Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11689343 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 3:32pm On Jun 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
In terms of experience in African football, yes, Milovan Rajevac trumps Rogic, Stefanovic and the other Serb.

He also edges Le Guen in African football experience...... But is he better than Le Guen?? Absolute No!!!

Yes u're right. According to experience, Le Guen is far better. Le Guen have managed top clubs in europe but he missed it with the cameroonian team.
The problem here is we need someone who have the experience and understand Africa football.. That's why Milovan Rajevac stands as the best out of the three folks.

Besides, what's special about these serbian coaches?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:46pm On Jun 29, 2016
Paul le Guen's credentials are far more intimidating than that of Rajevac. Rajevac have only about two-three years edge over Le Guen in African football alone.

And he didn't exactly fail with Cameroun. He came into a five month contract and qualified Cameroun for the World cup 2010.

His contract got extended a little more and he led Cameroun to the Quarters of Afcon 2010 losing to Eventual winners Egypt.

He resigned shortly after Cameroun were knocked out of the World cup in the first round.

p
lakesidepapa:

Yes u're right. According to experience, Le Guen is far better. Le Guen have managed top clubs in europe but he missed it with the cameroonian team.
The problem here is we need someone who have the experience and understand Africa football.. That's why Milovan Rajevac stands as the best out of the three folks.

Besides, what's special about these serbian coaches?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:17pm On Jun 29, 2016
my take on the coaching issue is for the NFF to appoint the best they can find be it local or foreign

i'm biased towards picking a local coach but let's be pragmatic. no local coach for now has the requisite experience or qualification to handle the senior national team. yusuf's coaching ability is unknown for now which we can not afford to experiment on based on the nearness and sensitivity of the world cup qualifiers. amunike yes he has potential maybe making him the assistant to whichever foreign coach we get will him help him gain experience on the job

on which foreign coach we should employ i don't think the name or cv of the guy should bother us the most but if his football philosophy matches our own and if he's hungry or ambitious enough to succeed. remember people like bronu metsu, harve renard, westerhof etc were relative unknowns before they succeeded with senegal, zambia/ivory coast and nigeria

if i had my way i would scour the dutch league and find one ambitious guy to coach us. remember dutch coaches like westerhof and bonfere jo seemed to know how to get the best out of nigerian players. plus the times siasia did well in the olympics and under 20s he had a dutch assistant. i think the dutch style closely matches nigerian pattern of play which would help the coach adapt seamlessly while bringing the european structure and discipline.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tiedee: 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2016
I wonder why nobody is talking about the former Algerian manager. I think that manager did a decent job with the Algerian national team. Cc, thegoodjoe,icon,safarigirl,thesupernerd,tetzrum,chrisblog,micheal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 4:46pm On Jun 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Paul le Guen's credentials are far more intimidating than that of Rajevac. Rajevac have only about two-three years edge over Le Guen in African football alone.

And he didn't exactly fail with Cameroun. He came into a five month contract and qualified Cameroun for the World cup 2010.

His contract got extended a little more and he led Cameroun to the Quarters of Afcon 2010 losing to Eventual winners Egypt.

He resigned shortly after Cameroun were knocked out of the World cup in the first round.

p

@he led Cameroun to the Quarters of Afcon 2010 losing to Eventual winners Egypt.

Those sentences show he's not the type we want with our pedigree in Africa football.
His history as a Africa football team is nothing to write home about despite the fact that the cameroonian team have great players.
Rajevac first tourney with a africa team(Ghana team) showed class, he took the black stars to the quarter final at the 2010 world cup but reverse was the case for Le Guen, he was knock out in the first stage.
It's a pity nothing works in this country, the Nff technical committees are olodos.. They will see the right way but they would prefer to ply the bush..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:52pm On Jun 29, 2016
He is Christian Gourcuff.... coached Algeria from 2014 to May This year....

He's a top coach with lots of experience but unfortunately he left Algeria because of a French Ligue 1 Job at Stade Rennais... he was announced to take over in may 2016.

So in other words, he is out of our reach....

tiedee:
I wonder why nobody is talking about the former Algerian manager. I think that manager did a decent job with the Algerian national team. Cc, thegoodjoe,icon,safarigirl,thesupernerd,tetzrum,chrisblog,micheal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:56pm On Jun 29, 2016
Very true.... based on what he's done in Africa, Nigeria deserves someone better.

His European achievements are very very good but his African sojourn is not fantastic... just have mixed results...

Let's see who the NFF announces as coach. I am bracing up.... that's all.

But remember what Ranieri's CV was like before he took over at Leicester.... wink

He had very few successes here and there and lots of second places and minor triumphs....

This was the last entrance into his CV before her took over and made history at Leicester...

""Ranieri was appointed manager of the Greece national football team following the departure of Fernando Santos after the 2014 FIFA World Cup , signing a two-year contract worth €1.6 million.

Compared to their previous stability under Otto Rehhagel and Fernando Santos, Ranieri often changed line-ups and formations, confusing the players; moreover he did not live in Greece.

He was sacked on 15 November 2014, the day after a UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying defeat at home against the Faroe Islands....""

