Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,751 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11658379 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4143) (4144) (4145) (4146) (4147) (4148) (4149) ... (16149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 5:59pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Don't mind some of these guys. Mikel did create some chances. And what Okocha said is nonsense. He is talking trash about accommodating Mikel. Who else can bring calm to our midfield the way Mikel does?

And guess who Mikel battled and won the ball off at that corner... it was Luka Modric himself. Both of them had a keen battle throughout the duration of the game. Mikel matched Modric throughout.

I beg to disagree sir. Okocha is a legend in the game. And you will agree with me that the duel you referred to involving Mikel and Modric, Modric beat him with his pace. I watched Mikel struggle with pace, something a speedster would av done with ease.

Mikel played well yesterday but frankly, wrongly deployed against a formidable midfield of Croatia. If you ask me, since we knew that croatia boasts of a very robust midfield, I would have expected we played Mikel in front of the defence with Ndidi as he reads games better from that position. Even if we wanted to play the 4-2-3-1, it could still work but mikel is not a speedster (if only you know the distance you have to cover from one half to the other, you will know Mikel is not the man for AM)

Play people according to what they are good at .... if you have to hurt some feelings, so be it. Now we see why some managers bench some players especially the result driven ones. Mikel has been conditioned to be a defensive midfielder for the last 13 years, it is only logical to see he cant keep up with the pace in the front 3

While I am not saying we could have beaten croatia last night, well it wouldnt at least be a bad idea if we didnt lose. Cos frankly Croatia didnt boss us in any way in my own opinion. The conservatism of Rorh at launching a full frontal attack on teams is what is costing the team. Plus i feel he doesnt wanna ruffle some feathers hence the constant featuring of some players even though their end products leave a lot to be desired of

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Well sorry the question was asked by one who doesn't understand Winger-fullback interplays down a flank in attacking transitions. wink So uhmmm sorry.

somehow:

Says a man who couldn't answer the question asked him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 17, 2018
That Mexican performance reminds me of Argentina Nigeria friendly. Looks like the "Nigerian Spirit" got the wrong stadium address. Na kallingrad you suppose go no be luthzinski stadium
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:03pm On Jun 17, 2018
phreakabit:

You are validating my argument here.
You can't have two CM's in a 4-2-3-1 hence the advanced CM becomes a CAM. . .
BTW did you notice Ozil's role in todays game? That's down to the formation the coach deploys.
No I'm not. You can not call a DLP a "10". 10s are Trequestira and create much closer to goal. Xavi creates from deep.
You can have CMs. When Elneny plays with Xhaka, both don't bomb forward as much as Ramsey does. So its obviously a tactical thing.
Xavi is closer to a Regista than a 10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:05pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Well sorry the question was asked by one who doesn't understand Winger-fullback interplays down a flank in attacking transitions. wink So uhmmm sorry.

Says a man who still cant answer why his definition is limited to just the eagles even though both teams played the same formation grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2018
Uhmmm... I am sure you witnessed their first major duel where Mikel beat Modric by robbing him of the ball down left flank and creating one of our first chances from the left of attack.

Mikel matched Modric. I observed their battle keenly from the word go.

As for Okocha. He is a legend yes and legends too can be wrong.

As for the rest of your comment. I have already addressed further options for our Super Eagles midfield with Mikel stepping back into CM playing closer to Ndidi (DM) as a connector and depelying playmaker while allowing Iwobi the freedom to roam and penetrate as the AM.

But on Mikel, he did okay. It is not his fault Ighalo flunked. Ighalo was so static upfront with his poor off the ball motion. Very abysmal. Mikel also created good chances but we were just unable to get them on target.

kennysville:

I beg to disagree sir. Okocha is a legend in the game. And you will agree with me that the duel you referred to involving Mikel and Modric, Modric beat him with his pace. I watched Mikel struggle with pace, something a speedster would av done with ease.

Mikel played well yesterday but frankly, wrongly deployed against a formidable midfield of Croatia. If you ask me, since we knew that croatia boasts of a very robust midfield, I would have expected we played Mikel in front of the defence with Ndidi as he reads games better from that position. Even if we wanted to play the 4-2-3-1, it could still work but mikel is not a speedster (if only you know the distance you have to cover from one half to the other, you will know Mikel is not the man for AM)

Play people according to what they are good at .... if you have to hurt some feelings, so be it. Now we see why some managers bench some players especially the result driven ones. Mikel has been conditioned to be a defensive midfielder for the last 13 years, it is only logical to see he cant keep up with the pace in the front 3

