Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,467 members, 7,850,618 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (954) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11866346 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) (956) (957) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:21pm On May 20, 2017
Icon4s:

I personally do not rate Zambia that highly.
Teams from that sub-region typically fall short when it gets to this stage.

The West African representatives are where my money is.

U are not a fan of Fashionable Sakala?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:43pm On May 20, 2017
Ah jst dey observe my ghost method dey learn sharply,

Good to see DGUDJOE peeping in, and SIR FORGIVENESS coming out of sambisa,
gud to have dem back, temporary if I might say

#GHOSTMETHOD

#RE-ACTIVATED

#LEARNINGCONTINUE

#SHALOM............

least forget,
congrats to our one and only madam of the thread on her birthday, sas my gospel star always said its never too late,

congrats on ur birthday, madam SAFARIGIRL age with grace, continue to be enriched with wisdom, with joy unspeakable, beautifying as you gooooo.....
hapi birthday dear WULLNP

#BACK2GM...LEARNINGKWETINUE......AYAKATA......
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:13pm On May 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

This is not what I meant.

The club has changed coaches. So I suggested that the new coach might be helping his confidence based on how he praised him. Confidence is the key difference for Awoniyi at the moment.

Coaches train players on the training pitch. If you feel the coach had an input in Awo improving, then he did things right on the training pitch. Keep in mind, the coach spends most times with the players on the training pitch. So most impact come from there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:13pm On May 20, 2017
Onuachu with 2 goals.. 22 for the season..

Goal race getting interesting..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:16pm On May 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Coaches train players on the training pitch. If you feel the coach had an input in Awo improving, then he did things right on the training pitch. Keep in mind, the coach spends most times with the players on the training pitch. So most impact come from there.

Awoniyi was terrible a few weeks ago. He gets a goal and starts playing better. He would never have scored his last goal 3 weeks ago.

I am talking of what appears to be a boost in his confidence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:22pm On May 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U are not a fan of Fashionable Sakala?

Which fashionable sakala?

At this stage of the game talent plays a major role in how teams perform. Players from that region are not much gifted talent-wise.

Good Preparations matter and when talent meets with good team preparation an excellent team is produced. but when one is lacking.... hardly anything can be achieved.

Look at the Guinea team that just lost 3-0 to Korea Republic. Technically gifted individuals. But the cohesion was no just there. Evidence of lack of good preparation.

I know teams like South Africa and Zambia would have prepared well but because they are not much blessed with talent that will hamper their performances.

Africa would miss the likes of Nigeria, Ghana and Mali in this tournament. These are the only 3 countries in Africa that have what it takes to make bold statements at this stage.

Senegal of recent are gunning to join the trio. I think they have realized the essence of having good youth teams. This there rise just started 5-6 years ago.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:26pm On May 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

Awoniyi was terrible a few weeks ago. He gets a goal and starts playing better. He would never have scored his last goal 3 weeks ago.

I am talking of what appears to be a boost in his confidence.

It takes time to get it right. It is just like learning a maths sum. Sometimes it takes time to understand and when you do, it becomes easy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:34pm On May 20, 2017
Icon4s:

And you also do not know the amount of hours the previous coach put into 'drilling' of Awoniyi.

See, many factors are responsible for players' performances.

Top amongst them is a coache's philosophy and tactics.

You heard Awoniyi himself the other day say the team now players to his strength. That is one of the manifestations of a new coache's philosophy/tactics. Awoniyi I know is good with areal and long balls. The second goal he scored was from an areal battle.

Second could be as a result of the confidence from getting that first goal.
Also the coach as a result will now have more confidence in him and offer more playing time which in turn increases his chances of getting more goals.

Thirdly, it happens that way in football. A player just starts or stops scoring. It may or may not come with a new coach. In a good number of cases, nothing changes but the player just starts or stops scoring.

Pretty OK for him even as the goals came late in the season. It Means he has staged a claim for a place in the team for next season.

