Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11642938 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (16144) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:21pm On Sep 29, 2016
Mickael2:

you are using a written formation to judge? Well Messi is registered as a LWF for Barca but where do you see him most of the time? You have to watch this games to understand that Sanchez is the member of the pair who drops to midfield to collect passes straight from the midfielders and feed to Vargas, I wil recommend the Brazil vs Chile game at the world cup and also the Chile vs Argentina games at the two previous Copas, watch them and check Sanchez's position. Sanchez is the SS there, but at arsenal he is the lone CF, that's two extremely different positions and thats the GoodJoe's point, he is adjusting to it
I can't believe you're still arguing this. If you know how to read a formation properly you will see clearly that he's akone forward in this formation. And this was gotten from the FIFA 2014 world cup archive.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
Mickael2:

I even forgot Elneny ooo, wow! That means a quality backup for every single position. The future is brightcheesy

I hope we get it right. I mean City. We have some brilliant creative players like De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogan and Sane. My fear is the DMF. It seems we are over working Fernandinho. I am not sure if Fernando can perform close to that level.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
safarigirl:
Iwobi wouldn't make City's first 11 either. That is also a fact.

So before we all jump on the Iwobi is better than Kelechi bandwagon, let us remember who they have to bench.

Iwobi is benching Ox, Kelechi will have to bench Aguero, hardly the same class of players,.

Why are we even having this argument? Pitting brothers against each other...mtchew, please let's leave Iwobi and focus on the Kelechi vs Rashford arguments. Who's that person that said Iwobi will win CAF APOTY before Kelechi? Na you start this rubbish argument.

The thing is the two clubs don't play same way. Iwobi is a product of Arsenger's philosophy of play. Iwobi may not easily fit into Pep's city stlye.

Just like Alexis, Carzola and Ramsey will find it difficult playing under Mourinho due to the way they freely express their playing skills.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:26pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

I can't believe you're still arguing this. If you know how to read a formation properly you will see clearly that he's akone forward in this formation. And this was gotten from the FIFA 2014 world cup archive.

That is not a 3-5-2 formation. Mickael2 talked about the 3-5-2 set up with two strikers. When you see Sanchez play up front, know there is a challenge up front. Like an injured striker or a case of the striker not performing.

He is not a Natural striker. He can play up front.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:28pm On Sep 29, 2016
forgiveness:
Comparing Sanchez to Iheanacho is preposterous.

Sanchez no be small pikin 4 this business. Someone who has... Abeg! abeg! Make we find something better talk. Iheanacho has not achieved anything yet as a professional footballer.

Let us leave the lad before dem begin envy am, biko.
Is Sanches Ronaldo or Messi as he claims,that Iheanacho cannot b compared to him.
Whatever Sanches have achieved in the game,Nacho will overtake him in 4 years time

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:34pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I hope we get it right. I mean City. We have some brilliant creative players like De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogan and Sane. My fear is the DMF. It seems we are over working Fernandinho. I am not sure if Fernando can perform close to that level.

where is Yaya toure? I mean is it really that sour between him and Pep?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:36pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That is not a 3-5-2 formation. Mickael2 talked about the 3-5-2 set up with two strikers. When you see Sanchez play up front, know there is a challenge up front. Like an injured striker or a case of the striker not performing.

Exactly! I don't know how hard it is to understand sha. He plays as a lone striker for Arsenal now, that requires you being a natural striker which he isn't, he normally plays with someone else upfront and that makes him better because there he can create chances for other people. I won't explain it to them again

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:40pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Sanchez is a recognised striker for his country who he has represented 100times. Durring the Olympics, you were creaming yourself how well Mikel played. You argued and almost torn apart Forgiveness who believed Mikel is not an attacking midfielder but when the tables turn, you change the argument to suit your idea because just like Mikel, Alexis plays a different role for his club and another for his country.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:42pm On Sep 29, 2016
Mickael2:

where is Yaya toure? I mean is it really that sour between him and Pep?

It is over. Yaya will leave January. Guardiola said he would play Yaya if his agent apologises for his controversial statements against the club and manager. The agent refused and continued making such statements.

