Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11672087 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) (1286) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:25pm On Aug 15, 2017
Joebie:
The fact is U-17 boys hardly graduate to U20. U13 to U17 -- great.

Nigeria is still jinxed at the U20 level. I think realistically we have done excellently at the U17 level in 2013 and 2015 considering that those were the youngest side we ever fielded.

Modified.
The problem is we don't know why we still chase foreign based players today. Where are Nigeria's best doctors, Engineers etc. The fact is MOST are abroad. By technocracy we are not talking about your book knowledge but your applied knowledge -- an elite of technical experts. Same applies to Football and so many other spheres of Nigerian life. Which is why if we keep having bad leadership it's going to affect many things that we do. I posted a graph yesterday of our population increase compared to other African countries, and nobody commented. If Nigeria's population is about 70% of the entire Africa and our growth rate is also alarming, that means we should dominate almost everything in Africa. In fact we should dominate football in Africa especially, because we have always put all our focus on football. But that's far from the case.

It's unfortunate. The problem is when people think our problems demands an an easy fix -- graduating U13 boys all the way to U20. We always want short cut solutions. It doesn't happen like that in reality. Short cut solutions only bring short-term success.

Until our league and in fact the structure of our football development from Primary school level to University level is improved greatly, we won't be able to churn out stars in a regular basis. This is what separates us from the like of Germany. These countries don't put too much effort in winning under aged tournaments like we do.

I think the problem lies more with our league. You see most of those u-17 boys, once they hit it at international tournaments, they get carried away. Some greedy agents won't hesitate to get them deals in countries like Greece,Turkey,Malta,Finland etc and they would accept not because those countries are better than Nigeria in football but because their league are better.
The rate at which our best players are running abroad(even countries like Tunisia,Egypt and SA is abroad to them) is rather alarming. It shouldn't be like that. We need to build our homegrown talents at home..

But like you said,corruption has affected virtually every sector of this country.

Its a pity

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:31pm On Aug 15, 2017
Joebie:

Nigeria is still jinxed at the U20 level. I think realistically we have done excellently at the U17 level in 2013 and 2015 considering that those were the youngest side we ever fielded.

Modified.
The problem is we don't know why we still chase foreign based players today. Where are Nigeria's best doctors, Engineers etc. The fact is MOST are abroad. By technocracy we are not talking about your book knowledge but your applied knowledge -- an elite of technical experts. Same applies to Football and so many other spheres of Nigerian life. Which is why if we keep having bad leadership it's going to affect many things that we do. I posted a graph yesterday of our population increase compared to other African countries, and nobody commented. If Nigeria's population is about 70% of the entire Africa and our growth rate is also alarming, that means we should dominate almost everything in Africa. In fact we should dominate football in Africa especially, because we have always put all our focus on football. But that's far from the case.

It's unfortunate. The problem is when people think our problems demands an an easy fix -- graduating U13 boys all the way to U20. We always want short cut solutions. It doesn't happen like that in reality. Short cut solutions only bring short-term success.

Until our league and in fact the structure of our football development from Primary school level to University level is improved greatly, we won't be able to churn out stars in a regular basis. This is what separates us from the like of Germany. These countries don't put too much effort in winning under aged tournaments like we do.

I was opportune to have a discussion wit one of the nff too personality during preceding week....
he revealed to me....on how the under 15 will travelling for some football matches...
I asked him..how about the youngsters just discovered from the immediate past under 15 NPFL promise tournament...
he laughed it off...
telling me they're too old...
I tried convince him but he told me....they're the ones there...they know what's playing around...
I wasn't happy and I felt they should be need to integrate both talents...create a large pool of players to pick from...
I think what will help grow our youngsters is the restructuring and improved management of the domestic league....
It should js structures to absolve young players....and if possible the clubs be reduced to attain efficiency and effectiveness....private individuals and coys should wade into the management of these clubs...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 7:32pm On Aug 15, 2017
Icon4s:

You sound like dannycrusoe. Is it you?

that's not me sir. I saw the news on twitter as well saved the pictures in order to post but he beat me to it. the kids are very young

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2017
Joebie:

Modified.

