Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1844) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11595691 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1841) (1842) (1843) (1844) (1845) (1846) (1847) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:22pm On Oct 18, 2017
Na Ndidi name sake be that. Because me I go school with Onyinye

forgiveness:

If I say Ndidi na my late great grandfather junior brother classmate be Ndidi, which one old pass? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:23pm On Oct 18, 2017
Joebie:
I didn't watch the game. That's y I'm asking

I get u. just wanted to stay right behind his performance b4 excuses are made. if he isnt back at everton come january, i'l know sabotage is up. but twil stil be their loss anyways.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:24pm On Oct 18, 2017
Joebie:
So how did Onyekuru fare on the big big test today? Does stats say everything?

Onyekuru was arguably the best player or Anderlecht today, that's not me exaggerating.

His touches were clean, he's learning how to bring his teammates into the game, not like last season when he was tagged as being selfish.

He knows when to release the ball and when to dribble.

He could have scored a goal or 2 today, so unlucky the one he should have scored hit the cross-bar.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:25pm On Oct 18, 2017
But I read there is no break clause in his loan contract.

daveP:
I get u. just wanted to stay right behind his performance b4 excuses are made. if he isnt back at everton come january, i'l know sabotage is up. but twil stil be their loss anyways.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:26pm On Oct 18, 2017
forgiveness:

He played 45 minutes in Girona-fc last game. Old things have passed away. grin

Yeah, I seriously hope so.

I'd love that he gets his sitting right in the LaLiga. After Ike Uche, we've not had another player lighting up the LaLiga like he did.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:29pm On Oct 18, 2017
Kog45:
Good old days primary school,not safari aje butter primary school.

Principal Cup produced 1985 Golden Eaglet,one of my area brother Dele Abubakar made d team.I remember Nduka Ugbade made d team direct from st Finbarrs,so sometimes am always wondering why we always tagged our boys as over aged.

It was after Kodak U17 WC in 1985 that Kwara State hosted youth sports festival, most of these players represented their various states,Victor Igbinoba(Bendel)now Edo,Nduka Ugbade(Lagos)Fatal Atere(Lagos)Bella Momoh(Edo)Dele Abubakar(Kwara)

It must be noted that majority of 1987 U17 were products of Kwara sport festival, player like Dimeji Lawal,Bawa Abdullahi, Oladuni Oyekale,Peter Ogaba Christopher Nwosu.

The final of d sport festival was a thriller match between Bendel and Anambra with Victor Igbinoba scoring d goal

Pure secondary school boys then,Nigeria just need to go back to grassroots sports development.

Alot of these players where hired as mechenaries by these schools. Its not unusual to find schools employing the services of "mechey" to prosecute Inter school tournaments.
Corruption has eaten deep into the fabrics of Nigeria. 99% of games masters in primary schools outsource for mechenaries at that level.

If forced, I can name a popular ex youth international who played as mecheneary for various secondary schools more then 6 -7 years after he wrote WAEC.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:29pm On Oct 18, 2017
Joebie:
But I read there is no break clause in his loan contract.

Lemme confirm this....

Modified

work permit stuff...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:32pm On Oct 18, 2017
just wanted to be sure, because stats don't tell the whole story. Some experience could come handy at the word cup though. We can't bank totally on these lads.

junnyjake:

Onyekuru was arguably the best player or Anderlecht today, that's not me exaggerating.

His touches were clean, he's learning how to bring his teammates into the game, not like last season when he was tagged as being selfish.

He knows when to release the ball and when to dribble.

He could have scored a goal or 2 today, so unlucky the one he should have scored hit the cross-bar.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 11:34pm On Oct 18, 2017
Mickael2:

Your friend's case was probably rare which was why you all knew about it, it happens. I am assuimg you grew up in the East, 15 or 16 I can and work with anyday but 14? Anyways
Bro my nephew is 13. dude took wassce this year. and he is about 6ft tall with beards. so i don't even know what. you guys are arguing about. someone says he is 20, accept it unless you have a proof to discredit their claim... If you see me presently you might think I'm probably 20 cause of my young look and scanty beards. I don't understand why Nigerians derive joy in ridiculing our own and when foreigners starts calling us name, we join force to fight then yet we gave them what they use against us... please stop making Nigeria and Nigerians look bad, even if we cheat, we ain't alone in it. south americans etc cheat... Look closely at coasta and tell me he looks his age. how many times have you seen Spaniards call him out for age cheating This nonsense must stop. some fools even fake stories claiming they attended same schools with the player just to ridicule them. it might sound funny to you but it's foolishness. No be una born them!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:34pm On Oct 18, 2017
Thank you! I don't think we ever had it right with grassroots development.

goldfish80:

Alot of these players where hired as mechenaries by these schools. Its not unusual to find schools employing the services of "mechey" to prosecute Inter school tournaments.
Corruption has eaten deep into the fabrics of Nigeria. 99% of games masters in primary schools outsource for mechenaries at that level.

