Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (590) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11688743 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:21pm On Feb 24, 2017
Stars Times Seals Sponsorship Deal With NNL

[img]https://3.bp..com/-gX7PdX4OgoU/WK-TDJoafOI/AAAAAAAADIw/3BRJ5S3Xv3UoQ_0yIH9jiPFKFD6Xx9aHwCLcB/s1600/nigeria-national-league-nnl-football-nigeria-nff-e1460849961927.jpg[/img]

Akanni Seyi

The Nigeria National League has been given a facelift with a sponsorship deal from Star Times.

The Nigerian second tier which kicks-off in the third week of March look destined to be televised across the continent thanks to the sponsorship package from Star Times. The fast emerging pay as you watch television, sealed a three year deal with the NNL going into the 2017 season.

The China based television company added the Nigerian second tier to a number of top flight leagues they are currently airing including the Ghana Premier league and the Tanzanian league. The opening rounds of matches in the NNL slated for March 17, 2017 will see Adamawa United versus Yobe Desert Stars in the flagship game of the round.

http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/02/stars-times-seals-sponsorship-deal-with.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:34pm On Feb 24, 2017
Since weti,, chaiii no wonder AFRICA never move forward, mak Dem impeach jare, old papa leading African football chaii
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:50pm On Feb 24, 2017
Ejike Uzoenyi Makes Goal Scoring Debut In Bidvest Wits Victory Over Baroka FC

CHAN 2014 Most Valuable Player (MVP) Ejike Uzoenyi gave fans of his new team Bidvest Wits a bit of what to expect of him by scoring on his debut in their 5-0 thrashing of Baroka FC.

After a frustrating a two and half year stay with fellow PSL side Mamelodi Sundowns, he joined Bidvest Wits five days ago on a free transfer after Sundowns agree to let him leave for free.

Uzoenyi was handed his debut against Baroka FC, and the left footed dazzler who made the Nigerian team to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil took his chance in splendid fashion.

The former Enugu Rangers man was introduced in the 78th minute and seven minutes later he increased their lead to 4-0 before Phakamani Mahlambi completed the rout.

Bidvest Wits are now one point clear og Kaizers Chiefs who are second on the table, but they have played two games more than their second placed team.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/22/ejike-uzoenyi-makes-goal-scoring-debut-in-bidvest-wits-victory-over-baroka-fc/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
(See Picture) – Iwobi Is Fine Despite Career Threatening Tackle From Sutton Defender

Arsenal Nigerian forward Alex Iwobi is fine despite the nasty tackle he suffered against Sutton United in the 2-0 win on Monday in the Emirate FA Cup.

The 20 year old caused a stir when he posted a picture of his leg wrapped in bandage on snapchat after the game against Sutton, which was played on a pitch he is not used to.

However the incident that lead to fears over his availability for Arsenal’s next game came in the 33rd minute when he was at the receiving end ofa heavy tackle from a Sutton defender.

An Arsenal source told ESPN that the forward didn’t suffer much damage and should be fit for Arsenal’s game against Liverpool on Saturday the 4th of March 2017.

An update on the extent of the damage he suffered from the horror tackle will be provided by manager Arsene Wenger during his next pre conference.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/22/see-picture-iwobi-is-fine-despite-career-threatening-tackle-from-sutton-defender/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:02pm On Feb 24, 2017
Sevilla Samir Nasri Praises Wilfred Ndidi Second Half Perfromance For Leicester City

On loan Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri who played the entire duration of Sevilla’s 2-1 win over Leicester City has spoken out about the second half performance of Leicester City’s Wilfred Ndidi.

Ndidi like most Leicester City player struggled to cope against Sevilla in the first half of their UEFA Champions League round of 16 first leg tie at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

However a second half display that saw them score a priceless away goal, has kept their hopes of overturning the 1-2 loss when they play the second leg at the King Power Stadium in England.

Nasri who was up against the Ndidi confessed that the intensity which Leicester City played with was down to the hardwork of their winter signing in the midfield.” Leicester City put up a good fight in the second half, they denied us space to play the way we love to.

