Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,283 members, 7,849,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:41 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11861558 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3280) (3281) (3282) (3283) (3284) (3285) (3286) ... (16249) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:21pm On Apr 08, 2018
tbaba1234:
Joel Obi stats vs Inter

95% pass accuracy
5 tackles won
3 clearances
2 interceptions

Solid performance, we need him to transfer this kind of performance to the super eagles because his friendly performances was not good enough.
Yes your last paragraph said it all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:24pm On Apr 08, 2018
tbaba1234:

I did not label Ekpo and Oliha as 'mediocre' . They were more of the hardworking type of midfielders not creators per se. We still got goals in spite of that. That does not make them mediocre.

Thankfully, you acknowledged his ability to convert half chances to goals. It is something we lack in our team.

A prime and on form Yekini will still score in this team because his movement was good, created spaces for himself and could run with the ball if he needed to.

Yes, we need creative players or we need to learn to play to the strengths of our current attackers. We do not cross the ball enough from the wings.

I love your last paragraph,why not Kalu Samuel or Peter Olayinka cos they are good crosser
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Farzat: 2:31pm On Apr 08, 2018
This issue of our players age debate should be checkmated. Whenever d age of our player is mentioned there's always a debate of d player being Older than his age. Criticising the form of a player is part of d game but we should stop embarrassing them to the outside world because many foreigners and journalists visits this thread. Pls lets take the right attitude to protect our image that has been so wonderful.

For me, the right age for WC should be 24 and above, except for a special talent like Mbape. Any average player below 24 should be playing in U23 competitions, Team B, Olympics and stuffs like that. Check out d age bracket of d Brazilian team that beat Germany in their last friendly match, check out the age bracket of the Serbian team that just beat us, their age bracket is between 25-32 and that should be d right age for WC.

There wont be any trophy for parading d youngest team In Russia, experience and Youth should be mixed to give us the right balance. Look at how ordinary our team looks whenever Mikel is not playing, this same Mikel would find it difficult to make the first team of other teams going to d WC.

Also this so much emphasis on league than players performance is nonsense. I just watched Torino vs Inter and I can tell that some Belgian teams can comfortably beat any of those Italian teams. We are one country that lacks what we have in abundance. We have good players in lower ranked leagues across Europe but we will ignore them and start pursuing small small boys that are still learning d rudiments of d game just because they are born abroad.

As for u guys that are bent to display tribal sentiments on this thread, just the same way the Nigerian presidency from one region has not make that region better than other regions. Likewise, having the majority of our team from one region can not make that region better than others. If we can defend Nigeria the way we defend tribe, i can tell that we can rebuild d image of this country by ourselves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 08, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 08, 2018
I believe Iwobi was involved in that goal, if im not mistaken
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 08, 2018
Sick assist by Iwobi!!!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:55pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chrismario:

How can you say that he will flop in league one when he has not played in league?

You are exaggerating things a little bit sir

I'm not calling for Umar's immediate inclusion though but I think you should stop exaggerating league one because of few good lads. It is easy to understand that in all lowly rated leagues, you do find a star (not like Lookman at the moment)

You are missing my point, I have looked at his main attributes and how he uses those attributes to gain competitive advantage.

Sadiq is described as being fast, very skilful and strong. When I look at clips of him, I think he would struggle in League one. He wouldn't be considered strong and or exceptionally fast. See the way he gets bullied off the ball and how easily he falls. And this is in a leagues that are not very physical.

Furthermore, I didnt say league 1 is a very high standard league, physically competitive, YES but technically proficient a big No
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 08, 2018
Farzat:
This issue of our players age debate should be checkmated. Whenever d age of our player is mentioned there's always a debate of d player being Older than his age. Criticising the form of a player is part of d game but we should stop embarrassing them to the outside world because many foreigners and journalists visits this thread. Pls lets take the right attitude to protect our image that has been so wonderful.