He would not apologise. He is Yaya's godfather and Yaya can not sack him. So Yaya has to go. Sad end to the City hero's career.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:45pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

Sanchez is a recognised striker for his country who he has represented 100times. Durring the Olympics, you were creaming yourself how well Mikel played. You argued and almost torn apart Forgiveness who believed Mikel is not an attacking midfielder but when the tables turn, you change the argument to suit your idea because just like Mikel, Alexis plays a different role for his club and another for his country.

No one said he is not recognised. He is. I believe five to ten games into this season with Sanchez playing as a central forward, he will excel. I felt Sanchez challenge was not having a regular run upfront. At Udinese, Di Natale had a serious injury and Sanchez played until he picked up.

I am talking of where he naturally plays and where Wenger would prefer to play him. Sanchez natural role is not as a top man but he can play it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 8:51pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

Lol!!! Kelechi is even better than Messi and C.Ronaldo if someone used conversion rate stat to assert that Kelechi is better than Giroud, so who is Sanchez?... Sanchez that 'bested' messi in Copa America and they brought Stat to hype kelechi over my FUTURE Arsenal Legend "Sanchez"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:51pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

Wait, what did you say about me and Mikel? You are totally wrong here. I do not even understand what you are writing here. Me change position on Mikel.

I put it to you that you are lying.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:57pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

Let me save you the stress and help you not to make mistake on this again.

The Mikel debate I remember was between me and Sir Icon4s. I said, I do not trust Azubuike to shield our defence and would prefer an experienced Mikel to do that for the team.

Before the competition and during the competition, we shipped in goals. I believe we could cope creatively with Mikel focusing on shielding the defence.

I never and would never doubt Mikel's quality. I am one of the few who believes Mikel is one of the greatest players of the game. Unfortunately, Mikel never played long with a team that plays possessive football. Teams like Arsenal, Man City, Ajax, Barcelona etc.

Ability wise, I am blown away by his ability. From when I saw him in 2003 U17, I believed he was a creative genius.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:07pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

comment by everestmindz (U9456077)
posted Nov 16, 2010

Always United (U6609298)

I agree with you here. It is clear Chelsea lacks a creative midfielder with the intelligence to crack a tough midfield.

Mikel during the WYC in 2005 even looked better than Fabregas in that tournament and was only beaten by Messi (Messi is a class act). Mikel looked like a young Zidane then. I really hope Carlo gives Mikel a chance there.

By the way Ferguson should give Anderson a chance as a left wing forward. Just like the way Ronaldhino operates and leave Park out. I can't imagine Park keeping Ando on the bench.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F19428026?thread=7883863&show=50

I used to go as everestmindz in bbc forum before they shut it down. That is one of my comments in 2010.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:11pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

On that same thread, someone said,

Mikel is not a playmaker.Xavi and Paul Scholes are playmakers.
-----------------------------------------------
I replied.

Do you think when Manchester United and Chelsea were battling for Mikel, they were battling for a defensive Midfielder. <doh>

Mikel might even be better than the above names, if he is allowed to play in his preferred position.

I watched Xavi Hernandez in the World Youth Championship in Nigeria '99. Which was in my country. Ronaldhino and Xavi played in my City Port-Harcourt (Funny both played together in Barca and won the Champions League). So I watched Xavi closely and he was brilliant. I tell you Xavi didn't show the kind of Talent Mikel showed in 2005. <doh>
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:13pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

Mikel showed what I meant in the Nigeria vs Spain in the confederation Cup game. As he played, I told my elder brother, at least for once, let the world see how good Mikel is.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:40pm On Sep 29, 2016
safarigirl:
Iwobi wouldn't make City's first 11 either. That is also a fact.

So before we all jump on the Iwobi is better than Kelechi bandwagon, let us remember who they have to bench.

Iwobi is benching Ox, Kelechi will have to bench Aguero, hardly the same class of players,.

Why are we even having this argument? Pitting brothers against each other...mtchew, please let's leave Iwobi and focus on the Kelechi vs Rashford arguments. Who's that person that said Iwobi will win CAF APOTY before Kelechi? Na you start this rubbish argument.

Looool where did I say Iwobi would get into city's first 11?? Are you mistaking me for someone else??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:41pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I replied.

