Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? (1652 Views)

Is Atheism Gaining Ground? / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief / Is Atheism Really This Foolish???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? by Lumiere91: 9:10pm On Mar 20, 2016
Atheism is not a doctrine;it is a cry of wrath.There are 2 kinds of atheists.
(1)the simple=persons who have read a smattering of science and conclude that there probably is no God.
(2)militant atheists=e.g communists,fascists,nazis.they do not deny the existence of God but His Essence;they challenge God.it is the very existence of God that saves them from insanity.It is the reality of God that gives them an object against which they may vent their hate............quote>Venerable archibishop Fulton.j.Sheen
Re: Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? by Richirich713: 5:07am On Mar 21, 2016
It is the Belief that God does not exist.
It is the Belief that nothing created everything.

It is the delusion that morality is a delusion.
It is the delusion that religion caused more harm than Stalin, Mao, Lenin etc.

It is the confusion that atheism means lack of believe.
It is the confusion that literally nothing is actually something.

It is the obsession with religion and how to misrepresent it.

1 Like

Re: Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? by cloudgoddess(f): 5:26am On Mar 21, 2016
This is so annoying. Stop trying to redefine atheism to suit your petty causes, it's getting tiring.

The prefix "a-" means "without", suffix "theism" means "belief in a diety or dieties". Atheism, like theism, is not a religion, it's a stance on belief. Theists can be Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Taoist, Scientologist, Hindu, etc etc, and can believe in any, or any combination of, the hundreds to thousands of gods that have been created throughout human history.

It is foolish and ignorant to collectively attribute any definitive traits to atheists other than "lacks belief in deities", just like it would be ignorant to attribute any other defining traits to theists other than "believes in a deity/deities". Not all atheists have the same values, think the same way, OR even have the same level of science education, if any at all.

What seperates a theist from an atheist is solely their stance on the existence of a diety. A theist makes the positive claim, "there is a supernatural diety of some sort that exists". An atheist does NOT make that claim. Essentially, the atheist's position is, "I have not seen sufficient proof to show that any diety exists, therefore I do not hold the belief that one exists." Extremely simple.

If you want to imagine how it feels to lack the belief in a diety, then think about how you feel when you hear the name Krishnu, Zeus, or Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nothing, right? That's what atheists feel regarding all proposed gods, including Yahweh.
Re: Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? by jayriginal: 5:35am On Mar 21, 2016
^^
I admire your tenacity in dealing with ïdiots but sooner or later you will weary of the endeavor.

It's a thankless job.

1 Like

Re: Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? by cloudgoddess(f): 5:51am On Mar 21, 2016
jayriginal:
^^
I admire your tenacity in dealing with ïdiots but sooner or later you will weary of the endeavor.

It's a thankless job.
Thank you, lol. I'm already beginning to, quite honestly.
Re: Fulton Sheen:what Is Atheism? by Richirich713: 6:17am On Mar 21, 2016
cloudgoddess:
This is so annoying. Stop trying to redefine atheism to suit your petty causes, it's getting tiring.

The prefix "a-" means "without", suffix "theism" means "belief in a diety or dieties". Atheism, like theism, is not a religion, it's a stance on belief. Theists can be Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Taoist, Scientologist, Hindu, etc etc, and can believe in any, or any combination of, the hundreds to thousands of gods that have been created throughout human history.

It is foolish and ignorant to collectively attribute any definitive traits to atheists other than "lacks belief in deities", just like it would be ignorant to attribute any other defining traits to theists other than "believes in a deity/deities". Not all atheists have the same values, think the same way, OR even have the same level of science education, if any at all.

What seperates a theist from an atheist is solely their stance on the existence of a diety. A theist makes the positive claim, "there is a supernatural diety of some sort that exists". An atheist does NOT make that claim. Essentially, the atheist's position is, "I have not seen sufficient proof to show that any diety exists, therefore I do not hold the belief that one exists." Extremely simple.

If you want to imagine how it feels to lack the belief in a diety, then think about how you feel when you hear the name Krishnu, Zeus, or Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nothing, right? That's what atheists feel regarding all proposed gods, including Yahweh.

I'm not redefining anything, it's atheists who are trying to make agnostic = atheist , they want the terms to mean the same thing.

That "I have not seen sufficient proof to show that any diety exists, therefore I do not hold the belief that one exists." is agnostic not Atheist.

An agnostic will say he doesn't know, atheist say straight out "there is no God" and that is just as much as a claim to knowledge as saying "there is a God"

As for Zeus and Krishna, I'm actually agnostic, I don't know, all I'm saying as a Christian is that Yahweh the God of the bible is the maximally greatest being.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Pastor Bisi And Yomi Adewale Live At Jogor Centre / Lovely Christmass! Check Out The Out Outfit Of Christ Embassy Chior Mistress / Why 98% Of Isrealis Do Not Believe Jesus Is The Savior - (video Interview)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.