Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,887 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . (1681 Views)

Is 2.5D Curved Glass Just Another Marketing Gimmick / Charging A New Bought Phone / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Electronzeez(m): 7:32pm On Mar 20, 2016
When you plug your phone in, a certain amount of power flows in from the outlet, through the charger, to your phone. Your phone includes a built-in regulator to prevent pumping too much power into the battery and frying it. So, right off the bat, how fast your phone can charge is limited by what its internal regulators allow.

not all chargers are created equal. The charger block that came with your device is probably rated to the device you bought, but if you're charging through, say, USB, your device might charge slower if it's not putting out enough power. For example, huawei media pad 10.1inch charger (S10-231u, at least), puts out 2.0amps at 5V. However, a typical USB 2.0 port will charge at 0.5 amps. If your phone can handle anything above 0.5 amps (which it probably can), then a USB port will charge it more slowly than the charger that came with your device. Even without branded "quick chargers", some chargers can fill your battery faster than others.

You can think of this a bit like a bouncer at a bar. If the bar has a capacity of fifty people and the bouncer lets in one person every three minutes, the bar will be at capacity in about two and a half hours. Regardless of how many people are waiting outside, the bouncer won't let more than one person every three minutes in, so it can't ever fill up faster than that. However, if fewer than fifty people show up in two and a half hours, it will take longer for the bar to fill up. You can't ever decrease the minimum amount of time it takes to fill the bar, but you can increase it if the initial input is too low

When you're using a Quick Charge 2.0 device, all you're really doing is opening the door a little wider to let more power in. As established earlier, the regulator inside your phone only allows so much power in at a time. Quick Charge devices allow more than your typical chargers, without damaging the battery. So, while an older device might only support a 5 volt, 1 amp charger, Quick Charge devices can use a 9 volt, 2 amp charger.
Quick chargers can generate more heat. The more power you push through a device, the more stress it puts on a battery and the more heat it generates. While Quick Charge devices are built to be safe, they can still get quite hot. For the last two days, I've tested the Nexus 6 Charger Each time I used the charger, it got considerably hotter than it would from the normal charger. While this isn't catastrophic, excessive heat isn't exactly good for the long-term health of your phone, either. Then again, neither is leaving your phone on the charger all night long.
The effect tapers off about halfway through.

Some manufacturers have a nasty habit of overstating the effect of quick chargers. While Qualcomm states that its Quick Charge tech can fill a battery to 60% in 30 minutes, it can take an hour or more to finish the other 40%. The reason, again, has to do with the regulator. Once a battery starts filling up, the regulator needs to find new cells to place power and avoid overcharging the cells. Think of it like a water balloon. You can turn a hose on nearly full blast at the start, but if you don't slow down as it fills up, the balloon will burst

Here's what all this techo jargon boils down to: using quick chargers on supported devices are better than your existing phone chargers. In fact, they're such an obvious incremental step forward, they'll probably be standard in a couple years. Calling them quick chargers is a marketing gimmick, but what they do isn't. If you have a supported phone and the right charger, you can charge your phone faster than before .
However, in their current state, quick chargers can potentially reduce the long-term life of your battery if used too often

http://lifehacker.com/charge-your-phone-in-half-the-time-quick-chargers-expl-1682276989

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Tallesty1(m): 7:41pm On Mar 20, 2016
I love this

2 Likes

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by paragon40(m): 7:54pm On Mar 20, 2016
Well said

1 Like

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by kreemzo1(m): 7:56pm On Mar 20, 2016
Nice analysis

2 Likes

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Rafob(m): 7:57pm On Mar 20, 2016
op this is a very good write up thank you

2 Likes

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by bigtt76(f): 8:01pm On Mar 20, 2016
Quick charge is not for all phones or battery capacity. Works best for batteries from 4000mah and above. These are the ones that take time to charge using normal chargers.

1 Like

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Electronzeez(m): 8:39pm On Mar 20, 2016
bigtt76:
Quick charge is not for all phones or battery capacity. Works best for batteries from 4000mah and above. These are the ones that take time to charge using normal chargers.

You are correct , you just might need your quick charger when at the office you have been using your phone without charging it all day , 20 minute to the closing time you realise this . quick charger would give you a 60% percent boost that can last till you get home .

