Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction (4852 Views)

Two-story Duplex Building With C Of O In Ajao Estate For Sale In Lagos / 12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them / Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:29pm On Mar 29, 2016
I am back again with some basic analysis, design, costing and construction of a one storey duplex, using a Nairalander project has a case study.

These topic will be divided into substructures and super structures.

Substructure are building member below the building level. These members are foundation, sub structural wall, foundation columns, grade beams and damp proof course (popularly known as German floor).
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:36pm On Mar 29, 2016
I am using this particular job because it meet up with basic design criteria.
The site has an extensive soil test, properly done by a good Geotechnical film. I will not be able to post the Geotechnical report here because of copy right,
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
Summary of sub soil report according to the soil test.
From a depth of 0-750mm firm, dark brownish grey, Sandy, lateritic clay with fine to coarse gravel, silly and Sandy soil was encountered.

From a depth of 0.75- 15m, firm to stiff becoming very stiff to hard brownish grey, molttled, silty, Sandy lateritic with fine to coarse gravel was encountered.

The ground water table at that period of the year was encountered within the borehole at about 3.8m below the existing natural ground level.

The geothermal film recommendation
1. First recommendation, they recommend a reinforced shallow foundation of pads and column placed at a depth of 1.75m below the existing ground level.

2. They also recommend or a a raft foundation in the of raft slab placed at a depth of 1.25m above natural ground level.

The result of the investigation gave a safe bearing capacity of 130kN/m2 at a depth of 1.5m with a factor of safety of 3

Note : this report was carried out by basol associates limited)
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 3:05pm On Mar 29, 2016
Foundation design, while base on similar knowledge, is an exercise of judgements based on the expertise and sometimes based on the experience of the designer.

Some designer can be conservative while others can be innovative, but all foundation must be Safe, cost effective, durable and buildable. These aforementioned factors must be the major objective of every foundation design.

From the recommendations of the geothermal report, I will choose the first one: I, e pad column foundation founded at a depth of 1.75m.

Reasons for this choice are
1. Cost of excavation : it will cost a lot to excavate a trench of 1.2m throughout the entire building area for the raft foundation be built.

2. It will cost more to reinforced a raft foundation founded at a depth of 1.2m

3. The section of the raft slab and beam ( if any) will be much higher than the pad footings - column foundation.

3.cost of labour such as form work etc will be much higher.

4. Speed of construction will be slower compare to pad footing column foundation
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by michtob(m): 7:10pm On Mar 29, 2016
following closely.... keep up the good work you guys are doing

1 Like

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by Dieumerci(m): 8:31pm On Mar 29, 2016
Following.

1 Like

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by Horlawoomey(m): 9:53pm On Mar 29, 2016
Bring it on abdulwastecx.
A young Engr is ready to learn. I hope you are ready for my questions.
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:54pm On Mar 29, 2016
Horlawoomey:
Bring it on abdulwastecx.

A young Engr is ready to learn. I hope you are ready for my questions.

I will try to do justice to them
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by Horlawoomey(m): 9:58pm On Mar 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I will try to do juatice tk them
Good.
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by princechigzy(m): 11:51pm On Mar 29, 2016
Thank God i arrived early and am seated. Engineer, its your PH friend. Always ready to learn.

Very detailed explanation all the time.
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:48am On Mar 30, 2016
princechigzy:
Thank God i arrived early and am seated. Engineer, its your PH friend. Always ready to learn.

Very detailed explanation all the time.

Thanks sir.. . How is that your repair work?
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:47pm On Mar 30, 2016
Here is an idealized three dimensional drawings of structural frame of the building

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:50pm On Mar 30, 2016
Here is the foundation structural layout :
The layout have the following :
Isolated pad footings
Foundation beam to carry sub structural wall and serve as horizontal tie to link the pad footings around

1 Like

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:52pm On Mar 30, 2016
The two other floors are needed for load estimation. These floors are the ground floor ( damp proof course or oversite concrete), first suspended floor and the roof

1 Like

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:53pm On Mar 30, 2016
These are some of the idealized section

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2016
I will start the foundation design by estimating the load on the foundation : this will be done by using a simple two dimensional frame system accros the transverse and longitudinal section.

