Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3846) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11626509 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3843) (3844) (3845) (3846) (3847) (3848) (3849) ... (16135) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:00pm On Jun 02, 2018
Is this response of yours an indication of not having any rebuttal to outwit my points? grin

I am not campaigning for him, i am only commenting based on stats without sentiments.
komekn:

This your campaign for Echiejile Eéeeeeee get as e be.

You want to change the dimensions or football for Obe player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:09pm On Jun 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

any team that wants to defeat nigeria should press us and disorganize our play. i watched nigeria v poland this week as well as nig v serbia yesterday. our play was at best patchy(as it was noted then) i am watching nig v cam now and i saw the flow, i asked mysself why the difference. i think it would be too simplistic to pen it down to the absence/presence of Mikel. omo cameroun gave us a lot of space but poland and serbia pressed us relentlessly, even argentina did so in that first half before things went south for them. but i think any team with pressing can give us serious problems

Zambia played this way too but playing at home gave us the edge. If that game was played on a neutral ground, it could have been a draw game.
I reckon we find it difficult to get out of a good press because we lack enough natural footballers in the middle. Many of our midfielders do not play as protagonist.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:14pm On Jun 02, 2018
elyte89:

Y is everything always attached to Mikel to achieve a better result. He's human also,even d like of messi or c ronaldo do av off days on pitch

I wish d England players can tame Mikel and let c aw oda players will response with deir play cool

My prayer is that Rohr doesn't even play Mikel or Moses at all. I mean, over-dependence on a single player is very dangerous. We all saw what happened to Liverpool when Salah got injured. WC isn't friendly (or even African Qualifier) and the ARG we beat 4-2 could beat us silly. Football has become tactical and technical and other teams have noticed that without Mikel or Moses, our play becomes shapeless like Amoeba. Trust our opponents to give our star players the "Salah treatment".

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MarijuanaLORD: 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2018
England no get midfield

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:17pm On Jun 02, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:

I disagree, mate, from the wacky music to the uncreative scenes, everything is mediocre.

I am not in advertising but when you look at the local content and the emotional appeal they tried to convey, you will agree with me that the ad will do very well in the Nigerian market. I liked the transitions between the footballers and the entertainers. Nike also used this trick sell the viral jersey which they had wizkid.
This ad will do very well, just watch.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 3:21pm On Jun 02, 2018
mank1234:

Contract was signed before we qualified for world cup. Then our worth was very low having missed out on qualification for two consecutive AFCON and with a slim chance of qualifying for world cup. Nike actually took a gamble and you can't blame NFF for it.

NFF has no right to review unilaterally. We can only hope that the contract ends soon.

I think we are getting carried away. Nike too a gamble on the Eagles. We were at a low point and getting any kind of contract was tough at the time. If we didn't qualify, Nike would have lost a lot of money, yet they took a chance at us.

Now, when it's time for them to reap some rewards, we cry about slave contracts.

Too many don't understand how business works.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 3:23pm On Jun 02, 2018
goldfish80:

The contract should be reviewed especially if Nigeria writes a beautiful story at the world cup. Although, it must be said, the Super Eagles brand was shambles at the time the contract was signed with Nike. Failures to qualify for Afcon and no big name player in the Super Eagles. Addidas left and Puma weren't interested to do business with Nigeria till Nike were cajoled by Nff.

If we succeed at the World Cup, Nike itself would invite us to the table to re-discuss terms. Saying we have been unfairly treated by them without understanding context is naive.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 3:29pm On Jun 02, 2018
Na wa o.... No line up yet?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:31pm On Jun 02, 2018
goldfish80:

Zambia played this way too but playing at home gave us the edge. If that game was played on a neutral ground, it could have been a draw game.
I reckon we find it difficult to get out of a good press because we lack enough natural footballers in the middle. Many of our midfielders do not play as protagonist.
that is precisely the point

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 3:33pm On Jun 02, 2018
ChrisKels:
The boys will play England to a stand still. I have the feeling

why do you want them to play them to stand still when the main main thing is about 11days and 23hrs when guys are looking for style to boycot the friendlies to avoid injury ...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 3:33pm On Jun 02, 2018
I dey beg ooo.. I'm out of town...any good link to watch the game?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:39pm On Jun 02, 2018
I don't get why this guy has been busy talking crap these days instead of focusing on his game, maybe he thinks he has arrived. Its becoming annoying, I guess he didn't know he was pisspoor when he was brought to the National team. Assuming he was the one getting Agbo's treatment...

Troost-Ekong Reveals: Super Eagles Players Accepted Uzbek-Born Odemwingie More Than Me

Published: June 02, 2018

Bursaspor defender William Troost-Ekong has revealed that Super Eagles players accepted former West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie more than him, even though both players are of mixed-race.

Odemwingie was born in Uzbekistan to a Nigerian father and Russia mother while Ekong was born in the Netherlands to a Nigerian father and Dutch mother.

''Keshi put a new process into effect. They went to look for boys who had their football training in Europe. There are boys around us who were born in the Netherlands, Germany and England,'' Ekong said in an interview with Dutch football magazine Elf Voetbal.