While I am not saying we could have beaten croatia last night, well it wouldnt at least be a bad idea if we didnt lose. Cos frankly Croatia didnt boss us in any way in my own opinion. The conservatism of Rorh at launching a full frontal attack on teams is what is costing the team. Plus i feel he doesnt wanna ruffle some feathers hence the constant featuring of some players even though their end products leave a lot to be desired of
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:
The German team is the perfect example why you don't pick a team on sentiments.
Neuer isn’t back to full fitness, a fit Neuer saves that goal.
Khedira shouldn’t be starting not with Can on the team.
Boateng hasn’t played all season and he has been lumbering in this match.
na wa. you are really a nigerian.we do not see the world as it is but as we are. nigerians see sentiments whether in the form of tribalism or favoritism in everything to the extent that they even use it to interprete the actions of other countries. go and read 'Das Reboot: How Germany Won the World Cup' and you will find that right up to their first match Germany had fears about the fitness of this same Neuer(i dont understand this talk whenever a goalkeeper is scored and you guys come out to say all this things. now this is not Uzoho yet you basically saying the same thing. dem no go sccore goalkeeper again? haba) Lahm, Shweinsteiger, Khedira,Klose all had fitness concerns and yet they went ahead to win the WC.

here's an excerpt from the book on the above point

But the ‘no compromise’ line was quietly shelved as key players Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger (all Bayern Munich) and Sami Khedira (Real Madrid) turned up in northern Italy in varying states of unfitness. Doubts over the physical shape of veteran striker Miroslav Klose after a season with little football at Lazio added to the pervading sense of uncertainty. Instead of being able to rely on his team’s spine, Löw was staring at a team sheet full of question marks. Neuer, the outstanding goalkeeper, had hurt his shoulder in the DFB Cup final and missed the first days of the training camp, along with the consistently excellent and versatile Lahm, who was nursing a complicated ankle injury. ‘There were days when I couldn’t run in straight lines,’ recalls the captain, sitting in his agent’s office in Munich’s fashionable meatpacking district. ‘The team were already in Italy, yet I was still with the doctors in Munich. They were saying that they couldn’t really tell me anything because the scans looked so strange. Everything was swollen.’

i dont trust the analysis of most of here abeg. the most shocking is:when a goalkeeper concedes one will hear all sorts of unreasonable. for you to narrow germany's defeat to sentiment on the part of the coach shows that you know nothing about the German character. Germans are the most unsentimental people. you are just projecting nigeria into germany.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:07pm On Jun 17, 2018
Still harping the same song mister. Just accept you are ignorant on this one. It is still okay. You don't know because you don't know. This is why you hail a poor offensive Shehu. Please allow me to speak on better matters if you refuse to understand simple football concepts. Thank you. wink

somehow:

Says a man who still cant answer his definition is limited to just the eagles even though both teams play the same formation grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2018
Bolowolowo:

I'd wait until lineups and formation is released to be making such statements. I love my GWG, but I don't know about moving on...

Hmmm, thoughtful. Let's hope for the best sir. smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2018
kennysville:

Mikel should have been deployed deeper yesterday. I don't understand why people aren't seeing this. We got away with it at the WCQs but I always knew it'd be difficult in the WC proper.
We needed Iwobi and Etebo ahead with Ighalo to press while Mikel dictates from deep. We know Mikel's stamina is poor so why make him have to drop back deep anyways when he can start from deep, save his energy from running up and down and dictate??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2018
I know much about the Mexicans. Thank you.

somehow:
Been following the Mexicans during qualifiers and friendly matches, they're very underated. they play as a unit. try getting to catch some of their recent matches to get the drift.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2018
dem no go score goalkeeper again? for fvcksakes this is Nueur not Uzoho. this tells me that it makes no difference to you guys who is in the GK. once a goalkeeper concedes una go begin spin one untenable reason or the other. look at what basco was saying yesterday about Uzoho and now even an internationally outstanding Goalkeeper as Nueur is being given the flak.

i ask again:dem no go score goalkeeper again?

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phreakabit(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:

No I'm not. You can not call a DLP a "10". 10s are Trequestira and create much closer to goal. Xavi creates from deep.
You can have CMs. When Elneny plays with Xhaka, both don't bomb forward as much as Ramsey does. So its obviously a tactical thing.
Xavi is closer to a Regista than a 10.

This is absolutely ridiculous!
The terms you use are just terms created by Italian tacticians!
They do not apply generally.
Elneny plays as a CM with Xhaka in the absence of Whilshere!
When Xhaka is absent Elneny becomes the 4!
Okocha played as a 10 in a 4-4-2 formation, but was always deep in the midfield and pushed the attack from the depth!

