Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,517 members, 7,770,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:11 AM

Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever (23042 Views)

Top 15 Things We Used To Do In 80's/90's We Do No More / Growing Up In Nigeria: This Is How Life Was In The 90’s Vs. How Life Is Today / If You Were Born In The 90's Good But If You Weren't... (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by UrennaNkoli(f): 10:41pm On Mar 27, 2016
I was opportuned to have a taste of the 80's and 90's and I must confess the 90's still remains the best ever. In fact, anytime I remember the 90's , I feel nostalgic and wish I could roll back the hands of time grin. Many will argue that the 80's was the best decade ever, some will tell you its the 70's, some will go for the 60's, some the 50's some will even go for the 2000's grin. For me , the 90's beats these decades hands down and here goes my reasons...

THE MUSIC
The 90's was no doubt the era of good and splendid music. From hiphop to rap to soul and even rock. Just have a look at foreign masterpiece like Snoop Dogg's who am I (Whats my name), The notorious BIG Juicy, Dr dre's (Still dre), Lauryn Hill's Doo Woop ( That thang) . These were classic songs I still even listen to till today. Even coming back home to songs like Seyi Sodunmu's Love me jeje, to the Fela Kuti's, Iyogogo and many more. Unlike the crap kids listen to today grin.. I mean the davido's wizkid or wizboy whatever his name his , sean tizzle, olamide who sings like nothing but a danfo thug... Music is honestly what it ought to be and what it used to be.

The politics
Oh this was a great era of politics both home and abroad. You turn on your transistor only to hear of a coup attempted by Major Gideon Orka, or one by Gen Sani Abacha, or the MKO Abiola saga and lots more. Newspaper were more fun to read then, any beer palour you go then, it was 90% sure it will be politics they are arguing about grin. Unlike today, all we read on the news is about an accident that happened on and expressway or Buhari travelling to china for one meeting grin, Obasanjo this, yar' adua that. Politics is going down the drain in today's Nigeria. Even crossing boarders and going foreign, you hear of the Rodney King verdict and L.A. riots tear the nation apart, OJ Simpson chase, Bill Clinton, and thousands more. Comm'on , this was an era that can never be rivaled .

The Movies
Titanic, The good fellas, The lion king, con air, brave heart, dumb and dumber, My own private Idaho, white men can't jump, Billie Madison... Time can't just permit me to mention them all. Even Nigerian movies were classical then. I still have collection of movies like living in bondage, Nneka the pretty serpent, blood money, issakaba, domitila and lots more. Today, I am extremely ashamed of Nollywood as it can be very embarrassing to watch. All they do now is knockbusters with little funds with the aim of making useless profit. You see films in Nollywood of today like spidergirl[img]http://2.bp..com/-l6Hz7fw876c/VcnOFXAU0QI/AAAAAAAAAP4/0t007qTIN8Q/s320/spider%2Bgirl.jpg[/img] grin,. I recently saw a movie one day titled ''I Want To Suck Your Blood''. I really laughed out loud. Nollywood is going down the drain.

The Fashion
Nothing just beats the fashion of the 90's. From the Alexander McQueen spring of 1997 to the Azzedine Alaïa shows of 1991 to calvin klein spring 1994 to the Balenciaga spring. The afro hair styles people carry about just blended with the atmosphere. Even here in Nigeria, fashion was at its peak and its best. People like Miss Sade Thomas, the great fashion designer were awesome .

The Education
You can't argue with me that the quality of education of this era wasn't at its best. Although I must confess this started from era beyond. Today, we see young Nigerians wriggling their way through the university just to earn a degree. Many parents don't even care about their children's future anymore. They rather prefer to see them in the streets hawking pepper and okra and make money for them .

The Technology
The 90's really was an era of technology that really changed our lives for good. These technologies really layed the platform for today's technology From the walkman, to the nintendo's gameboy, to kids cruising around in barbie jeeps to pagers (I honestly prefer this to cell phones grin) also, who will ever forget the ever green play station 1, Apples Imac G3 Comm' on,

The Sports
The 90's was obviously an era of great sport moments. From basketball, to cricket, to boxing , athletics etc Who will ever forget the '94 olympics where Nigeria clinched gold, soccer for example also saw the establishment of many great players like Gheorghe Hagi, Rivaldo, Ze roberto, Van Basten, lotar Mathaus, Baggio, Ronaldo, Figo, Romario and lots more. Even on our home turf, we had the likes of yekini, Kanu George Finidi and co. They made football ore fun to watch unlike the Mikels, Iwobi's of today

The Slang
The 90's was an er of slangs. I just can mention them all.... grin 'Sup, b Bangin'/Slammin Crib ,Bama ,Ghetto, Shiznit, Whassup...Time just can't permit me to mention them all.

