Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,917 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Curry Chicken - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Curry Chicken (6548 Views)

Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice / Coconut Curry Chicken With Step-by-step Pictures / Sumptuous Yummy Delicious Curry Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Curry Chicken by tobeto: 6:50pm On Jul 24, 2009
hi all.pls can amaka or anyone give me the recipe for curry chicken.thanks and God bless
Re: Curry Chicken by Fhemmmy: 8:55pm On Jul 24, 2009
Go and talk to the jamo babes and they will show u how to make it real and live
Re: Curry Chicken by Nobody: 1:11am On Jul 25, 2009
This recipe should take no more than 1 hr
From www.foodnetwork.com. Check the site out for more Nigerian recipe wink

Ingredients
5 cloves garlic
One 3-inch chunk peeled, fresh ginger
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 heaping teaspoon whole cloves
10 green cardamom pods
8 whole allspice
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 bay leaf
1 medium yellow onion
2 teaspoons Madras-style curry powder
1/2 jalapeno, or more to taste
3 pounds mixed skinless, bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks (separated)
1/2 cup whole, peeled, canned tomatoes (with puree), roughly chopped
2 cups cold water
Serving suggestion: Basmati rice and chutney
Directions
In a small food processor (mini-chopper), combine the garlic and ginger and puree to a paste.

Heat the oil in a stew pot or Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Add the cloves, cardamom, allspice, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf and cook, stirring constantly, until dark and fragrant and the cinnamon stick unfurls, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic-ginger paste, curry powder, and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 1 minute.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the tomato and chicken and cook, stirring, until the oil begin to separate and there is a distinctive crackling sound as the ingredients "re-fry" in the oil, about 6 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring, until the chicken is lightly browned, about 7 minutes more.

Add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and stew for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and tender and the liquid thickens into a sauce, about 30 minutes more. Transfer chicken curry to a serving bowl and serve with rice and chutney

Re: Curry Chicken by chiogo(f): 1:27am On Jul 25, 2009
TOPE2000!:

lolz its actually called chicken curry not curry chicken grin
LOL really? I've always heard curry chicken.

@poster, well, there you have it!
Re: Curry Chicken by tobeto: 1:33am On Jul 25, 2009
Thanks a lot.i actually tot curry powder is wat is used dat gives it dat color.so where does d name come from?.Thanks anyways
Re: Curry Chicken by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 25, 2009
tobeto:

Thanks a lot.i actually tot curry powder is wat is used dat gives it dat color.so where does d name come from?.Thanks anyways
If they name every food they add curry to, you've have heard of curry rice by now cheesy
Re: Curry Chicken by mamagee3(f): 6:39pm On Jul 25, 2009
Go and eat your chicken.
Re: Curry Chicken by rubi(f): 9:31pm On Jul 25, 2009
Also add bunrt sugar to brown it a little b/c adding too much will make it taste bitter
Re: Curry Chicken by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 25, 2009
rubi:

Also add bunrt sugar to brown it a little b/c adding too much will make it taste bitter
Why not add brown sugar? shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Curry Chicken by rubi(f): 4:18am On Jul 28, 2009
FL Gators:

Why not add brown sugar? shocked lipsrsealed
Brown sugar is for tea while burnt sugar is kind of gravy but a little bit bitter. It is pure black in color
Re: Curry Chicken by Nobody: 4:20am On Jul 28, 2009
rubi:

Brown sugar is for tea while burnt sugar is kind of gravy but a little bit bitter. It is pure black in color
Beware: The next questions might sound stupid.

1. Can you buy the burnt sugar off the shelf
2. If not, how do you burn the sugar?
Re: Curry Chicken by rubi(f): 4:23am On Jul 28, 2009
FL Gators:

Yes you can buy it off the shelf
It has been processed already for use all you have to do is purchase it and use
Re: Curry Chicken by Nobody: 4:25am On Jul 28, 2009
rubi:

Yes you can buy it off the shelf
It has been processed already for use all you have to do is purchase it and use
Okiez dokiez, thanks. (adds to grocery list)

I might try out the recipe this weekend sef
Re: Curry Chicken by savanaha: 4:36am On Jul 28, 2009
FL Gators:

Buying burnt brown sugar is basically buying molasses. I usually burn the sugar by putting some sugar in a tin can and then leaving on the gas. Brown sugar burns because of the molasses in it whereas white sugar turns to syrup.

TOPE2000!:

lolz its actually called chicken curry not curry chicken grin

The Jamaican dish is called curry chicken and the Indian one is chicken curry. The way Jamaicans make curry chicken is different from the Indian recipe, funnily. I watched a lot of videos on the Indian recipe and having grown up in Jamaica, there are differences in the two recipes. The Nigerian recipe is more similar to the Indian recipe in terms of making look more like a stew than a thick rich gravey.
Re: Curry Chicken by mamag3: 5:25pm On Aug 03, 2009
I don't know.
Re: Curry Chicken by xoxoxo(f): 3:13am On Aug 04, 2009
mama-g:

I don't know.
Dude, is that all u can say?
Re: Curry Chicken by cremebrule: 5:24am On Aug 07, 2009
Here's my version of the dish. Its simple and easy to prepare.

Garlic, Onion, Ginger, curry powder (enough to cover a whole chicken)
Whole Chicken, cut up
potatoes (helps to thicken the sauce and balances the curry)
carrots (has sugar content that sweetens the dish)
can of coconut milk
Schezuan or Jalapeno Peppers (optional)

Saute garlic, onion, ginger, curry powder. Place cut up chicken and mix well. Add 2 cups of water, simmer for 45 minutes. Add cut up carrots, potatoes and coconut milk (semi-freeze) simmer until the sauce thickens.  Serve over rice and cucumber salad.
Re: Curry Chicken by mamagee6(f): 12:29am On Sep 01, 2009
Curry Chicken stinks.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Prepare Sauce / Recipe For Chapman / Grilled Barbeques with Solar Chops (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.