I will assume that the transverse section is x - x
While the longitudinal section is y-y
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by Nobody: 4:01pm On Mar 31, 2016
I ll take myself out for being present for this lecture• Nice Job Bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:15pm On Mar 31, 2016
LOAD ESTIMATION ON FRAMED STRUCTURES
(section X-X)

AVERAGE FLOOR LOAD
unit weight of concrete=24kN
depth of slab=0.15m (150mm)
floor finishes=1.2kN/m2
partition allowance=1.5kN/m2
imposed load for residential=1.5kN/m2

w=1.4gk + 1.6qk
Gk: slab selfweight=0.15×24 = 3.60
finishes=1.20
partition allowance=1.50
---------
6.30kN/m2
---------
:• 10 = 1.4(6.3) + 1.6 (1.5)
=11.22kN/m2
approx. ~12kN/m per meter run.

SELFWEIGHT OF FIRST FLOOR SLAB
*assume a dimension of 225mm x 450mm
=0.225 × 0.450 × 24.000
=2.43kN/m3 ×1.4

*assume: 5kN/m for first floor beam.
3kN/m for roof beam
3kN/m for ground floor beam

PARTITION WALL LOAD
》unit weight of 450mm X 225mm X 225mm sandcrete block = 3.47kn/m2
》hight of wall = 2.7m
》weight = 3.47 × 2.7 × 1.4
=13.13kN/m
approx.. ~ 14kN/m

LOAD FROM FLOOR SLAB TO FRAME
First floor slab (asuming a one-way panel)
=3/2 × 3/2 ×12.00 =36kN/m

load on first floor frame; 36 + 13 + 5 = 54kN/m
load on roof beam frame; = 3.00kN
load on ground floor beam frame; 3+ 13 = 16kN/m

horizontal tie grade beam at the foundation level
= 3 + 13/2 =9.5
approx. ~ 10kN/m

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by jossy26: 9:34pm On Mar 31, 2016
Following, sir Abdul, do you work in lagos? Seem most of your jobs are in abuja and environs
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:11am On Apr 01, 2016
jossy26:
Following, sir Abdul, do you work in lagos? Seem most of your jobs are in abuja and environs

We do work in Lagos sir.
I have done some jobs in the east and South South as well. We move round the nation sir
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:29am On Apr 01, 2016
From the above calculation, I have a simple 2 dimensional frame along x-x axis. Remember, my aim is to calculate the total load transmitted into the foundation footing.

Here is the summary of my calculation depicted below with the diagram.

*on top of the building, we have a point load of 10kN from the roof truss. (see, A A). And a uniformly distributed load of 3kN/m which is the self weight of the beam (since the beam is not carrying any further load).

+ at the first floor, we have a uniformly distributed load from the one way slab span, self weight of beams, self weight of portion walls of 2.7m high.

+at the ground floor, we have a floor beam to carries self weight and weight of ground floor beams.

+finally, at the foundation level, we have beams connecting or tieing the isolated pad footings together and also carry in the uniformly distributed load of the foundation or sub structural blocks work of hight 0.9m.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:33am On Apr 01, 2016
I will be using linpro27 software for static load calculation to analyzed the effect of these load on the idealized two-dimensional truss system to get the supportive reactions at the base of foundation.

1 Like

Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 01, 2016
abdulwastecx:
I will be using linpro27 software for static load calculation to analyzed the effect of these load on the idealized two-dimensional truss system to get the supportive reactions at the base of foundation.

Pls fellow engineers Expecting a detailed or summarised Results and their interpretation
Re: Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 8:11pm On Apr 07, 2016
Baba we are patiently waitinq

(1) (Reply)

The Eneka Ph Portable 5 Bedroom Duplex / Iron RODS Is Now N1,200,000 Today / Get New Zealand's Roman Design Roofing Tiles Delivered To Your Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.