Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

A Must Read Story: The Prodigal Son - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Must Read Story: The Prodigal Son (484 Views)

Bible Parable And Sermon: The Prodigal Son and what it really means / The Prodigal Son - Jack Kelley / The Far Country Effect. ( The Story Of The Prodigal Son Luke 15:11-16) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Must Read Story: The Prodigal Son by rexben(m): 5:56pm On Mar 26, 2016
11 Then Jesus said, "A man had two sons. 12 The younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of the estate that will belong to me.' So he divided his assets between them. 13 After a few days, the younger son gathered together all he had and left on a journey to a distant country, and there he squandered his wealth with a wild lifestyle. 14 Then after he had spent everything, a severe famine took place in that country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and worked for one of the citizens of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He was longing to eat the carob pods the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. 17 But when he came to his senses he said, 'How many of my father's hired workers have food enough to spare, but here I am dying from hunger! 18 I will get up and go to my father and say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired workers."' 20 So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way from home his father saw him, and his heart went out to him; he ran and hugged his son and kissed him. 21 Then his son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' 22 But the father said to his slaves, 'Hurry! Bring the best robe, and put it on him! Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet! 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it! Let us eat and celebrate, 24 because this son of mine was dead, and is alive again - he was lost and is found!' So they began to celebrate.
Luke 15:11-24.
I know this story is a familiar story to virtually everyone. The prodigal son story is a parable Jesus gave to explain about the kingdom.
According to the parable,
God -the father
Prodigal son -the people of the world,
Servants -the angels,
Famine -situations that God creates to make the earth uncomfortable so that you can think of uniting back with God,
Wealth -scheme created by the devil to make you comfortable on this earth and never to think of Home,uniting back with your father,
The far country -the world,planet earth.
The Father(God) wants us to come home. He is always looking out for our return. He won't force you. One unique thing God created with man was THE POWER TO MAKE CHOICE.
As his father never forced the prodigal son to come home,God wont force. Your willingness is the only thing that can take you home.
In this world,there are many distractions to make you remain on this earth. The devil is working tirelessly to make you to choose this earth over heaven,your home. God also presents opportunities to you reminding you of home. Firstly,He sent Jesus and after that He also sent the Holy ghost to teach you and guide you into all truth.
Your response to life determines your willingness to go home. No wonder, Jesus said that For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Matt 16:25.
There are many programs and research men has undergone and undergoing to save their life in this world.
In every decision you make,you either choose to LOSE YOUR LIFE IN THIS WORLD OR SAVE IT.
Every situation you find your self is always orchestrated to choose whether TO SAVE OR LOSE YOUR LIFE IN THIS WORLD.
For Jesus He was tempted to save His at every point in time. He was tempted by the devil to save His life. The devil asked Jesus to save His life by turning stone to bread because He was hungry.
He was tempted when Peter said He was not going to die. From that time on Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and experts in the law, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.
Matt 16:21
He also tempted Him at the cross, when He was asked to save Himself. They said, He saved other people and He can't save Himself.
In order to gain eternal life you must lose your life in this world.
Did you know why Jesus rebuke Peter? It was because Jesus wanted to go home and be united with His Father. Something He has being longing for. Peter wanted Him not to return to His Father,He wanted Him to be comfortable on this earth.
Peter also wanted Jesus to save His life,continuing living on this earth. But Jesus taught us to lose our lifes in this world.
For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Matt 16:25.
WEALTH. The most important and effective tool used by the devil to make people comfortable on earth. No wonder,Jesus said you can't serve God and mammon(money,wealth). He also asked us not to lay up treasures where moth can destroy and thieves can break in(laying up treasures on earth) but rather lay up your treasures in heaven(your home). No wonder,Jesus encouraged the poor,He never castigated them,His ministry was even to the poor Luke 4:18
Then he looked up at his disciples and said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God belongs to you.
Luke 6:20
I plead with you today to lose your life in this world. Pls love God and ne homesick. How will you be comfortable on this earth,God is waiting for your return.
Before heaven can be your home,you must first believe in God and Jesus His son He sent. And also continue in His words/teachings and accept His words like a little child.
Where you can find His words. In Matthew,Mark,Luke and John only and not in the book of revelation.
Re: A Must Read Story: The Prodigal Son by rexben(m): 10:37am On Apr 30, 2016
We are to hate out lives in this world as the prodigal son hated his life in the far country

(1) (Reply)

God Is Softening The Heart Of The Person That Is To Help You Right Now. / , "The Crucifixion Death Like Jesus Experienced Is 'medical Catastrophe'".. / Calm Down, But Don’t Back Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.