Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,050 members, 7,814,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3398) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11639498 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3395) (3396) (3397) (3398) (3399) (3400) (3401) ... (16141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:15pm On Apr 23, 2018
zuchyblink:
------------------------------------Aiyenugba - - - - - - - - - - - - - -/
/
---------------Leon---------------Omeruo----------Ekong---------
/
/
/
V. Moses----Mikel-----Ndidi-----J.Obi----------------Idowu
/
/
-----------------------Ighalo - - - - - - - - - Musa--------------------
Ighalo and Musa in 3-5-2?

We must be aiming for a loss or draw then undecided

The 3-5-2 we used against Argentina is the best.....and I love the way y'all are throwing in fourth choice goalies. We are still doing fantasy teams less than two months to the World Cup, cool.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2018
well on lesson 1 yes onigbinde wasn't directly responsible but it can be argued that chief festus was the hatchet man used to push the ''mafia'' out

which door did he open by arrogantly saying they should call him first? if oga onigbinde really wanted them oliseh crew back he would have called them. when rohr came on board didn't you read that he called enyeama?

enyeama has been called people have intervened to speak with him. the ball was/is in his court

lesson 4? debatable read what i wrote for lesson 1

lesson 5 true true

lesson 6 it happens even loving couples fight it's how to manage it that is the issue

forgiveness:

Lessons from the bolded

Lesson 1: The government disbanded the team not Chief Festus Onigbinde as some mischievious peeps wants us to believe.

Lesson 2: Chief Festus Onigbinde opened the door for those disbanded from the team but they said 'we are not coming.' This is different from Onigbinde shut the door on them to call his boys. Another lie debunked. grin

Lesson 3: These players were even begged to utilise that channel but they arrogantly refused to do the needful. What is different btw their case and Enyeama's case? But some peeps don't want Enyeama back because of his attitude. Chai!

Lesson 4: The government wanted it so and not Chief Onigbinde. Lie lie full here. grin

Lesson 5: What!? Fight and cacuses in the 2014 World Cup camp!? shocked shocked shocked The more you look the less you see. grin

Lesson 6: My Mikel.... What!? shocked Hmmm! Mikel Obi can also kick ass and give trouble maker maker run for their money. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2018
kennysville:
As per inclusion/injection of new players into the team, I would advise we tread with caution. Any player that must be added now has to really really be the missing piece of the puzzle so as not to upset the balance of the team. In fact we have sooo many players right now that can actually give our starting 22 a gud run for their money , but frankly its all about the timing. If this were 1 year ago, no problem! But 1 month to the world cup and we already wanna yank off Musa, Simon because there are players performing better abi? Newsflash! Its world cup season.... Everybody scores! Even Ighalo that was having goal drought scored 4 goals ( although i would av prefered he scored only one and kept the rest 3 for our 3 group games so we can at least have 1 nil win in each of the games.....Na joke O!)

Bottomline, names you never heard before on the scoresheet will start scoring . Check all our worldcup seasons especially the ones we qualified for. Na so so pop pop the net dey shake.

My candid opinion? We include them after the Mundial. Every one of them. If we can have 3 solid like for like teams after the world cup with each player knowing that his jersey aint sure, then we are sorted. Its is this starting 11 syndrome that got us into this mess in the first place. Now we dey beg Enyeama to come to the rescue, we dey pray say make mikel no injure...... God help us

Up Super Eagles

Kenny, your comments always make sense.

In addition Anthony Nwakaeme scored a brace over the weekend. Olanrewaju Kayode has scored twice of late. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:18pm On Apr 23, 2018
safarigirl:
Ighalo and Musa in 3-5-2?

We must be aiming for a loss or draw then undecided

The 3-5-2 we used against Argentina is the best.....and I love the way y'all are throwing in fourth choice goalies. We are still doing fantasy teams less than two months to the World Cup, cool.

