Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (460) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11715041 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) ... (16163) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:01pm On Jan 15, 2017
zicky:
they can't do another Dele Alli on us
a Dele Alli works once in a very blue moon for them.

At least we got Iwobi....we're not even sure the Lookman send us
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 5:26pm On Jan 15, 2017
Algeria Vs Zimbabwe not going according to script. Algerians dont seem to know what has hit them. Don't know if Zim can sustain the tempo though (Alg 1 - 1 Zim)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 5:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
tglobal:
Algeria Vs Zimbabwe not going according to script. Algerians dont seem to know what has hit them. Don't know if Zim can sustain the tempo though (Alg 1 - 1 Zim)

The Zimbabwean were very precise in the first half , thew knew what they wanted and they went for it .... capitalised on the ALGERIAN weakness , and struck them , good first half so far !
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:55pm On Jan 15, 2017
Ademola Lookman should be looked into immediately... March friendly... Get him into the side...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2017
lexyman:

The Zimbabwean were very precise in the first half , thew knew what they wanted and they went for it .... capitalised on the ALGERIAN weakness , and struck them , good first half so far !

That Algeria team is worst team so far in this Afcon, to play together na wahala, very individualistic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
lakesidepapa:

That Algeria team is worst team so far in this Afcon, to play together na wahala, very individualistic

I disagree with you , they weren't that bad , they deserved to win the game the way they played in the second half , but they were unlucky.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2017
lexyman:

I disagree with you , they weren't that bad , they deserved to win the game the way they played in the second half , but they were unlucky.

Sorry I only watched the first half, they were bad at the first half.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:36pm On Jan 15, 2017
safarigirl:

this same Kelechi that was scoring brace and hat-trick under Pellegrinni just last year.....and dem say make we leave am, he still dey learn work. Pesin wey dey regress when e dey learn work, is that not a sign that the new master is incapable of inculcating the needed technique and skills in him?

As for Bravo, like I said, flop.

See Everton that Leicester locked down and conquered just a week ago, using City to shine. Issorait

Aguero that is one of the top performers in the EPL hardly had a chance to take a shot on target and you want Iheanacho to score a hat-trick. It was a cagey game with most of Everton players behind the ball. There was little to no chance to score. If the referee gave Sterling the Blatant penalty, the game would have opened up.

Even Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi finds it difficult in a cagey game. When teams play City, the strategy is simple, stay deep and wait for us to push forward in mass and hit on a counter.

With the goal, it was easier for them to stay organised and we commit more. There is nothing like regression in this case. Players do not regress like that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Aguero that is one of the top performers in the EPL hardly had a chance to take a shot on target and you want Iheanacho to score a hat-trick. It was a cagey game with most of Everton players behind the ball. There was little to no chance to score. If the referee gave Sterling the Blatant penalty, the game would have opened up.

Even Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi finds it difficult in a cagey game. When teams play City, the strategy is simple, stay deep and wait for us to push forward in mass and hit on a counter.

With the goal, it was easier for them to stay organised and we commit more. There is nothing like regression in this case. Players do not regress like that.
na you I don dey wait since.

Cagey game, because Pep no sabi work abi?

You know how many games Kelechi has played this season? I expected a brace at least once since how many months now, yet even one goal is few and far between.

If you think my Kelechi comment was based on this one game, you're very wrong.

For once, just veto on this your need to justify everything Pep and City do. It's okay as a fan, to say "Today, we f'ucked up", even City fans from Manchester City themselves habe those days.

One day, just give yourself a break, this job you're doing is a thankless job. Focus your energy on teams like Rangers, Warri Wolves and co if you must be this passionate, NPFL needs you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
safarigirl:

this same Kelechi that was scoring brace and hat-trick under Pellegrinni just last year.....and dem say make we leave am, he still dey learn work. Pesin wey dey regress when e dey learn work, is that not a sign that the new master is incapable of inculcating the needed technique and skills in him?

As for Bravo, like I said, flop.

See Everton that Leicester locked down and conquered just a week ago, using City to shine. Issorait

As for Bravo, I do not know how else to explain it. He is exceptional in build-up plays. Just as he was brilliant today. Unfortunately, we are having a big problem, transiting the build-up plays into created chances. We hardly have one on one situations.

When we control the game like we did against Everton today, if we do not create good chances, it creates a negative effect. With lots of gaps created and the keeper exposed.