Just to illustrate

=======================9
=================8 (SS/CAM)
====11 ========================== 7
============10

=========================4

PS: You might want to check Arsenals forum goonersworld.co.uk to ask what Xhaka actually plays as. He is a DM, a piss poor one though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2018
Russia 2018 General Titbits

From @OptaJoe:

3 - This is the third consecutive World Cup in which the reigning champion has failed to win their opening match – Italy drew 1-1 with Paraguay in 2010, while Spain lost 5-1 against the Netherlands in 2014. Hangover.

#GER #WorldCup

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Still harping the same song mister. Just accept you are ignorant on this one. It is still okay. You don't know because you don't know. This is why you hail a poor offensive Shehu. Please allow me to speak on better matters if you refuse to understand simple football concepts. Thank you. wink

When you answer the question, i will decide to either accept or reject your label.

We played 4:2:3:1 same with the crots,how many of their crosses came from their RB? How come it was Modric and Rakitic that did the crosses and passes?

Let's be serious, can you answer this? Since you think you know the role of a RB in a 4:2:3:1.

There is no FB or RFB in a 4:2:3:1. Pls its very simple to grasp.

In all of my comments, i haven't hailed him nor did i hail anyone else, i only said expecting him to do the crosses when we had a Moses bossing that wing is unfair. How come Rohr only get to use Ebuehi in a 3:5:2 formation and not the other way round?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Don't mind some of these guys. Mikel did create some chances. And what Okocha said is nonsense. He is talking trash about accommodating Mikel. Who else can bring calm to our midfield the way Mikel does?

And guess who Mikel battled and won the ball off at that corner... it was Luka Modric himself. Both of them had a keen battle throughout the duration of the game. Mikel matched Modric throughout.

I seriously faulted Okocha on that his comment of Mikel being accommodated in the team.

He even answered out of context on what Zola asked him.

Zola wanted to know which role(position) Mikel will play in the team. Very simple question. Okocha started saying all those accommodation stuff. Making it seem as if Mikel has been a burden to the team.

His answer simply shows his level of knowledge about that team.

He left Zola gazing because he didn't address the question.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
I know much about the Mexicans. Thank you.

You're getting worked up already, it's just a friendly conversation.

Lets end everything here then.

Enjoy your day bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:20pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

You cannot rule out friendly matches with a stroke of pen. France were not so good in friendlies and it showed in their first game in Russia. Germany weren't convincing in their friendlies and you are seeing how they are struggling today.
what was the french run of friendlies before they won the WC in 98? poor, poor poor. the french press even called for the sack of the coach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:20pm On Jun 17, 2018
Thank you very much Chief Icon4s... Okocha is a legend yes but I am also no novice in football analysis.

Even on this matter, Oma akatugba, a top journalist said,

"I respect Okocha as a legend yes. But I respect myself more"

Okocha uttered total nonsense. Mikel is key and a leader in our midfield. We don't speak of having him in the first XI because he is just captain or the most experienced... Or just to accommodate him... NOOOOO!!! And again Noooo... We need Mikel because he brings calm and stability to that middle whether as an AM or as a CM in a deeplying role. And no one in this team right now does it better than him. EOD.

Icon4s:

I seriously faulted Okocha on that his comment of Mikel being accommodated in the team.

Zola wanted to know which role(position) Mikel will play in the team. Very simple question. Okocha started saying all those accommodation stuff. Making it seem as if Mikel has been a burden to the team.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2018
@ bolded.. thank you!

komekn:

Let's face some hard truths. We played without any sense of conviction, no passion and no real desire.

Our players are mostly average that's the REALITY.

I noticed that Etebo, Ebuehi and Balogun signed new contracts well before the World cup.Oftem players do not commit until after the World cup anticipating that thier market value will go up after a good World cup.

But almost if they have assumed that we were never going to anything. These players decided to sign up now and not later. I am sure after this display Balogun would have been omitted from the list of wanted players

I am watching Mexico play with DETERMINATION, CONVICTION, PASSION, DESIRE, COHESION, DISCIPLINE and BELIEF.

