Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,902 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13827) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11698502 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13824) (13825) (13826) (13827) (13828) (13829) (13830) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Xlad(m): 10:41pm On Nov 17, 2022
God bless you for this comment.. the hype was too much on him today. He was dragged out if position many times in first half. I will still take ola, ebuehi before him.

forgiveness:

I don't know how we watch football ooo but I think Osayi doesn't add to the attack and he lacks positioning.

Aina would have added more offensively and defensively.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 10:43pm On Nov 17, 2022
drDoom3:
If I was a coach I would substitute Dennis immediately.
Long time bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ABIODUN105(m): 10:44pm On Nov 17, 2022
minfelix:

Bro wetin dey vex me na wen they say he bottle 4-0 lead and he lost to CAR ..all these scenarios never stopped us from topping our various groups nor qualifying for major tournaments....we dey top group wella, even with game to spare ..the CAR we go there house go hammer their life.... The fact is there will always be upset in football...no b congo com here com beat us for Keshi era?
Thanks so much bro

They've forgotten how Gernot Rohr qualified for Russia 2018 world cup and Eygpt 2019 nation cup with no stress and a game to spare.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 10:46pm On Nov 17, 2022
ABIODUN105:
If you too have forgotten let me remind you.

Before Genort Rohr came on board in 2016 Super Eagles could not qualified for two nations cup back to back

Super eagles is ranked 69th in the world.

Super eagles is on the verge of going back to that era

with the way we were playing under rohr during the 2022 wc qualifiers, it seemed as if the man wanted to return us to where he met us. I can't believe there are still people around who will clamour for rohr's return. Even if jp is sacked any time soon rohr should never be called again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:46pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Onyeka was a better performer today than Aribo. No caps.

Infact I am almost tempted to say he even did better than Ndidi. But that can be debated.

His passing was decent although most of them in the defensive half and were back/sideway passes but he lost all his duels and that wasn't pleasing at all.

In all, he was calmer in the middle and he made more passes into the final third than Ndidi and Aribo combined all game. Shocking!

Onyeka is surely one of the midfielders I consider as an option when talking midfield options for the Super Eagles but not as a starter.

Thank you for your honest opinion, unfortunately I wasn't able to watch much of the game after Etebo came in, had to pick up my kid from school, but I did hear that he almost gave away a penalty and an own goal too. Besides those errors, however a couple of folks here have praised Etebo's performance, what's your assessment of him too? Ndidi didn't have a good game today but I won't blame JP for inviting Ndidi. Ndidi must definitely have a long rope before he can be axed from the team. Inevitably if he doesn't regain his form on time, he might get dropped, I hope that doesn't happen though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:47pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Because we will never achieve greatness with negative football. We just stay average for years as we were under Rohr. To the point we had to defend against South Africa.

We will wake up when we are ready to grow.

Coach that can not scout and build a team, is that a coach?

It is u ppl that tag it negative football, a pattern is grinding results for u, u tag it negative... wether negative or not, rohr kept Nigeria's status on top from start of his appointment till his sack...our rank remained African top 3best teams..strikers,defenders,midfielders were all shining under him...we defended against SA and still beat them, wat den do u want .....is SA a baby football nation? This is not 90's where u run over them with the likes of okocha,rashidi,amokachi....bro wake up whay we have now is what rohr utilized to grind out results

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 10:47pm On Nov 17, 2022
A man regularly qualified us for competitions with ease (probably the only coach in recent times who was able to do that), got us a bronze medal in his first major competition with us but ended up losing to Croatia(eventual finalists at the World Cup) and then a 'messi-led' Argentina, but the only thing some people choose to remember about him is a 4-4 draw against Sierra Leone and a loss to C.A.R, even as he still qualified us for the eventual tournament. That's saddening.

I'm not asking for Rohr's return, neither am I asking people to like him, but at least we should be honest with our statements and give credit where credit is due especially since his replacements so far have done nothing to show they're better than him. If you're too strong-headed for that, then I don't know what to tell you.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:48pm On Nov 17, 2022
codemaniacs:

The good game plan is in having midfielders.. As long as S.E continues to not call up onyedika, Nwakali, alhassan-yusuf.

Then no matter who the coach is the S.E will always lose or draw.

Who tell you dat one? Didn't we play with the same trio against Brazil and did well?

Oga! Coach no get game plan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ABIODUN105(m): 10:49pm On Nov 17, 2022
Amedino99:
with the way we were playing under rohr during the 2022 wc qualifiers, it seemed as if the man wanted to return us to where he met us. I can't believe there are still people around who will clamour for rohr's return. Even if jp is sacked any time soon rohr should never be called again[s][/s].
Bro with all due respect this your comment is nothing but rubbish

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2022
Understand one truth.