If you hinge more on Awo pointing out that the team now plays to his strength, that lies on the coach. It takes a coach to adjust a team to play a particular way. Also, there is no guarantee that Awo's goal challenges are behind him. That is why continuous work is necessary both ways. From the team and the player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:36pm On May 20, 2017
My brother I once said here, I wont blame anyone who refuse to play for Nigeria.
Anyone who turns down Nigeria i'm sure have good reasons. But at the same time I remain patriotic even though there is no logic in it. I will be deceiving myself to adopt another country. The truth is our heroes don't have much to be proud of. I'm sure many players talents wasted away or were at least not given a fair chance. Not saying those who were given did not deserve it. We do not have a transparent system to give the best a chance because of our very sentimental mentality.

However, we cannot keep settling for players that choose Nigeria as a fall back option.

tbaba1234:
” I was told of the interest from Nigeria by my father but as someone who has played for Nigeria in the past, he advised me to focus on progressing through the ranks with Germany instead of considering a switch to Nigeria “,

Jordan Torunarigha 

Imagine an ex international telling his kid not to play for Nigeria. It is usually the other way round. If Jordan does not play for Germany by age 25, the tone will change. I think, he has the talent to go far though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:43pm On May 20, 2017
One thing for sure is Awo enjoyed regular game time even before he started scoring. The coaches did not throw him on the pitch for nothing. He must have showed great potential in training. It happens to even the best strikers sometimes -- goals drought. Let's take it that it's beginning to click again for Awo. But sometimes it takes someone's advice or some tweaking in the team tactics to get things going the way of the player. Let's not give the new coach all the credits just because Awo is 19.

TheGoodJoe:

If you hinge more on Awo pointing out that the team now plays to his strength, that lies on the coach. It takes a coach to adjust a team to play a particular way. Also, there is no guarantee that Awo's goal challenges are behind him. That is why continuous work is necessary both ways. From the team and the player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:45pm On May 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

That is the point I am making.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:54pm On May 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

It takes time to get it right. It is just like learning a maths sum. Sometimes it takes time to understand and when you do, it becomes easy.

Don't compare football with mathematics o.

In maths once you understand the formula and perfect on solving the problem you will always get it right. But in football, you can understand the whole formula the coaches throw at you and you apply all the variables in the equation but you'll still not get the desired result.

A player like Fernando Torres got the formula right and was getting results at Liverpool only for him to turn "olodo rabata" at Chelsea. Same happened to Quadrado.

Football is football, maths is maths.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:01pm On May 20, 2017
Wolfsburg lead Hamburger 1-0 away. Osimhen in bench

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:04pm On May 20, 2017
Balogun starts for Mainz away to Koln. But makes an early exit in the 15 minutes due to injury. Let's hope its not a serious one

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:04pm On May 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Good job to the coach but like he said we all knew Awoniyi was class from the start. Some of us just forget things a little too fast.

I do not think it is a case of forgetting because many knew of Awo's quality. His unsteadiness in front of goal has been the challenge. He does most things right but his final touch lets him down.

I hoped Awoniyi works under a coach who has the ideas to polish off that finishing aspect. I hope this coach has the solution to it. If he does, then Nigeria will have a gem in Awo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:07pm On May 20, 2017
Icon4s:

Don't compare football with mathematics o.

In maths once you understand the formula and perfect on solving the problem you will always get it right. But in football, you can understand the whole formula the coaches throw at you and you apply all the variables in the equation but you'll still not get the desired result.

A player like Fernando Torres got the formula right and was getting results at Liverpool only for him to turn "olodo rabata" at Chelsea. Same happened to Quadrado.

Football is football, maths is maths.

I did not compare football to maths but used it as an analogy to explain the concept. In the case of Torres, it is like a constraint applied to a system in equilibrium. For instance, defenders understanding the way he runs or favored shooting positions.

That is why a footballer must keep working hard to stay ahead of the competition.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:09pm On May 20, 2017
Joebie:
One thing for sure is Awo enjoyed regular game time even before he started scoring. The coaches did not throw him on the pitch for nothing. He must have showed great potential in training. It happens to even the best strikers sometimes -- goals drought. Let's take it that it's beginning to click again for Awo. But sometimes it takes someone's advice or some tweaking in the team tactics to get things going the way of the player. Let's not give the new coach all the credits just because Awo is 19.