I wish we could v a good university league for team sports like football rugby basketball in Nigeria just like they do in SA n the US, this will not only develop our sports but engage our students nd save them from cultism n becoming political thugs and in fact it will help in reducing unemployment rate amongst graduates as some of these guys will be noticed n signed into various professional teams and leagues. there are many advantages of something like this but unfortunately we value never had a sports minister who haf tot of something like this.

our ASUU and Asup games are just mere jamboree that v little significance

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 7:49pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danielnino00:

Who is Danycrusoe?

I'm Daniel_nino abeg grin

I am Danycrusoe. Single "n"

Sir Icon4s take note siR, "Danycrusoe" not "Dannycrusoe"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 7:54pm On Aug 15, 2017
Humility017:

I was opportune to have a discussion wit one of the nff too personality during preceding week....
he revealed to me....on how the under 15 will travelling for some football matches...
I asked him..how about the youngsters just discovered from the immediate past under 15 NPFL promise tournament...
he laughed it off...
I tried convince him but he told me....they're the ones there...they know what's playing around...
I wasn't happy and I felt they should be need to integrate both talents...create a large pool of players to pick from...
I think what will help grow our youngsters is the restructuring and improved management of the domestic league....
It should js structures to absolve young players....and if possible the clubs be reduced to attain efficiency and effectiveness....private individuals and coys should wade into the management of these clubs...

that's too bad. meaning they don't v plans for the future of the guys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:04pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danycrusoe:

that's too bad. meaning they don't v plans for the future of the guys.
yeah....I told him too instead....he shifted the blame on the various npfl club management... he should be a top personality... I will saw him with the perm sec.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:36pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danycrusoe:

I am Danycrusoe. Single "n"
Sir Icon4s take note siR, "Danycrusoe" not "Dannycrusoe"
OK. noted.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:38pm On Aug 15, 2017
Joebie:
Osimhen scored a brace in Wolfsburg's last pre-season game.

Props to the young man Osimhen. Keep working hard and finding that target.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:38pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danycrusoe:

I wish we could v a good university league for team sports like football rugby basketball in Nigeria just like they do in SA n the US, this will not only develop our sports but engage our students nd save them from cultism n becoming political thugs and in fact it will help in reducing unemployment rate amongst graduates as some of these guys will be noticed n signed into various professional teams and leagues. there are many advantages of something like this but unfortunately we value never had a sports minister who haf tot of something like this.

our ASUU and Asup games are just mere jamboree that v little significance
Great one there!

But the bulk of the problem with our sport lies with those at the helm of affairs.

I often wonder of what use are those folks to the general development of sports in this country.

While watching the just concluded IAAF, i was so suprised when I saw some african 'Minors' taking the stage by storm and showing the stuff they've-but my dear Nigeria was at the back door seeking who to blame for it woes.

One thing that caught my attention was the US team. Majority of those in from that team are university undergraduates mostly from Oregon... Then I asked myself why we can't unhearth talents across the country when we have sports programmes like NUGA(if them still de do am) for schools.

It's really pathetic. The country is in a sorry state.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2017
Humility017:

he laughed it off...

This is so saddening.

Why not make the MRI scan the judge.

They will go an assembly one poor quality U17 team now and be losing to a team like Chad or Niger.
That's how they destroy our
football.

How can they say those kids we saw at the NPFL U15 tourney are too old?

It is not just enough to complain here. I need to really find out who gave that instruction.
Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 8:48pm On Aug 15, 2017
AIG07:
Great one there!

But the bulk of the problem with our sport lies with those at the helm of affairs.

I often wonder of what use are those folks to the general development of sports in this country.

While watching the just concluded IAAF, i was so suprised when I saw some african 'Minors' taking the stage by storm and showing the stuff they've-but my dear Nigeria was at the back door seeking who to blame for it woes.