''Some have one Nigerian parent, such as Tyronne and me. But Alex Iwobi from Arsenal has two Nigerian parents....''
He added : ''In Nigeria, they see me as a 'blank' (Dutch for someone with white skin,ed) and the team was surprised I was there. Not that I was the first person with a second nationality.

''Peter Odemwingie was until then I think the best known. He is half Russian, half Nigerian. But because he was brought up in Nigeria, he was more easily accepted. In the beginning, they looked at me a lot because of that.''

Troost-Ekong netted his maiden international goal in Nigeria's 1-1 draw with Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday, he is the only player to have started the last sixteen games played by the national team.

The hype is getting into his head
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:42pm On Jun 02, 2018
Surprisingly or unsurprisingly e no carry Agbo matter for head like that.
Mujtahida:

na wa oasis007. are now policy makers? this thing is too much naw. we don beg am, some don fight am but still man still crying up and down using different words to say the same thing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 3:47pm On Jun 02, 2018
ChrisKels:
I don't get why this guy has been busy talking crap these days instead of focusing on his game, maybe he thinks he has arrived. Its becoming annoying, I guess he didn't know he was pisspoor when he was brought to the National team. Assuming he was the one getting Agbo's treatment...

Troost-Ekong Reveals: Super Eagles Players Accepted Uzbek-Born Odemwingie More Than Me

Published: June 02, 2018

Bursaspor defender William Troost-Ekong has revealed that Super Eagles players accepted former West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie more than him, even though both players are of mixed-race.

Odemwingie was born in Uzbekistan to a Nigerian father and Russia mother while Ekong was born in the Netherlands to a Nigerian father and Dutch mother.

''Keshi put a new process into effect. They went to look for boys who had their football training in Europe. There are boys around us who were born in the Netherlands, Germany and England,'' Ekong said in an interview with Dutch football magazine Elf Voetbal.

''Some have one Nigerian parent, such as Tyronne and me. But Alex Iwobi from Arsenal has two Nigerian parents....''
He added : ''In Nigeria, they see me as a 'blank' (Dutch for someone with white skin,ed) and the team was surprised I was there. Not that I was the first person with a second nationality.

''Peter Odemwingie was until then I think the best known. He is half Russian, half Nigerian. But because he was brought up in Nigeria, he was more easily accepted. In the beginning, they looked at me a lot because of that.''

Troost-Ekong netted his maiden international goal in Nigeria's 1-1 draw with Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday, he is the only player to have started the last sixteen games played by the national team.

The hype is getting into his head

dont believe everything you see on the media ... some are blatant lies ...

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2018
Guy drop that thing na. Taking too much of it
MarijuanaLORD:
England no get midfield

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2018
forgiveness:

Ogu should be dropped because If he is good enough, he wouldn't be playing in obscure league.

Sentiment that he will be retired after the world cup and therefore not make the team next world cup should be discarded.

Besides, Agu is a replica of Ndidi.

If we go by the current form of Echiejile this season, there is nothing to right home about. Barely played and struggled to play in Belgium second division.

The career threatening tackle he made was a as a result of fatigue and rustiness. We should expect more of that in the coming days.

If he is picked ahead of a player that played consistently this season, it is based on sentiment.

However, he must be played today to see if he is fit enough for the tournament and deserves to be in the team, and if Brian is the first choice then he must also play to see if he really deserves to be the first choice.

if this be the case that only these two players play today, Ola is out. grin

But before Rohr takes this decision he should see if these players are good enough for the 4 man defense else he should just gegeli play a 3 man defense and forget about the 4 man defense.

For me, Shehu could do another Kieta and could cause us a game if he doesn't know how to react to provocation. In addition, I don't think he is good enough be a starter. Ebuehi is better but I have to see him against England again.

My point is that the performance of our wing backs should determine the formation which should eventually determine the right choice of players for the formation/formations.

Nice points, real football minds will know agu did an excellent game vs Congo, that’s why gernot rares him, Ogu I like but agu is a faster and more mobile, had a slow start to international career but a quality dm.
Nigerians Judge players based on a match, instead of looking deeper at the quality of the player.
Now talking of double standards elderson cannot get games in Belgian second division, note the players we have tearing things apart in the first division are ignored. We should try look deeper than just performances but also quality, potential and speed of adaptation, what use is elderson this is surely his last shot at World Cup and he still hasent proved to be better than aina in terms of quality in league performances and status.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 3:49pm On Jun 02, 2018
i hope eagles will score their first goal ever today ... i just feel it will end in a draw ... no african team has ever beaten the England team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olapluto(m): 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2018
Looking at this interview, it seems to me that one of Joel Obi or Ogenyi Onazi may be dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOS9-xvMx3w
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:52pm On Jun 02, 2018
joseph1013:

If we succeed at the World Cup, Nike itself would invite us to the table to re-discuss terms. Saying we have been unfairly treated by them without understanding context is naive.