All the things we did not show forger whether you play in Odogbolu or Real Madrid. Play with the belief you can win or do not turn up. This is the WORLD CUP for goodness sake, what more motivation do you need.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2018
Icon4s:

He left Zola gazing because he didn't address the question.

i think that was done intentionally , cos he kept hammering on why Iwobi was played out of position ...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:22pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Mikel matched modric grin grin grin

TheSupernerd abeg give me DT meme wet one woman open her mouth for one ceremony grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2018
Bolowolowo:
Is anyone currently watching the German game? Where the hell did our passion go? After the Saudis, people are saying we're the worst team...
undoubtedly we were. i hate tepid football so much

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:

Mikel should have been deployed deeper yesterday. I don't understand why people aren't seeing this. We got away with it at the WCQs but I always knew it'd be difficult in the WC proper.
We needed Iwobi and Etebo ahead with Ighalo to press while Mikel dictates from deep. We know Mikel's stamina is poor so why make him have to drop back deep anyways when he can start from deep, save his energy from running up and down and dictate??
not with Ighalo again please...
why can't you guys see that...the dude is a clueless when it comes to goal scoring...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:25pm On Jun 17, 2018
Sorry no meme for you Joker... cheesy Lol... Warming up for Brazil, my favorite team "overall" at this tournament after only Nigeria. grin

elyte89:

Mikel matched modric grin grin grin

The.Supernerd abeg give me DT meme wet one woman open her mouth for one ceremony grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:25pm On Jun 17, 2018
phreakabit:

Okocha played as a 10 in a 4-4-2 formation, but was always deep in the midfield and pushed the attack from the depth!

Just to illustrate

=======================9
============10

PS: You might want to check Arsenals forum goonersworld.co.uk to ask what Xhaka actually plays as. He is a DM, a piss poor one though.
In a 4-3-3 i.e Barca's 4-3-3, Xavi is not a "10". He isn't a regista either but is closer to that than a 10.
Arsenal are obviously using Xhaka wrongly. Just because he plays as the deepest midfielder doesn't mean he has ALL the defensive responsibility. At Mochengladbach, he had a CM in front of him who did the dirty work and broke up play.
A 10 is creative player who plays closer to goal. Xavi is not that. A 6 can be creative fulcrum, a 8 can be a creative fulcrum as well.
In Barca's 4-3-3, you do NOT call Xavi a 10. Playmaker yes. 10 - no
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:25pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

How did their victory come about?was it not a fluke goal and a soft penalty they won the game with? Do you know how heavily critical the French public are of this present team and manager?
Pogba is under heavy fire from the French media for the limp performance against Australia. Bros, let's not derail this thread.
hahahahaha hahahaha. i guess there are many goldfishes in the french football pond. na joke oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2018
somehow:

You're getting worked up already, it's just a friendly conversation.

Lets end everything here then.

Enjoy your day bro.
every one is angry bro...including me...
I don't mind canvass for the sack of rohr should he make same line up in our next two match and we get to loose....

don't wanna call him a serial failure not until then...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:27pm On Jun 17, 2018
Humility017:

not with Ighalo again please...
why can't you guys see that...the dude is a clueless when it comes to goal scoring...
Yep I agree. Ighalo has seriously been thrash. Movement has been poor. Can't take players on. If he isn't doing any of that, then we might as well play Nacho because at least Nacho is a much much better finisher
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2018
You are thanking him now but when we mention such a super talent with BIG HEART playing in same Odogbolu he will remind us that he has not played top level football in the top 5 leagues and does not deserve an invite to the national team. Funny... Very very funny.

He mocks top young Nigerian talents like K.Nwakali and S.Chukwueze.. Players with the heart and the talent to add value in future to the team and plays down their quality. Now he is here talking Odogbolu and you sef dey thank am... I am just watching you all.

JoebieII:
@ bolded.. thank you!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:

Gbam! That's what people don't understand. It's not the loss that's hurting me but the lack of effort and how easy Croatia found this game. Croatia didn't need to play well to win. We didn't threaten them enough. That's the major disappointment for me. Rohr is tactically useless.
same pain here bro. the Croats will be surprised at how easy the game was for them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Spy360(m): 6:30pm On Jun 17, 2018
phreakabit:

Just to illustrate

=======================9
============10

Your understanding of football positions is obsolete brother.

Xhaka is not a DM. He is a playmaker for Arsenal. Wenger does not usually deploy a DM, which !explains why his team is so defensively exposed.

What superned is trying to explain is what most managers apply today.

Mikel would have easily bossed that midfield had he played deeper.

Iwobi is better off as a CAM that a winger as he tends to play with the ball close to feet.

A 3-5-2 formation without Shehu but with Iheanacho could have matched the Croatians better.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4143) (4144) (4145) (4146) (4147) (4148) (4149) ... (16149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Philosopher1979, mkrest(m), shawwal1(m), TheGoodJoe(m), mummyson26(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.