receive it my darling wink

I will come and do omugwo for you kiss
Re: Who Does A Baby Learn To Call First- Daddy Or Mummy; And Why by tobodex(m): 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2016
tobodex:

My daughter at 13months is seriously shouting "Daddy" because she heard it from her elder brother... smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife And Facebook / Nigerian Spouse Matchmakers / Can Someone Help Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.