So you see.... no guarantees sometimes in football... some really good coaches may come in disguise or may actually have shown that pedigree in their most recent job.... But it's logical we look first at recent achievements and his Whole CV of achievements and performances.... and also playing philosophy... even before his hunger and passion comes into play...

After all, that's the way of the logical world... Lol...

Me, I stand for a mix of both the logical and the illogical... variation of each varies from time to time.... wink

lakesidepapa:

@he led Cameroun to the Quarters of Afcon 2010 losing to Eventual winners Egypt.

Those sentences show he's not the type we want with our pedigree in Africa football.
His history as a Africa football team is nothing to write home about despite the fact that the cameroonian team have great players.
Rajevac first tourney with a africa team(Ghana team) showed class, he took the black stars to the quarter final at the 2010 world cup but reverse was the case for Le Guen, he was knock out in the first stage.
It's a pity nothing works in this country, the Nff technical committees are olodos.. They will see the right way but they would prefer to ply the bush..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:10pm On Jun 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Sir GoodJoe.... I don't think this is matter of who is better between a foreign coach and an indigenous coach. We have indigenous coaches who trumped their foreign counterparts... Keshi did it... Even Amodu did it.

Eguavoen did it to some extent at Egypt 2006 Afcon also.

But the issue now is to get a coach we will stick with for the next 3-4.5 yrs.... while preparing the way for the likes of Amuneke, Amapakabo, Maikaba, Boboye et al to rise more and mature enough for takeover by the time 2020 comes around ahead of Qatar 2022.... most especially Amuneke... coz his football philosophy is very sound indeed.

Salisu Yusuf is our only sound local option for the Super Eagles and if we do as you say and he flunks against Those stronger teams nko.... what then??

We got no time for experimentation now... We need to take a sound logical decision and appoint a good coach with some sound credentials. October 3rd is not far off....

We need to look beyond our shores just this one More time not because the foreign coaches are better but because, AT THE MOMENT, we lack options for the role ourselves locally.... what we have now are Skilled Coaches still rising in the game with lots and lots of potentials and will need a little more time before they take the reins of the Super Eagles on a substantive basis.

But in the long run and after all is said and done, It is still the disorganization of the NFF and the cluelessness of the sports minister that will make things complicated... exacerbating an already bad situation.

Well, I still Believe.....

I am not against a foreign Coach option. I am against the two names the NFF are flaunting. Those guys do not have what it takes to get me excited. Their brand of football will not suit the talents on ground.

If the NFF proffered better names, men that will get us playing a beautiful brand of attacking football, I will hop on the idea. However spending so much for such coaches sounds ridiculous to me.

So it is not about looking outside the Shores of Nigeria but looking into our talents and finding the right Coach that will suit us.

We have loads of brilliant tactical minds home and abroad. So far, it is clear the NFF are reactive and not proactive to solve our problem. If these are names, sticking and growing with a bright local option is the best option.

These names are not better tactically than Coach Amunike. So why spend more on them when we can get Coach Amunike for a cheaper wage bill.

As I said before, what is the philosophy of these coaches. We can talk of the 4-2fantasy of Leonardo, we can talk of the 3-3-3-1 formation of Bielsa which requires creative players who can keep the ball and press when they lose the ball.

These names the NFF are fighting for are not promising and it is looking like we are walking into another Coach Oliseh situation.

Pinnick is definitely a disaster. He created this mess.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
Honestly, I know Amuneke is in with a shot at the Super Eagles Job in the next few years BUT definitely not now....

I have my eyes and ears on Amuneke but now is certainly not the time.

I wish we could get someone better than Le Guen or Stefanovic but in "Safarigirl's voice", "Wetin Man go do?"

It's still in the hands of the "Powerful" NFF....

TheGoodJoe:

I am not against a foreign Coach option. I am against the two names the NFF are flaunting. Those guys do not have what it takes to get me excited. Their brand of football will not suit the talents on ground.

If the NFF proffered better names, men that will get us playing a beautiful brand of attacking football, I will hop on the idea. However spending so much for such coaches sounds ridiculous to me.

So it is not about looking outside the Shores of Nigeria but looking into our talents and finding the right Coach that will suit us.

We have loads of brilliant tactical minds home and abroad. So far, it is clear the NFF are reactive and not proactive to solve our problem. If these are names, sticking and growing with a bright local option is the best option.

These names are not better tactically than Coach Amunike. So why spend more on them when we can get Coach Amunike for a cheaper wage bill.

As I said before, what is the philosophy of these coaches. We can talk of the 4-2fantasy of Leonardo, we can talk of the 3-3-3-1 formation of Bielsa which requires creative players who can keep the ball and press when they lose the ball.

These names the NFF are fighting for are not promising and it is looking like we are walking into another Coach Oliseh situation.

Pinnick is definitely a disaster. He created this mess.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Honestly, I know Amuneke is in with a shot at the Super Eagles Job in the next few years BUT definitely not now....

I have my eyes and ears on Amuneke but now is certainly not the time.

I wish we could get someone better than Le Guen or Stefanovic but in "Safarigirl's voice", "Wetin Man go do?"

It's still in the hands of the "Powerful" NFF....

