Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows (4490 Views)

. / Cleandesktop Full Version Open Source Released / [b]Any body with a simple understanding of open source?[/b] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by adedolapo4(m): 8:29am On Apr 14, 2016
larisoft:
Recently, I realized that everytime I recharged my modem, I used just 70 percent of my data. The remaining 30 percent was usually guzzled by background processes downloading and uploading content useless to me.

Thats why I had to make this application. The, app, titled " This Nonsense Must Stop", kills any process...any process at all... that tampers with my data in the background.

You can add exceptions i.e. programs you dont want the app to close, and you can remove them when you want too.

The program, like all my other apps is completely free and open source and free of adverts (I hate that shit).

It was implemented in C# (Just because I targeted windows machines and again, c# is kinda cool), so if you know the language, you can head over to github, and do what you will mercifully with the code.

Thanks everyone. User response is gold...

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by adedolapo4(m): 8:30am On Apr 14, 2016
larisoft:
Recently, I realized that everytime I recharged my modem, I used just 70 percent of my data. The remaining 30 percent was usually guzzled by background processes downloading and uploading content useless to me.

Thats why I had to make this application. The, app, titled " This Nonsense Must Stop", kills any process...any process at all... that tampers with my data in the background.

You can add exceptions i.e. programs you dont want the app to close, and you can remove them when you want too.

The program, like all my other apps is completely free and open source and free of adverts (I hate that shit).

It was implemented in C# (Just because I targeted windows machines and again, c# is kinda cool), so if you know the language, you can head over to github, and do what you will mercifully with the code.

Thanks everyone. User response is gold...

Sup boss. I downloaded your app and sharperly installed it on my old machine running windows 7. I also sharperly connect am to my phone's hotspot say make I dey flex o, cos na this undergound data chopping prevent me to dey use my laptop dey browse. I expected the app to display the list of those annoying apps consuming my data, but no be so o.
I also launched my mozilla firefox thinking may be the underground data chopping app are yet to surface. I constantly got messages from firefox requesting to close the 'more than one tab' opened, and I also constantly rejected it. after about 30 mins of flexing na so I disconnect am o, as Glo sef no gree make I check my data balance. As I come wan shutdown the machine na so I see say the thing don download updates anyhow! it took it about 15 mins before it was able to shut down.
Abeg shey the app any minimum requirements for the laptop ni, cos I really need this app.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by blenyo11(m): 9:07am On Apr 14, 2016
This is a nice one My Oga. But please reconsider the name as fast as possible as I want to see this app on millions of machine
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 4:16pm On Apr 14, 2016
adedolapo4:

Sup boss. I downloaded your app and sharperly installed it on my old machine running windows 7. I also sharperly connect am to my phone's hotspot say make I dey flex o, cos na this undergound data chopping prevent me to dey use my laptop dey browse. I expected the app to display the list of those annoying apps consuming my data, but no be so o.
I also launched my mozilla firefox thinking may be the underground data chopping app are yet to surface. I constantly got messages from firefox requesting to close the 'more than one tab' opened, and I also constantly rejected it. after about 30 mins of flexing na so I disconnect am o, as Glo sef no gree make I check my data balance. As I come wan shutdown the machine na so I see say the thing don download updates anyhow! it took it about 15 mins before it was able to shut down.
Abeg shey the app any minimum requirements for the laptop ni, cos I really need this app.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 5:50pm On Apr 14, 2016
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 5:50pm On Apr 14, 2016
Am really grateful for how far this has spread and thought you guys should know that this app is currently being upgraded to incorporate the new features demanded by esteemed users.

The new version amongst other things Will be

1. Very fast: This Will be achieved by preventing repeat messages and closing all background data apps without allowing for 'are you sure dialogs'.

2. Less obtrusive. A widget Will be used to control it now... Not a window....

3. Better ui

4. Notification sounds.

5. Many more...

Pls watch out for it.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 15, 2016
Oga larisoft (you don turn my oga be that o), i am just seeing this thread now, this is very good o.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 8:45am On Apr 15, 2016
dhtml18:
Oga larisoft (you don turn my oga be that o), i am just seeing this thread now, this is very good o.

Mmm... Dhtml? Na heavy endorsement be this ooo. Thank u my brother ooo
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 7:08pm On Apr 16, 2016
If you are having any problems with "This Nonsense Must Stop", the first version, like all software had issues which have been fixed in this new release.

Some of them were
1. Some background data programs were not completely closed. This version closes every program that sucks data in the background forcefully except you add it as an exception. It is a touch and die situation.

2. heavy memory usage meant the first version could slow down some systems. This version is as light as it is agile both in size and in performance. You wont even notice its there.

3. There are background data programs that if closed, affect the core functionality of windows systems. Rather than closing them, this version blocks their connections.

If you downloaded the first version, please uprgrade now to this version. If you have not started using "This Nonsense Must Stop", download it now and reclaim your system from the hundreds of applications phoning home 24/7 in the background at the expense of your precious data.

Depending on whether your .net framework version is upto date, you may have to install .NET Framework 3.5 or above for this program to run but I assure you, it is worth it.

new Downlaod link: https://github.com/larisoft/ThisNonsenseMustStop/releases/download/secondrelease/thisnonsensemuststop.zip

Source code : https://github.com/larisoft/ThisNonsenseMustStop/

Thanks, guys.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google Code Jam Contest 2013 / Please I Need Your Advice / Asp.net Mvc4 Help!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.