Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,195 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports (1226 Views)

Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It / Dangote Opens One-stop Shop In Onitsha / Dangote Opens Tomato Factory In Kano To Vie With Chinese Imports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by fulanimafia: 2:40pm On Mar 25, 2016
The Dangote Group, owned by Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, has opened a tomato-processing factory near Nigeria’s northern city of Kano aimed at vying for the local market with imports from China.

“We have fully started operations today and the target is 1,200 metric tons per day,” the managing director of Dangote Farms Limited, which runs the plant, Abdulkareem Kaita, said Tuesday in an interview with Bloomberg.

“We are going to work with the farmers, they can afford to produce more because there’s a processing factory and they don’t have to suffer losses like they did before.”

The plant that will produce 1,200 metric tons per day was built following a 2011 Central Bank of Nigeria study that showed it was cheaper to process tomato paste locally than import from China, the source of about 300,000 tons a year worth $360 million.

Yet the country produces 1.5 million tons of tomatoes annually of which about 900,000 tons rot, according to the Agriculture Ministry.

Dangote’s facility will produce more than 400,000 tons of paste annually, with most of its raw material coming from farmers in the Kadawa Valley in Kano state.

Farmers will receive a guaranteed price of about $700 per ton compared to an average of less than $350 now, according to estimates by the central bank, which helped organise the farmers and arrange credit from banks.

The Dangote Group owns businesses including cement plants, flour mills, fruit canning plants, palm oil refineries, salt and oil assets.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/03/16/dangote-opens-tomato-factory-to-vie-with-chinese-imports/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2016/03/17/africas-richest-man-aliko-dangote-opens-tomato-factory/#1b112ebc2739

Cc: Seun Mynd44 Lalasticlala

Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by ItzTun3chi(m): 2:45pm On Mar 25, 2016
Nice Move.We Really Need To Stop Excessive Reliance On China And Be Self Sufficient
Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by freshvine(f): 2:57pm On Mar 25, 2016
There's an igbo man manufacturing from Ogun State. The vindictive hausa fulanis leadership should stop misleading the consumer public with the emotional "heading" as a ground for Dangote into the tomato manufacturing business.

I just hope they don't frustrate the igbo man with unfavorable taxation to give Dangote a monolithic advantage

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by 2sexynet: 3:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
freshvine:
There's an igbo man manufacturing from Ogun State. The vindictive hausa fulanis leadership should stop misleading the consumer public with the emotional "heading" as a ground for Dangote into the tomato manufacturing business.

I just hope they don't frustrate the igbo man with unfavorable taxation to give Dangote a monolithic advantage
Madam, this is just excuse. Why don't he solicit for support from fellow Igbos or bring more investors to help expand?

You guys should stop all these "They are preventing us from growing" attitude. Life is survival of the fittest.

Who told you that Dangote is the sole operator of all his companies? He is just the face... There are big dogs backing him and investing with him. The igbos should do same.

I am igbo myself but I can't keep quiet while you people keep spreading the blame game all over nairaland on everythread

4 Likes

Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by McCarlito(m): 3:05pm On Mar 25, 2016
To be a farmer is a way to be in good graces with the Daura President
Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by Greyworld: 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2016
2sexynet:
Madam, this is just excuse. Why don't he solicit for support from fellow Igbos or bring more investors to help expand?

You guys should stop all these "They are preventing us from growing" attitude. Life is survival of the fittest.

Who told you that Dangote is the sole operator of all his companies? He is just the face... There are big dogs backing him and investing with him. The igbos should do same.

I am igbo myself but I can't keep quiet while you people keep spreading the blame game all over nairaland on everythread

#Istandwithyou on this one bro, there is something called partnership. With others in the business he gets more Fund, publicity and ideas.
Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 25, 2016
like that
Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by mamaafrik(m): 4:36pm On Mar 25, 2016
If dangote could just design affordable means helping farmers to do away with bird,he can just come up with rice threshin and production too .
Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by freshvine(f): 5:36pm On Mar 25, 2016
2sexynet:

Are you aware that Dangote can access forex direct from the CBN but other operators can't except from the open market?

Have you ask why IBETO cement is suffering economic strangulation?

Do you know that there's a Refinery in Anambra named ORIENT but the government hardly give concession to it but waiting for Dangote to build one in Lagos?

Are you aware that privatization doesn't include igbo businessmen not to talk of selling government assets to them?

How many nationalised company in Nigeria is controlled by an igbo man?

If you're born in the 90s definitely you're suffering from society inflicted propaganda but if you're born in the 80s quote me let come to an understanding

2 Likes

Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by 2sexynet: 5:49pm On Mar 25, 2016
mamaafrik:
If dangote could just design affordable means helping farmers to do away with bird,he can just come up with rice threshin and production too .
lol... you don't seem to know this man. Dangote is a MOVING train on high speed. He has numerous projects in the pipeline, including coal minning.

I wish he could just take over Ajakuta Steal company

1 Like

Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by 2sexynet: 5:51pm On Mar 25, 2016
freshvine:

Are you aware that Dangote can access forex direct from the CBN but other operators can't except from the open market?

Do you know that there's a Refinery in Anambra named ORIENT but the government hardly give concession to it but waiting for Dangote to build one in Lagos?

Are you aware that privatization doesn't include igbo businessmen not to talk of selling government assets to them?

If you're born in the 90s definitely you're suffering from society inflicted propaganda but if you're born in the 80s quote me let come to an understanding

As for IBETO and others, they had better start doing what Dangote did. In this country holy holy no carry u go anywhere. Become friends with politicians. It's they forward.
Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by mavinc4u(f): 6:15pm On Mar 25, 2016
freshvine:

Babe I spread my scarf for you. You are so on point. It has been like this from on set but everything will end just one day, a day unknown to us but known to God alone.
Re: Aliko Dangote Opens Tomato Factory To Tackle Chinese Imports by mavinc4u(f): 6:17pm On Mar 25, 2016
2sexynet:

As for IBETO and others, they had better start doing what Dangote did. In this country holy holy no carry u go anywhere. Become friends with politicians. It's they forward.

And you think others are not friend with politicians. Is a Nigeria thing of some animals been more equal than others.

(1) (Reply)

Poultry Seeking Eggs Distributors/marketers/suppliers / Aliko Dangote Need To See This Drawing Mnd Blowing / A Mini Super Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.