Do you think when Manchester United and Chelsea were battling for Mikel, they were battling for a defensive Midfielder. <doh>

Mikel might even be better than the above names, if he is allowed to play in his preferred position.

I watched Xavi Hernandez in the World Youth Championship in Nigeria '99. Which was in my country. Ronaldhino and Xavi played in my City Port-Harcourt (Funny both played together in Barca and won the Champions League). So I watched Xavi closely and he was brilliant. I tell you Xavi didn't show the kind of Talent Mikel showed in 2005. <doh>
You seem to misinterprete me. I pointed out that you told someone that Mikel is an attacking midfielder and the best in that role and must not be dropped. I believe you were referring to forgiveness because he listed his favoured team list and omitted Mikel.
My point is that if you belive mikel is an attacking midfielder, then you shouldnt have much problems seeing Sanchez as a striker because both interpret different roles for their clubs and country. That's my point
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:43pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not see the fact here. The same Giroud and Perez that Wenger chose to convert Sanchez to help the toothless attack.
Alexis has played as a CF in barca a couple of times and also plays as a striker for chile.
Lucas Perez scored 17 and assisted 10 in a relegation threatened Deportivo side. Iheanacho might end up surpassing both (most likely will), but at this moment, he isn't better than Giroud and Perez. Come on!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:43pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I replied.

Xavi was a late bloomer. At his early stage he was just an average player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:54pm On Sep 29, 2016
edi287:

Alexis has played as a CF in barca a couple of times and also plays as a striker for chile.
Lucas Perez scored 17 and assisted 10 in a relegation threatened Deportivo side. Iheanacho might end up surpassing both (most likely will), but at this moment, he isn't better than Giroud and Perez. Come on!
A lot of people underrate Giroud because he's not a fancy player but I tell you what, that guy has been top scorer in the French league before he came to England. He infact guided a modest and an unfancied Montpellier to win the French league against more traditional teams like Psg, marseille, Lyon etc... At the national team level, he has scored 20+ goals in 57games and most of them as a substitute.
Truth is that Kelechi is good, no doubt but to say he is better than ever international striker at arsenal is not being realistic atall. Kelechi is just starting out, he may surpass the achievement of all the Arsenal strikers put together including Henry. But he has not done that yet. This is just his second year as a pro.
We should be careful how we hype him, otherwise, he may never fulfil his potential because he may start thinking he has arrived which may be his downfall. Let's not fall into the hype-machine that is the English media and allow our players grow quietly.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:02pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

Xavi was a late bloomer. At his early stage he was just an average player.

I disagree. Xavi was not a late bloomer. Started playing for Barcelona in the late nineties as a teen. It falls to playing him to the best of his abilities.

It takes a brilliant player at a young age to make the starting line-up of Barcelona.

Note, I said Xavi was brilliant. He was the third best player in Nigeria '99 behind Ikedia and Seydou Keita.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:09pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I disagree. Xavi was not a late bloomer. Started playing for Barcelona in the late nineties as a teen. It falls to playing him to the best of his abilities.

It takes a brilliant player at a young age to make the starting line-up of Barcelona.

Note, I said Xavi was brilliant. He was the third best player in Nigeria '99 behind Ikedia and Seydou Keita.
As a late bloomer I meant he didn't really start out as an infant sensation like Saviola, Bojan, Messi, Dos Santos etc.. He quietly rose through the ranks and hit the limelight in his mid 20's
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:11pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

You seem to misinterprete me. I pointed out that you told someone that Mikel is an attacking midfielder and the best in that role and must not be dropped. I believe you were referring to forgiveness because he listed his favoured team list and omitted Mikel.
My point is that if you belive mikel is an attacking midfielder, then you shouldnt have much problems seeing Sanchez as a striker because both interpret different roles for their clubs and country. That's my point

Sanchez is a forward and he can play upfront. Striking is not his natural role.

When Di Natale was fit, he always was the top striker. At Barcelona, they did not buy Sanchez as a top striker. Arsene Wenger bought Lucas Perez, Giroud to play as top strikers. Naturally, Arsene Wenger will not play Sanchez there. Arsene Wenger wanted to buy a top striker. He wanted Vardy.

