Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation (1576 Views)

Millions Of Voters Attempt To Elect Mo Salah As President Of Egypt / David Beckham Signs Autograph On Girl’s Buttock, Incurs Wife’s Wrath / Gambler Incurs N145,000 Debt While Celebrating N36,000 Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by P0intBlank(m): 7:22pm On Mar 30, 2016
Lionel Messi has sparked indignation in Egypt after making a seemingly kind gesture.
The Barcelona forward offered to donate his football boots for a charity auction during an appearance on Egyptian TV programme, 'Yes, I am famous.'

But the 28-year-old soon discovered that his kind-hearted gesture comes loaded with insulting connotations in Arabic culture.
In Egypt, as well as other countries in the Arab region, the shoe is symbolic of dirt, and is often used as a tool of insult.What was meant to be a well-intentioned act soon turned sour as Egyptians used social media to air their displeasure with Messi's insulting act.

Egyptian parliament member Said Hasasin encapsulated the indignation with the world's most iconic footballer. He appeared on TV to discuss Messi's donation "We have never been humiliated during our seven thousand years of civilisation. I will hit you with the shoes, Messi," Hasasin said on an Egyptian TV show.
"This is my shoe. I donate it to Argentina."

One Egyptian Twitter user posted: "This is the most disgusting. He was paid thousands of dollars and at the end he donated his shoes and the stupid presenter was happy,"

A spokesman for the Egyptian Football Association joined condemnation of the Barca star's gesture. “Our poor people don’t need him. Shoes work for him," said Azmy Megahed.
“I’m confused, if he intends to humiliate us, then I say he better put those shoes on his head and on the heads of the people supporting him. "Give your shoes to your country, Argentina is full of poverty."

[url] www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/30/lionel-messi-incurs-the-wrath-of-egypt-with-disgusting-boot-dona/
[/url]

Dis people sef
Re: Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by Mologi(m): 7:32pm On Mar 30, 2016
Rubbish
Re: Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by Ekugbeh(m): 7:39pm On Mar 30, 2016
Donate shoes... He thot they can practice all trash in every con3 ryt
Re: Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by Adeolu4(m): 6:40pm On Dec 12, 2016
Lol
Re: Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by Franky826: 7:11pm On Dec 12, 2016
grin

Lol. One man's meat is another's poison.
Donate it in European countries and everyone goes yolo. Cos if it ever gets auctioned that's some cool money.

Dear messi, imhotep and Egyptian mummies are coming for ya head. Run messi run!!! grin
Re: Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by newheart2(m): 7:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
the could have rejected it from day one nau
Re: Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by Sleemg(m): 8:11am On Dec 13, 2016
lol...
this what happen when you refuse to do background check on your "client" or audience when it come to business.
Re: Lionel Messi Incurs The Wrath Of Egypt With 'disgusting' Boot Donation by whizzyleejr(m): 7:40pm On Jul 27, 2017
Rubbish belief do they expect to start signing cheque or what? can't believe country like that have such a belief

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona President Appoints New Coach For The Team. / Today Monday Sure Football Prediction / Photo: Football Fans Celebrate Goals At Funeral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.