I still remember Guardiola's takeover of Barcelona. I was so sure he would do well because of the brand of football he played with the likes of Dos Santos, Pedro, Busquets, Jeffren etc.

Actually, Coach Amunike is ready as long as he sticks to his principles. Guardiola lacked less experience in Coaching when he took over Barca and raised the best team in club football history.

Although I am still okay with Coach Amunike growing into the role.

What I feel would have been the best thing to do is to organize a tough friendly against a top team. Let us see how Good Salisu is before rushing to sign a foreign Coach. Salisu might have more to offer but we can not know without testing him.

As for me. If we are going foreign, we should go well with ambition.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 5:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
I'm wondering where they will get the funds to hire the expensive foreigners when they are still owing Siasia, Amunike and Manu Garba. It was reported that some of the U-23 will pay their airfares to America. The U20 boys are still being owed match bonuses. The U-17 boys are being accommodated in mosquito-infested hostels.

If they say they cannot find funds for the above, where are they going to get funds to pay the expatriates? You would recall that they had issues of salary payments with Vogts and Lagerback. They often complained.

Until we do something about the NFF, we will only be hacking at the branches. The fundamental issue is the administration of the sport in this country.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 5:42pm On Jun 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Very true.... based on what he's done in Africa, Nigeria deserves someone better.

His European achievements are very very good but his African sojourn is not fantastic... just have mixed results...

Let's see who the NFF announces as coach. I am bracing up.... that's all.

But remember what Ranieri's CV was like before he took over at Leicester.... wink

He had very few successes here and there and lots of second places and minor triumphs....

This was the last entrance into his CV before her took over and made history at Leicester...

So you see.... no guarantees sometimes in football... some really good coaches may come in disguise or may actually have shown that pedigree in their most recent job.... But it's logical we look first at recent achievements and his Whole CV of achievements and performances.... and also playing philosophy... even before his hunger and passion comes into play...

After all, that's the way of the logical world... Lol...

Me, I stand for a mix of both the logical and the illogical... variation of each varies from time to time.... wink

I understand The super Nerd smiley let hope for the best, sometimes CV doesn't work but experience will always be on point,,, that's why experience is the best teacher..
Le Guen had a little experience with an african team and let's hope he can get it right this time around with another africa giant team if he eventually get the job.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:23pm On Jul 03, 2016
And another Nigerian player lands for good in the EPL.... wink

For an initial sum of £21million... which could still rise higher (based on performances-related bonuses and add-ons), he will land in England on Tuesday for his medicals with Leicester City.

His name..... AHMED "The Speedster" MUSA.... smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 2:17pm On Jul 07, 2016
View all columnists View all Sport24 forums The opinion Football | Super Eagles Reinforcement in the wings for Eagles by Andrew Randa 07 July 2016, 14:13 There might be a new set of faces in the Super Eagles when the qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia kicks off in October. Officials of the Nigeria Football Federation have been in contact with some foreign-born players to fortify the squad ahead of the qualifiers. Nigeria is in Group B of the qualifiers alongside Algeria, Cameroun and Zambia which has necessitated the Federation to give the team more options within the playing personnel. After relative successes with Alexander Iwobi, Victor Moses, William Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun and Carl Ikeme, the Nigeria Football Federation have contacted the duo of Moses Odubajo [above] and Chuba Akpom about the prospects of playing for Nigeria. NFF President Amaju Pinnick revealed that Akpom, [below] who plays for Arsenal Football Club of England but spent last season on loan to Hull City has accepted to play for Nigeria. The striker has played for England at youth level but has apparently committed his future to Nigeria after discussing with the NFF chieftains. Odubajo, a right back was one of Hull City’s best performers last season and he if he finally wears the national colours will bring competition to the right full back slot which has seen several players tested in that position. Like Akpom, Odubajo has also represented England at youth levels but has now set his sights on switching allegiance to Nigeria in time for the World Cup qualifiers. Other players who have been sounded out include Hungarian-born defender Kenneth Otigba who plays in the Eredivisie with SC Heerenveen and youngster Lateef Omidiji. Nigeria will begin it’s 2018 World Cup campaign with an away trip to Zambia’s Chipolopolo on October 3 and then host Algeria on November 7. Cameroun will then be guests of the Super Eagles on August 28, 2017, and then will visit the Lions five days after they clash in Nigeria. Nigeria will host Zambia next before heading to Algiers for the final game of the group on November 7, 2017.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 10:58am On Jul 12, 2016
Super Eagles: Le Guen okayed,
Yusuf loses assistant position

