Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,499 members, 7,770,248 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:06 AM

Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident (15793 Views)

Private Computing Career From Home Or Office (Only Abuja Resident) / What Certifications Should I Enrol For As A Fresh Chemical Engineering Grad / Vacancy For Abuja Resident. Apply Asap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Pretty002: 6:49pm On Mar 30, 2016
I am a female from Delta State. I and a lot more people were suspended from the State Civil Service in Delta and we were accused of not getting the job on merit; it was a really frustrating situation. Somehow a job offer with a commercial bank in Abuja sprang up and although the pay was pretty meagre I thought it would be a fresh opportunity to start over.

On getting to Abuja, I contacted an old friend who happens to live in the town; he happens to be married but his wife isn't in the country. So I stayed in his place, went for the job test and subsequently the interview and I finally landed the job.

Exactly 3 weeks into my new job, this old friend of mine whom I was temporarily staying with asked me to leave his house. Curious, I insisted to know why I was been thrown out and of course, he had no genuine reason. He had gone round telling people I didn't do his laundry and I didn't cook. Firstly, besides his undies, he takes all his clothes to the drycleaners and I couldn't possibly be washing the delicate clothing of a man who isn't my spouse. Secondly, he never gave me a kobo to prepare a meal. The one time he gave me funds of any sorts, it was only a thousand naira and it wasn't meant for food but I added my money to it and ensured I still prepared a good meal.

After leaving this old friends place, another friend of mine introduced me to someone else I could stay with; even though this person I was introduced to was yet another guy I still moved in with him as I had no other choice.
This new guy unlike the first wasn't married but he had two children. Unlike the first guy who is a Christian, this new guy is a Muslim but that didn't bother me at all - I was just happy to have a place to stay. He offered to let me stay with him until I was settled enough to get a place of my own.

The new guy lives in a 2 bedroom apartment somewhere in Garki and although he owned the house, he had a tenant – he had let one of the rooms out to some other guy. My biggest concern was the fact that my new “landlord” let my sleep in his bedroom while he slept on the couch in the living room. Since I wasn’t comfortable with the idea I walked up to him and tried to let him understand that as the visitor I should be the one sleeping on the couch not him but he insisted that it wasn’t a problem.

Exactly two weeks after moving in, my new landlord travelled for a few days, on his return, I sensed something wasn’t right but I didn’t say anything. The following day the friend who introduced me to him called me and said the man had told him that he was going to ask me to leave. He said the guy wasn’t comfortable sleeping on the couch in his own house. All that talk came as a surprise to me. Eventually the landlord himself confronted me. He said he liked me. He said it was not going to be possible for him to be in the same house as me and not want me. He said I had to either give in or get out.

His intentions were made known to me on the 23rd of March 2016. The following day my head was clogged. I couldn’t think, I had headaches, I was almost in shock. During the usual morning meetings we have at the office, I almost fainted – I was told I was falling to the floor but someone somehow held me back. That night I didn’t sleep at home, a colleague in the office who stays in a family house got me a room in a hotel. While I was in my hotel room sobbing and thinking about my next step, this landlord sent me a text. He stated in the text that I should have told him I wouldn’t be coming home that night and he believes we can talk.

On reaching the house the following day being Good Friday, he began to talk about me providing him a girlfriend, preferably a working class lady who is my colleague. Since that was to be my licence to having a roof over my head, I accepted the offer and promised to provide him a girl. For some reason, the very next day he changed his mind and said it was me or nobody; on declining his proposal he asked me to move out the next day by 10am. By the way, I had found a calabash with a red cloth tied around the tip along with a brazier in his wardrobe. I don’t know what it was and I am not sure I want to.

By 10am on Easter Sunday I moved my things into the security post as I tried to figure out my next move. I went to a garden nearby, practically sat there all day calling people I believed would be able to help but finally I ended up sleeping in one guest inn around.

I have heard a lot of things about the Federal Capital Territory but I never thought I would experience it first-hand.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by kataleya(f): 7:22pm On Mar 30, 2016
Eyah i feel 4 you. That's the major issue in abuja- accommodation. Most people are wicked and constantly look for ways to exploit others and to them a single girl with challenges like you is fair game. my advice would be to try and get a place in the suburbs like nyanya , maraba etc. Houses in these areas are quite cheap compared to town. In the meantime u can solicit help from your church at home, that is if you are close to the pastor as he can link you up with a branch here. Jst take heart ok, its part of life's experience.

