Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,829 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? (16089 Views)

20 Amazing Facts About The Computer / NO Wifi Power Button On My System As Required... Pls Help / Problem Of Unwanted Shutting Down And Restarting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 8:10am On Mar 31, 2016
I have someone who is always raging anytime i shut down my computer system via the power button as he claims it damages my computer even though i've customized it to shut down any time i press it.
(Control panel/Hardware and Sound/ Power options/Change what the power buttons do)
and i don't think it has any effect.
But from what i know, if you press and hold the power button, it means your computer won't be able to shut down cleanly, you may lose work and file system might get corrupted.. If you try this on windows 95, it will run a scandisk if you boot it back attempting to repair all damages caused by the shut down.

My question is which is the best way to shut down a computer?
Power button or windows shut down..
NB: i've customized mine to shut down anytime i press it and i don't press and hold it to force shut down except when the need arises i.e When the computer freezes

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Tallesty1(m): 8:19am On Mar 31, 2016
If you customized it to shutdown when power button is pressed then it is really save but holding it down until it shuts down is dangerous. It may lead to loss of data, damage of Hard disk etc.

It is just like removing a battery from your phone without turning it off. It might never work properly again.

10 Likes

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Patented: 8:33am On Mar 31, 2016
I am not an ICT wizz but i believe it is safe, if you have programmed the power button to "shut down". In such a case when you press the power button the computer has become programmed to recognise it as a shut down prompt and will commence normal shut down procedure. It's the long press of the power button that can create a problem as the computer will not shut down but simply go off. Irrespective of how you shut down as long as the computer recognises it as a shut down command you should be fine. My 2 kobo (by no means an expert opinion)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 8:38am On Mar 31, 2016
Tallesty1:
If you customized it to shutdown when power button is pressed then it is really save but holding it until it shuts down is dangerous.

It just like removing a battery from your phone without turning it off. It might never work properly again.

thanks, exactly my thought
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 9:09am On Mar 31, 2016
Patented:
I am not am ICT wizz but i beleive it is safe if you have programmed the power button to "shut down". in such a case when you press the power button the computer has become programmed to recognise it as a shut down prompt and will commence normal shut down proceedure. its the long press of the power button that can create a problem as the computer will not shut down but simply go off. Irrespective of how you shut down as long as the computer recofnises it as a shut down command you should be fine. My 2 kobo (by no means an expert opinion)

Thanks alot

Lalasticlala, this might as well educate others
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by khalhokage(m): 9:36am On Mar 31, 2016
So long as it's not a forced shutdown(holding down the power button) then it doesn't matter, but nevertheless hibernating is better for your hard drive in the long run than shutting down all the time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 9:39am On Mar 31, 2016
khalhokage:
So long as it's not a forced shutdown(holding down the power button then it doesn't matter) but nevertheless hibernating is better for your hard drive in the long run than shutting down all the time.

Noted, i love hibernating.. If i close the lid, it will hibernate
thanks
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by khorlynz(m): 10:14am On Mar 31, 2016
It's safe to shut it down as a result of the setting you've done but forcibly shutting your system down is not safe.

1 Like

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by makingsense(m): 11:14am On Mar 31, 2016
no
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by DBossNG(m): 11:15am On Mar 31, 2016
I am too sure
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Guyman02: 11:15am On Mar 31, 2016
Shutting down by pressing the button will not allow several programs running in the background to shutdown correctly and this may cause your system to crash and you may lose valuable data as the system may require formatting if you go for repairs.

1 Like

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 31, 2016
Not really except during emergency maybe smoke from screen or keyboard grin

1 Like

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by joey150(m): 11:16am On Mar 31, 2016
If you force a shut down(which is same as pushing the power button) it dosent fry the motherboard in the pc lol.
The computer just can't guarantee that It would save all your unfinished work or properly close all the running applications. Which in turn makes it boot slower on the next startup.
Its just like parking in a rush for a journey..your clothes get rumpled but the bag or clothe isnt harmed.
na so i take understand am. Dont form Charles Babbage for me here pls.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by MARKone(m): 11:16am On Mar 31, 2016
It does not, as long as you don't press and hold. Pressing once, and releasing the button closes all applications, then powers down the system properly.

1 Like

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Benart(m): 11:19am On Mar 31, 2016
hmm let me ask google undecided
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by fitinwell: 11:20am On Mar 31, 2016
[size=18pt]Op you have not passed any message as far as i know.. All you have written here are just repetition of words. What the computer system understands as power off is shutdown.. So in whatever mode you did to achieve this.. As far as its shutting down.. No problem.. In Nigeria we don't shutdown.. Nepa does that for us.. Thanks[/size]

11 Likes

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by dfrost: 11:21am On Mar 31, 2016
Nothing will happen. That's why it's a power button. Previous generations of laptops used to have issues with it but not this generation.