If forced, I can name a popular ex youth international who played as mecheneary for various secondary schools more then 6 -7 years after he wrote WAEC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:40pm On Oct 18, 2017
Joebie:
Thank you! I don't think we ever had it right with grassroots development.

Corruption everywhere. Grassroot football is not spared, corruption is a scurge we can't help but live with in naij.
One academy like that went for a competition outside their state . I think they lost in the group stages of the tournament, you know what their manager did? He simply walked into a sports shop and bought a trophy which was presented to the club financier.. Lol

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:40pm On Oct 18, 2017
Joebie:
just wanted to be sure, because stats don't tell the whole story. Some experience could come handy at the word cup though. We can't bank totally on these lads.

Do we have experienced wingers who should be considered in the place of the ones we already have??

I don't seem to get your point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:41pm On Oct 18, 2017
Throwback pic of Ekong at Tottenham.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:44pm On Oct 18, 2017
SUPER EAGLES INJURY UPDATE

Onazi Delighted To Overcome Injury Setback
October 18, 2017 8:56 pm
By James Agberebi

Super Eagles midfielder Ogenyi Onazi is delighted to have overcome his injury setback and returned to training at his Turkish Super Lig side, Trabzonspor, Completeaportsnigeria.com report’s.

Onazi sustained an injury in the first half of the Super Eagles‘ 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying Group B match against the Chipolopolo of Zambia in Uyo on October 7.

He was stretchered off the pitch and was replaced by Bursaspor midfielder Mikel Agu.

The Eagles went on to win the game 1-0 thanks to Alex Iwobi’s strike which secured the 2018 World Cup ticket with a game to spare.

Commenting on his quick recovery and return to training, Onazi said that his attention was on Trabzonspor’s away league game against Yeni Malatyaspor on Saturday.

“I feel so good and blessed to be back sooner than expected. All thanks to the medical team. Next game on my mind,” he tweeted on his verified Twitter handle.

--completeSportsNigeria

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:46pm On Oct 18, 2017
i'm speaking generally. Although it's a great thing to have a youthful team, let's not ignore experienced players who are still performing.
some of these young lads will be overwhelmed by the occasion when the time comes.

junnyjake:

Do we have experienced wingers who should be considered in the place of the ones we already have??

I don't seem to get your point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:53pm On Oct 18, 2017
NIGERIAN MAKES WHOSCORED BEST XI

Chidera Ejike in Eliteserien (Norway) Best XI with the best rating.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:56pm On Oct 18, 2017
goldfish80:

I can still remember vividly how some schools dey hire machineries left right and center for the competitions I witnessed during my days in school.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:59pm On Oct 18, 2017
SUPER EAGLES IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Everton Loanee Onyekuru Shines, Flattens Dani Alves In Anderlecht’s Loss To PSG
October 18, 201706

Nigerian forward Henry Onyekuru had a very lively game for Anderlecht despite his team suffering a 0-4 drubbing in the hands of French giants PSG in the third round of games in the UEFA Champions League.

Onyekuru was on from the start against the club where he had medicals before deciding against a move to the club in favour of a transfer to Everton two months ago.

On loan to Anderlecht for the rest of the season, the 20 year old showed his class against PSG Brazilian right back Dani Alves, who struggled to cope with the pace, tricks and power of the Nigerian.

Playing from the left side of attack, Onyekuru who scored 24 goals last season for modest Belgium side Eupen proved to be a very tough nut to handle for the defence of PSG particularly Alves.

Alves who is known for his traditional runs from defence to attack was kept in check by the Nigerian who went past him with ease and even came close to scoring but his effort came off the bar.

Michael James

--OwnGoalNigeria

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:03am On Oct 19, 2017
when people say let's go back to the days, I start to wonder, when countries are moving forward. If we want to develop football from the grassroots let's learn from those who got it right over the years and possibly improve on it -- why not?
Like i said before, it would take sincerity and integrity to accomplish this. Our pursuit of abroad-bred players is a different kettle of fish. Smart countries get the best talents wherever and whenever they can.
goldfish80:

Corruption everywhere. Grassroot football is not spared, corruption is a scurge we can't help but live with in naij.
One academy like that went for a competition outside their state . I think they lost in the group stages of the tournament, you know what their manager did? He simply walked into a sports shop and bought a trophy to show the club financier.. Lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:27am On Oct 19, 2017
ALGERIA VS NIGERIA DEAD RUBBER UPDATE

Should the Super Eagles Assistant Coach's statement be anything to go by, we will parade mostly our bench when we take on Algeria on November 10th
Yusuf said, in an interview with NAN,

“Some of the players have not been opportune to play, so this match will offer them such opportunity,” .
“We know there is nothing to be scared of because we already have the World Cup ticket but our interest now is to have a blended team”.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PROVERBZ(m): 12:32am On Oct 19, 2017
My first time of watching onyekuru play from starting to end

What I noticed
The guy is fast could have scored earlier in the game but his header was saved by the PSG keeper the way he sneaked into the defence to take the header very fast

