Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,076 members, 7,825,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

Must Everything Go The Web Way? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Must Everything Go The Web Way? (1693 Views)

The.Web.Application.Hackers.Handbook.Oct.2017/2018 / JavaScript Conquered The Web. Now It's Taking Over The Desktop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Everything Go The Web Way? by Knownpal(m): 11:35am On Mar 29, 2016
Good day house.

You see am a kind of person who likes automation, I like robots. Everything around me, I like to automate it, but for now, I can only automate things in a computer. Well, maybe because am lazy, newboston taught me that, (Like getting notepad++ to replace the codes that aren't working with the working ones wherever they are found in a number of opened files, writing a program to search the net and download a particular file that ends with .tar just saying sha).

So now, in this our country, if someone like me continue in this automation world, is it that I won't make enough of the second reason why I got interested in programming (i.e financial grin).

I am not against web dev, in as much as I have skills in it, but am just wondering. In the country right now, there's is huge need of web developers what happened to the robotics, the desktop apps. Please la share la opinion.
Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by larisoft: 3:19pm On Mar 29, 2016
Lol...the reasons, as i perceive are,

1. Desktop development is expensive: writing programs that are tied down to one type of hardware is expensive. It will usually not run on any other platform than that one for which you've written it. Even with java around, you cant really write an app for the masses and expect them to understand how to install their own jvm. So, you usually have to get programmers that understand all the relevant platforms you are targeting. This costs far more money than you will give one PHP kid to set up one site for you.

2. Desktop/offline apps are difficult to maintain:
Those of us that do native Desktop and Mobile App development will tell you that these platforms are always releasing new versions of their os's and making our hardwork obsolete barely months after we release them. Only early last year, it was cool to write android apps for Ginger bread. Today, anyone who targeted that platform that year must have updated their codes, or it would be more or less useless on playstore. Windows forms is outdated. Windows WPF is outdated. Visual Studio 2012 is outdated. fck! even jelly bean is outdated!!!

On the web however, notepad++ has been relevant since it came out...and so has notepad..and sublime_text. And no matter what version of PHP is coming out these days, your old PHP code will always run fine. Mysql still runs fine. .asp still runs fine. jsp still runs fine. Who could ask for more?

3. Offline Development has a steeper learning curve:
If you have been doing only web development, you will find moving over to desktop/offline development far harder than the other way round. You usually have to configure your machine to do stuff depending on what tools you are using and I swear, netbeans and eclipse and qt were not made with newbies in mind. What about custom hardware development...the type where you require C or perhaps, Assembly. Goodluck is the word.

With web...everyone is doing web these days; cos its easy to get in. Writing scalable web apps is hard of course...but that's another story.

Now, the obvious implication of this is that its harder to get a team for offline development than for web development.

4. Offline Development has higher customer barrier: its more difficult to get a potential customer to install a program, than it is to get them to visit a url. savvy?

5. Most importantly: Low Demand:
Today's businesses, after considering all the facts stated above will always prefer to do a web application first. Developers stick to what pays them the most. Hence; we have fewer and fewer desktop/offline developers.

However, really passionate programmers will not let these reasons stop them. They will usually try to learn both web and offline development because at the end of the day, your knowledge is kinda shallow if you do not know both.

just my opinion...

3 Likes

Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by paranorman(m): 5:23pm On Mar 29, 2016
Oga Larisoft has said it all.
The only reason I am learning to code in HTML/Js/PHP/AJAX is just to prepare myself for other languages. Just building up my logic skills and laying a foundation...
Funny thing's when people ask my what my real motives are, I tel'em I am learning it cause of my love for it.

I will get to you Larisoft's, dhtml18 and other heavy weights levels someday.

2 Likes

Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2016
It's nice to know that you know newboston, the guy is good tho, (Not so good)...wonder how many things you learnt from him..

I would recommend Adam Khoury to any beginner.

Keep on doing whatever makes you happy tho..not whatever get's you money. Think about it.

1 Like

Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by Knownpal(m): 10:17am On Mar 30, 2016
Mr Larisoft always on point.

Hmmm paranorman

DanielTheGeek:
It's nice to know that you know newboston, the guy is good tho, (Not so good)...wonder how many things you learnt from him..

Keep on doing whatever makes you happy tho..not whatever get's you money. Think about it.

You know who newboston be now, a lazy funny lad. I watched his video to get a fore knowledge on something before heading to a book.
Been a while I visit him.. How is he not good?
Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by paranorman(m): 11:45am On Mar 30, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

is that name the name of the book?
Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
paranorman:

is that name the name of the book?

Adam Khoury is an Author and Instructor, he teaches people through his website www.developphp.com and his Youtube channel www.youtube.com/user/flashbuilding
Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Apr 03, 2016
Knownpal:
Mr Larisoft always on point.

Hmmm paranorman

You know who newboston be now, a lazy funny lad. I watched his video to get a fore knowledge on something before heading to a book.
Been a while I visit him.. How is he not good?

I didn't say NewBoston "isn't good", I said "he's not that good", NewBoston still experiments his discoveries while he learns and transfers the knowledge to people, he doesn't have enough experience and makes some silly mistakes at times. I still respect him tho, at least he's got a lot of videos to his name...while I don't even have one yet, lol.
Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by Knownpal(m): 5:33pm On Apr 03, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

I didn't say NewBoston "isn't good", I said "he's not that good", NewBoston still experiments his discoveries while he learns and transfers the knowledge to people, he doesn't have enough experience and makes some silly mistakes at times. I still respect him tho, at least he's got a lot of videos to his name...while I don't even one yet, lol.

I quite agree with you, because some of his videos are being made by some other people. Anyways sha. I learned a few things which helped mu beginning back then.
Re: Must Everything Go The Web Way? by Successguilders: 10:18pm On Apr 05, 2016
Its easy to become a desktop app developer...

(1) (Reply)

Android, React JS And Angular JS Developers Needed. / Which Computer Programme Is Easiest To Learn For A Beginner / Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.