I do not think the new coach gets all the credits but he deserves some.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:14pm On May 20, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
Super Eagles Under 20 screening match ....... proudly sponsored by England grin grin

You be real Niger delta boy. Your apt witticism made me laugh

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:15pm On May 20, 2017
Humility017:

sir welcome back.

on your response:
what's wrong wit inviting the lad for camping prior the world cup...I doubt if city would have refuse him
it is something we can understand he left camp to sign for man city and few months after camping for the world cup commenced
so what stop him for inviting the lad or aluko?
what stop keshi from inviting imoh Ezekiel in place of Uchebo?
the former had 12 goals that same season... amidst his club winning the Belgian league... uchebo could only manage 5 goals. ...Ideye was even better then

There are other variables when it concerns other players but they do not create the same scenario for every player.

Let us keep the spotlight on Nacho. I still believe City was wrong pulling Nacho out of camp. They were too eager for him. I remember reading Keshi offering them the option of signing a post dated contract that kicks off after the CHAN but the agents refused.

I think Nacho left two weeks to the start of the tournament and we can not blame Keshi for not giving the young man another chance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:22pm On May 20, 2017
Sure, when any player starts scoring after a long spell, some credits should be given to the coach.

TheGoodJoe:

I do not think the new coach gets all the credits but he deserves some.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:22pm On May 20, 2017
Icon4s:

At this stage of the game talent plays a major role in how teams perform. Players from that region are not much gifted talent-wise.

Good Preparations matter and when talent meets with good team preparation an excellent team is produced. but when one is lacking.... hardly anything can be achieved.

Look at the Guinea team that just lost 3-0 to Korea Republic. Technically gifted individuals. But the cohesion was no just there. Evidence of lack of good preparation.

I teams like South Africa and Zambia would have prepared well but because they are not much blessed with talent that will hamper their performances.

Africa would miss the likes of Nigeria, Ghana and Mali in this tournament. These are the only 3 countries in Africa that have what it takes to make bold statements at this stage.

Senegal of recent are gunning to join the trio. I think they have realized the essence of having good youth teams. This there rise just started 5-6 years ago.

All u can do is beat who is in front of you, Zambia could not make Nigeria and Ghana play in the ayc. They were above and beyond the best team in that tournament, very exciting watch. U forget about Zambia in the early 90's and even 2012. Zambia is a very rich country when it comes to football talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:24pm On May 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I do not think it is a case of forgetting because many knew of Awo's quality. His unsteadiness in front of goal has been the challenge. He does most things right but his final touch lets him down.

I hoped Awoniyi works under a coach who has the ideas to polish off that finishing aspect. I hope this coach has the solution to it. If he does, then Nigeria will have a gem in Awo.

U basically called him trash a couple weeks ago, now u are covering ur tracks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:26pm On May 20, 2017
tbaba1234:
” I was told of the interest from Nigeria by my father but as someone who has played for Nigeria in the past, he advised me to focus on progressing through the ranks with Germany instead of considering a switch to Nigeria “,

Jordan Torunarigha 

Imagine an ex international telling his kid not to play for Nigeria. It is usually the other way round. If Jordan does not play for Germany by age 25, the tone will change. I think, he has the talent to go far though.
Perhaps his Dad spoke out of experience regarding our legendary organisational lapses or maybe he fancies his son doing well with the mannschaft. But in spite of our lapses the truth is that somehow apart from Olisadebe who played for Poland and recently Dele Alli no one else who ditched Nigeria really gave good accounts of themselves in the countries they chose.
Presently we are spoilt for choice as regards players particularly in the midfield and attack. Getting quality foreign born players to pledge their international careers to Nigeria is good and if a good mix of foreign born players and our usual players is achieved, it might add an urgency and sharpness to our flair and rhythmic style of play and ultimately produce something new and dynamic.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 3:29pm On May 20, 2017
How would Africa miss Naija and Ghana? It's not like they excluded us from qualifiers. We should learn to respect other African reps. We were not just good enough. Both nations LOST their qualifiers, so no one is missing these nations. The Mali u are talking of, were hammered 6 1 by Zambia and lost 3 2 to Guinea. So they should try better to qualify for the 2019 WC