Rohr's Super Eagles of 2016-2019 is not the same as Rohr's Super Eagles of 2020-2021.

It is the last 1.5 years of Rohr's tenure between 2020 and 2021 that saw us touch some of our worst in football. We were on a serious decline under this man and there is no way we would have qualified for the WC or done even better at the Afcon.

He had to go.

The only problem is Clueless Pinnick employed a Monotonous hand in Eguavoen and even worse employed a man who used Wyscout/Instat apps to confuse his head with WC Final promises.

I mean, even me sabi use Wyscout naa. grin

ABIODUN105:
Thanks so much bro

They've forgotten how Gernot Rohr qualified for Russia 2018 world cup and Eygpt 2019 nation cup with no stress and a game to spare.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2022
I pray mk jpes give nwakali a chance mk pple eye clear cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Xlad(m): 10:51pm On Nov 17, 2022
3-5-2 would have been the best formation against a team like Portugal. Onyedika, onyeka, ndidi, iwobi aribo should have been the midfielders for this match. Start ndidi as CDM, Onyedika/Onyeka as CM and iwobi as AM.

This current NFF president is the worst compared to that delta state guy. The current NFF president last interview made me to remove mind from him. They should remove him from that post. Use EFFC/ICPC to get to picnick, then use it to get to this current president, they are all corrupt and if they dig just little, they will find stinking stuffs to use and nab him. Send him to jail and conduct a new election.

AndSunGorilla:

Oga knowing JP and his formations, even if he called up any of these 3 players, he could still play with 2 midfielders and I believe we would still have had the same outcome, most likely, he could have just Onyedika and Iwobi, same thing he would do. Before we start talking personnel, it's important we address our shape too and formation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:51pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Onyeka was a better performer today than Aribo. No caps.

Infact I am almost tempted to say he even did better than Ndidi. But that can be debated.

His passing was decent although most of them in the defensive half and were back/sideway passes but he lost all his duels and that wasn't pleasing at all.

In all, he was calmer in the middle and he made more passes into the final third than Ndidi and Aribo combined all game. Shocking!

Onyeka is surely one of the midfielders I consider as an option when talking midfield options for the Super Eagles but not as a starter.

Ndidi was the reason we played woefully in the first half. He is not the Ndidi I know.

Today, Onyeka out performed him.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 10:52pm On Nov 17, 2022
forgiveness:

Who tell you dat one? Didn't we play with the same trio against and did well?

Oga! Coach no get game plan.
When did they do well

SE didn't qualify for the world cup.
SE has lost all the friendly matches they have played in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:53pm On Nov 17, 2022
Pple funny here sha cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:55pm On Nov 17, 2022
Xlad:
3-5-2 would have been the best formation against a team like Portugal. Onyedika, onyeka, ndidi, iwobi aribo should have been the midfielders for this match. Start ndidi as CDM, Onyedika/Onyeka as CM and iwobi as AM.

This current NFF president is the worst compared to that delta state guy. The current NFF president last interview made me to remove mind from him. They should remove him from that post. Use EFFC/ICPC to get to picnick, then use it to get to this current president, they are all corrupt and if they dig just little, they will find stinking stuffs to use and nab him. Send him to jail and conduct a new election.

you sabi ball man! Even almighty analyst them wey full here no sabi say na the best formation to face a superior team like Portugal

Load the middle with able wingbacks to drive forward when the need arise
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 10:56pm On Nov 17, 2022
Xlad:

Remove Aribo and put Nwakali, Awoniyi or ihenacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:57pm On Nov 17, 2022
“Sir pls I understand and respect your opinion”

“Sir you said it all”

Laff wan burst my big belle this night cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:57pm On Nov 17, 2022
cheesy iheanacho kwa! shocked Hahahahahahahaha
codemaniacs:

Remove Aribo and put Nwakali, Awoniyi or ihenacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:58pm On Nov 17, 2022
Meliforme:

Gernot Rohr had Mikel, Onazi, Etebo in midfield. Mikel left, Onazi battled injuries.
Our games saw it's gravest decline when Etebo is either not in the squad or is not starting.

The was inevitable, we are neither Germany nor Spain, it is expected if those top guys were fading there will be some form of drop, it happens to African team ..even our golden boys days...as they were leaving we started experiencing decline, it's normal but that doesn't stop the old man from pushing through....person qualify us to Afcon and WC play off una sack am.....e sure me we and Ghana for drag 0-0 enter penalty....shey u dey whine me ni ooooo, shey u dey whine obarise

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:59pm On Nov 17, 2022
Meliforme:

Chukwueze is class ahead of Moses Simon and Ademola Lookman at things stands. When i saw the lineup, I guessed what the tactics might be and pondered why Lookman will start ahead of Chukwueze that is if we go 4-3-3.