Ever asked what happens if you pull your flash drive without ejecting normally?

1 Like

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 11:21am On Mar 31, 2016
joey150:
If you force a shut down(which is same as pushing the power button) it dosent fry the motherboard in the pc lol.
The computer just can't guarantee that It would save all your unfinished work or properly close all the running applications. Which in turn makes it boot slower on the next startup.
Its just like parking in a rush for a journey..your clothes get rumpled but the bag or clothe isnt harmed.
na so i take understand am. Dont form Charles Babbage for me here pls.

but i've customized it to shut down like the normal shut down
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by godoluwa(m): 11:22am On Mar 31, 2016
Marvel1206:
I have someone who is always raging anytime i shut down my computer system via the power button as he claims it damages my computer even though i've customized it to shut down any time i press it.
(Control panel/Hardware and Sound/ Power options/Change what the power buttons do)
But from what i know, if you press and hold the power button, it means your computer won't be able to shut down cleanly, you may lose work and file system might get corrupted.. If you try this on windows 95, it will run a scandisk if you boot it back attempting to repair all damages caused by the shut down.

NB: i've customized mine to shut down anytime i press it and i don't press and hold it to force shut down except when the need arises i.e When the computer freezes
it will damage ur pc hd
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by darocha1: 11:24am On Mar 31, 2016
Shutting down via the power button is never safe.
It disrupts the running application on your computer and this creates several bad clusters which eventually results in crashing the hard drive.
Please there is a reason OS developers created the
°Shut down
°Hibernate
°Standby etc buttons

2 Likes

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by darocha1: 11:27am On Mar 31, 2016
fitinwell:
[size=18pt]Op you have not passed any message as far as i know.. All you have written here are just repetition of words. What the computer system understands as power off is shutdown.. So in whatever mode you did to achieve this.. As far as its shutting down.. No problem.. In Nigeria we don't shutdown.. Nepa does that for us.. Thanks[/size]

If a disruption in power supply shuts down your pc then bros get a new battery for you laptop or get a ups for your desktop.
Shutdown must be done correctly and not by nepa/phcn

3 Likes

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 11:30am On Mar 31, 2016
darocha1:
Shutting down via the power button is never safe.
It disrupts the running application on your computer and this creates several bad clusters which eventually results in crashing the hard drive.
Please there is a reason OS developers created the
°Shut down
°Hibernate
°Standby etc buttons

Shutting down via the power button and through the window's shut down menu is the same as i have customized it. I don't press and hold and is it still not safe?
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by gurunlocker: 11:31am On Mar 31, 2016
very wrong... it kills hard disk bit by bit... and it may make the OS faulty....
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by darocha1: 11:31am On Mar 31, 2016
Marvel1206:

Op what planet are you from? how can you still be making reference to win 95 in this age and time.
This post should be taken off fp for that.
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by ikombe: 11:33am On Mar 31, 2016
fitinwell:
still trying to understand d crap you wrote undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by darocha1: 11:33am On Mar 31, 2016
Marvel1206:

Shutting down via the power button and through the window's shut down menu is the same as i have customized it. I don't press and hold and is it still not safe?

You are asking questions and @ the same time you are answering it yourself.
Since you have drawn a conclusion it is the same then go on with it. I hope its only game you use your pc for
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 11:34am On Mar 31, 2016
darocha1:

Op what planet are you from? how can you still be making reference to win 95 in this age and time.
This post should be taken off fp for that.

Lol, i had to tongue
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by ikombe: 11:35am On Mar 31, 2016
darocha1:

If a disruption in power supply shuts down your pc then bros get a new battery for you laptop or get a ups for your desktop.
help me tell d idiot undecided
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Marvel1206: 11:35am On Mar 31, 2016
darocha1:

You are asking questions and @ the same time you are answering it yourself.
Since you have drawn a conclusion it is the same then go on with it. I hope its only game you use your pc for

i've not really drawn a conclusion, i might change my mind
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by free2ryhme: 11:42am On Mar 31, 2016
Marvel1206:

Which computer nigerian don do before you dey complain
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by fitinwell: 11:46am On Mar 31, 2016
darocha1:

Open eyes bro.. A typical nigerian knows what am saying..... You dont teach me how.. Computer system runs here
Re: Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? by Onyi42(m): 11:48am On Mar 31, 2016
If not..what was the power button now made for

(1) (2) (Reply)

Make Your Computer Welcome U, By Saying Ur Name On Startup / Easyworship 7.1.4.0 Offline Bibles / Airtel ZLT M30 Mifi Unlock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.