In the middle Ndidi was particularly quick in covering up spaces and that improved their second half performance”, Nasri said after the game.” We are disappointed to have conceded a goal but we are confident of our chances of progressing after the second leg”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/23/sevilla-samir-nasri-praises-wilfred-ndidi-second-half-perfromance-for-leicester-city/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:06pm On Feb 24, 2017
He’s Only Good On FIFA 17 – Leicester City Fans Criticize Ahmed Musa Poor Showing Against Sevilla

Super Eagles vice captain Ahmed Musa had a game to forget for Leicester City after failing to impress in their 1-2 loss to Sevilla in the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 first leg tie.

Musa was handed the chance to play upfront in a three man attack alongside Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez largely due to the absence of Algerian forward Islam Slimani, who is out injured.

The 23 year old failed to seize the opportunity and was yanked off by Ranieri shortly after the break, after a first half performance that left the coach with no choice than to bring in Demarai Gray in place of him.

After the game, fans of the English champions vent their anger on the Nigerian and his performances so far, with most of them stating how good he is on FIFA 17 but not on the pitch of play.

The comments were made after under a post by Squawkwa, a statistic base outfit which outlined how poor the Leicester City second most expensive player performed in the first half.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/23/hes-only-good-on-fifa-17-leicester-city-fans-criticize-ahmed-musa-poor-showing-against-sevilla/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:11pm On Feb 24, 2017
Agent: FC Porto Will Jump At The Chance To Sign Man City Iheanacho, They Still Want Him

Out of favour Manchester City Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho is very much in the minds of Portuguese giants FC Porto, Owngoalnigeria.com can reveal.

Iheanacho turned down a move to the Portuguese side in favour of a move to Manchester City, a move which hasn’t worked well since the turn of the year under new coach Pep Guardiola.

The Nigerian has failed to play in the last seven games of the club, which has lead to suggestions of a possible move away from the club in the summer, if he nothing changes from now till then.

Expectedly, the talented 20 year old won’t be short of suitors if he eventually decides to leave in the summer, and FC Porto are reportedly one of the team who will try to get the Nigeria international.”

FC Porto will gladly jump to the idea of signing Iheanacho from Manchester City, that am so sure of. They still want him but he has to be available before a move can be made official”, An intermediary close to FC Porto told Owngoalnigeria.com.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/23/agent-fc-porto-will-jump-at-the-chance-to-sign-man-city-iheanacho-they-still-want-him/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 1:13pm On Feb 24, 2017
My worry now is "who will strike for us"....
Iheanacho?(no playing time in man C)
Success?(injury prone)
Aaron Samuel?(I don't know his abilities now due to the surgical operation )
Ideye or Ighalo(China.,...moreover I don't trust them )

So who??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:14pm On Feb 24, 2017
Man Of The Match Musa Yahaya Stars For Porto To Knock Man United Out Of Premier League International Cup

Manchester United U23s crashed out of the Premier League International Cup by losing 0-2 to their FC Porto counterparts in the quarter-finals.

Panama forward Isamel Diaz scored both goals for the Portuguese side to seal their passage to the semi-finals but the star man, who orchestrated the demolition of the young Red Devils was Nigerian forward Musa Yahaya.

Yahaya started and lasted the entire duration of the game, and was quite a handful for the back line of Manchester United, with his mazy runs and slick dribbles.

Played out wide on the left, the 19 year old who joined the team from Portimonense in the summer, showed why he is so highly rated by going past his markers with ease, and twice came close to scoring.

His display earned him accolades from the coach of the Porto B team and teammates, with most including journalist agreeing that he deserve the Man of the Match award ahead of Ismail Diaz, who scored both goals.

He will be hoping to continue his fine form when they take on the winner between Norwich and Dinamo Zagreb B team scheduled for the 27th ofFebruary.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/23/man-of-the-match-musa-yahaya-stars-for-porto-to-knock-man-united-out-of-premier-league-international-cup/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:18pm On Feb 24, 2017
Rohr Denies Reports Of Set Limit For Invitation Of Super Eagles Players In China

Head coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has denied reports he has set a limit to the number of players to be invited from the Chinese League.

Rohr made the denial in a series of numbered posts on the official twitter handle of the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Coach Rohr My attention has been drawn to a story quoting me as setting a limit on number of players to be invited from the Chinese League. I do not know where this statement credited to me came from. I have had a very good and cordial relationship with the media.