Bravo was never exceptional in saves but exceptional in build-up plays. With an aged defence and defensive midfield, Bravo is exposed a lot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:51pm On Jan 15, 2017
safarigirl:

You know how many games Kelechi has played this season? I expected a brace at least once since how many months now, yet even one goal is few and far between.

For once, just veto on this your need to justify everything Pep and City do. It's okay as a fan, to say "Today, we f'ucked up", even City fans from Manchester City themselves habe those days.

One day, just give yourself a break, this job you're doing is a thankless job. Focus your energy on teams like Rangers, Warri Wolves and co if you must be this passionate, NPFL needs you.

I can not okay everything City do. I was mad at the sacking of Mancini. It was crazy after he came second in the FA Cup and League. The whole not qualifying for Europe will come but the management were impatient. We are still paying for that action because he was one person who knew how to build a formidable squad.

I am definitely mad at the way we have handled our youth policy. It sickens me when I see Alexander Arnold at 18 start against Manchester United today in such a big game. See a kid like Davies run past our players and score.

It is still the same old thing I have cried repeatedly on this thread. Experience is overrated. What is the use of the Experience when Zabby and Yaya can not shield the defence. We have a young Alex Garcia. It is better we play the young players than have the so called experienced players performing abysmally.

With Kolarov, Clichy and to some extent Sagna performing poorly, why send Maffeo and Angelino on loan. Beats my imagination.

I doubt Adarabioyo can perform as poorly as Stones did today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:58pm On Jan 15, 2017
safarigirl:

When people criticise, I want it the right way, not misplaced. Our problem is simple. The team is aging and we have failed to trust in our young players to fill the team. From Silva, Yaya, Kompany, Clichy, Kolarov, Sagna, Zabaleta even Fernandinho are above 30.

With the intensity and pace of the EPL, we can not expect magic from Pep. We need young players that suit his philosophy and patience. We need creative players that can unlock tight defences.

With time he will sort it out. So far, he is doing wonders for me because with the age of the squad, we can not perform at this level for this long. He won five out of his last seven games. That does not count as does not know his work for me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:04pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

With time he will sort it out. So far, he is doing wonders for me because with the age of the squad, we can not perform at this level for this long. He won five out of his last seven games. That does not count as does not know his work for me.

The bolded is the problem. You think, Pep is 'doing wonders' even till now.. The so called old players are not slouches by any means.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:08pm On Jan 15, 2017
tbaba1234:

The bolded is the problem. You think, Pep is 'doing wonders' even till now.. The so called old players are not slouches by any means.

It is wonders because we finished fourth last season because the squad was aging. Not that Pellegrini was a bad coach. We outplayed and beat Barcelona this season. Outplayed and beat Arsenal. Went on a ten games winning streak.

With these aging players, it is wonders. I expected a flush of the defence and with most of their contracts running out this season, we can expect freshness.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I can not okay everything City do. I was mad at the sacking of Mancini. It was crazy after he came second in the FA Cup and League. The whole not qualifying for Europe will come but the management were impatient. We are still paying for that action because he was one person who knew how to build a formidable squad.

I am definitely mad at the way we have handled our youth policy. It sickens me when I see Alexander Arnold at 18 start against Manchester United today in such a big game. See a kid like Davies run past our players and score.

It is still the same old thing I have cried repeatedly on this thread. Experience is overrated. What is the use of the Experience when Zabby and Yaya can not shield the defence. We have a young Alex Garcia. It is better we play the young players than have the so called experienced players performing abysmally.

With Kolarov, Clichy and to some extent Sagna performing poorly, why send Maffeo and Angelino on loan. Beats my imagination.

I doubt Adarabioyo can perform as poorly as Stones did today.
am I the only one seeing something different today, I was expecting something like ; the team were good at their pressing game, Bravo was superb, the ref was poor, everton players were blah blah blah
Just consider safarigirl advice, direct 20% of your energy to one local side.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:10pm On Jan 15, 2017
zicky:
am I the only one seeing something different today, I was expecting something like ; the team were good at their pressing game, Bravo was superb, the ref was poor, everton players were blah blah blah
Just consider safarigirl advice, direct 20% of your energy to one local side.

I would take your comment serious if you had an actual input. There is absolutely no point in the above.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I would take your comment serious if you had an actual input. There is absolutely no point in the above.

Hahaha lol

He actually has point Joe. I laughed when I read his comment. You have always defended mancity with many of those words above. But today one can tell from your tone that you feel as humbled as Pep.
You have even steered clear of vindicating Iheanacho's performance as you would usually do.
'He is pressing well' 'His link up play improved massively' 'He is learning fast' cheesy

Truth is Guardiola's tiki taka football phisolophy is very alien to these premiership guys and can take ages to perfect. EPL clubs do not have that patience and if Pep does not do something fast he will soon be on his way out.

