Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,379 members, 7,836,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Nigeria Has A Million Ways To Kill Business - Tony Elumelu - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Has A Million Ways To Kill Business - Tony Elumelu (542 Views)

Tony Elumelu And Akon Pictured Together Enjoying Boat Cruise In Lagos / Tony Elumelu Visits The Pyramids In Egypt (Photos) / Billionaire Tony Elumelu Spends Quality Christmas Time With His Children At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has A Million Ways To Kill Business - Tony Elumelu by Ndlistic(m): 7:41am On Mar 24, 2016
Nigerian lawmakers have been urged to pass a legislation that would make the business environment in the country more enabling for the budding entrepreneurs and stimulate growth in the economy as many laws in the country kill businesses before they are born.

According to the vice chairman of the Competitive Council, Mr Tony Elumelu, Nigerian entrepreneurs have the highest determination and best ideas but are put down by the harsh business environment.

Speaking at the National Assembly Business Environment Roundtable held in Abuja, the founder of The Tony Elumelu Foundation noted that the proper role of government, is not to provide employment for everyone, but to create, sustain and secure an enabling environment for citizens to independently create their own jobs and their success, using their own talents

Stating the need to review, amend and enhance many of the laws in the country, he said “from long registration processes and obstacles, lack of access to finance, weak infrastructure, multiple and very complicated tax liabilities, to visa requirements, we have a million ways to extinguish businesses and partnerships before they begin.”

He noted that data from the Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Program show that half of the best ideas submitted are from Nigerian entrepreneurs. “I can tell you from real data that the thirst and talent for entrepreneurship is highest in Nigeria. So far, with 498 beneficiaries (selectees) Nigerian entrepreneurs represent 50 per cent of TEF entrepreneurs because they represent 50 per cent of the best ideas submitted for consideration.

“The prayer of the private sector is that we move from talking to doing. If we make these changes, we can unlock countless jobs and opportunities in the country. I will remind you that, without spending any money, over a decade ago the federal government started issuing GSM licences.

“This revolutionised a sector that in turn unleashed countless direct and tangential jobs. I believe we can achieve something similar by passing other pieces of legislation like land use reform, to enable people sitting on valuable land asset, to own, monetise and collateralise it to get access to capital to start or grow their business,” he stated. So, let us go about the business of doing, so that our entrepreneurs can go about their own business.

http://www.ndubuisiude..com.ng/2016/03/nigeria-has-million-ways-to-kill.html?m=1

Cc: Lalasticlala

Re: Nigeria Has A Million Ways To Kill Business - Tony Elumelu by mohisd(m): 7:49am On Mar 24, 2016
We hope they pass the bill
Re: Nigeria Has A Million Ways To Kill Business - Tony Elumelu by nnachukz(m): 7:50am On Mar 24, 2016
I don't like this, say Buhari has a million way of killing business in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Has A Million Ways To Kill Business - Tony Elumelu by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 24, 2016
You can say that again Sir. May God help us.
Re: Nigeria Has A Million Ways To Kill Business - Tony Elumelu by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 24, 2016
I have come to respect this tycoon so much...i promise to be better than him.

(1) (Reply)

Another Midnight Fire Razes Market In Kano / Social /digital Media Expert Needed To Handle A Transport Company / Here Comes 500k Monthly Visitors To Your Website,blog,forums Or Any Link.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.