The PUNCH can confirm that the Nigeria Football
Federation officials have settled for Frenchman
Paul Le Guen as the next Super Eagles coach. The
football house had made a shortlist of three
coaches on Friday: Le Guen, Salisu Yusuf and Tom
Saintfiet but few days after have now chosen the
Frenchman who will be introduced to the public
on July 18.
But while the Eagles manager is being confirmed
according to expectations, the position of
assistant coach has taken a new turn as the
federation could seek an alternative person to
work in place of Yusuf who had worked as one of
the assistants to Sunday Oliseh.
Our correspondent learnt on Monday that the NFF
members were already in search of a coach to
work as the Nigerian assistant to Le Guen.
The official said, “As it is now the position of the
deputy has been thrown open because Yusuf is
still insisting that he would not work as an
assistant to Le Guen. Those who worked on their
entries picked the Frenchman and with the hope
that Yusuf could learn a lot from him for the
immediate future but he (Yusuf) appears to have
some other ideas so the federation will now have
to consider a new person altogether to replace
Yusuf.
The former Kano Pillars coach believes he now
has enough managerial wisdom to lead the
Eagles.
In the Federation Cup, the Round of 16 matches of
the men’s competition and the quarter-final
matches of the women’s event will take place
Tuesday (today) and Wednesday.
Sunshine Stars of Akure go up against Akwa
United in Makurdi on Tuesday, as Crown of
Ogbomosho and Enugu Rangers play in Kaduna
on the same day according to the fixtures
released by the FA on Monday.
Rivers United and Shooting Stars of Ibadan are at
each other’s jugular at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium,
Kaduna on Wednesday, while Wikki Tourists of
Bauchi and Plateau United will do battle in Akure
in all-NPFL clashes.
FC IfeanyiUbah will take on Katsina United at the
Kwara Sports Complex, Ilorin on Wednesday,
while Nasarawa United will test might with
Dynamite of Benin City at the Confluence Stadium,
Lokoja on the same day as Warri Wolves are up
against Prime of Oshogbo at the Aper Aku
Stadium, Makurdi.
The postponed Round of 32 clash between
Enyimba and El-Kanemi Warriors will come up in
Abuja also on Wednesday. The winner of the clash
will go up against J. Atete FC of Delta State at a
later date.
In the women’s competition, Abia Angels will take
to the field in Lokoja against Nasarawa Amazons,
as Delta Queens and Katsina Queens do battle in
Abuja on Tuesday, 12th July.

Copyright PUNCH.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 10:32pm On Jul 21, 2016
Spain just appoint a new coach Lopetegui, no drama, no shortlist no recommended, they know what they want and went for it, same with Algeria last month, went for a coach they believe suit their style of play n appoint him, why is Nigerians own case different rated 70th in the world we go about shortlisting, recommending, interviewing at the end we end up getting nothing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:07pm On Jul 21, 2016
zicky:
Spain just appoint a new coach Lopetegui, no drama, no shortlist no recommended, they know what they want and went for it, same with Algeria last month, went for a coach they believe suit their style of play n appoint him, why is Nigerians own case different rated 70th in the world we go about shortlisting, recommending, interviewing at the end we end up getting nothing.

Very Brilliant appointment. He used to coach the junior sides of Spain, Won titles with them. He knows the young players and will not have time selecting his starting eleven.

That is promoting continuity. As much as we want our young stars to develop and become top players after good junior spells. Supporting and promoting the coaches who worked with these young men will help our young players grow.

Nice appointment. Like it. Oliver Torres loading.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:27pm On Aug 02, 2016
Impressive young midfielder Ovie Ejaria is set to miss the rest of Liverpool’s pre-season preparations after suffering a groin injury.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/08/ovie-ejaria-rest-liverpool-pre-season-groin-injury/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:15pm On Aug 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria line up Mikel, Ahmed Musa, Iheanacho for AFCON dead-rubber
[/size]

Mikel, at the Rio Olympics

by Samm Audu

Nigeria will line up their top Europe-based stars led by skipper Mikel Obi for next month’s dead-rubber AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo as a dress rehearsal for the country’s World Cup qualifying campaign.

The Super Eagles begin their Russia 2018 qualifier in Zambia on October 3.

AfricanFootball.com gathered that an earlier proposal to parade only players from the domestic league for the Tanzania game to save costs has been jettisoned.

A bulk of the call-ups for the Tanzania will come from the squad who played the friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg in May.

Mikel and Ahmed Musa were excused for these matches, but will now join up with the likes of Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, Musa Mohammed, Brown Ideye, Ogenyi Onazi and Kelechi Iheanacho for the match against Tanzania.

However, Arsenal youngster Alex Iwobi has been ruled out of the encounter after he suffered an injury in his team’s opening game of the season against Liverpool.

Iwobi, who impressed with the Eagles in May, is out for four weeks after a hip injury.

Last September, Nigeria held Tanzania to a goalless draw in the reverse fixture of this AFCON qualifier.

http://africanfootball.com/news/639300/Nigeria-line-up-Mikel-Ahmed-Musa-Iheanacho-for-AFCON-dead-rubber
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:17pm On Aug 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles vs Tanzania moved to Uyo Sept 3
[/size]

Mikel (left) against South Africa in November 2014 in Uyo

Next month’s final AFCON qualifier between Nigeria and Tanzania will be staged at the Akwa Ibom International Stadium in Uyo.

Earlier media reports had suggested the dead-rubber AFCON qualifier will be played in Port Harcourt.

The match will be played on Saturday, September 3.

The Akwa Ibom Stadium, nicknamed ‘The Nest of Champions’, played host to the Super Eagles 2015 AFCON qualifier against South Africa in November 2014. The match ended in a 2-2 draw.

The Eagles training camp is expected to open on Sunday, August 28.

Egypt have already won the three-team AFCON following the sensational withdrawal of Chad.