I mean he has terribly regressed this team from what he inherited. Are you trying to say Yaya toure and Zabaletta suddenly aged over night?
Yaya is not finished and he clearly showed it in his game today. It is Guardiola's alien one way tactic that should be attacked.

I tell you if Mourinho inherits this same team from Pep, Mancity would be a difficult team to score against or defeat.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:16pm On Jan 15, 2017
onirugbon:
Iheanacho once again causes the third goal with a poor passing.

Men and brethren, that is it. Pepe has succeeded in dipping our boy's confidence.
lol, tell goodjoe o.

Handwriting on the wall na permanent marker, there's nothing like it will gradually become bold for all to see.

Simply put, The confidence of the MVP of a youth tournament is now waned right under a supposed worl best coach. Let pep learn.

And like I said earlier, when you see Lagos, the welcome signboard says "This is Lagos" and not "welcome to lagos"

Pep,This is the EPL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
onirugbon:

Hahaha lol

He actually has point Joe. I laughed when I read his comment. You have always defended mancity with many of those words above. But today one can tell from your tone that you feel as humbled as Pep.
You have even steered clear of vindicating Iheanacho's performance as you would usually do.
'He is pressing well' 'His link up play improved massively' 'He is learning fast' cheesy

Truth is Guardiola's tiki taka football phisolophy is very alien to these premiership guys and can take ages to perfect. EPL clubs do not have that patience and if Pep does not do something fast he will soon be on his way out.

I mean he has terribly regressed this team from what he inherited. Are you trying to say Yaya toure and Zabaletta suddenly aged over night?
Yaya is not finished and he clearly showed it in his game today. It is Guardiola's alien one way tactic that should be attacked.

I tell you if Mourinho inherits this same team from Pep, Mancity would be a difficult team to score against or defeat.

I still believe we would have performed better if Iheanacho started. Without a doubt. Look at the few minutes he was on, he made a brilliant run which De Bruyne made a low cross. Although the cross went to the keeper. Without those runs, we can not cause problems.

In the first half, it reached a time I shook my head. The Everton players kept delaying balls and passing to the keeper and no one to press.

There is no criticism of Iheanacho being poor. I would have highlighted the good part of his game. Just like when I talk of his pressing. I repeat, no forward in City can press like Nacho and I feel our reliance on Aguero is costing us.

So, his comment makes really no point. Read it. Our attack was sharper with Nacho but I would have preferred more pace with Sane up front. A Nacho, Sane and Sterling forward looks more formidable than with Aguero. However, Aguero’s history makes him an automatic pick.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:20pm On Jan 15, 2017
onirugbon:

Hahaha lol

I disagree on Mourinho doing better. It is a myth. Mourinho has better players than City today. We just have history names, not current form. Mata, Mikhytarian, Martial, Rojo, Bailey, Pogba, Herrera, Schneiderlin (Who he just sold) are good players who as a team are better than City but Mourinho is not lighting the league up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23pm On Jan 15, 2017
daveP:
lol, tell goodjoe o.

Handwriting on the wall na permanent marker, there's nothing like it will gradually become bold for all to see.

Simply put, The confidence of the MVP of a youth tournament is now waned right under a supposed worl best coach. Let pep learn.

And like I said earlier, when you see Lagos, the welcome signboard says "This is Lagos" and not "welcome to lagos"

Pep,This is the EPL.

Iheanacho did not get services. Not lack of confidence. I wonder how something as simple as that is difficult to see. We are not creating scoring chances. Teams play a cagey system when they play us. We need to sort it out by more clever build-up plays through the wings.

That is not waning in confidence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:24pm On Jan 15, 2017
safarigirl:

(To flight commandant) seekie seekie watch, drop the nukes, I repeat drop the nukes!!!

Safarigirl: Roger Command! Dropping nukes now! ( does so with style)

TheGoodJoe, you can't hide anymore, for now.... grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2017
daveP:

(To flight commandant) seekie seekie watch, drop the nukes, I repeat drop the nukes!!!

Safarigirl: Roger Command! Dropping nukes now! ( does so with style)

TheGoodJoe, you can't hide anymore, for now.... grin

Those are disses, not our main problems. We made lots of transfer errors before Guardiola came. For example, the Mangala deal. Guardiola also met an aging team which is not his fault. We are still playing well.