I know the media are very important partners of our football development and have a huge role to play in our success as a team.

It’s not good for me to get use to seeing stories credited to me that I do not know anything about or read words I never said.

I therefore implore our media friends to be more professional in this regard so we can together get Nigeria football to the top.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/23/rohr-denies-reports-of-set-limit-for-invitation-of-super-eagles-players-in-china/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:21pm On Feb 24, 2017
Moses Simon Scores, Esiti Shines As Gent Knock Spurs Of Europa League

English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur have been knocked out of the Europa League by Belgian side Gent after a 2-2 draw which saw them lose 2-3 on aggregate.

Spurs trailing 1-0 from the first leg took a 10 minute lead through Christian Eriksen but were pegged back moment later when what appears like a header that came off Harry Kane level matters for the Belgians.

Given as an own goal, Nigerian forward Moses Simon whose presence forced Kane into the unfortunate header peeled away claiming the goal, few minutes before Dele Alli was sent off.

10 man Spurs regained their lead with another goal in the second half courtesy of Victor Wanyama, but their joy was short lived when substitute Perbet, who replaced Simon scored a second for the Belgians.

The 2-2 draw was enough to seal qualification for the Belgian, who also had Nigerian midfielderAnderson Esiti on for the entire duration of the game which was played at the magnificent Wembley stadium.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/23/moses-simon-scores-esiti-shines-as-gent-knock-spurs-of-europa-league/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:29pm On Feb 24, 2017
( See Chat) – Moses Simon Speaks On Disputed Goal For Gent Against Spurs

Super Eagles and Gent forward Moses Simon says he is sure he got the last touch for his team first goal, which has been credited as an own goal in their 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur in the Europa League.

The goal which helped Gent draw level after going behind has been credited as an own goal scored by Spurs forward Harry Kane, but Moses told popular Kaduna journalist Mowiz Mohammed Suleiman that he had the last touch.

Mowiz sent a copy of his chat with the Super Eagles forward to the online editor of Owngoalnigeria.com to clear the air regarding the goal.

Initially Simon said he can’t really tell whose head the ball came off last, before finally saying he is convinced he touched the ball and not the head of the Spurs captain.

See Chat below.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/24/see-chat-moses-simon-speaks-on-disputed-goal-for-gent-against-spurs/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:32pm On Feb 24, 2017
bossto:

Success?(injury prone)

So who??

We have Ahmed Musa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:35pm On Feb 24, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

We have Ahmed Musa

At the moment, I think Simon Moses is ahead of Musa. Musa is not in great form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:38pm On Feb 24, 2017
Ex Barcelona, Arsenal Star Song Sing Praises Of Little Known Nigerian Midfielder After Display Against Rubin Kazan

Former Barcelona and Arsenal star midfielder Alex Song has praised the performance of little known Nigerian midfielder Kingsley Ndidi Olie in Rubin Kazan’s 1-0 win over Mjondalen.

Ahead of the start of the Russian league, Rubin Kazan, where Alex Song plays took on Norway’s second division side Mjondalen in a friendly tie meant to prepare both teams for stiffer challenge.

Song was up against the Nigerian and despite ending up on the winning side, the Cameroon star appreciated the performance of the 22 year old Olie, who only moved to the Norwegian side last year.

Olie was later called for a snap shot with Song, who advised him to focus on his career and make the best use of his potential, which will help him secure a move to a top club.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/24/ex-barcelona-arsenal-star-song-sing-praises-of-little-known-nigerian-midfielder-after-display-against-rubin-kazan/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2017
tbaba1234:

Can Moses Simon play the Central Forward role more than Ahmed Musa?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 2:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

We have Ahmed Musa
A winger??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 2:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

We have Ahmed Musa
A winger??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 2:50pm On Feb 24, 2017
tbaba1234:

both of them are not in great form

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:53pm On Feb 24, 2017
tbaba1234:
Spurs got beaten by a team that is 7th in the Belgian League. Komekn. I told you that the league is good.