Nigeria have two points from three matches, while Tanzania are on a point going into next month’s match in Uyo.

http://africanfootball.com/news/639306/Eagles-vs-Tanzania-moved-to-Uyo-Sept-3
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:19pm On Aug 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria call up 5 Rio Olympics stars, Etebo snubbed but Osimhen in.
[/size]

Etebo not called up by new Eagles coach

by Samm Audu

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has called up five players from the Rio Olympics but with top scorer Oghenekaro Etebo overlooked just as Nigeria U20 star Victor Osimhen got his first Eagles call-up for next month’s AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo.

We first told you

The players from the Olympics are goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel, defenders William Troost-Ekong, Shehu Abdullahi and Kingsley Madu as well as captain Mikel Obi and Imoh Ezekiel.

Youngster Victor Osimhen, who will sign a professional contract in January with German Bundesliga Wolfsburg, has been handed surprise call-up as well by the new Eagles coach.

The match is a dead rubber, as both teams have been eliminated, but Rohr and the Super Eagles are using the game as rehearsal for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying series Matchday 1 clash with Zambia in Ndola in October.

The Franco-German, named Technical Adviser of the Super Eagles by the NFF two weeks ago, has called up three goalkeepers, eight defenders, four midfielders and eight forwards for the game scheduled for the Akwa Ibom International Stadium, Uyo on Saturday, 3rd September.

Captain Mikel, whose sterling leadership of the Nigeria U23 to the Bronze Medal match of the Rio 2016 Olympics has drawn global applause, is joined in the midfield by the energetic Ogenyi Onazi, Belgium –based former youth international Wilfred Ndidi and Israel –based Nosa Igiebor, who has not featured for Nigeria since missing the cut for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Emmanuel Daniel, who has done his reputation no harm with some breath –taking reflex saves at the Olympics, joins Carl Ikeme and Ikechukwu Ezenwa to fight for the gloves, while home –based Jamiu Alimi finds a place amongst Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, Chidozie Awaziem, Abdullahi Shehu, Musa Muhammed, Elderson Echiejile and Kingsley Madu in the defence.

Rohr, a former defender, has also opted for a strong attacking line, with assistant captain Ahmed Musa leading Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon, Victor Moses, Imoh Ezekiel, Odion Ighalo, Brown Ideye and youngster Victor Osimhen.

All the players have been directed to report in Uyo on Sunday, 28th August 2016.

FULL LIST:

Goalkeepers: Carl Ikeme (Wolverhampton Wanderers, England); Emmanuel Daniel (Enugu Rangers); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah)

Defenders: Leon Balogun (FSV Mainz 05, Germany); William Troost-Ekong (Haugesund FC, Norway); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto, Portugal); Jamiu Alimi (Kano Pillars); Abdullahi Shehu (Uniao da Madeira, Portugal); Musa Muhammed (Istanbul Basaksehir, Turkey); Elderson Echiejile (AS Monaco, France), Kingsley Madu (AS Trencin, Slovakia)

Midfielders: Mikel John Obi (Chelsea FC, England); Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor, Turkey); Wilfred Ndidi (KRC Genk, Belgium); Nosa Igiebor (Maccabi Tel Aviv, Israel)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Leicester City, England); Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City, England); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium); Victor Moses (Chelsea FC, England); Imoh Ezekiel (Al-Arabi Sporting Club, Qatar), Odion Ighalo (Watford FC, England); Brown Ideye (Olympiacos FC, Greece); Victor Osimhen (Wolfsburg FC, Germany)

http://africanfootball.com/news/639357/Nigeria-call-up-5-Rio-Olympics-stars-Etebo-snubbed-but-Osimhen-in
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:21pm On Aug 19, 2016
[size=14pt]
Fred Friday fires first Europa League goal
[/size]

Fred Friday (right) on target for Dutch club AZ in Europa League

Nigerian striker Fred Friday netted his first Europa League goal as Dutch club AZ Alkmaar won convincingly 3-0 at Vojvodina of Serbia.

AZ are now just a match away from featuring in the group stage of the Europa League.

The 21-year-old Friday, who joined AZ this summer from Norwegian club Lillestrom, was on target in first half stoppage time as the Dutch club ran away with healthy lead going into next week’s return leg at home.

In another Europa League clash, Nigeria striker Olanrewaju Kayode featured for Austrian Wien in a 2-1 home win over Norwegian club Rosenborg.

Kayode was booked in the 72nd minute and replaced on the stroke of full time.
http://africanfootball.com/news/639232/Fred-Friday-fires-first-Europa-League-goal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
11 Facts About Latest Super Eagles Invitee Chidozie Awaziem Of FC Porto
[/size]

19 year old Chidozie Awaziem who plays for FC Porto was among the new players called up by new Super Eagles coach Genort Rohr for Nigeria AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Tanzania.

Here are 11 facts you need to know about the young defender.

1. Chidozie Awaziem was born in Jos, Plateau State north central Nigeria although his parents are indigenes of Enugu State, Eastern part of Nigeria.

2. He didn’t play a single level of league football in Nigeria before joining FC Porto, he was signed directly from grassroot team El-Kanemi juniors of Jos.