For me, the right age for WC should be 24 and above, except for a special talent like Mbape. Any average player below 24 should be playing in U23 competitions, Team B, Olympics and stuffs like that. Check out d age bracket of d Brazilian team that beat Germany in their last friendly match, check out the age bracket of the Serbian team that just beat us, their age bracket is between 25-32 and that should be d right age for WC.

There wont be any trophy for parading d youngest team In Russia, experience and Youthfulness should be mixed to give us the right balance. Look at how ordinary our team looks whenever Mikel is not playing, this same Mikel would find it difficult to make the first team of other teams going to d WC.

Also this so much emphasis on league than players performance is nonsense. I just watched Torino vs Inter and I can tell that some Belgian teams can comfortably beat any of those Italian teams. We are one country that lacks what we have in abundance. We have good players in lower ranked leagues across Europe but we will ignore them and start pursuing small small boys that are still learning d rudiments of d game just because they are born abroad.

As for u guys that are bent to display tribal sentiments on this thread, just the same way the Nigerian presidency from one region has not make that region better than other regions. Likewise, having the majority of our team from one region can not make that region better than others. If we can defend Nigeria the way we defend tribe, i can tell that we can rebuild d image of this country by ourselves.

You made a valid point or two. Mikel not good enough to make the team of other countries going to the world cup? Am too exhausted to argue. Your own opinion sir. By the way....CYRIL DESSERS!!!!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:00pm On Apr 08, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Chuba Akpom with a goal for St. Truiden

Chuba has been a dissapointment promised so much but delivered so little. He couldn't make the transition from youth football to the senior game.

Had so many opportunities but has never delivered now he has gone to lower European leagues and hasn't done much.

He is far off from SE quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:01pm On Apr 08, 2018
See Iwobi impact from the middle for Arsenal, involved in both goals

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:02pm On Apr 08, 2018
forgiveness:

Bros, I was the first person here to clamor for Sadiq Umar's invitation to the national team and Olympics team because I followed his games bumper to bumper but I didn't see him do what he is doing now I the Eredivise in the Seria A.

It simply means Eredivise is not up to the standard of Sergio_A to cut it short and simple.

The truth must be said no salt and pepper.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 08, 2018
tbaba1234:
See Iwobi impact from the middle for Arsenal, involved in both goals

This is great for his confidence, considering the dry stretch that he's just had. I can already smell a goal from him coming later.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:07pm On Apr 08, 2018
Bolowolowo:

This is great for his confidence, considering the dry stretch that he's just had. I can already smell a goal from him coming later.

It does not matter what he does, he will still get abuse from Arsenal fans.. They are hurting his confidence too..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:10pm On Apr 08, 2018
Truidstar:

Sir, CYRIL DESSERS IS 23 not 25. It is his real age. We both know Ajagun is not 25 Years. ....CYRIL DESSERS!!!!

Let's not go down the age discussion route because no footballers age can be officially corroborated in Nigeria. Because we do not have automatic birth data capture when people are born.

You have to rely entirely on thier integrity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2018
Currently at the MFM CCC venue.

The malians are so tall.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2018
Should start by 4pm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:17pm On Apr 08, 2018
somehow:
Currently at the MFM CCC venue.

The malians are so tall.

Nice..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 3:18pm On Apr 08, 2018
tbaba1234:

Is this a joke? Tunisia 94, most of our goals came from Oliseh's long ball including the winning goal in the final.. He was a great passer.

i guesx he is one of the indomie generation ...

for your records

Oliseh used to be a good passer of the ball ...
Oliseh used to be a good marker
Oliseh get shot power and accuracy
Oliseh na mafia
Oliseh too stubborn .

make i stop here grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 08, 2018
tbaba1234:

It does not matter what he does, he will still get abuse from Arsenal fans.. They are hurting his confidence too..

Right on. I was just on FB and the even more depressing fact is that it is mostly Nigerians who are tearing him apart. Check it out for yourself!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 08, 2018
komekn:

Let's not go down the age discussion route because no footballers age can be officially corroborated in Nigeria. Because we do not have automatic birth data capture when people are born.

