Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1284) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11678130 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) (1286) (1287) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:09am On Aug 16, 2017
I’m still the same person, says Arsenal's Alex Iwobi

The 21-year-old winger has risen through the ranks at the Gunners and has not let the fame that accompanied it get into his head

Alex Iwobi has declared he is still the same person despite rising through the ranks at Arsenal and becoming an established member of the first team.

The Nigeria international broke onto the scene last season with eye-catching performances whilst making 38 appearances and scoring four goals in all competitions for the Emirates Stadium outfit.

And those performances have also seen him become an integral part of the Super Eagles core but he is adamant those successes haven’t changed who he was.

"I still hang with the same friends when they’re back from uni, every time after training I still go home and sleep," Iwobi told club website.

"Nothing’s really changed, just playing in the first team I guess. I do get recognised more, people are like ‘ahhh’.

"Two years ago you could just come in, I’d normally go back to my old area and play in my cage and no one would bother me, but if I go and play in my cage now - ‘ahhh Alex Iwobi’s here’. I’m still getting used to that because I still feel like I’m the same as my friends and the same person as two years ago, but when people are like ‘do you know what you’ve done?’

"Obviously I was lucky to have an uncle that played football, so he still gives me advice from time to time, but my mum and dad keep me grounded.

"The more I’m progressing, the more money, the more the fame comes with it, but they’re helping me invest because football is a really short career, so they’re also making me think about life outside of football as well a bit more, but I’m not one to go spending and living a flashy lifestyle, I try to keep as humble as I can and I’m still the same.

"That’s what I’m going to keep on saying, I’m still the same person as I was two years ago."

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/alex-iwobi-im-still-the-same-person/1u4v6z4fx43ry13r6xqcybvbhd

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by hunter21(m): 10:51am On Aug 16, 2017
you see this new u-17 in that picture, their physique can change completely before April 2018 after more months of training and proper diet. in this part of the world everybody is smaller than their age because of our standard of living

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:38am On Aug 16, 2017
I like this kid. Great attitude. Wonderful guidance.
BascoVanVeli:
I’m still the same person, says Arsenal's Alex Iwobi

The 21-year-old winger has risen through the ranks at the Gunners and has not let the fame that accompanied it get into his head

Alex Iwobi has declared he is still the same person despite rising through the ranks at Arsenal and becoming an established member of the first team.

The Nigeria international broke onto the scene last season with eye-catching performances whilst making 38 appearances and scoring four goals in all competitions for the Emirates Stadium outfit.

And those performances have also seen him become an integral part of the Super Eagles core but he is adamant those successes haven’t changed who he was.

"I still hang with the same friends when they’re back from uni, every time after training I still go home and sleep," Iwobi told club website.

"Nothing’s really changed, just playing in the first team I guess. I do get recognised more, people are like ‘ahhh’.

"Two years ago you could just come in, I’d normally go back to my old area and play in my cage and no one would bother me, but if I go and play in my cage now - ‘ahhh Alex Iwobi’s here’. I’m still getting used to that because I still feel like I’m the same as my friends and the same person as two years ago, but when people are like ‘do you know what you’ve done?’

"Obviously I was lucky to have an uncle that played football, so he still gives me advice from time to time, but my mum and dad keep me grounded.

"The more I’m progressing, the more money, the more the fame comes with it, but they’re helping me invest because football is a really short career, so they’re also making me think about life outside of football as well a bit more, but I’m not one to go spending and living a flashy lifestyle, I try to keep as humble as I can and I’m still the same.

"That’s what I’m going to keep on saying, I’m still the same person as I was two years ago."

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/alex-iwobi-im-still-the-same-person/1u4v6z4fx43ry13r6xqcybvbhd
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:40am On Aug 16, 2017
Yes the rate of exodus of our players is also a factor.

Danielnino00:

I think the problem lies more with our league. You see most of those u-17 boys, once they hit it at international tournaments, they get carried away. Some greedy agents won't hesitate to get them deals in countries like Greece,Turkey,Malta,Finland etc and they would accept not because those countries are better than Nigeria in football but because their league are better.
The rate at which our best players are running abroad(even countries like Tunisia,Egypt and SA is abroad to them) is rather alarming. It shouldn't be like that. We need to build our homegrown talents at home..

But like you said,corruption has affected virtually every sector of this country.

Its a pity
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2017
Abeg where's Abdullahi Alfa? That short dude that played at the 2013 u-17 WC
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:40pm On Aug 16, 2017
Danielnino00:
Abeg where's Abdullahi Alfa?
That short dude that played at the 2013 u-17 WC

In Latvia

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:02pm On Aug 16, 2017
Humility017:

so pathetic....
onething about we Nigerians we over do things....all because we wanna parade young folks wit the right age....
we begin to parade under age...partly the reason for the failure of amunike and garba boys....just automatically graduating all under 17 to under 20....all with an average age of 17-18 ages.
why can't we just borrow the Germans model

Thank you.