It is important to note that if your phone is pre-design 5v 1.0amp using a 5v ,1.8 or 2amp will kill the cell of your battery faster .
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by bigtt76(f): 8:54pm On Mar 20, 2016
I've always used a 5v/2A charger without issues on a pre-designed 5v/1.0A undecided

Electronzeez:

You are correct , you just might need your quick charger when at the office you have been using your phone without charging it all day , 20 minute to the closing time you realise this . quick charger would give you a 60% percent boost that can last till you get home .

It is important to note that if your phone is pre-design 5v 1.0amp using a 5v ,1.8 or 2amp will kill the cell of your battery faster .
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Nobody: 8:54pm On Mar 20, 2016
This is educative, but i love the quick charge on my galaxy s6. It comes in handy when u forget to charge ur phone overnight and u are getting ready for work and found out u only have 20% battery. U can charge from 20- 80% while u are having breakfast. Isn't that wonderful? Agreed it makes the phone a little bit hot but phone manufacturers make this phones to withstand such heat. I don't see any problem here provided u use the recdomended chargers.

2 Likes

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Electronzeez(m): 9:09pm On Mar 20, 2016
bigtt76:
I've always used a 5v/2A charger without issues on a pre-designed 5v/1.0A undecided

The effect is not instantaneous and might not be noticeable by you , but surely it hasten your battery cycle .
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Electronzeez(m): 9:15pm On Mar 20, 2016
greenhulk:
This is educative, but i I've the quick charge on my galaxy s6. It comes in handy when u forget tonxhathe ur phone overnight and u are getting ready for work and found out u only have 20% battery. U can charge from 20- 80% while ubare having breakfast. Isn't that wonderful? Agreed it makes the phone a little bit hot but phone manufacturers make this phones to withstand such heat. I don't see any problem here provided u use the recdomended chargers.

Good points but imagine a fast charge all through the night .
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 20, 2016
Electronzeez:

Good points but imagine a fast charge all through the night .

Actually phone manufacturers are getting wiser. The galaxy s7 has a toggle to turn off fast charging when u don't need it. So if u want to charge overnight u turn it off, and turn it on when u need that quick boost like u have a 15 minutes coffee break and ur phone is on 15%, with quick charge u can get ur phone to 50% in 15 mins. And for the galaxy s6 that doesn't have the toggle, it is as simple as using any other charger that is not quick charge to charge ur phone overnight at normal speed. It is a win win situation.

2 Likes

Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Electronzeez(m): 9:37pm On Mar 20, 2016
greenhulk:

Actually phone manufacturers are getting wiser. The galaxy s7 has a toggle to turn off fast charging when u don't need it. So if u want to charge overnight u turn it off, and turn it on when u need that quick boost like u have a 15 minutes coffee break and ur phone is on 15%, with quick charge u can get ur phone to 50% in 15 mins. And for the galaxy s6 that doesn't have the toggle, it is as simple as using any other charger that is not quick charge to charge ur phone overnight at normal speed. It is a win win situation.

Thanks for sharing this sir .
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by ewizard1: 11:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
Electronzeez:

The effect is not instantaneous and might not be noticeable by you , but surely it hasten your battery cycle .
Leave am make she dey bend mouth like who get convulsion.
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by ewizard1: 11:15pm On Mar 20, 2016
greenhulk:

You use the S7?
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 20, 2016
ewizard1:

You use the S7?

Nope
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by donhils: 4:14pm On Mar 21, 2016
The right topic for this post should've been "Quick charging explained" . Calling it marketing gimmick didn't quite go well with is here. Plus quick charging is actually working.
More so, there's now quick charging 3.0 (found in LG G5) that is claimed to be able to get to 83% in 30 mins.
Nice stuff if you ask me.
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Youngpo413: 8:20pm On Mar 21, 2016
Hot note /Pro charger will kill its battery ?
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 21, 2016
greenhulk:

S6 on MM has that toggle tho. U can still use ur charger but disable quick charging.
Re: 'quick Charging' A Marketing Gimmick . by joey150(m): 11:12pm On Mar 21, 2016
I would prefer they made phones consume considerably less power make them more efficient.

But its a good thing to have them charge faster.. But i think with quick charge if you still dont fully charge it..like complete the charge cycle, it would depelete faster than usual.

(1) (Reply)

Who Have Used Cyberspace LTE Network / How I Was Scammed In My Data Business In Trying To Gain Trust / Download FTS 17 MOD Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.