Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,223 members, 7,860,422 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:50 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3978) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11925080 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3975) (3976) (3977) (3978) (3979) (3980) (3981) ... (16333) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2018
Ghana captain partey tells Iceland how to beat Nigeria
hahahahaha
bad belle go kill Ghanians

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
Anyone going to watch the Croatia -Senegal match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:09pm On Jun 08, 2018
I have this feeling that Moses would serve us better playing as a left wing back if we deployed the 3-5-2 formation because to me, idowu isn't up to the job and Moses is less useful playing as a winger in a 4-3-3 formation where he partners a not so prolific Ighalo.

A vicmo as a LWB for Nigeria will be allowed to overlap even more than he does for chelsea-fc and he should also be tasked with playing his primary role as a full back.

This is what is called maximization of potentials. Now see what I mean ;

Vicmo as normal left winger loves to attack, track back, dribble and also cut into his preferred feet to unlish a shot. in the same vain, If he is played as a LWB, he would be given the special permission to join the attack at will and also join the defense when we are under siege. Knowing Moses for who he is and as a professional, I believe he would do this job perfectly by not leaving too much gap behind, as such, he would be important to us both in the defense and attack even in the midfield.

If we file out this way, then Rohr will now have the opportunity to field his best attackers in Iwobi and Acho. By so doing, we would be able to have an attacking line that comprises an overlaping Moses, Iwobi, Acho and another overlapping (though to a lesser extent) ebuehi. And when we are under attack we would also have a defensive line that looks this way ; Moses, balogun, Ekong, Omeruo and ebuehi.

This will be very effective because Moses has that energy, dribbling ability and pace to be useful to us both in the defense and attack.

I dont know why our coach isn't thinking through such line

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:16pm On Jun 08, 2018
maidaboi:
hahahahaha

Read the article not the misleading headline

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2018
LieDetector:
so akpeyi is the one ready to face best strikers abi?
grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
What do you make of it if Musa is deployed as LWB in place of Idowu?

Musa will be comfortable in that position , but my problem with Musa is the funny crosses ..... but we re at advantage cos he is in the best form of his life . alot of us want to tinker with the team grin lets leave Rohr to do his job . that team can make over 40 passes in 2 minutes . underrate the Eagles at your own peril

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2018
Icon4s:

If Rohr would adopt the 3-5-2 formation I would rather we have Iwobi and Iheanacho upfront. Iwobi to cover from the left wing to the center and also easily joins the midfield but must always be ahead of Mikel who will play directly behind the duo.

Iheanacho is a very deadly finisher but he only needs someone to pair with to wreck havoc.

Iwobi pairing with Iheanacho upfront is the coup I want Rohr to plot against Croatia.

I didn't even see this before my post where I talked about an attacking line that comprises an overlaping Moses, Iwobi, Achor and may Ebuehi.

Nice one there man, add this ur post to mine up there and we have a devastating fantasy team that could turn out to be real if Rohr adheres

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2018
bengine:

Where will victor Moses play if we pair iwobi and Iheanacho upfront in a 3-5-2 formation?

He can stay on the Bench .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2018
Did Messi really say this or is it one of the Palestinian propagandas?

If Messi actually did say this then I will formally part ways with him because he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. The Israeli government, like every other country has the rights to defend her citizens. Bottom line, Messi should stick with soccer and leave politics to the politicians. However, I seriously doubt that he made that quote because I haven't seen it on any reputable news outlet.

O pari

krattoss:
One word for the lion of the tribe of Argentina cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2018
Martz101:

40% of keshi 2014 team was form like this...if you know you know

keshi took 5 CB and Efe makes it 6 to world cup, a certain odunlami was in that team

that tean was a big disgrace to football
Sir if Keshi's team was a disgrace to football then Onigbinde's team of 2002 is what?Nigeria 2010 WC team is what?

Even France 98 team is what cos this was a team that took 5 pensioners to WC,namely Peter Rufai,Rashidi Yekini, Augustine Eguavoen,Ben Iroha,Uche Okafor and took already injured Amokachie to WC and dropped in form Jonathan Akpoborie.

And on 5 CB he took to WC,pls try and sit down and analyse why he took such decision or do you think Keshi was a dummy.

On Kunle Odunlami, he replaced injured Echiejile and was to deputise for Ambrose and Oshaniwa cos he was a versatile defender.

If i may ask is Ambrose a CB under Keshi but RB.Keshi took four CB to WC namely Joseph Yobo, Kenneth Omeruo,Godfrey Oboboana and Egwueke.