Arsene Wenger converted Sanchez to play there because he does not have the fire power he wants up front.

You can say he can play that role. You can not say Alexis Sanchez is the striker you wanted Arsene Wenger to sign to play up front.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

As a late bloomer I meant he didn't really start out as an infant sensation like Saviola, Bojan, Messi, Dos Santos etc.. He quietly rose through the ranks and hit the limelight in his mid 20's

He was an infant sensation. In the WYC, he was a teenager and one of the best players in the competition. I think he was still a teen in the Sidney 2000 Olympics.

If I remember right, Xavi was one of the players who was selected in 1998 to play against Nigeria. In the Catalonia vs Nigeria that they won us 5-0. He was always a prolific star.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:18pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

A lot of people underrate Giroud because he's not a fancy player but I tell you what, that guy has been top scorer in the French league before he came to England. He infact guided a modest and an unfancied Montpellier to win the French league against more traditional teams like Psg, marseille, Lyon etc... At the national team level, he has scored 20+ goals in 57games and most of them as a substitute.
Truth is that Kelechi is good, no doubt but to say he is better than ever international striker at arsenal is not being realistic atall. Kelechi is just starting out, he may surpass the achievement of all the Arsenal strikers put together including Henry. But he has not done that yet. This is just his second year as a pro.
We should be careful how we hype him, otherwise, he may never fulfil his potential because he may start thinking he has arrived which may be his downfall. Let's not fall into the hype-machine that is the English media and allow our players grow quietly.

We are not hyping Iheanacho and he will fulfill his potentials. Iheanacho is already Manchester City's second striker behind Aguero. That alone says it all, when you consider the spending power of Manchester City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:38pm On Sep 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

He was an infant sensation. In the WYC, he was a teenager and one of the best players in the competition. I think he was still a teen in the Sidney 2000 Olympics.

If I remember right, Xavi was one of the players who was selected in 1998 to play against Nigeria. In the Catalonia vs Nigeria that they won us 5-0. He was always a prolific star.

Common the team that face catalona in 98 included.. Jero Shakpoke, Duke Udi, Sanni Abacha, etc.. The only established players was Adepoju and grab lawal.

That is not enough to say Xavi was a infant sensation. Xavi played in Nigeria 99. He was not amongst the best players in the competition even though spain won.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:44pm On Sep 29, 2016
Mickael2:

He didn't say he will bench Sanchez, he just said he will alter the formation. De Bruyne is not benching Silva at Man city, the coach just altered the formation to accommodate the two of them which is what will happen with Nacho and Sanchez, thats the point

How will he alter the formation wey Wenger don dey build for Donkey years just to accommodate one player?

Maybe you mean he will alter the starting line-up. Now, for who to sidon for Iheanacho?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:51pm On Sep 29, 2016
Napoleon55:

Is Sanches Ronaldo or Messi as he claims,that Iheanacho cannot b compared to him.
Whatever Sanches have achieved in the game,Nacho will overtake him in 4 years time

Something must be at the front before something overtake something. grin

Thank God you have admitted yourself that Iheanacho dey for far far behind Sanchez and it will take him 4 years.. 4 years to reach am. grin fact
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2016
tbaba1234:

Common the team that face catalona in 98 included.. Jero Shakpoke, Duke Udi, Sanni Abacha, etc.. The only established players was Adepoju and grab lawal.

That is not enough to say Xavi was a infant sensation. Xavi played in Nigeria 99. He was not amongst the best players in the competition even though spain won.

If you feel the player who was the third best player in a World Youth Championship was not a teen sensation, I wonder what a teen sensation is. When you take the fact that Ronaldinho, Forlan, Takahara, Robbie Keane, Seydou Keita were in that tournament. How can you say Xavi who started playing for Barcelona in 1998 at 18 years was not a teen sensation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:54pm On Sep 29, 2016
goldfish80:

Me? When did I discuss 'Mikel is not an attacking midfielder'? Abeg remind me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2016
tbaba1234:

Is there any way in 1998 you will list the top teenage players that Xavi will not make the list? Talkless of 1999.

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (16144) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Friday03 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.