Don't be fooled by Chukwueze's cameo, he does this week-in week out at Villareal.

Brother delivers more consistent performances from the bench than from the start.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 11:00pm On Nov 17, 2022
JP needs to start getting results. Yes friendly games but the losses are accumulating. Nobody would remember about any excuses whether valid or not. He has to learn from his mistakes and assess the opposition. What worked against Sao Tome won't work against the likes of Portugal and Algeria!! No b 9ja? If he keeps on losing, friendly or not, he would get the stick.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:01pm On Nov 17, 2022
You welcome.

And Etebo shaa. The less said shaa on those shaky moments but he too was decent in his passing and tried to be progressive with 2 pass entries into the Final third. Etebo has always been a confident ball holder but today he kinda looked a bit off his game. Aside that his passing was decent.

And it pains me to again admit that Ndidi is on some
kind of a decline unless he can arrest the situation. It hurts me because he remains, for now, our most highly rated midfielder in Europe on the back of his strong CDM performances over the years in the EPL for Leicester.

We have to establish his successor sooner rather than later in the SE. He is still a leader in the team and should not be excused so easily. I trust we still need his leadership but we need upgrades in his position and we have them already. We have to act true if we wanna see improvements in the middle.

And Hey, My Hi to your kid. wink

AndSunGorilla:

Thank you for your honest opinion, unfortunately I wasn't able to watch much of the game after Etebo came in, had to pick up my kid from school, but I did hear that he almost gave away a penalty and an own goal too. Besides those errors, however a couple of folks here have praised Etebo's performance, what's your assessment of him too? Ndidi didn't have a good game today but I won't blame JP for inviting Ndidi. Ndidi must definitely have a long rope before he can be axed from the team. Inevitably if he doesn't regain his form on time, he might get dropped, I hope that doesn't happen though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 11:01pm On Nov 17, 2022
charlesemeka85:
cheesy iheanacho kwa! shocked Hahahahahahahaha

You see the through pass Iwobi gave Chukwueze that chuks didn't score.

I have only seen Peter olayinka, Nwakali, Ihenacho, Awoniyi give such passes..

People that have the skill to play such passes is what the midfield is lacking and that means too much reliance on Iwobi and overworking Iwobi..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 11:03pm On Nov 17, 2022
codemaniacs:

You see the through pass Iwobi gave Chukwueze that chuks didn't score.

I have only seen Peter olayinka, Nwakali, Ihenacho, Awoniyi give such passes..

People that have the skill to play such passes is what the midfield is lacking and that means too much reliance on Iwobi and overworking Iwobi..

Funny thing Chukwueze gave the same pass to Onuachu who ran out of ideas.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:03pm On Nov 17, 2022
Amedino99:
with the way we were playing under rohr during the 2022 wc qualifiers, it seemed as if the man wanted to return us to where he met us. I can't believe there are still people around who will clamour for rohr's return. Even if jp is sacked any time soon rohr should never be called again.

I would have preferred he dragged us backto that status he picked us from, so we can finally nail him with mad mad criticism, not assuming he was dragging us because of u guys were tired of him.....una jus sack person for yeye reasons(he is not subbing ontime, he is conservative) bla bla bla....jagajaga reasons

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:04pm On Nov 17, 2022
codemaniacs:

When did they do well

SE didn't qualify for the world cup.
SE has lost all the friendly matches they have played in.

I meant we played with the same trio against Brazil

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:05pm On Nov 17, 2022
Watching Israel vs Zambia friendly replay. This Zambian team go trash this our current super eagles team I swear cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 11:06pm On Nov 17, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

Funny thing Chukwueze gave the same pass to Onuachu who ran out of ideas.

They took light after chuks missed one on one so I didn't see the full game.. let me add chuks to the list.

Just that I see chuks as someone who holds onto the ball for long.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:07pm On Nov 17, 2022
codemaniacs:

They took light after chuks missed one on one so I didn't see the full game.. let me add chuks to the list.

Just that I see chuks as someone who holds onto the ball for long.
u no get gen? cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 11:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
charlesemeka85:
u no get gen? cheesy

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
Subzero047:

I was actually commending you on your remarkable prediction, Nobody saw a Nigeria loss coming

I saw it.
That's why I opted for 4-4-2, and 4-5-1 during defensive play. Overload the midfield and end the game there.

Ndidi shouldn't have been taken off. He provides good cover for our CB's.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13824) (13825) (13826) (13827) (13828) (13829) (13830) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.