Those goalkeeper slot is still open my dear.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2018
kennysville:
I said it before and I will still maintain it.... our biggest worry right now is the attacking midfielders and their link with the attack and not the Goal keeper crises we been screaming about.

A good attacking midfielder turns your attackers into potent force while bad attacking midfielders render ur attack lines lame, impotent and dull. We been experiencing that each time mikel doesnt play and If I as an arm chair pundit/analyst can notice that, what do you think a professional Coach with experience is seeing?

Hmmm i fear O! In fact, if i were Gernot Rohr, I will not play Mikel until probably the England game and quite frankly only that match. Anything short ladies and gentlemen, you will be witnessing a potentially dangerous team (on paper) but disjointed on the field of play. To be forewarned is to be fore armed

Up super Eagles
You're right bro. That AM position should be the major source of concern.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:21pm On Apr 23, 2018
Icon4s:

Those goalkeeper slot is still open my dear.
maybe Akpeyi's own....the rest is not open
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 4:21pm On Apr 23, 2018
Ah ah... I know it's not that much, but Amuneke scored from a corner kick against Italy in 94 even though it was sha scrambled. Also Yakubu scored a pk against South Korea in that forgettable game in 2010.
Sorry to correct you in the event someone has also responded. I just de read de go.

Icon4s:

Has any Nigerian ever scored from a free-kick in any World Cup?

Has Nigeria generally scored from any form of set piece, be it corner or indirect free kick?

We have not even won any penalty.

Still scratching my head.

As long as we cannot get goals except from open plays we will continue to struggle in major competitions like the WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2018
safarigirl:
maybe Akpeyi's own....the rest is not open

That is why a 4th goalkeeper is being thrown in. If Rohr invites Aiyenugba, he may likely make him first choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2018
Dedebanky85:
Ah ah... I know it's not that much, but Amuneke scored from a corner kick against Italy in 94 even though it was sha scrambled. Also Yakubu scored a pk against South Korea in that forgettable game in 2010.
Sorry to correct you in the event someone has also responded. I just de read de go.

Thanks for the reminder but those have been point out already and I have taken the reminder.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2018
somehow:
We will do this in this worldcup. Iheanacho will score a free kick.

As for Cornerkick, i don't think we have players who love using their heads except maybe Ogu

Scoring from indirect freekick, an Ogu can do that and maybe Musa.

We might get to win PK this world cup if we go far, players like Moses and Iheanacho can win us PKs.

We scored with a freekick in 2010 WC. I can't remember who took it but I remember Odenwinge dodged the freekick to distract the keeper.

Maybe it was Kalu Uche or Nsofor.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2018
Icon4s:

So who is that player?
Ajagun or Aluko should be given a trial.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

How many players in Arsenal have done well this season? Are they all going to be loaned?

We're not talking of this season alone, past seasons included. Iwobi has been poor.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

You say?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 4:35pm On Apr 23, 2018
There's a difference between direct freekick and in-Player cross. What Moses attempted was to cross for a header. Although, Mikel (Ighalo) whoever it was, was not offside, but their movement impaired the goalie's view.
That attempt should not be categorized under freekick but rather a cross.

SerVik:

I think Moses scored a FK in the Afcon qualifier against Cameroon that was ruled out as off even though mikel(the player that was off) didn't touch the ball.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:39pm On Apr 23, 2018
forgiveness:

I don't think Nwakali is ready. The other guy should be either Onomah or Sone Aluko.

Form is very important ooooooo.

Yes! You are right. The ones on ground have proven they are incapable for that particular AMF role. He that has ear let him hear.
I said great form. If his form level is average, he should be invited.

A natural AM with an average level of form should do better than Iheanacho, Etebo and Iwobi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:39pm On Apr 23, 2018
forgiveness:

I don't think Nwakali is ready. The other guy should be either Onomah or Sone Aluko.

Form is very important ooooooo.