Plymouth Argyle took Liverpool to the wire, Wolves beat Liverpool and Sutton United beat Leeds United. It's football however, it doesn't place them on par with Liverpool or thier league on par with the EPL.

It means there is still some level of quality and don't forget Dele was sent off and thier Manager said they didn’t deserve to win.

I have never said Belgium 1st division league is bad. It's just not on the same level or with the same quality as the EPL after all where did Benteke, Lukaku, Origi, Sane, Hazard, Kompany etc. come from.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 2:54pm On Feb 24, 2017
bossto:
A winger??
musa can play the centre forward role too but i will not choose him cos i am not impressed with his form
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:09pm On Feb 24, 2017
bossto:
Success?(injury prone)

So who??
henry onyekuru
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:09pm On Feb 24, 2017
bossto:
Success?(injury prone)

So who??
henry onyekuru
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 3:25pm On Feb 24, 2017
enomakos:
musa can play the centre forward role too but i will not choose him cos i am not impressed with his form
Ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:33pm On Feb 24, 2017
Orkpekyandega:
Pinnick Discards Hayatou’s CAF Presidential Re-Election

[img]https://2.bp..com/-PVNRZ-JQz5A/WE5VUJxwNyI/AAAAAAAACRw/IGLH01XTvkAxQr2ph_PhClVWGzi6WwdXwCPcB/s1600/Amaju-Pinnick-2.jpg[/img]

President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick has called for a change of power ahead of this year’s Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) Presidential election.

Cameroonian’s Issa Hayatou is the current CAF President and has been on the seat since 1988. However, he faces a tough challenge from, Ahmad Ahmad, who is the head of Madagascar’sFA.

NFF president Amaju Pinnick told the BBC the election will be “a defining moment for African football”.He said Ahmad was “courageous” in coming forward to challenge Mr. Hayatou.

Pinnick said CAF needs a “new generation” of leadership, following the change at the top of the world governing body FIFA.

http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/02/pinnick-discards-hayatous-caf_24.html
caf need a change but with this kinds of challenger hayatou gonna win again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:35pm On Feb 24, 2017
maidaboi:
henry onyekuru
let watch him play in a friendly first
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:40pm On Feb 24, 2017
enomakos:
both of them are not in great form

Both of them are a disappointment, with regards to Simon Moses he is only 21 and has a lot of time to improve. However, 71 games for Gent has produced only13 goals, that is not the kind of pedigree that is needed for the Green Eagles.

With regards to leading the line he is not built for that, he only 5'6" simply too short. Musa for me is not imposing enough yes fast but we need much much more he cannot bully the defence if things get tough.

If Victor Anichebe is well and fit he beats all of them particularly against a very robust and physically domineering Cameroon side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2017
komekn:

Plymouth Argyle took Liverpool to the wire, Wolves beat Liverpool and Sutton United beat Leeds United. It's football however, it doesn't place them on par with Liverpool or thier league on par with the EPL.

It means there is still some level of quality and don't forget Dele was sent off and thier Manager said they didn’t deserve to win.

I have never said Belgium 1st division league is bad. It's just not on the same level or with the same quality as the EPL after all where did Benteke, Lukaku, Origi, Sane, Hazard, Kompany etc. come from.

Well, it is certainly better than the championship.

Genk was top in a group containing Athletic Bilbao (Spain), Rapid Wien (Austria) and Sassuolo (Italy). I do not think many championship teams would have made it out of the group.

Gent finished above Braga in their group.

Given the performances of Premier League clubs in Europe, i feel like there has been a drop in standard.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 4:06pm On Feb 24, 2017
komekn:

Both of them are a disappointment, with regards to Simon Moses he is only 21 and has a lot of time to improve. However, 71 games for Gent has produced only13 goals, that is not the kind of pedigree that is needed for the Green Eagles.

With regards to leading the line he is not built for that, he only 5'6" simply too short. Musa for me is not imposing enough yes fast but we need much much more he cannot bully the defence if things get tough.

If Victor Anichebe is well and fit he beats all of them particularly against a very robust and physically domineering Cameroon side.
i agreed with you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:11pm On Feb 24, 2017
bossto:
A winger??

The guy can play the CF role as well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

The guy can play the CF role as well
OK.....good to know!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.