You have to rely entirely on thier integrity.

Noted sir. Just my opinion. CYRIL DESSERS!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:23pm On Apr 08, 2018
bengine:

We are not just talking of hold up play, we are talking about an extra striker that would add something different to the team this current team doesn't possess...Umar has that unpredictability and dynamism about him...Ideye doesn't have this..in fact ideye and Ighalo have similar skill set except Ighalo is more skillful than him..Umar is a totally diff guy with his style of play..

My query is very simple.

If he Sadiq has these wonderful attributes why has it not been seen in Seria A and now more recently the Belgium league. How many goals has he scored.

He is 21 and has played 20 professional games in his entire career. That is not enough to make a deductions on his quality, he is essentially a youth player showing promise.

When Tega Abrahams played in the Championship his quality was tested, proven and established over a whole season and that's at 19. He then moved to the EPL and it's not been easy for him in his first season.

Sadiq is not on that level he is way off the mark in a much lower and less competitive league.

Ideye is a better option tried tested and proven even if there are doubts about his goal scoring ability his far from prolific. But then apart from the now injured Obagoal who among potential SE players is actually prolific
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 3:25pm On Apr 08, 2018
Simy nwankwo on target for Crotone

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:27pm On Apr 08, 2018
Iwobi is having a very good game..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 3:28pm On Apr 08, 2018
komekn:

Chuba has been a dissapointment promised so much but delivered so little. He couldn't make the transition from youth football to the senior game.

Had so many opportunities but has never delivered now he has gone to lower European leagues and hasn't done much.

He is far off from SE quality.
One thing with our foreign born players is that they are playing with their real age. We are going to enjoy them more when they get to 25-30s

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2018
Kog45:
Pls go and watch Oliseh vs Ethiopia.

Oliseh performance in that match threw Friday Ekpo another great passer out of eagles.

I'm seeing Ndidi in class of Oliseh but still need to work on his passes to equate Oliseh even legendary Muda Lawal.
Oliseh commented positively about the Ethiopian team of 2013 Africa cup. I like him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:38pm On Apr 08, 2018
Martz101:

Oliseh was not that wonderful in passing
Blasphemy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:42pm On Apr 08, 2018
bengine:

We are not just talking of hold up play, we are talking about an extra striker that would add something different to the team this current team doesn't possess...Umar has that unpredictability and dynamism about him...Ideye doesn't have this..in fact ideye and Ighalo have similar skill set except Ighalo is more skillful than him..Umar is a totally diff guy with his style of play..
Unpredictability?? He's tall and decent on the ball for his height. Hustles alot. What else?
And Ideye isn't similar to Ighalo. He has better hold up play.
If we're going for a 3rd CF, Ideye is my first bet. Personally I'd prefer looking for creativity. Aluko is my first bet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 08, 2018
Sometimes I find it hard to believe that Mustafi was apart of a World Cup winning team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:47pm On Apr 08, 2018
On your last paragraph, defending tribe or country with arguments can never rebuild any image. Defending with appropriate action can. Abi who Ghana vs Nigeria argument don epp?

As regards the age thing, there is no rule. It would vary from country to country. You know a performing player regardless of his age. There should be no sentiments. A promising player will not give you his 2022 performance in 2018 (that's if he even ever reaches his potential). Conversely, of what use is a player's older age if he cannot translate it to the required WC performance?

Farzat:

There wont be any trophy for parading d youngest team In Russia, experience and Youthfulness should be mixed to give us the right balance. Look at how ordinary our team looks whenever Mikel is not playing, this same Mikel would find it difficult to make the first team of other teams going to d WC.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 08, 2018
Why did Wenger sub out Auba? Why not keep him in along with Laca
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 08, 2018
Iwobi is a maestro lol. What a great game for him

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 08, 2018
Iwobi assist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3280) (3281) (3282) (3283) (3284) (3285) (3286) ... (16249) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kayburner, JayromWrites, cromz(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.