One thing that caught my attention was the US team. Majority of those in from that team are university undergraduates mostly from Oregon... Then I asked myself why we can't unhearth talents across the country when we have sports programmes like NUGA(if them still de do am) for schools.

if we decide to go on and on this thread might just turn to a political one. I think sometimes the country is too big for a single leader to v the final say over activities in every nook and crannies.

let the regions stand up and do what will be of benefit to the members of that region. it's not only in sports but also in everything
western region create ur own university league, East do urs too North too should follow suit. if they like they merge for national finals or play off and if they don't fine. the Base point is let's not wait on FG, unfortunately the lower levels of government aren't ready.

if the private universities can come together and do something like this and look for sponsor they might be doing themselves and their students a lot of good.

even SA university netball championship is on Super sports

MODIFIED

example of what I am talking of is that of Channels Kids Cups
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 8:49pm On Aug 15, 2017
Icon4s:

OK. noted.
eshe sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
Humility017:

yeah....I told him too
instead....he shifted the blame on the various npfl club management...
he should be a top personality...
I will saw him with the perm sec.

how can they NPFL teams be faulted. are they expected to absorb these lads when they themselves have youths teams and academies they Re running. the NFF is supposed to keep them to a stage like say the U17 u20 level where the lads sell themselves to the world by playing in international tournaments not only FIFA tourneys
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 8:55pm On Aug 15, 2017
Icon4s:

This is so saddening.

They will go an assembly one poor quality U17 team now and be losing to a team like Chad or Niger.
football.

It is not just enough to complain here. I need to really find out who gave that instruction.
Rubbish.

those guys are very very young secondary school kids
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:02pm On Aug 15, 2017
Eagles Teen Sensation Osimhen Warms Up For Cameroon With Brace For Wolfsburg

Victor Osimhen was back among the goal scorers for German side Wolfsburg as he scored twice in their ‎6- 0 win over VfV Hildesheim in their final pre season game before the start of the Bundesliga next weekend.

Osimhen scored the second and last goal for Wolfsburg in the rout, the third time he has found the back of net in pre season games for the German side.

The 18 year old is been groomed by coach Andries Jonker to play as a back up to main striker Mario Gomez who is in his mid 30’s. However he faces competition from fellow new signings.

His goal will no doubt boost his confidence and his chances of making the squad of the senior national team of Nigeria for their upcoming World Cup 2018 Qualifiers back to back games against Cameroon.

Already he has two senior caps for Nigeria and came on as a substitute in their 0-2 loss against South Africa in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers tie played in Uyo.

Osas Mahawi
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/08/15/eagles-teen-sensation-osimhen-warms-up-for-cameroon-with-brace-for-wolfsburg/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:06pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danycrusoe:

We saw them naa.

They just want to screen out those boys to create chances for their own academy boys.

Tomorrow now they will present one mumu U17 team that will be losing to lowly rated footballing nations
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 9:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
Icon4s:

This is so saddening.

football.

Rubbish.

The guys are way too young 4 Mri. The official was only finding an excuse

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 9:13pm On Aug 15, 2017
Icon4s:

We saw them naa.

They just want to screen out those boys to create chances for their own academy boys.

Tomorrow now they will present one mumu U17 team that will be losing to lowly rated footballing nations

that's another big problem in All Nigerian system, God fathers and Mothers, family members and relatives getting jibs and positions that dey don't deserve

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:42pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danycrusoe:

The guys are way too young 4 Mri. The official was only finding an excuse

can these ones in this pic be able to compete as U16-U17 next year?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:24pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danycrusoe:

how can they NPFL teams be faulted. are they expected to absorb these lads when they themselves have youths teams and academies they Re running. the NFF is supposed to keep them to a stage like say the U17 u20 level where the lads sell themselves to the world by playing in international tournaments not only FIFA tourneys
I think they was plans to establish an under 19 league competition sometime ago...
though I forget to discuss that...
hopefully alhaji Diko keeps up with that plan..
I intend follow him on Twitter or any other social media channels...constantly reminding him of that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:28pm On Aug 15, 2017
Icon4s:

not at all.....
they're so young...by then they will likely be 15, 16 years old at most...
I think the nff are just carried away wit the money that accrued to them via the competition where the boys were selected from...having being sponsored by zenith bank...
I will suggest the zenith bank tournament be merged wit the npfl promise under 15 tournament...and solely sponsored by zenith bank or alteco group....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:33pm On Aug 15, 2017
Danycrusoe:

yeah....exactly.
I think the a league competition should be introduced for various clubs age grade team...and it should be regionalised to avoid long distance travels...
may be into 3 or 4 regions...
by so doing the clubs can keep track of these players development...
I think the problem of these clubs lies in the fact that they're being owned by thr government of their state....and
as such their management is always dicey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 16, 2017
AIG07:
Great one there!

