Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,217 members, 7,815,253 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm (1644 Views)

Is NLNG The Highest Paying Oil And Gas Firm In Nigeria? / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / Lady Sacked For Not Wearing Bra To Work In US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by ezra01(m): 5:34pm On Mar 21, 2016
hi everyone, I am a graduate of mathematics and I graduated with second class upper from a federal university. I am almost through with service year.
I will like to know if I can work in an oil and gas firm with my degree. And if it is possible, I will like to know the necessary certifications and skills that would boost my chances of securing a job. a friend advised that I should go for a welding course and a safety course. please your advice is needed
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by phoenix480(m): 6:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
What job/role do you want at an Oil and Gas firm?

This will inform the skills and certifications you need.

Probably the most important soft skill you need is Networking. You should know people by now in different Oil and Gas firms. This remains the easiest way to secure a job.
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by ezra01(m): 6:51pm On Mar 21, 2016
@Phoenix thanks, I would prefer drilling engineer and as for the networking, I know some persons but they demanded I get the necessary certifications and skills.
I would appreciate it, if u can help me on this issue.
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by samuel3818: 7:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
OP, this puts us in the same shoes. I studied Civil Engineering with a 2:1 and I am rounding up my service year too. I'm supposed to start my application for an MSc at IPS Port Harcourt(I hope I am successful and offered admission at the end).

phoenix, pls what do you think?
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by samuel3818: 7:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
OP I think that puts us in about the same shoes. I studied Civil Engineering with a 2:1(was amongst the top 10 in my class). I am about rounding up my service year too (april by His grace). I am supposed to start an application for an MSc at IPS Port Harcourt (I hope I am successful amd offered admission eventually tho)...Whatever you do, I wish you the best

phoenix, you know anyone who knows much about IPS (OR perhaps you do)?
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by ezra01(m): 8:32pm On Mar 21, 2016
@ samuel, I have started applying to schools for my masters.( in maths) but I still feel I can get a job in an oil coy., only if I av a practical skill in engineering and a safety certification.
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by phoenix480(m): 7:52am On Mar 22, 2016
The IPS is the best Petroleum training school in Nigeria, you will receive a Degree jointly awarded by IFP School, France and the University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria and Professional Certification in Associate Environment Practitioners (AEP) Certification (NREP, USA).. Pre-2015 Crude Oil crash, its candidates got Oil and Gas jobs. There have been severe job cuts in the Oil and Gas jobs so things were not like before.

Nevertheless, if you gain admission ensure you graduate in the top 5% so you can be poached as Firms like TOTAL, NLNG partner IPS.

samuel3818:
OP I think that puts us in about the same shoes. I studied Civil Engineering with a 2:1(was amongst the top 10 in my class). I am about rounding up my service year too (april by His grace). I am supposed to start an application for an MSc at IPS Port Harcourt (I hope I am successful amd offered admission eventually tho)...Whatever you do, I wish you the best

phoenix, you know anyone who knows much about IPS (OR perhaps you do)?
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by phoenix480(m): 8:01am On Mar 22, 2016
If you really want to know about certifications, google IWCF Certification and IADC Certification.

Note that you cannot walk into jobs these days without experience even with certifications. I would focus on getting ANY experience in the Oil and Gas firms. This should include unpaid stints - if you are really keen to break into the Sector. Use Family Friends and the people you know as Leverage into the Sector. Pound the streets and approach smaller firms to speak to the MD/CEO.

ezra01:
@Phoenix thanks, I would prefer drilling engineer and as for the networking, I know some persons but they demanded I get the necessary certifications and skills.
I would appreciate it, if u can help me on this issue.
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by samuel3818: 8:42am On Mar 22, 2016
Thanks Phoenix........
Re: Necessary Skills And Certification Needed To Work In An Oil And Gas Firm by Rhema14(m): 7:32pm On Mar 22, 2016
I hail u all engrs. In d house.....
Here is an opportunity to enhance ur skill nd add value to urself in a competitive engr. environment .

Rhema concept offers training classes in AutoCAD 2D nd 3D...Autodesk Inventor, PDMS, SOLIDWORKS, MATLAB..

FOR those who don't know much abt solidworks nd autodesk inventor...dey ar parametric 3D CAD modeling softwares..thatis suited to design any machine, analyse it, simulate it nd also generates ur 2D orthographic nd sectn views for u without stress...its an advancement of AUTOCAD in modeling machines..
Its work is beautiful as it can also add materials nd render d machine.
U can visit us at rhema concept....suite 49, Agbowo shopping complex,opp UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN...or call or chát wth us on 07066232575.
....we offer the best of training.......

(1) (Reply)

Be A Movie Star Join Nollywood / . / Certified Professional In Supply Management [CPSM]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.