3. He joined FC Porto last season helping their U-19 lift the Juniores title before he was promoted to the reserve team prior to the start of this season.

4. Ironically,Adjmar the scout who spotted him during a scouting programe in Nigeria termed Gee-lec football talent hunt search organized by Ramp football agency is no longer with FC Porto, he now works for Monaco.

5. Six of them were picked during the scouting exercise but only three are presently playing professional football, Awaziem and his Porto teammate Fidelis Irhene who is out on loan to Portimonense and Abass Ibrahim who is presently on the books of Pacos Fereira

6. Still only 19 years old but he stands at an impressive height which aptly describe his strong aerial abilities

7. He started off as a defensive midfielder before he was converted to a central defender at FC Porto probably why he is adept at picking passes in from his present position as a central defender.

8. Among the four Nigerians on the book of FC Porto he is the only one in the first team right now but just like Mikel Agu who is out on loan to Club Brugge, he also made his debut against Benfica at the Estadio da Luiz.

9. Babawo Mohammed presently manage his career as his agent and the former JUTH FC of Jos midfielder is slowly gaining a reputation in Nigeria when it comes to players transfer like well know Portuguese super scout Jorge Mendes.

10. His abilities saw him rise from the U-19 to the first team and subsequently making his debut after just 18 months at the club.

11. He has played 23 times for the B team picking up an unhealthy total of 8 yellow cards and one red card and even though he has just two appearances for the main team he has a caution to his name picked up in his first game for the A team, a League cup game against Farense.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/19/11-facts-about-latest-super-eagles-invitee-chidozie-awaziem-of-fc-porto/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:44pm On Aug 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Amuneke Set For Refresher Course In Spain With Barcelona, Line Up Plans To Visit Guardiola At Manchester City
[/size]

Head coach of the Flying Eagles of Nigeria, Emmanuel Amuneke will in the coming days travel to Spain for a refresher course in coaching, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

The refresher courses have long been planned out before the Flying Eagles failure to qualify for next year Africa Youth Championship after a 4-3 loss to Sudan.

Amuneke will spend time with Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique who was his former teammate during his time with the Catalan based side.

We also gathered he will most likely visit another of his former teammate in England in Pep Guardiola who currently handles Manchester City, where one of Amuneke’s former youth team player Kelechi Iheanacho plays.

” There’s no end to learning, Amuneke is one man who is eager to better himself everyday, hence the reason why he is embarking on a refresher course in Spain with Barcelona, due to his close ties with Luis Enrique, the Barcelona manager” a source told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Although he is yet to get a formal answer from Manchester City boss Guardiola, he will most likely spend time as well at the Etihad pending on the schedule of the club boss who was his teammate at Barcelona”.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/19/amuneke-set-for-refresher-course-in-spain-with-barcelona-line-up-plans-to-visit-guardiola-at-manchester-city/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:48pm On Aug 19, 2016
dijon:
I am sure if it was NIGERIA that appointed this man, he would have been called all manner of ridiculous adjective names, he is Serbia, 2nd rated coach, not better than a nigerian coach". In my own opinion and from my observations over 8 years of saddling nigeria football with our mediocre coaches, who trade players in the national team for their own parochial needs and sentiment, an average European coach who has coached a national team or average club side in Europe is far better than the most intelligent Nigeria coach who has not coached beyond Africa. Until I insist, that until Nigeria coaches eschew themselves of NEPOTISM, PAROCHIAL SENTIMENT, PADDY PADDY PLAYER, GREED AND MEDIOCRITY, I WILL CONTINUE TO STAND WITH AN EUROPEAN COACH.quote author=lakesidepapa post=47040441]The Algeria Football Federation have appointed
former Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac as their
new national coach... Milovan is better than those coaches NFF is roaming with.. Anyway, they need to think and act fast..
What do you have to say about the new list released by our new Coach, especially the invitation of Nosa Igiebor (Maccabi Tel Aviv, Israel) and Jamiu Alimi (Kano Pillars); Jamiu Alimi that performed below par during the CHAN for that matter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Former Flying Eagles Striker Could Leave Crystal Palace On Loan Following Benteke’s Arrival
[/size]

The imminent signing of Christian Benteke could lead to the departure of former Nigeria Under-20 forward Freddy Ladapo from Crystal Palace, Owngoalnigeria.com understands.

Ladapo will most likely head out on loan to a club where he is sure of getting game time as Benteke’s arrival from Liverpool will further push him down the pecking order at Selhurst Park.

23 year old Ladapo joined the team in March from National League South side Margate, after a short trial where he caught the eyes of manager Alan Pardew with a hattrick for the U23s.

He followed that up with a stellar showing during their pre season your and despite been widely tipped to play a part in Crystal Palace quest for honours this season, he could be heading out for a loan spell following Benteke’s arrival.

Still eligible for England and Nigeria at senior level, he was a part of the coach John Obuh Flying Eagles team of 2013 but failed to make the squad to the World Cup in Turkey.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/19/former-flying-eagles-striker-could-leave-crystal-palace-on-loan-following-bentekes-arrival/
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:17pm On Aug 19, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria line up Mikel, Ahmed Musa, Iheanacho for AFCON dead-rubber
[/size]

Mikel, at the Rio Olympics

by Samm Audu

Nigeria will line up their top Europe-based stars led by skipper Mikel Obi for next month’s dead-rubber AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo as a dress rehearsal for the country’s World Cup qualifying campaign.