Yes! You are right. The ones on ground have proven they are incapable for that particular AMF role. He that has ear let him hear.
I said great form. If his form level is normal, he should be invited.

A natural AM with an average level of form should do better than Iheanacho, Etebo and Iwobi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

This is Uncle Gernot Rohr we are talking about ooo. He is ultra conservative, I don't see him inviting every one we suggest here. He will work with what he has. Maybe one or two inclusions but no more. If it was a Nigerian coach yeah, open camp. I no even get hope again my CYRIL DESSERS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:44pm On Apr 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
We're not talking of this season alone, past seasons included. Iwobi has been poor.

This is untrue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2018
Before his brace in the FA semi finals, Amokachi was seen as a waste of money by many Everton fans. Fortunately, we were not in the social media era.

Amokachi always produced in a Nigerian shirt so we did not care what he was doing in England.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:50pm On Apr 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

This is untrue.
OK. Prove me wrong then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:55pm On Apr 23, 2018
Truidstar:

This is Uncle Gernot Rohr we are talking about ooo. He is ultra conservative, I don't see him inviting every one we suggest here. He will work with what he has. Maybe one or two inclusions but no more. If it was a Nigerian coach yeah, open camp. I no even get hope again my CYRIL DESSERS.
But the AM role needs urgent attention as no AM except Mikel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:58pm On Apr 23, 2018
Two things you should have taken note of if you really followed the aguments here (or let me rather say my side of the argument):

1. The call for the dropping of Musa, Echeijiele didn't start today. Hence, following the context, the argument was of the idea that Rohr should have made SE more competitive by opening the door to a wider pool of PERFORMING players thereby not making the regular starters and benchwarmers too comfortable.

2. The timing demands that we name a list of 35 players before May 14. This wide list would definitely create room for some fresh players, or like some of you would say "there would be a few surprises".

Today, Germany has a great depth in the team not only because they have abundant talents, also because they demand excellence from all the players at all times - at least that's the atmosphere they've tried to promote. If we'd always had that kind of atmosphere players would know that their making the final 23 requires consistent performance even at club level. However, what we have now is players -- SE regulars inclusive -- making a statement few days to the world cup. The unknowns are suddenly scoring, and even the SE regulars seem to be saying "ignore what they are doing, we can also do it too, if not better".. ya dig?

And I guess what i just said is in line with your last paragraph.

kennysville:
As per inclusion/injection of new players into the team, I would advise we tread with caution. Any player that must be added now has to really really be the missing piece of the puzzle so as not to upset the balance of the team. In fact we have sooo many players right now that can actually give our starting 22 a gud run for their money , but frankly its all about the timing. If this were 1 year ago, no problem! But 1 month to the world cup and we already wanna yank off Musa, Simon because there are players performing better abi? Newsflash! Its world cup season.... Everybody scores! Even Ighalo that was having goal drought scored 4 goals ( although i would av prefered he scored only one and kept the rest 3 for our 3 group games so we can at least have 1 nil win in each of the games.....Na joke O!)

Bottomline, names you never heard before on the scoresheet will start scoring. Check all our worldcup seasons especially the ones we qualified for. Na so so pop pop the net dey shake.

My candid opinion? We include them after the Mundial. Every one of them. If we can have 3 solid like for like teams after the world cup with each player knowing that his jersey aint sure, then we are sorted. Its is this starting 11 syndrome that got us into this mess in the first place. Now we dey beg Enyeama to come to the rescue, we dey pray say make mikel no injure...... God help us

Up Super Eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
But the AM role needs urgent attention as no AM except Mikel

I believe iwobi can deputize if called upon (make una no crucify me). I am not the coach. The window we would have used to address what ever shortcomings was the March friendlies window. Like play, like play May is next week. No time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:01pm On Apr 23, 2018
Thank you so much!!! Amokachi had a far better national career.

tbaba1234:
Before his brace in the FA semi finals, Amokachi was seen as a waste of money by many Everton fans. Fortunately, we were not in the social media era.