Modified... according to Chrsooblog and andrew444 Uzoenyi replaced injured Echiejile, sorry for the mix up.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 2:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
Icon79:

If Messi actually did say this then I will formally part ways with him because he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. The Israeli government, like every other country has the rights to defend her citizens. Bottom line, Messi should stick with soccer and leave politics to the politicians. However, I seriously doubt that he made that quote because I haven't seen it on any reputable news outlet.

O pari

People put all sort together just to unsettle the general public , i was also looking for such image online , didt find any ....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:49pm On Jun 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

Read the article not the misleading headline
chai i don score own goal be that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:52pm On Jun 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

I didn't even see this before my post where I talked about an attacking line that comprises an overlaping Moses, Iwobi, Achor and may Ebuehi.

Nice one there man, add this ur post to mine up there and we have a devastating fantasy team that could turn out to be real if Rohr adheres
Nigeria team without Iheanacho is a minus not cos of anything but goals,his goal ratio in eagles is phenomenal.

I admire Ighalo a lot but talking of delivery it's Iheanacho.On Simy,well from his stats so far he is not a prolific scorer so i don't see him as a guarantor unless he brings his late season goals scoring to eagles.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
exactly! his reflexes are very good he got a good goalkeeping education rohr too sees that hence the reason he has given him a run of games to build his confidence. i agree the defence has to do more to shield him. when you are constantly under attack from the opposition i don't care if you are de gea, buffon or neuer you will surely concede. ezenwa has been mostly lucky that when he plays the defence covers him well hence the call for him to be in goal.

i laughed at the uzoho not ready to face the best strikers bit someone that faced lewandowski, kane, sterling etc he has improved from when i saw him against poland he will come good but defence has to step up

KK555:

He is a good goalkeeper. You can see commitment and humility to learn in him. I think a good and confident defence would motivate him to give his best. He has managed to save lots of shots that would easily have been goals, he has nullified threats by the way he picks aerial balls calmly and distribute to his players. Outfield players should show similar commitment. If he has a solid cover, he might be one of the best young talents in Russia.
A bad and porous midfield will expose his cover and lead to the type of onslaughts Nigeria experienced against England in that first half. In that sort of situations, goalkeepers would normally save unbelievable shots, parry balls sailing into the top angle of the post but would commit silly and school boys errors eventually.

Give that boy good cover and watch him do wonders. Btw, that freekick save against England that resulted in the corner that gave the three lions their first goal would not have been saved by Akpeyi or Ezewa.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:56pm On Jun 08, 2018
To be fair shaa.... he didn't mention Nigeria. He was only speaking generally of how European teams can hurt African teams. It is the media turning it on its head. Partey is a great admirer of Mikel Obi... this I know from his own words. But I still wanted to fry his black ass for the rough plays on K.Nwakali... K.Nwakali really bossed partey in that game to the extent Partey wanted to take him out for good. Lol...

maidaboi:
hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:01pm On Jun 08, 2018
What you propose is similar to mine... and indeed I have seen Victor Moses feature in a LWB role for Chelsea and he was very good too. He played there about two or three times in preseason for Chelsea.

This set-up can crack most teams if we are being honest, we have seen what a deadly frontline of Nacho and Iwobi as false 9s can do... with a Mikel behind them...

Now add a Moses as LWB and Ebuehi as RWB... and we could have an explosion that will birth awesome football and goals galore!!!! Especially with Ndidi and Ogu/Etebo behind Mikel in that midfield.

What we are after is not who has been longer in the team or who is wearing the no.9 or no.10 shirt.. nope... what we are after is the best combination of players in a formation that can and will give us results against almost any side in world football.

This is the EARTHQUAKE team... wink

ChrisKels:
I have this feeling that Moses would serve us better playing as a left wing back if we deployed the 3-5-2 formation because to me, idowu isn't up to the job and Moses is less useful playing as a winger in a 4-3-3 formation where he partners a not so prolific Ighalo.

A vicmo as a LWB for Nigeria will be allowed to overlap even more than he does for chelsea-fc and he should also be tasked with playing his primary role as a full back.

Vicmo as normal left winger loves to attack, track back, dribble and also cut into his preferred feet to unlish a shot. in the same vain, If he is played as a LWB, he would be given the special permission to join the attack at will and also join the defense when we are under siege. Knowing Moses for who he is and as a professional, I believe he would do this job perfectly by not leaving too much gap behind, as such, he would be important to us both in the defense and attack even in the midfield.