I tasted both the 80's and 90's and I must confess its just the best decade ever. Far better than the 80's, 70's 60's 50's and beyond. Even better than the 2000's for our newer generation of kids grin

Feel free to add yours.

175 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by alfonso36(m): 10:52pm On Mar 27, 2016
Bros you make me dey think back now!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Miracle4Sure: 10:53pm On Mar 27, 2016
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Ewizard(m): 11:10pm On Mar 27, 2016
wen men were boys... cry

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Mishydoo(m): 11:14pm On Mar 27, 2016
Lesser makeup...Now all girls are masquerades

127 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Larryhoover(m): 11:22pm On Mar 27, 2016
That was a lot of good memories back then unlike the crap which is the order of the day nowadays.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by ojibole1(m): 11:32pm On Mar 27, 2016
This is so on point..especially the music and fashion cos these days it's more of rubbish that's been sung and there's too much skinny jeans,nudity rather than decency...btw I still hv a collection of my 90's music

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by fuckshit: 11:39pm On Mar 27, 2016
fυςking good old days grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Nobody: 12:59am On Mar 28, 2016
Only d music part make sense. Op hope say u don marry.

6 Likes

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
I smell FP from lalasticlala..
The girls... in the 80's and 90's you could get any girl of your choice with just a handful of suya. In todays 2000's, if you never carry her go KFC, cinema, beach or buy beta phone or ride for her she nor go gree grin.. The music, fashion tech , nightlife of the 90's was so on point..

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by siegfried99(m): 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
As in ehn grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by popcykaylah(m): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
grin old skoool rocks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by candidbabe(f): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
G
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Fiwasayo(f): 2:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
Life was so much easier then smiley

5 Likes

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Sunnycliff(m): 2:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
Indomie and custard generation won't understand nor appreciate this!
Unfortunately 70% of them make up this NL

21 Likes

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Barayeks(m): 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
cool
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by VickyRotex(f): 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
grin tongue

UrennaNkoli:

lolz see mumu sha.. when kids don't like reading no longer....I even stated in my post in my post i tasted both the 80's and 90's ...I was born in 1981, where were u then?

What's wrong with you? Was my post referring to you?
I was even in support of your post.

I was making jest of people who werent born in the 90's. Please learn to think.

I dont exchange words with people so I'll let your insults slide.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by ChappyChase: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
I was born in the 90s
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by mallamseifaldin(m): 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
Then nothing like HIV/AIDS..........it was done
SKIN 2 SKIN.....You can date as many ladies as u wish. But now .........SMH

Life was so sweet then....

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Fiwasayo(f): 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
MakeQuickCash:
I smell FP from lalasticlala..
The girls... in the 80's and 90's you could get any girl of your choice with just a handful of suya. In todays 2000's, if you never carry her go KFC, cinema, beach or buy beta phone or ride for her she nor go gree grin.. The music, fashion tech , nightlife of the 90's was so on point..

My dear,forget suya sef,just write letter and await your response grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by siegfried99(m): 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
I'm always glad I experienced that time.

Wow

Old world and New world cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by rawtouch: 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
90s rocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by kobonaire(m): 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nice, I'm checking in .... still can't forget my first email account of the 90s : jjc@Hotmail

3 Likes

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by siegfried99(m): 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
Fiwasayo:

My dear,forget suya sef,just write letter and await your response grin

Nice pix wink
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Btruth: 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
1993. A year to remember for me.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by greatness22(m): 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
If only i can just turn back the hands of time. That time, super eagles were really super (not like the present super he-goats) one cup of garri can last a bachelor for 5days. Movies like end of the wicked, last burial, ishawuru, jaguar, living in bondage, i can go on and on. Ladies were decent and well mannered. Things were cheap then.

11 Likes

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by safarigirl(f): 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
I was born in the 90's....that's enough to qualify it as the best decade ever. #90babiesrock we the coolest babies ever cool

3 Likes

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by peterQD: 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
yea...respect peeps frm d 90s for real

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by neonly: 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dat was turning point of civilization

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Banjiolamide: 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
So true.. Haha

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo: Woman Found Sleeping On BRT Lane / Up Coming Uniform Job In Nigeria (PCN) / Have You Tried Nairaland On Your Mobile?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.