13 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Nobody: 7:31pm On Mar 30, 2016
@Pretty002,locate a mosque or a church and tell them your predicament....am sure you will get help smiley

6 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by tallfish145(m): 7:50pm On Mar 30, 2016
Simple solution:you can relocate to mpape,where houses are cheap and affordable.There,you can get an accomodation of 3-4k per month and landlords do collect 6months rent.Self contain there is between 70 to 80k per year.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Barney11: 10:05pm On Mar 30, 2016
Buh poster u get mind oh,how can u stay with a married man and later another and not expect them to demand when you know that they are not related to u.dont u have a female friend or better still go to suburb and get a house.u should have tot hard before jumping in with a man! Itz hard to get an angel,the world is not that simple and easy.wat if u were killed in those strange places ?u get mind sha!

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by brownemmanuel43(m): 10:40pm On Mar 30, 2016
chai, is so so bad dat noting goes for noting in dis country. My dear i feel ur pains, just try and locate any orthodox church around, anglican, catholic, or some notable pentecostal churches around i believe they can be of help, i hv tried it and it really worked. Reputable churches ohhhhh

1 Like

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by macaranta(m): 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2016
Eya...abuja is damn expensive.
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by nitt: 11:24pm On Mar 30, 2016
abuja is not as rosy as it's made to sound.

without accommodation and a car, abuja is not for you.

but, it seems u r not making effort to get a self-con or sumtin even on the outskirts.

The mistakes most new employees make wen called for interviews with good prospects of landing the job is that, searching for a place should go in tandem with attaining a job esp in a big city.

One thing I hate in life is squatting esp with total strangers or acquaintances.

One way or another, there is bound to be a problem that will spoil such arrangements.

So, the only advice n sensible thing to do now, is to get a house agent's number n begin the search for a self-con on the outskirts.

best wishes

13 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 30, 2016

5 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Nobody: 3:32am On Mar 31, 2016
why put up with a stranger,and a male with blood running in his veins?

thats bound to happen,why not tell some colleagues,or the management,they might be helpful.

5 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by matrix199(m): 7:17am On Mar 31, 2016
Why not try one of these Christian fellowship lodges outside town(nyanya, karu,). There's one along abacha road. They offer bed-spaces(male and female lodges) to NYSC members, or stranded christians. There are 4 bedspaces per room and 2bedspaces per room. The former goes for N100 daily, the latter N200 daily. I hope you're not particular about location(staying in town), cos more than half of the workers in abuja stay in the outskirts of Abuja. There are cheaper accommodations in the outskirts. You can manage staying in a condusive lodge, save the much you can, then get a room or self-con apartment, till everything becomes rosy for you.

You should know the risk of staying with a male, let alone a stranger.

18 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by henrydadon(m): 8:42am On Mar 31, 2016
if u haven't got enough money with u abuja nat for u..except u wanna hussel
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by ichidodo: 8:43am On Mar 31, 2016
Abuja is relatively easy on first timers,the ambience,the presence of economic opportunities and tranquility...You just got on the wrong end of a rogue opportunist.

3 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Abbeyunique2(m): 8:43am On Mar 31, 2016
i feel ur pain. Your story is almost the same with a lot of others. let perseverance be your watchword.
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Mediapace: 8:43am On Mar 31, 2016
Mr A: Buhari will win presidential election in 2019.

Mr B: Fuel will be #5 per litre next week.

Mr A: meaning?

Mr B: I thought we were listing impossible things. Chai

2 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by opalu: 8:46am On Mar 31, 2016
My dear, do everything possible not to give in to the wiles of the devil and the temptations to defile yourself over accommodation or any reason for that matter. I have some mini flats in Gwarimpa. One of them would be vacant in may ending. How I wish you could get a makeshift arrangement till then. So I send you the keys then

6 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by 5starmilitant: 8:46am On Mar 31, 2016
Eyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. This is one reason I like the catholic, Anglican, and other missionary churches. The vicarage is always open to all.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by bqlekan(m): 8:46am On Mar 31, 2016
oga o, humans angry

May Allah ease your path. Any Abuja resident here? kindly help this lady

5 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by flawlessT(f): 8:47am On Mar 31, 2016
Will comment on d topic buh first of all...It's ma birthday!

1 Like

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by banme1(m): 8:47am On Mar 31, 2016
Move to aso rock. Buhari no de house.

25 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Billygee2u: 8:48am On Mar 31, 2016
Pretty002:
I am a female from Delta State. I and a lot more people were suspended from the State Civil Service in Delta and we were accused of not getting the job on merit; it was a really frustrating situation. Somehow a job offer with a commercial bank in Abuja sprang up and although the pay was pretty meagre I thought it would be a fresh opportunity to start over.

On getting to Abuja, I contacted an old friend who happens to live in the town; he happens to be married but his wife isn't in the country. So I stayed in his place, went for the job test and subsequently the interview and I finally landed the job.

Exactly 3 weeks into my new job, this old friend of mine whom I was temporarily staying with asked me to leave his house. Curious, I insisted to know why I was been thrown out and of course, he had no genuine reason. He had gone round telling people I didn't do his laundry and I didn't cook. Firstly, besides his undies, he takes all his clothes to the drycleaners and I couldn't possibly be washing the delicate clothing of a man who isn't my spouse. Secondly, he never gave me a kobo to prepare a meal. The one time he gave me funds of any sorts, it was only a thousand naira and it wasn't meant for food but I added my money to it and ensured I still prepared a good meal.