You understand this issue perfectly.

When the Germans parade an U20 team you see over 90% as 19 and 20 years olds. But ours will be 90% 17 and 18years olds. We paraded the youngest team at the 2015 U20 where did it take us?

Apart from natural talent age matters a lot in football. That is why FIFA separate U17s from U20s. Europeans separate U19 from U21.

The way the NFF are going about it we will parade the youngest ever U17 squad and be prouding ourselves in it only to crash out at the 1st round of qualifiers. Then subsequently the players will be discarded and that generation goes like that thereby creating another gap in the system.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:03pm On Aug 16, 2017
shocked
tbaba1234:

In Latvia
shocked
tbaba1234:

In Latvia

I used to like the guy sha.. He was good..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 4:12pm On Aug 16, 2017
Today is 16th and we are yet to know the players that will face Cameroon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:43pm On Aug 16, 2017
Dennis Okon nko. That left back was solid. Akwa United signed him in 2015. He was a regular in the previous season, but not heard much about him this season. Also Aliyu Abubakar, was arguably our best center back. Until now he played together with the likes of Egwuekwe and Salami in Sweden before he was loaned to an obscure league. Let's not forget Saharadeen Bello who progressed to the U23 team but did not make the cut to Rio.

Danielnino00:
shocked shocked

I used to like the guy sha.. He was good..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:43pm On Aug 16, 2017
Pls where is Emmanuel Sarki, and Lukman Haruna?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2017
Icon4s:

Thank you.

You understand this issue perfectly.

When the Germans parade an U20 team you see over 90% as 19 and 20 years olds. But ours will be 90% 17 and 18years olds. We paraded the youngest team at the 2015 U20 where did it take us?

Apart from natural talent age matters a lot in football. That is why FIFA separate U17s from U20s. Europeans separate U19 from U21.

The way the NFF are going about it we will parade the youngest ever U17 squad and be prouding ourselves in it only to crash out at the 1st round of qualifiers. Then subsequently the players will be discarded and that generation goes like that thereby creating another gap in the system.

exactly.....
it is so painful...
I believe we can operate a system...where we won't go begging these foreign born to come play for us....
though we might go after some still....but not on route of going to beg them .
why can't the nff start a regional tournament of under 15 league....under 17 league and under 19....
the problem we have been recreating is heading on a journey to nowhere...
why go embark on an under 15 promise tournament if there are no plans to progress the kids to the next level...
promoting the outstanding under 15 players to the NPFL clubs main team...is not a brainer idea and such can stunt these lads development
managing these age grade leagues can be less expensive...and should be entirely left wit corporate organisations to manage...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:18pm On Aug 16, 2017
Joebie:
Dennis Okon nko. That left back was solid. Akwa United signed him in 2015. He was a regular in the previous season, but not heard much about him this season. Also Aliyu Abubakar, was arguably our best center back. Until now he played together with the likes of Egwuekwe and Salami in Sweden before he was loaned to an obscure league. Let's not forget Saharadeen Bello who progressed to the U23 team but did not make the cut to Rio.

Bello is a DM in Kano Pillars.

Aliyu Abubakar could not make the cut in Finland.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:50pm On Aug 16, 2017
Yes I meant to say Finland as regards playing with Salami an Egwuekwe. Bello has been in Kano pillars. has he been playing this season? Likewise Okon. Nooo
tbaba1234:

Bello is a DM in Kano Pillars.

Aliyu Abubakar could not make the cut in Finland.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:03pm On Aug 16, 2017
Foreign players is not a problem. It's an option for Nigeria just as it is for other countries. Let's keep sentiments out of the issue. I can tell you that the likes of Germany, Argwntina and even Brazil have failed to qualify for underaged WC one time or the other but that did not create a void in their system.

Manu Garba had an all inclusive policy while building for the U20 World Cup in 2015 several players who initially failed the MRI made the cut. The likes of Etebo were given a chance

Humility017:

exactly.....
it is so painful...
I believe we can operate a system...where we won't go begging these foreign born to come play for us....
why can't the nff start a regional tournament of under 15 league....under 17 league and under 19....
why go embark on an under 15 promise tournament if there are no plans to progress the kids to the next level...
promoting the outstanding under 15 players to the NPFL clubs main team...is not a brainer idea and such can stunt these lads development
managing these age grade leagues can be less expensive...and should be entirely left wit corporate organisations to manage...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:07pm On Aug 16, 2017
Nigeria's Ogenyi Onazi denied work permit to join Birmingham

By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport, Lagos
16 August 2017

Nigeria's Ogenyi Onazi played at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil however the Super Eagles have failed to qualify for the past two editions of the Africa Cup of Nations

Nigeria international Ogenyi Onazi has been denied a work permit to play for English Championship side Birmingham City.