We beat some top sides with an aging squad. It is so easy to see. With some freshness in the side which will come next season, we will play better.

My disappointment is the youngsters we did not integrate into the team. Players like Alex Garcia, Angelino, Maffeo, Denayer, Manu Garcia and Adarabioyo.

We are paying for those reckless decisions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:38pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho did not get services. Not lack of confidence. I wonder how something as simple as that is difficult to see. We are not creating scoring chances. Teams play a cagey system when they play us. We need to sort it out by more clever build-up plays through the wings.

That is not waning in confidence.
Chai Joe just pause for once now grin

You say you want at least a high level of analytic accuracy on sport issues on here, but you actually fall when it comes to reading btw the lines. You sound like you can do a better job than Pep and it's shocking that you've not taken a coaching badge to start.

No matter what your tactics is, over and over again, there will always, always be some odd tactics that would kill it and stop it. If wing plays were the answers, you think Pep wouldn't have seen it? The same pep you defend in name is the same Pep you use style to criticise by all these constant analysis of How City supposed to play.

The Aguero you see today you keep defending as if he is some kind of Costa. Lemme just stop

Leave this method actually. It does no good.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:44pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Those are disses, not our main problems. We made lots of transfer errors before Guardiola came. For example, the Mangala deal. Guardiola also met an aging team which is not his fault. We are still playing well.

We beat some top sides with an aging squad. It is so easy to see. With some freshness in the side which will come next season, we will play better.

My disappointment is the youngsters we did not integrate into the team. Players like Alex Garcia, Angelino, Maffeo, Denayer, Manu Garcia and Adarabioyo.

We are paying for those reckless decisions.
Lol I can't believe your now an advocate for the boldened. I definitely, I'm quite amused tonight.

January dey now, if he's that desperate, get fresh legs. You amaze me!!! Diss or not
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I disagree on Mourinho doing better. It is a myth. Mourinho has better players than City today. We just have history names, not current form. Mata, Mikhytarian, Martial, Rojo, Bailey, Pogba, Herrera, Schneiderlin (Who he just sold) are good players who as a team are better than City but Mourinho is not lighting the league up.
Apart from Pogba, non of these guys can get into the Man city squad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:49pm On Jan 15, 2017
daveP:
Chai Joe just pause for once now grin

You say you want at least a high level of analytic accuracy on sport issues on here, but you actually fall when it comes to reading btw the lines. You sound like you can do a better job than Pep and it's shocking that you've not taken a coaching badge to start.

No matter what your tactics is, over and over again, there will always, always be some odd tactics that would kill it and stop it. If wing plays were the answers, you think Pep wouldn't have seen it? The same pep you defend in name is the same Pep you use style to criticise by all these constant analysis of How City supposed to play.

The Aguero you see today you keep defending as if he is some kind of Costa. Lemme just stop

Leave this method actually. It does no good.

How can I claim to do a better job than Pep? I have not started. That man is a guru. I wish I can watch one of his tactical sessions.

To the wing play, I agree in tactics having ways to fall for others. But, I am talking of the issues facing City.

With the compact ways team plays against us, the solution is to operate with more width. However, due to the aging full backs, it is difficult to cause damage this way.

That is why I expect us to improve with more freshness in the team and more wing play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:49pm On Jan 15, 2017
goldfish80:

it just amazes me seriously. I don taya.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
goldfish80:

Rojo is better than Stones. Mikhytarian is in a far better level than Silva. Martial and Sterling is a tough one. Baily is a better defender than Kolarov, Herrera is definitely better than Yaya Toure. I will take Mata without thinking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I doubt Adarabioyo can perform as poorly as Stones did today .
Finally you criticize Jon stones. That's a first!
Remember I told you Everton mugged Man city by selling Stones for £50m? The Evertonians must have been laughing all the way to the bank when Sheik made that payment. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:54pm On Jan 15, 2017
daveP:
it just amazes me seriously. I don taya.

Do you honestly think Zabaleta of today can compare to Valencia today? Please, Mourinho has the better team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:56pm On Jan 15, 2017
goldfish80:

Finally you criticize Jon stones. That's a first!
Remember I told you Everton mugged Man city by selling Stones for £50m? The Evertonians must have been laughing all the way to the bank when Sheik made that payment. grin

I wonder how you got that. If you remember the debate, it was about Leon Balogun vs Stones. I said, Leon Balogun is a better defender but when it comes to ball playing, Stones is better than Leon.

That opinion has not changed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) ... (16163) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kentebemoney and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.