No 2 he should keep a calm head I noticed after he teases dani alves with a brilliant skill alves was looking to provoke him and he succeeded when he pushed onyekuru and onyekuru pushed him back in the process getting a yellow card

3rdly the guy knows how to calm the game down and play connecting passes something the while team lacked as they where always in a hurry and where easily dispossessed

And lastly he is not going to develope by staying in Anderlecht he should return to Everton his team mates are shiiiiii. The only players who knew what they where doing where the Ghanaian guy mensah ,onyekuru and one Bruno who is on loan from Leipzig only den for me

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:37am On Oct 19, 2017
NIGERIAN MAKES WHOSCORED BEST XI

Mikel Agu, like Ejike, had the highest rating in the Turkish Super Lig. He made the Best XI of the week.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:39am On Oct 19, 2017
Would love to see him play against Algeria.

PROVERBZ:

What I noticed
The guy is fast could have scored earlier in the game but his header was saved by the PSG keeper the way he sneaked into the defence to take the header very fast

No 2 he should keep a calm head I noticed after he teases dani alves with a brilliant skill alves was looking to provoke him and he succeeded when he pushed onyekuru and onyekuru pushed him back in the process getting a yellow card

3rdly the guy knows how to calm the game down and play connecting passes something the while team lacked as they where always in a hurry and where easily dispossessed

And lastly he is not going to develope by staying in Anderlecht he should return to Everton his team mates are shiiiiii. The only players who knew what they where doing where the Ghanaian guy mensah ,onyekuru and one Bruno who is on loan from Leipzig only den for me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:08am On Oct 19, 2017
PROVERBZ:

What I noticed

You truly watched the game.

Their defense is shitty! they just be dashing their opponents goals unnecessarily. Same thing happened against Celtic.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:22am On Oct 19, 2017
Onyekuru adds unpredictability to Nigeria. Similar to Victor Moses. I think, he can be an important part of our world cup campaign.

For Algeria,

Starting Line-up

Ezenwa(Currently number 1 and deservedly)
Aina LB
Balogun
Ekong (Oyinbo wall is the most likely WC defensive partnership, the more they play together, the better)
Ebuehi (Time to justify your invites)
Onazi (Back to fitness, always ready to do a job)
Etebo (has not been seen in recent games, time to come back to reckoning)
Ogu (Another one that needs to justify invites)
Onyekuru (To add offensive bite)
Iwobi
Ighalo
(In better form than Kelechi)

The team above can beat Algeria away. I think it is a fine blend of experimentation and blending players into the team.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 3:40am On Oct 19, 2017
Onyekuru has something most Nigerian players don't exhibit while playing abroad. CONFIDENCE

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by freesinzu(m): 4:17am On Oct 19, 2017
PROVERBZ:

What I noticed

He got the card for trying to block a free kick
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:39am On Oct 19, 2017
goldfish80:

Oh hired as mercenaries well i don't know of that but i remember that after Kodak U 17 WC most of these players came to represent their state at Kwara 85.

Also principal cup was in vogue then to discover young talents and also YSFON was in place to catch them young.

I hope u know Olapade Adenekan,an athlete,j can tell u authoritatively that he started representing Nigeria when he was in secondary school, traveling out of d country as a secondary school boy and later representing Nigeria at Olympics and various world championship.

In my secondary school i was part of school football team and i can tell u no single external player in our team.

My school represented Nigeria at youth handball game in Sweden with no external player.

Honestly u are free to name d ex player that played as mercenary for various schools,that's d reason we call it forum where u can say it out and people w make contributions.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:03am On Oct 19, 2017
Joebie:
when people say let's go back to the days, I start to wonder, when countries are moving forward. If we want to develop football from the grassroots let's learn from those who got it right over the years and possibly improve on it -- why not?
Like i said before, it would take sincerity and integrity to accomplish this. Our pursuit of abroad-bred players is a different kettle of fish. Smart countries get the best talents wherever and whenever they can.
Jobie pls has anybody on this thread condemned our pursuit of foreign born players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:04am On Oct 19, 2017
Mickael2:

Your friend's case was probably rare which was why you all knew about it, it happens. I am assuimg you grew up in the East, 15 or 16 I can and work with anyday but 14? Anyways
My sis graduated from sec school at 14. Had to take 2 years of As and A levels plus and a gap year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:07am On Oct 19, 2017
Apparently Onyekuru raped Alves yesterday. He has to play against Algeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 5:23am On Oct 19, 2017
komekn:

Arjen Robben, Danny Alves, Christiano Ronaldo, Jermain Defoe, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Van Perspective, etc, etc these are some of the best players in the world. Would you now call them Veterans, Danny Alves is considered the best RB in the World. According to you he should be on the dust heap as a veteran.

Most of the players mentioned above are either Older than Obagoal a goal or in his age range.

So what's your point.
was it the same Alves Onyekuru used to polish his skills yesterday you're talking about or another

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1841) (1842) (1843) (1844) (1845) (1846) (1847) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christology(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.