bros the current structure and pace of our universities don't favour undergraduates involved in sports, I was involved in sports back at OAU and my grades nearly suffered. Do you know we had only just one week break to prepare for Nuga games in 2014 so I was shuttling between practices at day, classroom at night during the competition oh.
To cap it all kits where delivered a day to competition. The structure is not there at all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:05am On Aug 16, 2017
Humility017:

not at all.....
they're so young...by then they will likely be 15, 16 years old at most...
I think the nff are just carried away wit the money that accrued to them via the competition where the boys were selected from...having being sponsored by zenith bank...
I will suggest the zenith bank tournament be merged wit the npfl promise under 15 tournament...and solely sponsored by zenith bank or alteco group....

Many of those boys I am seeing there look 12-13 years old. I mean look at those kids kneeling down in the front row do they look like boys who can play U17 qualifiers next year?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 7:52am On Aug 16, 2017
Icon4s:

even in the next two years they can be a part of the u17 team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:00am On Aug 16, 2017
Danycrusoe:

even in the next two years they can be a part of the u17 team

The thing is the U17 qualifiers starts some time in April/May next year. Is it these kids that we are going to start the qualifiers with?
I am not saying we should age-cheat, after all there is MRI. It is not that we should just pack toddlers and make up a team because of the fear of MRI. Majority of the next U17 set should be 14-15 years old now. Meanwhile Majority of Those boys is that pix are obviously less than 14. Especially those in from row look more like 11-13 to me. Ok look at that number 6. He looks like some one in primary school. Is that a kind of player you want to take to say Bamako to face the intimidating crowd and scotching sun?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:08am On Aug 16, 2017
This is a pix of the 2013 Eaglets taken in 2012 just at the commencement of the U17 qualifiers. Do a comparison with pix above.

See the stars studded back row shocked

They look like boys that are well "Drilled" and ready to blow. Unlike the pix above that looks like a primary school team on an excursion.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:46am On Aug 16, 2017
Icon4s:

Many of those boys I am seeing there look 12-13 years old. I mean look at those kids kneeling down in the front row do they look like boys who can play U17 qualifiers next year?
so pathetic....
onething about we Nigerians we over do things....all because we wanna parade young folks wit the right age....
we begin to parade under age...partly the reason for the failure of amunike and garba boys....just automatically graduating all under 17 to under 20....all with an average age of 17-18 ages.
why can't we just borrow the Germans model
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 8:50am On Aug 16, 2017
Icon4s:

The thing is the U17 qualifiers starts some time in April/May next year. Is it these kids that we are going to start the qualifiers with?
I am not saying we should age-cheat, after all there is MRI. It is not that we should just pack toddlers and make up a team because of the fear of MRI. Majority of the next U17 set should be 14-15 years old now. Meanwhile Majority of Those boys is that pix are obviously less than 14. Especially those in from row look more like 11-13 to me. Ok look at that number 6. He looks like some one in primary school. Is that a kind of player you want to take to say Bamako to face the intimidating crowd and scotching sun?

well said those guys are young, but I don't expect the NFF not to hold an open camp for the u17 qualifiers, I mean Isaac success made the u17 team by joining the guys in an open camp. so the expected from NfF is to pick the exceptional ones and the ones close to 16 17 in age and body build and join them with those who attend the open camp and return the rest to the u15 camp, that way everything would be balanced
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 9:01am On Aug 16, 2017
Icon4s:
This is a pix of the 2013 Eaglets taken in 2012 just at the commencement of the U17 qualifiers. Do a comparison with pix above.

They look like boys that are well "Drilled" and ready to blow. Unlike the pix above that looks like a primary school team on an excursion.

these guys look the part. all the guys in the back save for the goalkeeper have been involoved in the SE at a point or another. let's wait for these present one to develop for another few months
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2017
Icon4s:

I tire for our football administrators....
seriously.
these guys should be groomed to play the preceding under 17 tournament after the next one....
the nff problem is they lack ideas and when there exist ideas...corruption won't let them do the right thing...
what's preventing the nff from setting up age grade league....it should be a regional league....beginning from the under 15 then to under 17 19 etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) (1286) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheGoodJoe(m), lovewins, jihday(m), iamdynamite(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.