After leaving this old friends place, another friend of mine introduced me to someone else I could stay with; even though this person I was introduced to was yet another guy I still moved in with him as I had no other choice.
This new guy unlike the first wasn't married but he had two children. Unlike the first guy who is a Christian, this new guy is a Muslim but that didn't bother me at all - I was just happy to have a place to stay. He offered to let me stay with him until I was settled enough to get a place of my own.

The new guy lives in a 2 bedroom apartment somewhere in Garki and although he owned the house, he had a tenant – he had let one of the rooms out to some other guy. My biggest concern was the fact that my new “landlord” let my sleep in his bedroom while he slept on the couch in the living room. Since I wasn’t comfortable with the idea I walked up to him and tried to let him understand that as the visitor I should be the one sleeping on the couch not him but he insisted that it wasn’t a problem.

Exactly two weeks after moving in, my new landlord travelled for a few days, on his return, I sensed something wasn’t right but I didn’t say anything. The following day the friend who introduced me to him called me and said the man had told him that he was going to ask me to leave. He said the guy wasn’t comfortable sleeping on the couch in his own house. All that talk came as a surprise to me. Eventually the landlord himself confronted me. He said he liked me. He said it was not going to be possible for him to be in the same house as me and not want me. He said I had to either give in or get out.

His intentions were made known to me on the 23rd of March 2016. The following day my head was clogged. I couldn’t think, I had headaches, I was almost in shock. During the usual morning meetings we have at the office, I almost fainted – I was told I was falling to the floor but someone somehow held me back. That night I didn’t sleep at home, a colleague in the office who stays in a family house got me a room in a hotel. While I was in my hotel room sobbing and thinking about my next step, this landlord sent me a text. He stated in the text that I should have told him I wouldn’t be coming home that night and he believes we can talk.

On reaching the house the following day being Good Friday, he began to talk about me providing him a girlfriend, preferably a working class lady who is my colleague. Since that was to be my licence to having a roof over my head, I accepted the offer and promised to provide him a girl. For some reason, the very next day he changed his mind and said it was me or nobody; on declining his proposal he asked me to move out the next day by 10am. By the way, I had found a calabash with a red cloth tied around the tip along with a brazier in his wardrobe. I don’t know what it was and I am not sure I want to.

By 10am on Easter Sunday I moved my things into the security post as I tried to figure out my next move. I went to a garden nearby, practically sat there all day calling people I believed would be able to help but finally I ended up sleeping in one guest inn around.

I have heard a lot of things about the Federal Capital Territory but I never thought I would experience it first-hand.
sorry
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by donbugy(m): 8:48am On Mar 31, 2016
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by MadCow1: 8:49am On Mar 31, 2016
cheya
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 31, 2016
Rents in Abuja are high. Unless you have the cash....it is better to stay in the outskirts like Lugbe and Gwagwalada...and commute into town every day.
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 31, 2016
Op sorry to hear this.

You should get a place outside town, like in Kubwa or something. It's cheaper and affordable and not far from town.
Living in Abuja is expensive and I'm sure you don't want all your money to go to your landlord.

3 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by octopusfreaky(f): 8:50am On Mar 31, 2016
OP, have bn in your shoes on several occasions @Abuja,Bauchi and Osun. My experience was worse than yours cox it turned out bad Thank God have gotten over it..I just dont understand why nothing goes free in this country.
Next time go to church nearby..

1 Like

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 31, 2016
flawlessT:
Will comment on d topic buh first of all...It's ma birthday!

Happy birthday!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by tottinova: 8:50am On Mar 31, 2016
Pretty002:

This is the most ridiculous post I've ever read.
Iono what to say to the op

2 Likes

Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Sirmuel1(m): 8:50am On Mar 31, 2016
Hmmmmmmm

*booked*

I dey come back grin

I think I'm back cheesy

Come sleep Bed, landlord say n0 don't worry. You suppose don know say Landlord dey find free puss. grin Boiz don wise, none is smiling grin

Anyway, just talk to any female co-worker, they could hook you up with someone or just find a temporary accomodation in Kubwa, its cheaper there.
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by donziller(m): 8:51am On Mar 31, 2016
Humm..., i dey com make i poo
Re: Trials Of A Fresh Abuja Resident by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 31, 2016
banme1:
Move to aso rock. Buhari no de house.

I don't understand, are you trying to make a joke out of this?

How can she just move to Aso rock?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Addax Workers Lock Out CEO, Colin Klapa, Begin Strike / ICAN Stops Direct Conversion Of Foreign Qualifications / Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.