A great world cup run gives us a seat on the negotiation table.The current deal at $750k per annum is world apart from €50M per annum the same nike pays France for it's kit sponsorship. It will be a good deal if we get $10M/annum (optimistically).

Although, when I think of a great world cup run with potential ties against France in the round of 16 and Spain in the 1\8 finals if we come second in the group. It leaves us with no option than topping the group to ensure an easier route. I hope the team managers recognize this. It's either 1st in the group or nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2018
lexyman:

dont believe everything you see on the media ... some are blatant lies ...

He should bleeping let go off the past to concentrate on the task ahead.

Here is his first hit out;

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/06/01/im-not-skilful-but-i-know-what-im-good-at-eagles-defender-ekong-hit-back-at-ex-coach-sunday-oliseh/

This isn't what we want from him now, he isn't the first mulatto to pull the GWG and he definitely wont be the last. He should be mindful of his utterances
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:54pm On Jun 02, 2018
Una no wan tell me station wey go show this game abi ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 3:57pm On Jun 02, 2018
goldfish80:

I am not in advertising but when you look at the local content and the emotional appeal they tried to convey, you will agree with me that the ad will do very well in the Nigerian market. I liked the transitions between the footballers and the entertainers. Nike also used this trick sell the viral jersey which they had wizkid.
This ad will do very well, just watch.

Watch one of Heineken's advert, an ad flourishing doesn't mean it's top.

Admittedly, it started well but the end was an anti-climax.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:58pm On Jun 02, 2018
darkelf:

My prayer is that Rohr doesn't even play Mikel or Moses at all. I mean, over-dependence on a single player is very dangerous. We all saw what happened to Liverpool when Salah got injured. WC isn't friendly (or even African Qualifier) and the ARG we beat 4-2 could beat us silly. Football has become tactical and technical and other teams have noticed that without Mikel or Moses, our play becomes shapeless like Amoeba. Trust our opponents to give our star players the "Salah treatment".
Thank God you're not Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 3:59pm On Jun 02, 2018
andrew444:

AIT will definitely show it, there are no rights for friendlies I believe. You could also follow it on numerous radio stations, if you're in Lagos.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by salaode(m): 4:03pm On Jun 02, 2018
Supersport 10
andrew444:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:05pm On Jun 02, 2018
Ighalo should watch it, if this move comes to fruition;

Lazio lead hot chase for World Cup-bound Simeon Nwankwo after his Serie A club relegated

Serie A club Lazio are among a rash of top clubs who are in hot chase of World Cup-bound Simeon Nwankwo, SCORENigeria can exclusively reveal.

‘Simy’ still has a year left on his contract at FC Crotone, who were relegated on the final day of this past season.

His rush of late goals did not help save modest Crotone from dropping to the lower Serie B, but at least it has alerted top clubs to take notice of what he can do at the club.

“There several top clubs in Serie A like Lazio who want to sign ‘Simy’, but we just have to wait and see what happens after the World Cup,” a source close to the big target man told only SCORENigeria
“But is almost certain is that he will be staying put in Serie A.”

The player himself told SCORENigeria his immediate target is to do well with the Eagles.

More suitors will come in for the striker, who impressed on his Eagles debut against DR Congo, should he make the final cut to Russia 2018.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:09pm On Jun 02, 2018
Martz101:

i still disagree, Echiejile was already a super eagles starter before joel came into the team, Echiejile played our 2 out of 3 worldcup match in 2010

You are right but you can only disagree on Echiejile issue.

However, he was a starter in a wururu way.

I can still remember local coaches benched ligue 1 and CAF best LB for him in the National team despite the fact that he was a bench warmer in his club.

It was after a foreign coach came that he was relegated to the bench in the 2010 World Cup.

He was not the starter in that competition. On the two occasions he played, he came from the bench.

From that time, he was a second choice till Keshi came and restored him to the first eleven and fizzled out the best LB in Africa.

Whenever I remember this, I can't just dey yan.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:09pm On Jun 02, 2018
olapluto:
Croatia vs Brazil happening today at Anfield. I'll be watching that match to scout our opponents.... match starts in 35 minutes.

I'll be there too, Kenny Dalglish stand.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:09pm On Jun 02, 2018
andrew444:
,No view center around?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:11pm On Jun 02, 2018
mank1234:

Contract was signed before we qualified for world cup. Then our worth was very low having missed out on qualification for two consecutive AFCON and with a slim chance of qualifying for world cup. Nike actually took a gamble and you can't blame NFF for it.

NFF has no right to review unilaterally. We can only hope that the contract ends soon.

A university named Wake Forest is paid $3 milion by Nike and you are calling 3 million in 3 years a gamble?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:11pm On Jun 02, 2018
jhorjhor:
Nigerian XI to face #ThreeLions: Uzoho, Idowu, Ekong, Balogun, Onazi, Mikel, Obi, Shehu, Moses, Iwobi, Ighalo
What's the formation

(1) (2) (3) ... (3843) (3844) (3845) (3846) (3847) (3848) (3849) ... (16135) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Tessyy1701, COOL10(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.