The Super Eagles begin their Russia 2018 qualifier in Zambia on October 3.

AfricanFootball.com gathered that an earlier proposal to parade only players from the domestic league for the Tanzania game to save costs has been jettisoned.

A bulk of the call-ups for the Tanzania will come from the squad who played the friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg in May.

Mikel and Ahmed Musa were excused for these matches, but will now join up with the likes of Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, Musa Mohammed, Brown Ideye, Ogenyi Onazi and Kelechi Iheanacho for the match against Tanzania.

However, Arsenal youngster Alex Iwobi has been ruled out of the encounter after he suffered an injury in his team’s opening game of the season against Liverpool.

Iwobi, who impressed with the Eagles in May, is out for four weeks after a hip injury.

Last September, Nigeria held Tanzania to a goalless draw in the reverse fixture of this AFCON qualifier.

http://africanfootball.com/news/639300/Nigeria-line-up-Mikel-Ahmed-Musa-Iheanacho-for-AFCON-dead-rubber
[/b]

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:29pm On Aug 19, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria call up 5 Rio Olympics stars, Etebo snubbed but Osimhen in.
[/size]

Etebo not called up by new Eagles coach

by Samm Audu

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has called up five players from the Rio Olympics but with top scorer Oghenekaro Etebo overlooked just as Nigeria U20 star Victor Osimhen got his first Eagles call-up for next month’s AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo.

We first told you

The players from the Olympics are goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel, defenders William Troost-Ekong, Shehu Abdullahi and Kingsley Madu as well as captain Mikel Obi and Imoh Ezekiel.

Youngster Victor Osimhen, who will sign a professional contract in January with German Bundesliga Wolfsburg, has been handed surprise call-up as well by the new Eagles coach.

The match is a dead rubber, as both teams have been eliminated, but Rohr and the Super Eagles are using the game as rehearsal for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying series Matchday 1 clash with Zambia in Ndola in October.

The Franco-German, named Technical Adviser of the Super Eagles by the NFF two weeks ago, has called up three goalkeepers, eight defenders, four midfielders and eight forwards for the game scheduled for the Akwa Ibom International Stadium, Uyo on Saturday, 3rd September.

Captain Mikel, whose sterling leadership of the Nigeria U23 to the Bronze Medal match of the Rio 2016 Olympics has drawn global applause, is joined in the midfield by the energetic Ogenyi Onazi, Belgium –based former youth international Wilfred Ndidi and Israel –based Nosa Igiebor, who has not featured for Nigeria since missing the cut for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Emmanuel Daniel, who has done his reputation no harm with some breath –taking reflex saves at the Olympics, joins Carl Ikeme and Ikechukwu Ezenwa to fight for the gloves, while home –based Jamiu Alimi finds a place amongst Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, Chidozie Awaziem, Abdullahi Shehu, Musa Muhammed, Elderson Echiejile and Kingsley Madu in the defence.

Rohr, a former defender, has also opted for a strong attacking line, with assistant captain Ahmed Musa leading Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon, Victor Moses, Imoh Ezekiel, Odion Ighalo, Brown Ideye and youngster Victor Osimhen.

All the players have been directed to report in Uyo on Sunday, 28th August 2016.

FULL LIST:

Goalkeepers: Carl Ikeme (Wolverhampton Wanderers, England); Emmanuel Daniel (Enugu Rangers); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah)

Defenders: Leon Balogun (FSV Mainz 05, Germany); William Troost-Ekong (Haugesund FC, Norway); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto, Portugal); Jamiu Alimi (Kano Pillars); Abdullahi Shehu (Uniao da Madeira, Portugal); Musa Muhammed (Istanbul Basaksehir, Turkey); Elderson Echiejile (AS Monaco, France), Kingsley Madu (AS Trencin, Slovakia)

Midfielders: Mikel John Obi (Chelsea FC, England); Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor, Turkey); Wilfred Ndidi (KRC Genk, Belgium); Nosa Igiebor (Maccabi Tel Aviv, Israel)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Leicester City, England); Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City, England); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium); Victor Moses (Chelsea FC, England); Imoh Ezekiel (Al-Arabi Sporting Club, Qatar), Odion Ighalo (Watford FC, England); Brown Ideye (Olympiacos FC, Greece); Victor Osimhen (Wolfsburg FC, Germany)

http://africanfootball.com/news/639357/Nigeria-call-up-5-Rio-Olympics-stars-Etebo-snubbed-but-Osimhen-in
[/b]

kinda happy with this news. A decent squad for a start for a new coach.

Atleast we'll be having 23 needed players in camp from the word go in a long time. Unlike 35players been called up before that leads to confusion in camp n feud between d coaches n nff on who to pay for d marginal cost of d extra players.

Hopes to see greater competition for squad list as time goes on with d resumption of all leagues.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 7:54pm On Aug 19, 2016
Not a bad list

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF reject minister's allegations, insist on 'financial integrity'
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have issued an official statement to counter allegations by the country’s sports minister over the much publicised delayed departure of the Olympic team to Brazil.

