Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,214 members, 7,825,808 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits (3433 Views)

Know The English Names Of Naija Dishes & Snacks / 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name / Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by guyXander(m): 9:37am On Mar 20, 2016
Many a time, I’ve paid tribute to the inherent creativity and ingenuity of Nigerians.
Nigerians are so creative that rather than find out the English names of certain fruits, they have either stuck with the traditional name or invented a new name for said fruit. Here are common examples:

1. Tropical Almonds
The tropical almond can be found in many parts of Southern Nigeria. But Nigerians definitely don’t bother calling it tropical almond. This delicious fruit is referred to as “fruit”.

Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by guyXander(m): 9:38am On Mar 20, 2016
2. Black Velvet Tamarind
To undertake a fruitless (in both senses) market search, you only have to keep asking for “black velvet tamarind”. If you’re interested in enjoying the sweet-tart goodness of this fruit, please forget your “shakara” and call it “lickie lickie” like everyone else.

Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by guyXander(m): 9:39am On Mar 20, 2016
3. Tiger Nuts
The name “Tiger nut” is yet to stick to this sweet root from Northern Nigeria. Tiger nut is called its traditional name in various parts of the country; Ofio in the Southwest, Aki Hausa in the Southeast and Aya in the North.

Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by merits(m): 9:39am On Mar 20, 2016
d golden stripe seed

Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by guyXander(m): 9:39am On Mar 20, 2016
4. African Star Apple
Try searching for African star apple on Google and watch the search engine struggle to come up with results. But search for “Agbalumo” and watch Google turn to superstar with numerous results. This is because Nigerians know this fruit as Agbalumo in south west, cherry in warri and udala in south east and not as the African Star Apple.

Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by guyXander(m): 9:42am On Mar 20, 2016
Lalasticlala did you know? grin
Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by guyXander(m): 9:44am On Mar 20, 2016
merits:
d golden stripe seed
Oga u stole my ftc cry
Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by guyXander(m): 9:48am On Mar 20, 2016
Re: I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 9:59am On Mar 20, 2016
shocked I thought "Cherry" was the English name cry

Meanwhile

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kunu Recipe / Yes! It Is A Cake! / Attn: Amakaone Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.