Icon4s:

I know teams like South Africa and Zambia would have prepared well but because they are not much blessed with talent that will hamper their performances.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 20, 2017
Mujtahida:
You be real Niger delta boy. Your apt witticism made me laugh
grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:10pm On May 20, 2017
Watching Osimhen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:12pm On May 20, 2017
Dedebanky85:
How would Africa miss Naija and Ghana? It's not like they excluded us from qualifiers. We should learn to respect other African reps. We were not just good enough. Both nations LOST their qualifiers, so no one is missing these nations. The Mali u are talking of, were hammered 6 1 by Zambia and lost 3 2 to Guinea. So they should try better to qualify for the 2019 WC

Aside Ghana, Nigeria and Mali list any African country that has ever won a medal at the U20 level.

These 3 teams did not measure up to the qualifications standards for this year but that does not mean if anyone is to predict which African team can win the 2019 edition these 3 would not be top on his mind. Especially Nigerian and Ghana.

Whether you accept the fact or not there is a pedigree in terms of how African teams perform at Youths level.

We know the heavy weights, we know those that are capable of making bold statements.

As for the African teams in this 2017 WYC only Senegal are capable of putting up a fight. The rest will just come to mark present.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:13pm On May 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

All u can do is beat who is in front of you, Zambia could not make Nigeria and Ghana play in the ayc. They were above and beyond the best team in that tournament, very exciting watch. U forget about Zambia in the early 90's and even 2012. Zambia is a very rich country when it comes to football talent.

What did Zambia do at Youth level in the early 90s and 2012?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:20pm On May 20, 2017
Icon4s:

What did Zambia do at Youth level in the early 90s and 2012?

That has nothing to do with the fact that they produce talents. They were one of the exciting teams in 2015 ayc and now they are champions of Africa. Their players are big, strong and super athletic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:21pm On May 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U basically called him trash a couple weeks ago, now u are covering ur tracks.

I don't think anybody here has ever called Awoniyi a trash.

What most here believe is he is not an ' A' class teen striker.

I still have that believe.

Nobody has forgotten what he did at U17. We just know he was boy that had an opportunity of a life time and grabbed it with both hands.

At that U17 he was not in the same class with Isaac Success.

However, he should keep working hard. Sincerely, I am happy he scored some goals of late and wish or hope he continues. But I will not be shocked if he goes on another spell of goals drought.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:31pm On May 20, 2017
Humility017:

josh maja...was only smart enough to go look for rohr and SE players in London...he left his comfort zone...if other players of Nigeria origin had done same...they won't have been refused by rohr.
and for that oshimen calm down sir
i don't think rohr would've keep inviting him if he was not good ......

Firstly, you clearly have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. My involvement with the NFF on its supposed scouting missions in the past has seen every sharp practice and manipulation rear it's head.

Secondly if all Nigerian origin youth players in premiership teams and playing professional league football in England.

Decided to go to the camp uninvited you would have way over 300 players. How on earth would you be able to manage that situation. It would be chaos and by your assumption he will not say no to them.

So dont believe everything you are told.

I willl concede to Rohr's subjective judgement. Because I have not seen Osimhen in depth. But using stats as baseline data for performance measurement Osimhen simply does not qualify.

Football is still subjective and one coaches assessment is another failure. I have never relied solely on just a coaches assessment. I have association with more experienced and qualified coaches than Rohr and I would not take thier word as final.

At the end of the day Rohr is in charge with input from the NFF who will still try to manipulate the situation. I don't have to agree with his decisions just accept there is nothing I can do about them.

Josh will not leave his club Sunderland fc without granted permission drive 300 miles without some official NFF invitation. It's simply not plausible the idea of leaving some assumed comfort zone being the reason he was in camp.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:37pm On May 20, 2017
Dedebanky85:

To me that's very poor form. We should always be gracious losers and not act so high and mighty.

(1) (2) (3) ... (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) (956) (957) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Emmy450(m), Towbaba500(m), komekn(m) and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.