If we file out this way, then Rohr will now have the opportunity to field his best attackers in Iwobi and Acho. By so doing, we would be able to have an attacking line that comprises an overlaping Moses, Iwobi, Acho and another overlapping (though to a lesser extent) ebuehi. And when we are under attack we would also have a defensive line that looks this way ; Moses, balogun, Ekong, Omeruo and ebuehi.

This will be very effective because Moses has that energy, dribbling ability and pace to be useful to us both in the defense and attack.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sikells(m): 3:13pm On Jun 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

Bia who be this?
Intro urself grin
Sikells...as in Silas Kelly?
lolz... am also chriskellz...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:13pm On Jun 08, 2018
Another fantasy formation for Nigeria is this....

Preamble: Obviously 3-5-2 has suddenly become our strongest and most effective formation... this is really beautiful and funny at the same time... I recall when some thought it could never be applied to the Super Eagles... how the times have changed...

Now to other options...

In a 4-2-3-1... play Etebo as LW (left AMF). Victor Moses as RW (Right AMF). Iwobi as central AMF... with Mikel as CM and Ndidi as DM.
The defence will pick itself and leading the attack will be Simy/Ighalo (natural and physically strong center forwards)..... or I could play Iheanaacho instead if I go for more raumdeuter movements than having a less mobile static 9 or big target man.

Why Etebo as LW? That way he can have fluid interchanges with Mikel and Iwobi with Mikel free to take up AM role with Etebo slotting temporarily as CM, when Iwobi drifts to the left sometimes... And the cycle repeats itself to see them return to their starting places.. would also confuse the opposition. Iwobi will be free to roam in this set-up too.

In a 3-4-3.... it would be Idowu as LWB, Ebuehi as RWB, The central midfield two of Mikel and Ndidi.

The fluid forward three of Iwobi (LWF), Iheanacho (Central forward) and Victor Moses (RWF) with Iwobi to join the midfield as he wants and provide more link up channels with Nacho and Moses...

. The three man defence will be Balogun (LCB), Ekong (C-CB), And Omeruo/Awaziem (RCB).

Now this 3-4-3 can also be broken into a variant 3-4-2-1 or even a 3-4-1-2... it depends.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:19pm On Jun 08, 2018
actually it was ejike uzeonyi who replaced elderson.

yes 1998 team also carried too many unprepared players. akpoborie being dropped for an obviously injured amokachi was a travesty but to be fair the others you mentioned who were there replacements? eguavoen would have been dropped for jero shakpore but unfortunately the latter got injured. rufai yes but shorunmu and joseph dosu were also knocked of by injury. ben iroha apart from him which other decent backup to babayaro did we have. celestine sef was just getting back from months of serious injury.defence was really weak that year apart from taribo and uche ikechukwu can't remember any other decent defender who could have served as cover.

for me the lessons which we should learn is that as much as possible always have a large pool of players to choose from for every position so that in case of accidents or emergencies we won't be left threadbare

Kog45:
Sir if Keshi's team was a disgrace to football then Onigbinde's team of 2002 is what?Nigeria 2010 WC team is what?

Even France 98 team is what cos this was a team that took 5 pensioners to WC,namely Peter Rufai,Rashidi Yekini, Augustine Eguavoen,Ben Iroha,Uche Okafor and took already injured Amokachie to WC and dropped in form Jonathan Akpoborie.

And on 5 CB he took to WC,pls try and sit down and analyse why he took such decision or do you think Keshi was a dummy.

On Kunle Odunlami, he replaced injured Echiejile and was to deputise for Ambrose and Oshaniwa cos he was a versatile defender.

If i may ask is Ambrose a CB under Keshi but RB.Keshi took four CB to WC namely Joseph Yobo, Kenneth Omeruo,Godfrey Oboboana and Egwueke.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:21pm On Jun 08, 2018
Same here. Propaganda and Palestinians are inseparable, like 1 and 2. Instead of pursuing real peace with their neighbor, they chose to play the propaganda game shocked

O pari

lexyman:

People put all sort together just to unsettle the general public , i was also looking for such image online , didt find any ....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:23pm On Jun 08, 2018
Kog45:

Ejike uzoenyi replaced echiejile on the last minute due to injury

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:25pm On Jun 08, 2018
chrisooblog:
actually it was ejike uzeonyi who replaced elderson.