Birmingham had agreed terms with the 24-year-old to sign him from Turkish club Trabzonspor.

However the Football Association turned down a first application for a work permit for Onazi last week.

An appeal made by the club was rejected on Wednesday despite Onazi being a regular in the Nigeria national team.

BBC Sport understands that the player and his representatives are bitterly disappointed that the panel rejected an appeal.

Onazi has played 38 times for the Super Eagles and helped them to win the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations and reach the last 16 of the World Cup in Brazil a year later.

However Nigeria's failure to qualify for the past two editions of the Nations Cup has affected his chances of securing a work permit to play in the English Championship.

Despite appearing in over 80% of the national team games, Onazi failed to earn a permit after the FA considered the West African nation's world ranking in the past two years.

They are ranked 38th in the August 2017 ranking, but Nigeria finished 54th on aggregate over the past two years.

Onazi joined current club Trabzonspor from Lazio last year and scored twice in 27 Turkish Super Lig matches last season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:10pm On Aug 16, 2017
Player turns up for training despite being on verge of Birmingham City transfer

By Nihat Emre Kocaaslan -

16th August 2017

Despite being on the verge in signing for Birmingham City, Ogenyi Onazi yesterday turned up for training with Trabzonspor.

Hurriyet say the Nigerian international attended training as Trabzonspor prepare for their clash with Fenerbahce at the weekend, which has been seen as a surprise in Turkey.

However, it’s been reported Onazi took things easy during the session, as he closes in on a move to Birmingham City.

The 24 year old looks set to join the Championship side for €4.5m, but work permit issues have been holding up the deal.

Yesterday, Trabzonspor manager Ersun Yanal said he doesn’t want an unhappy player within his squad, and therefore will allow Onazi to leave.

Still under contract with Trabzonspor until 2020, Onazi has recently confirmed he would like to leave in order to join Birmingham City.

Last night Harry Redknapp urged his board to bring in players before the window closes, following Birmingham City’s 0-0 draw with Bolton Wanderers.

In Turkey the problems with a work permit are seen as something of an English eccentricity, and they’re perhaps not taking the issue seriously enough.

If Birmingham City can sort out a work permit, which could have as much to do with price paid and wages offered, as international caps, then everything else slots into place.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-turns-training-despite-verge-birmingham-city-transfer/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:14pm On Aug 16, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Nigeria's Ogenyi Onazi denied work permit to join Birmingham

By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport, Lagos
16 August 2017

Nigeria's Ogenyi Onazi played at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil however the Super Eagles have failed to qualify for the past two editions of the Africa Cup of Nations

Nigeria international Ogenyi Onazi has been denied a work permit to play for English Championship side Birmingham City.

Birmingham had agreed terms with the 24-year-old to sign him from Turkish club Trabzonspor.

However the Football Association turned down a first application for a work permit for Onazi last week.

An appeal made by the club was rejected on Wednesday despite Onazi being a regular in the Nigeria national team.

BBC Sport understands that the player and his representatives are bitterly disappointed that the panel rejected an appeal.

Onazi has played 38 times for the Super Eagles and helped them to win the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations and reach the last 16 of the World Cup in Brazil a year later.

However Nigeria's failure to qualify for the past two editions of the Nations Cup has affected his chances of securing a work permit to play in the English Championship.

Despite appearing in over 80% of the national team games, Onazi failed to earn a permit after the FA considered the West African nation's world ranking in the past two years.

They are ranked 38th in the August 2017 ranking, but Nigeria finished 54th on aggregate over the past two years.

Onazi joined current club Trabzonspor from Lazio last year and scored twice in 27 Turkish Super Lig matches last season.

he could have stay in Italy to get an EU passport before moving to turkey, the easier part to play in England,

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:37pm On Aug 16, 2017
cromz:
I pray this doesn't happens it might create Mafia among the players because enyeama will want to return as captain I don't think we need him anymore

I disagree with you completely. If there ever was a gentleman and a man of humility and integrity it is Enyeama.

The issue of team captain is frivolous, it has no bearing on the matters at hand.

We have had clicks within the SE but those thing's are misrepresented. And are shrouded in false news particularly when corrupt officials are not able to have thier way.

Enyeama is still without doubt our best goalkeeper.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:41pm On Aug 16, 2017
Humility017:

exactly.....
it is so painful...

Can you explain your negative prejudice and assumptions as seen in bold.