Amokachi always produced in a Nigerian shirt so we did not care what he was doing in England.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2018
Certainly not Iwobi.

MetalJigsaw:
I said great form. If his form level is normal, he should be invited.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2018
Joebie:
Two things you should have taken note of if you really followed the aguments here (or let me rather say my side of the argument):

1. The call for the dropping of Musa, Echeijiele didn't start today. Hence, following the context, the argument was of the idea that Rohr should have made SE more competitive by opening the door to a wider pool of PERFORMING players thereby not making the regular starters and benchwarmers too comfortable.

2. The timing demands that we name a list of 35 players before May 14. This wide list would definitely create room for some fresh players, or like some of you would say "there would be a few surprises".

Today, Germany has a great depth in the team not only because they have abundant talents, also because they demand excellence from all the players at all times - at least that's the atmosphere they've tried to promote. If we'd always had that kind of atmosphere players would know that their making the final 23 requires consistent performance even at club level. However, what we have now is players -- SE regulars inclusive -- making a statement few days to the world cup. The unknowns are suddenly scoring, and even the SE regulars seem to be saying "ignore what they are doing, we can also do it too, if not better".. ya dig?

And I guess what i just said is in line with your last paragraph.

Sir, i won't be surprised if the much vaunted 35 man list when released will comprise of 23 players and 4 alternates. No time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:06pm On Apr 23, 2018
what a joke

Rohr himself said he would name 30 I believe. I have to check if it was actually 35 he said.. But FIFA allows for 35

Modified
He said, “In May, we will release another 30-man list for the other friendly games from which we will draw the final list for the World Cup.”

Hence maybe 5 players will be on standby.

Truidstar:
Sir, i won't be surprised if the much vaunted 35 man list when released will comprise of 23 players and 4 alternates. No time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:15pm On Apr 23, 2018
Joebie:
what a joke

Rohr himself said he would name 30 I believe. I have to check if it was actually 35 he said.. But FIFA allows for 35

Modified
He said, “In May, we will release another 30-man list for the other friendly games from which we will draw the final list for the World Cup.”

Hence maybe 5 players will be on standby.

i doubt that..when 7 players are dropped for the final 23 the 7 dropped will be the ones on standby
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2018
El neny's injury is not as serious as feared. Just a few weeks out

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2018
Ex-Eaglets star John Lazarus excited to join El Kanemi Warriors

By admin -
April 20, 2018, 7:15 am

FIFA U17 2015 World Cup-winning right full back John Lazarus has told SCORENigeria he is excited to join NPFL side El Kanemi Warriors.

The defender’s paper work will be completed today, officials told SCORENigeria

Lazarus said he is thrilled to sign his first professional contract.

“I am so excited to sign my first professional contract after several attempts to sign a contract abroad did not work out,” he told SCORENigeria

“I have moved on and will now concentrate on my new club El Kanemi Warriors.

“I want to thank coach imama for giving me the opportunity to be part of a young squad I met on ground, it is a privilege to play alongside veterans like Isiaka Olawale who I have followed for a very long time, so too Abdurasak Aliu.

“Now I can’t wait to play my first match for the club.”

By Kola Daniel

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/04/20/ex-eaglets-star-john-lazarus-excited-to-join-el-kanemi-warriors/

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:24pm On Apr 23, 2018
tbaba1234:
El neny's injury is not as serious as feared. Just a few weeks out
2 weeks i heard
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:31pm On Apr 23, 2018
alright.. well Rohr will be inviting 30. It seems there would be room for a few forwards. At this point, I don't expect any surprises in the final 23.

asha80:
i doubt that..when 7 players are dropped for the final 23 the 7 dropped will be the ones on standby

(1) (2) (3) ... (3395) (3396) (3397) (3398) (3399) (3400) (3401) ... (16141) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), Oasis007(m), soetanoreoluwa(m), Cecco90, mostob(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.