yes 1998 team also carried too many unprepared players. akpoborie being dropped for an obviously injured amokachi was a travesty but to be fair the others you mentioned who were there replacements? eguavoen would have been dropped for jero shakpore but unfortunately the latter got injured. rufai yes but shorunmu and joseph dosu were also knocked of by injury. ben iroha apart from him which other decent backup to babayaro did we have. celestine sef was just getting back from months of serious injury.defence was really weak that year apart from taribo and uche ikechukwu can't remember any other decent defender who could have served as cover.

for me the lessons which we should learn is that as much as possible always have a large pool of players to choose from for every position so that in case of accidents or emergencies we won't be left threadbare

Good analysis,respect my man for saying it without sentiment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:26pm On Jun 08, 2018
andrew444:

Ejike uzoenyi replaced echiejile on the last minute due to injury
Thanks for the correction
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:26pm On Jun 08, 2018
lexyman:

Musa will be comfortable in that position , but my problem with Musa is the funny crosses ..... but we re at advantage cos he is in the best form of his life . alot of us want to tinker with the team grin lets leave Rohr to do his job . that team can make over 40 passes in 2 minutes . underrate the Eagles at your own peril
Musa should be given a chance. He could be the hit we need to boost morale as he's in top form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 3:27pm On Jun 08, 2018
Icon79:

O pari

you know nothing, icon79

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:27pm On Jun 08, 2018
KK555:

You showed your brown teeth a bit too early and no Ghana is not a second half team like Nigeria. It is not over until the whistle goes at the end of 90 mins. I am sure the whole of Sub sahara Africa would like to see that spirit when the Eagles file out against Croatia. We all want to see Nigeria not draw but beat Modric on the 16th June. Mikel and co should silence Modric, Rakitic, Perisic and co. Anything short of victory is a loss for Nigeria.

Lessons learnt from Poland, Serbia and Czech matches should guide them to victory. They should not wait for the lateral crosses to start flying in before they regroup and counter. Your goal keeper is good but sure to see teams hitting ferocious shots waiting for him to spill it for sweet rebounds because your defence sometimes go to sleep and is very slow to react. Uzoho spilt a shot against England but was lucky Ashley young did not react quick enough. The Czech used that to score against you. You might see that again in Russia. He will be tested and the enemies would be expecting to exploit that to score you.

They would expect you to have a bad first half then neutralize your threats in the 2nd half. They will know you,d string good passes together but have not cracked that penetration code. Ighalo is too unsettled to do that. Bad positioning is his worst attribute. He reads his line wrongly or he might not even be aware of that and your midfield players do not read him well to pass when he makes the runs.

I have a feeling the tall Simi might be the key but can they use his attributes and talent well?
I showed my teeth for the person I quoted who said England would reach semifinals. It had nothing to do with your Ghana.

Next time, read to understand.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:28pm On Jun 08, 2018
Odunayaw:
Anyone going to watch the Croatia -Senegal match?
What time is it.?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 3:29pm On Jun 08, 2018
Icon79:
Same here. Propaganda and Palestinians are inseparable, like 1 and 2. Instead of pursuing real peace with their neighbor, they chose to play the propaganda game shocked

O pari

who are using propaganda? the Palestinians being killed unjustly? angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:31pm On Jun 08, 2018
Kog45:

Don't just waste your time educating keshi's haters Sir, cos rohr who folks think he is a better coach have his work cut out to better the 2014 performance and it's not beans by any standard

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:32pm On Jun 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

Great insight. And I hope and pray that Rohr has at least half of this analysis in his plans especially the formation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
Did anyone see John Ogu being played as LCB coming? wink

Aha... I thought as much. Rohr would still surprise many in Russia. He has tested almost close to enough of all the tactical tweaks and permutations he was juggling in his head all this while just to see the extent of this team's flexibility and certain players' adaptability to some roles in various tactial set-ups.

So Relax... Rohr and the players will ready by June 16.

The time is near. The Eagles are getting set to soar to heights yet unattained. We can only wish them the best because even in the presence of the brightest talents and best preparation programs sometimes, some teams fall short and are unlucky. Hungary of the 40s, 50s and 60s comes to mind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
Na wa o, wetin dey happen to tbaba1234 ? Did mods ban him??

(1) (2) (3) ... (3975) (3976) (3977) (3978) (3979) (3980) (3981) ... (16333) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lebuhsi(m), femicyrus(m), Danielnino00(m), stulp16, lbrichman2, BascoVanVeli(m), elyte89, Badbunny, Eawwal(m), COOL10(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.