What do you mean by begging them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:41pm On Aug 16, 2017
Thank you.

It's just like me saying let the South South develop football so that most of the players from the SE will be from the South South. My people, foreign-born players are Nigerians like everyone else. Let's stop all those labeling, division and sentiments.

Modified
It's just like Trump and white nationalists feeling like they are the real Americans, at the expense of blacks, Jews etc. It's actually prejudice my brother. We show these signs even in our many cases of tribalism. It's a pity.

komekn:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:50pm On Aug 16, 2017
The Championship yesterday:

Hull 2-3 Wolves
Ola Aina was on from start to finish for the home side.
Enobakhare had an assist for Wolves' second goal, and later made way in the 60th minute.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:06pm On Aug 16, 2017
komekn:

I think my words are clear enough to digest...
having a functional age grade progression will make avaliable more players in our talent pool....moreover the likes of chasing after players who are not willing to play for nigeria or better still using us as a back up option should in case their birth country refuse them call up...
will be curtailed....
let me tell you.....wit a functional youth set up and structires...there would have been stars better than some of the foreign born players some of us here battling over...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:11pm On Aug 16, 2017
Joebie:
Thank you.

It's just like me saying let the South South develop football so that most of the players from the SE will be from the South South. My people, foreign-born players are Nigerians like everyone else. Let's stop all those labeling, division and sentiments.

Modified
It's just like Trump and white nationalists feeling like they are the real Americans, at the expense of blacks, Jews etc. It's actually prejudice my brother. We show these signs even in our many cases of tribalism. It's a pity.

stop playing to the gallery...
I have never for once on these forum hide my love for foreign groomed players....
common sense should teach that...if the 10 millions Nigerians in Europe could provide such a mass of talents that we are all jostling for to come play for us...
how much more...the 180 milion Nigerians at home....If only the structures and organisation are well in place

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 16, 2017
A goal for Anthony Nwakaeme against Maribor In the UCL qualifiers.He plies his trade with Hapoel beer sheva with John Ogu.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eustacey: 10:25pm On Aug 16, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:48pm On Aug 16, 2017
Joebie:
The Championship yesterday:

Hull 2-3 Wolves
Ola Aina was on from start to finish for the home side.
Enobakhare had an assist for Wolves' second goal, and later made way in the 60th minute.

what about MUSA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:08am On Aug 17, 2017
do4luv14:

what about MUSA

Musa is still in Leicester...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:21am On Aug 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

January, 05, 2016
Contrary to most belief, I see Zidane succeeding. He spent time with the junior team of Madrid mastering his craft. He ran some programs in Germany with Guardiola to sharpen his understanding of possession football.

He gained a lot from coaches refining his game and played a part in the development of young bright talents like Sarabia, Morata, Jese, Carvajal.

I think Zidane is the right coach for the job but I feel Benitez deserved more time.

https://www.nairaland.com/2842141/benitez-sacked-zidane-take-over#41690136
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:24am On Aug 17, 2017
Nice knowing you were right when lots of people did not see the greatness on the way. Congrats to Zidane and his young men. That was beautiful entertainment for footie lovers.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:30am On Aug 17, 2017
What I found most interesting about the Real Madrid Barcelona Supercopa second leg was the sign of the team getting better in their team work play. There was an atmosphere confidence in the stadium and the players expressed themselves with awareness.

My best player of the night was Kovacic and he highlighted the importance of a creative brilliant shield. His seamless understanding with Luka Modric was refreshing. His skills in tight situation were mind blowing.

I hope our midfielders, especially those who shield the defence noticed how Kovacic stayed with the defenders most of the game and helped cover gaps when the full backs overlap. There were times he was even behind the central defenders.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:01am On Aug 17, 2017
Joebie:
Thank you.

Modified

I don't really know for others, but for me I hate it when we go asking for these players to represent us and what we get in return is insults and unnecessary info we are well aware of.

I don't know about you, but as for me I'd like to our see players - those that feel Nigerian. Those that are aware of the flaws in our system and would still out of love for the country crave to put on the green Jersey.

I could remember a German born player (can't remember his name) saying he doesn't want to represent us because of the political instability in the country. Well screw him for saying that. Balogun and Ekong opted to play for us despite that.

Of course, I won't fault any player who opts to play for the country of their birth, if they feel they stand a chance there.

For example, if Tammy Abraham chooses England over us, that might be a nice decision. Rooney is 33, Defoe is 36, Vardy 30, harry Kane 25. It won't be too long before he and Kane create a formidable force upfront.

What I'm saying in essence is, if a player of dual nationality takes sides after careful considerations/calculations all we can do is wish them the best. And on their parts they can politely decline our offer without saying trash about us.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) (1286) (1287) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: codemaniacs and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.