Sports minister Solomon Dalung said on television the team being stranded at their training base in Atlanta was “a hoax” and an attempt to rip Nigeria off.

The NFF said they reject the insinuations by the minister.

Chairman of the NFF media and publicity committee, Suleiman Yahaya-Kwande, who is a ranking member of Nigeria’s House of Representatives, said the entire board was shocked by the insinuations, as the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick, had been giving them updates of useful meetings he has been having with the sports minister since he arrived in Brazil on Tuesday.

“The NFF board and management are taken aback by these insinuations. The NFF president has been telling us of meeting between him and the minister on how to avoid the kind of situation we got into in the USA in the future. So, the Minister’s latest statements are a bombshell,” Yahaya-Kwande said.

“We are not openly challenging the minister, but we must set the records straight. To start, we do not have any partnership with Delta Airlines, a company that we owe much gratitude for the way it came to the rescue to airlift our team to Brazil. The names of NFF’s partners and sponsors are known to the public.

“Secondly, the NFF is not aware of any receipt that was presented to the minister for airlifting the U23 team from Atlanta to Manaus.

“I am aware that the Minister himself requested for the phone number of our FIFA Match Agent (Jairo Pachon, who has been working with the NFF since 2009) when everybody became desperate about how the team would go to Brazil.

“The NFF president gave him the phone number, and the minister himself asked Pachon to go ahead and charter an aircraft, and Pachon reverted that the amount would be $174,000, as against the $300,000 that was bandied earlier.

“However, the money did not reflect in the airline company’s bank account within the deadline it gave to us, so the service was cancelled. We insist that Pachon acted in the best interest of Nigeria.”

Yahaya-Kwande also took the opportunity to react to earlier allegations of the federation bloating the football team’s list.

“Which persons did we increase the team with? There were two alternate players, the team media officer, the team coordinator, the team’s equipment manager and the team’s technical officer, who have always been part of the team’s crew, and who by global standard are required by the team,” he defended.

“When it was made clear that they would no longer be taken care of, we told them to return to Nigeria.

“As I speak with you, the only NFF top officials at the Olympics are the NFF technical director and the NFF president. I would like to be proved wrong on this.

“The NFF board has always displayed integrity in all its financial dealings and have always communicated to the minister on every financial transaction and detail. On this too, we would like to be proved wrong.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/639440/NFF-reject-ministers-allegations-insist-on-financial-integrity
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:08pm On Aug 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles call-up: Osimhen credits Amuneke, Alimi excited
[/size]

Jamiu Alimi

Wolfsburg-bound Victor Osimhen has told AfricanFootball.com he has dedicated his first-ever call-up by the Super Eagles to his coach in the U17 and U20 national teams Emmanuel Amuneke.

Rohr names first Eagles squad

Another Eagles call-up Jamiu Alimi expressed his excitement to be recalled after he was first invited by former Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh.

Osimhen told AfricanFootball.com that Amuneke gave him self-belief, which saw him finish as record top scorer at last year’s FIFA U17 World Cup in Chile.

“I dedicate my first Eagles call-up to coach Amuneke. He not only believed in me, he also gave me the confidence to be reach this stage of my career,” Osimhen told AfricanFootball.com

“My childhood dream has finally come true.”

At only 17, Osimhen will be the youngest player on the Eagles squad for next month’s AFCON qualifier.

He will sign a professional contract with Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg in January.

Kano Pillars defender Jamiu Alimi has been rewarded for his yeo-man work in the defence of the NPFL All-Stars in a recent playing tour of Spain.

“It has been a great year for me. I just returned from Spain with the NPFL All-Stars and now I have been given another call-up to the Eagles,” said the big central defender.

“I will work hard so as to be an integral part of the Super Eagles.”

By Kola Daniel
http://africanfootball.com/news/639399/Eagles-call-up-Osimhen-credits-Amuneke-Alimi-excited
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Uche Agbo says he will miss Watford new boy Success, listed for season opener
[/size]

Uche Agbo of Granada

Uche Agbo has admitted he will miss fellow Nigeria star Isaac Success at Granada just as he has been listed for tonight’s La Liga season opener at home to Villarreal.

Watford snapped up Success on a club record transfer fee this summer, which meant the Nigeria stars will be playing in separate leagues in the new season after they played together in the last three years.

“Certainly, I will miss my roommate and Nigerian brother Success,” former Flying Eagles star Agbo told AfricanFootball.com

“But we have to accept it as this is what you usually get in professional football, today you are here and tomorrow you are heading somewhere else.”

Midfielder Agbo was also close to reuniting with Success at Watford before he signed a two-year extension to stay a put at Granada.

He has been named on this night’s match day squad and said he hopes his club get off to a winning start in the new season.

“We hope to start the new season on a good note with a win and this will boost our confidence to do well for the rest of the campaign,” he said.

The match at Granada against Villarreal will kick off by 7.15 pm Nigerian time.

By Kola Daniel
http://africanfootball.com/news/639499/Uche-Agbo-says-he-will-miss-Watford-new-boy-Success-listed-for-season-opener
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, jieta and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.